TEAM: Gutbusters (March)

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    March 14
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5km in 38 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

5km walk again. Late dinner, so finished after dark.

Finally finished new race quad build today. This is the first one I have built completely from scratch. I'm a bit of perfectionist, so it has everything on it I want and nothing I don't want. Also vision correction lenses arrived for my FPV goggles. All I can say is WOW. I can see where I am flying clearly and the new race quad flew amazingly (so fast, smooth and controllable).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for March 14 is side lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    @craigo3154 , it would seem that Australia and the US have diverged in blood glucose standards. Here, the prediabetes cutoff is slightly lower, at 100, not 110.

As for the fasting being the highest of the day, it is considered a rare form not fully understood. I am just going to have to wait for the A1C next month. I am also considering requesting a prescription for a continuous monitor, as that can give the best picture, including what is happening over night. It is quite possible that it has as much to do with the extended hours of no physical activity as the fasting.
  • GoBlue1981
    GoBlue1981 Posts: 358 Member
    @inshapeCK so awesome! I told you it would come back off faster than you thought! You’re doing so great, congrats on pushing through and seeing the results you worked so hard for!

@aeloine you’re the success story we all want! A year of tracking and consistent progress! Congrats to you on the well deserved accomplishment!
  • craigo3154
    @craigo3154 , it would seem that Australia and the US have diverged in blood glucose standards. Here, the prediabetes cutoff is slightly lower, at 100, not 110.

As for the fasting being the highest of the day, it is considered a rare form not fully understood. I am just going to have to wait for the A1C next month. I am also considering requesting a prescription for a continuous monitor, as that can give the best picture, including what is happening over night. It is quite possible that it has as much to do with the extended hours of no physical activity as the fasting.

@concordancia. The numbers get a bit confusing.

A1C is measured as a percentage and tracks the last 3 months through testing of hemoglobin saturation. (5.7 to 6.4 is pre-diabetic - this is the equivalent to an average of 110 mg/dL to 135 mg/dL ).

The Fasting Plasma Glucose is taken after 8 hours of no eating or drinking. For this 100 mg/dL to 125mg/dL is considered pre-diabetic.

The Oral Glucose Tolerance Test is a two-hour test that checks your blood glucose levels before and 2 hours after you drink a special sweet drink. For this 140 mg/dL to 199 mg/dL is considered pre-diabetic.

There is ongoing research into the classifications of diabetes. Diabetes is the general label to high blood sugar, which is a symptom, not a cause. The underlying systems that regulate the bodies blood sugar levels are much more complicated. (ie. insulin production, insulin release, cell insulin resistance, auto-immune response to insulin, liver glycogen storage, glucagon production, glucagon response, auto-immune response to glucagon). A failure in any one of these systems can cause an elevated blood sugar response, but each should be handled differently (some slightly differently, some radically different).

A continuous monitor is a good step so that blood sugar response to daily activities can be tracked to determine the root cause of any issue. Address any root cause and and problems go away.

You sound like you are right on the lowest edge of any real concern though with the numbers quoted.

(As a side note: I am convinced that obesity can be a side-effect of diabetes, not a cause. Treat the root cause of the diabetes symptom and it is likely if the obesity was a side-effect, it will be rectified.

Giving insulin to a type-2 diabetic does not address the root cause of the diabetic symptom, just masks it. It may reduce the high blood sugar symptom, but insulin resistance increases which then requires more insulin to keep blood sugar lower. The whole cycle becomes a never-ending spiral out of control).
  • craigo3154
    aeloine wrote: »
    Username: aeloine
    Weigh in Week: Week 2
    Weigh in Day: Wednesday
    Last Week’s weight: 223.6
    This week: 221.4

Quick note: today is my Fativersary! A year ago I stepped on the scale to my highest weight (266.5) and started logging food that same day. I did not meet my goal of 52 lbs in 52 weeks, but I'm darn proud of my 45.1 lbs. I know that I will never be that heavy again, largely due to the impact of this community. I did not log every single day (international vacations here and there got in the way) but today is day 220 in a row of logging, day 1 of the second year of my journey and I could not be happier to see how far I've come!

@aeloine. Awesome work. You should be proud of the 45.1 lbs gone.

Putting the right habits in place and the weight trend will continue until you get to the healthiest and fittest you have ever been.

I may never have been as extreme as you (my highest was 201.7 - Jan 1 2017), but I can definitely say the journey, what you learn and the results are well worth it. (Jan 1 2018 - 144.8 :) )

Keep up the great work and happy anniversary.
  • craigo3154
    inshapeCK wrote: »
    @GoBlue1981

It actually is a "Happy weigh-in day" for me! :)

Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: 154.1 pounds
    Todays Weight: 151.0 pounds <3

WOOHOO!!!!!! I am blown away losing 3.1 pounds in just 1 week!!!!
    Plus I lost 2.1 pounds of my vacation weight the previous week!! B)
    That's 5.2 pounds in 2 weeks!
    Don't know if I have accomplished that before!

Now I have to work hard to keep it off!!!
    I am finally feeling that the 140s are in sight and achievable!

As of today I am down 19.1 pounds from my highest weight.

@inshapeCK. Well done. Simple awesome.
  • concordancia
    edited March 2018
    craigo3154 wrote: »

(As a side note: I am convinced that obesity can be a side-effect of diabetes, not a cause. Treat the root cause of the diabetes symptom and it is likely if the obesity was a side-effect, it will be rectified.

I believe that starting to go to McDonald's whenever I was lonely during my divorce, and continuing to use that instead of a social life over a couple of decades was the main cause of my obesity, although Ben & Jerry's had their input, as well.

As for the glucose numbers, I must have missed where you mentioned overall in the first place, sorry for the confusion. I had 10.4% in Jan, so I am sure the dr. will be thrilled with anything <7% that I can make happen next month.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    @aeloine I love hearing about your successes! Awesome work.
  • craigo3154

I believe that starting to go to McDonald's whenever I was lonely during my divorce, and continuing to use that instead of a social life over a couple of decades was the main cause of my obesity, although Ben & Jerry's had their input, as well.

As for the glucose numbers, I must have missed where you mentioned overall in the first place, sorry for the confusion. I had 10.4% in Jan, so I am sure the dr. will be thrilled with anything <7% that I can make happen next month.

@concordancia. Emotional eating is a whole different story :) . Becoming obese by emotional over-eating can bring about the conditions that exhibit diabetic symptoms (simply from the systems that control blood sugar being under continual stress).

The good news for this case is that, generally, if you can reduce stress on the systems that cause the diabetic symptoms, the symptoms will abate. eg. If you can keep the requirement for insulin in the body low, cell insulin sensitivity can return. This is the entire premise behind low-carb diets, keto diets, intermittent fasting diets, etc... Extended periods of low insulin requirement.

Coming from A1C of 10.4% to anything under 7% would be a fantastic improvement. If your regular finger-prick test are round the 100 mark, that is 5.5% equivalent. If you A1C is much greater than that then either your random tests are all fasting, or the random testings are way off base.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/glycated-hemoglobin-test-hba1c
    http://www.endmemo.com/medical/unitconvert/Glucose.php

(My wife is type 2 diabetic, so I have done a lot of research on type 2 diabetes, the symptoms and causes - pubmed is my friend :) . Also, in Australia, mmol/L is the standard measurement for random tests. In US random test are in mg/dL).
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Username: aeloine
    Weigh in Week: Week 2
    Weigh in Day: Wednesday
    Last Week’s weight: 223.6
    This week: 221.4

Quick note: today is my Fativersary! A year ago I stepped on the scale to my highest weight (266.5) and started logging food that same day. I did not meet my goal of 52 lbs in 52 weeks, but I'm darn proud of my 45.1 lbs. I know that I will never be that heavy again, largely due to the impact of this community. I did not log every single day (international vacations here and there got in the way) but today is day 220 in a row of logging, day 1 of the second year of my journey and I could not be happier to see how far I've come!

@aeloine. Awesome work. You should be proud of the 45.1 lbs gone.

Putting the right habits in place and the weight trend will continue until you get to the healthiest and fittest you have ever been.

I may never have been as extreme as you (my highest was 201.7 - Jan 1 2017), but I can definitely say the journey, what you learn and the results are well worth it. (Jan 1 2018 - 144.8 :) )

Keep up the great work and happy anniversary.

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! This group has been pretty instrumental in keeping me accountable, if not always on track. Thank you for everything that you and @goblue1981 do!
  • concordancia
    March 14:
    Exercise: yes, both mine and my husband's...
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes

Hubby asked me to accompany him on his walk, after I had already reached my step goal AND done strength training. I do my physical therapy while he does Qi Gong.

@craigo3154 just eating less with metformin didn't seem to have much impact, so I switched to low carb within two days of getting a monitor and seeing those 200s. The change was astonishing. I just watched everything slide downward on a daily basis for that first week.
  • GoBlue1981
    GoBlue1981 Posts: 358 Member
  • Stimpy56
    Stimpy56 Posts: 592 Member
    Username: Stimpy56
    Week: MAR WK 3
    Weigh day: Thursday
    Previous week: 237.8
    Current weight: 235.0

I am Mid way to getting out of the 230's! Hopefully in 2 weeks I will be in the 220's.
    Stay Positive, stay moving Team!
  • craigo3154
    March 15
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 2x3km in 24 mins each (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Caught a rodent in a trap overnight, so first walk was to release rodent in the forest. Second walk was pre-dinner (spare 30 mins).

Not sure if the rodent was a rat, mouse or marsupial. May have predators in the forest, may not. (The Kookaburras love snakes and lizards (hove not seen a snake here in 20 years), but I think the owls prefer rodents.).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for March 15 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • dropitlikeitshottt
    dropitlikeitshottt Posts: 15 Member
    name: dropitlikeitshottt
    SW: 265
    Last week: 263
    CW: 263 (wahoo!)
  • craigo3154
    Stimpy56 wrote: »
    Username: Stimpy56
    Week: MAR WK 3
    Weigh day: Thursday
    Previous week: 237.8
    Current weight: 235.0

I am Mid way to getting out of the 230's! Hopefully in 2 weeks I will be in the 220's.
    Stay Positive, stay moving Team!

@Stimpy56. Great result. Seems like you are on the right track now. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • parinzz
    parinzz Posts: 25 Member
    Username: parinzz
    Weigh In Week: Week 2
    Weigh In Day: Thursday
    Previous Weight: 140.0
    Current Weight: 140.0
This discussion has been closed.