TEAM: Gutbusters (March)

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    March 7
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 6km in 47 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Good pace again.

Not much else to report today.

@jackswife1207. Emotional eating is a difficult one to solve. Usually it is a combination of identifying triggers (while working strategies to avoid them), being mindful of what and when you eat, and possibly getting professional help if you are unable to do this on your own (or do not have support of your family).

Weight does not define you (or anyone else). Changing weight will not change who you are. It will not magically make you happy, nor will people automatically notice (some do, and it's a nice feeling when they do, but you cannot rely on it). If you are not confident in your own "self image", being 20, 50 or 100 lbs lighter will not change this (you will always find something to be critical of).

What attaining, and maintaining, a healthy weight does is give you more options of things to do and can help you enjoy more of what you choose to do. You will have more energy, you "feel" better and more willing to do stuff, less stuff hurts, you heal faster, you get sick less often.

Remember, the scale measures one thing, and one thing alone. The force gravity makes the mass of the shell you inhabit exert upon the ground on which you are standing. That is it. Your self worth, the amount of good you do for others, how clever you are, how disciplined you are (or are not), how much you influence others for good or ill, etc.. *NONE* of this is represented by the number on the scale.

Enough for tonight. I'll soap box more another night.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for March 07 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • JessieCanDoThis
    JessieCanDoThis Posts: 46 Member
    edited March 2018
    March 7th weigh in:

Username: JessieCanDoThis
    Weigh in Week: Week 1
    Weigh in Day: Wednesday
    Previous weeks weight: 273.6 lbs
    Today’s weight: 268.8 (-4.8 lbs)

Exercise: Yes (Friday - Monday)
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked? Yes

I changed the calorie intake for 1.5 lbs loss a week and it’s at 1680 which I have been staying at. Worked out only 4 times last week (trying a goal of 5 days a week) but looking for a productive week!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Username: aeloine
    Weigh in Week: Week 1
    Weigh in Day: Wednesday
    Today’s weight: 223.6

My birthday was this weekend and I am fine with having gone up. I was 226.4 on Sunday, so I've lost almost 3 pounds in 3 days. It's nice to be able to see water weight come on and not worry about it. It's nice that it landed on the first week of this month's challenge, too, so maybe it'll help me make a big drop this week ;P
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,940 Member
    Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh-in week: Week 1
    Weigh-in day: Wednesday
    Previous week's weight: 156.2 pounds (was up about 3 pounds as I had been out of town)
    Current weight: 154.1 pounds (down 2.1 pounds of the weight I had gained)

Got off some of my vacation weight which is good.
    Was away for 8 days and gained between 3.0 pounds and 3.8 pounds.
    After 6 full days home, I have lost 2.1 pounds which I am happy about.
    Still need to lose 0.9 pounds to get back to the weight I was before I went out of town.
    Then need to lose 0.3 pounds to get back to my December 27th weight.
    Then can finally start to lose "new" weight!
    So tired of gaining and re-losing the same pounds over and over again!!!!!!
  • craigo3154
    Today’s weight: 268.8 (-4.8 lbs)

I changed the calorie intake for 1.5 lbs loss a week and it’s at 1680 which I have been staying at. Worked out only 4 times last week (trying a goal of 5 days a week) but looking for a productive week!

@JessieCanDoThis. Well done. This is big change for a week. Expect weight to stabilise for a bit before another big drop (or woosh).

I encourage people to review their results vs plan regularly. As you lose weight, the daily calorie requirements change. Review of daily calorie intake should be done at least monthly, or every 10 lbs weight has changed (whichever comes sooner).

The other thing I encourage is measuring size (hips, waist, chest). These move slower, but more consistently. Water is the biggest contributor to weight variances and it is generally stored more near the extremities. You may see reductions is size without corresponding weight changes (especially working out frequently). Also lean muscle weighs more than fat for the same size (and burns more calories at rest).

When actively losing weight, it may not budge for 2 to 3 weeks. However, if size is decreasing, stick to your plan. The weight will eventually "get the memo". (I found this occurs even when weighing daily - but trends in the 7 day average tend to stall less).

Most should be aiming for around 1% a week loss at most (for aggressive weight loss). Any more than this must be managed very carefully (else the body may rebel in unpleasant ways - persistent fatigue, metabolic adaption, increased susceptibility to illness, etc).
  • craigo3154
    inshapeCK wrote: »
    Previous week's weight: 156.2 pounds (was up about 3 pounds as I had been out of town)
    Current weight: 154.1 pounds (down 2.1 pounds of the weight I had gained)

Got off some of my vacation weight which is good.
    Was away for 8 days and gained between 3.0 pounds and 3.8 pounds.
    After 6 full days home, I have lost 2.1 pounds which I am happy about.
    Still need to lose 0.9 pounds to get back to the weight I was before I went out of town.
    Then need to lose 0.3 pounds to get back to my December 27th weight.
    Then can finally start to lose "new" weight!
    So tired of gaining and re-losing the same pounds over and over again!!!!!!

@inshapeCK. This gaining/losing cycle is fairly normal round vacation time. The real trick is to set a non-vacation routine that can comfortably get you to (and keep you at) your desired healthy size/shape/fitness.

btw, you can easily lose 2 lbs of mainly water at night while sleeping, so within 1 lb of where you want is really close. (eg. Last night I was 142.6 before bed and 141.3 first thing in the morning - I am currently about as low as I want to go and need to be real careful).

It's not a diet, its a lifestyle. You will need to continue the "management/maintenance" of your body for the rest of your life. It's not big thing's it the little things. This does not mean you do without, it means you balance the intake with the requirements.

For example, in my "maintenance", I rarely snack. Snacking was extra calories fulfilling a "psychological" want, not a "physical" need. They did not keep me full. If anything they were doing me harm (promoting insulin resistance - I'll explain more if asked). By not snacking I could have larger, more fulfilling meals on the same (or smaller) calorie budget.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    March 7:
    Exercise: yes
    Calories: no
    Tracked: yes

I even ate the kinds of foods that I am sticking to right now, and below maintenance. But that was a lot of peanut butter!
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Jamiewilldo
    Tracked. Yes
    Calories. Yes
    Exercised. Yes

• GoBlue1981
    GoBlue1981 Posts: 358 Member
  • Stimpy56
    Stimpy56 Posts: 592 Member
    Username: Stimpy56
    Week: MAR WK 2
    Weigh day: Thursday
    Previous week: 241
    Current weight: 237.8

The wife and I are eating better this month and I feel better after going to the gym. My knees don't hurt and I can get in some good workouts. This week will be tough as I will be out of town and away from the gym most days this week. But I will do what I can to keep loosing weight and looking forward to getting out of the 230's!

Staying Moving and Stay Positive!
  • mollymom07
    mollymom07 Posts: 91 Member
    March 6th

Exercise: Yes
    Tracking: YEs

March 7th

March 8th

I'm being so good this week!
  • jackswife1207
    jackswife1207 Posts: 59 Member
    March 6
    Calories: yes
    Tracking: yes

March 7

So it's kind of a bummer to put NO on my calorie check most days. My MFP calorie goal is set at 1200 which is hard to hit. I'm happy if I'm under 1500, which I do most days.
  • concordancia

So it's kind of a bummer to put NO on my calorie check most days. My MFP calorie goal is set at 1200 which is hard to hit. I'm happy if I'm under 1500, which I do most days.

Why not set MFP to the lowest rate of weight loss and get a more reasonable goal?
  • jenjournaljunkie
    jenjournaljunkie Posts: 24 Member
    Sorry about your fur baby
  • craigo3154
    Stimpy56 wrote: »
    Username: Stimpy56
    Week: MAR WK 2
    Weigh day: Thursday
    Previous week: 241
    Current weight: 237.8

The wife and I are eating better this month and I feel better after going to the gym. My knees don't hurt and I can get in some good workouts. This week will be tough as I will be out of town and away from the gym most days this week. But I will do what I can to keep loosing weight and looking forward to getting out of the 230's!

Staying Moving and Stay Positive!

@Stimpy56. Great week. Glad your knees no longer hurt. It really limits your activities.

Four things you can do out of town to keep losing weight:
    1. Go for a walk each day (see the sights a little :) ).
    2. Try some bodyweight exercises (just a few; push-ups (from knees if required), air-squat, lunge, door-frame row, etc..).
    3. Try preference protein over carbs in food choices where possible (and not-overdo the beverages).
    4. Limit snacks, save appetite for meals (on-the-go snacks tend to be calorie rich and satiety poor).
  • craigo3154
    March 6

March 7

@jackswife1207. I find 1200 *WAY* too low for what I see of your stats.

If you are of average height 5'4", sedentary lifestyle (Little or No Exercise, Moderate Walking, Desk Job (Away from Home)), and aiming to lose 1 lb per week, the calorie target should be round 1450 (Source: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ - it's a little complicated but it is a great first guide).

Remember, this is rough guide. Calories out in real life are never exact, but the best approximation we can aspire to outside a laboratory environment. Daily intake should be tracked over time and modified to suit what is observed. Calculators are a starting point.

I find the approach needs to be twofold:
    1. Preference foods that keep you full that are not calorie dense (get this right and keeping in budget becomes MUCH easier).
    2. Ensure you have some daily activity (as you are already doing).

My personal solution to #1 is (this works for me, but may not suit you):
    • Limit snacks (more at meals)
    • Preference no calorie beverages (water or black tea unsweetened tea)
    • Preference protein and fats over carbs.
    • Carbs with fibre (limit gluten foods that tend to have the fibre reduced naturally over decades of crop yield enhancing farming practice).

Wheat/Gluten based product have long shelf life, are heavily subsided, provide a lot of calories for little weight and therefore in plentiful supply. The problem is that for a lot of people, the digestion of these products does not trigger satiety (like fats, protein and fibre do), so the tendency becomes to over-eat these products.

I notice I also tend to drink a glass or two of water before most meals/food. Don't know if this helps with wanting to eat less, but it keeps me hydrated. I do know that soups do keep me satiated longer though (this is my regular lunch if not eating leftovers).

Anyway. Hope this helps you.
  • craigo3154
    March 8
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 3km in 24 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Short walk on/dusk (arrive home in the dark).

Busy work day.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for March 08 is lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2018
    79tqbw1jiy75.jpeg
    vqiky3ogb9ta.jpeg
    March 6

March 7

Today a NSV. Tried snowshoeing a particular trail 1.5 years ago. Only made it an hour and never made it to the overlook. Today, I completed the trail in roughly 2.5 hours. Took lots of breaks on the uphill portions but kept going!
  • dropitlikeitshottt
    dropitlikeitshottt Posts: 15 Member
    name: dropitlikeitshottt
    SW: 265
    CW: 263 (wahoo!)
  • concordancia
    March 8;
    Tracked: yes
This discussion has been closed.