Pictures from outdoor exercise.

1454647484951»

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,520 Member
    Farback wrote: »
    I’m proud to be part of the groups who help others, but as you well know, some days suck.

Yup, some days suck hard. I've been "revisiting" some in my dreams of late. I hoped I was free of that; apparently not.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,088 Member
    UncleMac wrote: »
    I’m proud to be part of the groups who help others, but as you well know, some days suck.

Yup, some days suck hard. I've been "revisiting" some in my dreams of late. I hoped I was free of that; apparently not.

Yeah, it gets better it seems, but never totally goes away. I concentrate on healthy living and exercise these days. Only drink on vacations, and then sparingly. I only admit to having a broken brain to trusted friends and family. PTSD seems to be very trendy these days, and while I don’t challenge anyone’s claims, I do wonder if they have any idea what vets and emergency workers have experienced.

There’s a very popular clothing brand around here now called Cracked Armour, connected to this. Part of the profits go to help groups. While I think the intentions are good, I don’t wear my problems on my shirt. Privacy is important to me.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,689 Member
    @farback and @UncleMac, I can't begin to imagine the things you've seen and experienced, and I'm selfish enough not to want to imagine. It's a testament to your humanity that you continued to do those needful, so difficult jobs.

Thank you, sincerely. And Farback, thank you for trusting us enough to share some of that experience here, too.
  • UncleMac
    There’s a very popular clothing brand around here now called Cracked Armour, connected to this. Part of the profits go to help groups. While I think the intentions are good, I don’t wear my problems on my shirt. Privacy is important to me.
    I think I saw something about that Cracked Armour guy on Facebook. It seems like part of his PTSD recovery involves helping others similarly afflicted... and he raises funds via selling merchandise like t-shirts and ballcaps.

Like you, I don't tend to advertise. A friend asked me recently why I don't have pictures of myself in uniform on Facebook or elsewhere. I said I didn't feel the need to virtue-signal.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @farback and @UncleMac, I can't begin to imagine the things you've seen and experienced, and I'm selfish enough not to want to imagine. It's a testament to your humanity that you continued to do those needful, so difficult jobs.

Thank you, sincerely. And Farback, thank you for trusting us enough to share some of that experience here, too.
    I appreciate that, Ann. I like to think each of us should try to leave the world better than we found it. If everyone did that, what a wonderful world it might be.
  • Farback
    Since I got back from vacation, my daily routine has been up at 07:00, feed the cats and ravens, a one mile trail hike before coffee on the deck, then a couple mile paddle on a nearby power dam pond. I go without pause for a mile, then a leisurely cruise back. Lots of wildlife, and. Peace and quiet.

• Farback
    9pw7wrcq4qub.jpeg
    x0ss3j6xwsxs.jpeg
    srzqxhixb03u.jpeg
    nncqovalpp7b.jpeg
    dy44i370f4mt.jpeg
    08raw573p0nr.jpeg
    jnqzbf76gbj0.jpeg
    rrt3flhtaf3a.jpeg
    pcj34akqg44q.jpeg
    2f86ig2em2wv.jpeg
    71ufcbcpfxvv.jpeg
    oyzen97uqji9.jpeg
    nhkd5ekcw8vl.jpeg
    0mps2qmwcj93.jpeg
  • UncleMac
    edited August 6
    Such a beautiful area and kayak!!

I'm reluctant to show my rough carpentry although I "get" there isn't any real comparison.

The bottom step of the stairs was buried and rotting. Then I had the entrance into the basement installed so they dug close to the stairs to form up the new foundation/stairwell.

When they backfilled the new stairwell, the bottom stair was still buried. Across the winter, their backfilling settled by more than a foot. So after I replaced a couple of rotting deck supports, I tackled the stairs. Literally cut off the bottom step and put a "foot' across the bottom of the stringers. Then I filled and tamped with soil, then a thick layer of gravel and tamped again, finally the patio stones.

The old handrails were literally a 2x4 post topped with another 2x4 up to the deckrail. I put in a pair of 4x4 posts at the bottom and now finishing it up similar to the deckrail.

crb3qe9xhqek.png
  • Farback
    5lzq9fkddang.jpeg
    7aabriyub9x2.jpeg
    hza3c80xmz5o.jpeg
    nc7uc58czy8l.jpeg

I got out for a couple mile evening paddle after a busy day. Met a new friend, a young beaver. After watching for several minutes, I was silently drifting along waiting for him to re-surface. He came up two feet from my boat. He seemed surprised to see me. Big splash of water, soaked me, and gone.
  • AnnPT77
    Once again, I'm going to shamelessly claim that walking the long block from remote parking to the farmers market is "outdoor exercise", so I'm sharing photos from today's walk here.

I've posted about the ice pops before, and seen some interest, so here's today's pop, cantaloupe with a strawberry. It was tasty, a very nice cantaloupe was used. The strawberry's flavor contrasted nicely.

qvxdn4n2ibov.jpg

This time, I did take a photo of her whole list of pops available (they change weekly to some extent). She's married to an artisan bread vendor whose bakery is "Stone Circle", hence her stand (established chronologically later) is "Stone Cold" :D .

g7z53lmiqt5e.jpg

I also took new photos of the interesting lawn decor. This is from the conceptually chaotic but tidy place. What drew my eye was the spear-wielding tiki guy riding on the small Flamingo. I think he's new.

pcrfn44vz27v.jpg

This one is a new set of dyed or painted fabric panels hanging in the conceptually chaotic and untidy place, which usually has a mix of interesting art and visually interesting . . . junk. The smaller central panel isn't light and dark in the way it looks like: There's a shadow of tree branches/leaves making part of it darker.

f6ky7lk1w87e.jpg

• UncleMac
    I got out for a couple mile evening paddle after a busy day. Met a new friend, a young beaver. After watching for several minutes, I was silently drifting along waiting for him to re-surface. He came up two feet from my boat. He seemed surprised to see me. Big splash of water, soaked me, and gone.
    Many years ago, I took my ancient SLR camera, determined to get a picture or three of the local beavers around their dam. After waiting a couple of hours and innumerable mosquito bites, I did get some nice pics. Even the sound of my camera taking pics was enough to set them into dive mode.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,924 Member
    79f26jyrtoyc.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 7
    @mtaratoot: That photo! Yes, please.

Yesterday on the river especially, but also today, as the weather cools, it's overcast, maybe there's a light rain . . . I feel so much nostalgia for canoe-camping in Northern Ontario with my late husband.

That. Every. Fall. For 26 years now.

I'm not the same quality of canoeist he was. I don't have the confidence (or skills) to solo backwoods canoe camp. (We had so many close calls even as two people in the woods, days from the car!). The friends we used to go with are "too old" (or something).

I miss it.
  • mtaratoot
    edited September 7
    Waldo Lake.

It's a very special place to me. It's about ten square miles and is the second largest natural lake in Oregon. It's also the second deepest at 420 feet. The outflow is the North Fork Willamette, and that is a very very special place in my heart. Going to Waldo every year is required at least once. More is better. I went last week for work taking folks for a short paddle in kayaks. I go next week in the Big Canoe (29 feet long and holds a dozen paddlers). This one was just for us.

We sometimes pack up canoes/kayaks and paddle across to do remote camping. This time we had reserved a site at a developed campground. It's the only open campground. The other two on the north end of the lake have been closed a couple years. A major fire killed much of the forest up there, and the Forest Service doesn't want people to have dead trees fall on them. Our camp is also the only place to launch a boat currently.

We only stayed one night. We got there early afternoon, got camp set up, then took a short paddle around the south end of the lake. Wind was calm. Air quality wasn't too bad. We got back to camp and had supper, walked down to see if we could see stars reflected in the lake, and just soaked it up. Overnight, the wind shifted, and air quality degraded. It was kind of calm in the morning, so we made a crossing and headed north. It was calm enough we opted to do an open water paddle to the northwest end where we had lunch. It was getting smokier. Right before we landed at the very northwest corner, the wind started blowing from the southeast. The 5.5 miles to our stop at the north end took about two hours. Pace was about 21.6 minutes per mile.

e6h3d5wyggtt.jpg
    06t2adqeap5v.jpg

Well, time to fight the wind and head back. We made decent time. I estimate 8-10 Kt wind as there were some whitecaps forming, but not every wave had them. We were heading almost directly into the wind, and that's not all bad. Quartering winds can be a real challenge. We had planned to paddle close to the east shore on the way back if needed due to conditions out on the open water. Instead we just put the paddles to the water and crushed it back to the put in. That was about 6.0 miles, and it took us about 2.6 hours - we were for sure slower into the wind at 25.3 minutes per mile. A passing sailboat told us we were making good time. Fast boats help!

The only good thing I can say about the fire closure is that few folks want to take the initiative to paddle all the way up to the north end. We saw only two other paddle craft. We did see a couple sailboats. I think I need to learn to sail. We had the entire place to ourselves. The smokey air probably also kept folks away. Oh. Yeah. And the wind....

We were about a mile or two from the take-out when we first heard thunder. We wanted to get off the water! And we just made it. We got boats loaded up, and some folks asked me to help them take a sailboat off of their trailer. About the time we were just going to head out, the sky opened up. The hail didn't start until we were in our vehicles heading to make a stop at Salt Creek Falls.

qs6w57qfk50s.jpg

My friend waited until we got to the parking lot for the falls to change clothes rather than try to change in the hailstorm. We walked out to check out the falls because neither of us had been there for quite some time. Then we said farewell and departed back down the mountain to our respective homes - two generations of RAV4 and two nice boats.

t1hmms6tcx0q.jpg

We both want to go back again, and maybe we'll load up our gear and go camp far away from the campground and just soak up all the peace and quiet. We remember back when we camped up there and had to chip ice off our boats and pour water on spray skirts to thaw 'em out. Brrr.

• mtaratoot
    I finally got my buddy out in his canoe yesterday. He's been thinking about buying a drift boat. He was cured of that yesterday when we paddled past one. I think it was his first day in a canoe this year, and I'm hoping to get him out more often.

In between the times it was blowing, we had some nice calm air that let the river glass out a bit and give some nice reflections.

m3o0z1zcd5im.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    How about a photo of un-photogenic outdoor exercise, or at least its aftermath? Last night, 3 of us spent about an hour and a half raking weed mats from around the rowing club dock, and hauling them up on shore (with assistance at the end from a 4th person). The weeds make it challenging to launch, especially for new rowers, because they tangle and load down the oars.

The most colorful part happened when we wanted to haul in weeds from further out than we could reach with a rake or even a sweep oar (which is 12 feet or so long). One person went out in a recreational single, "parked" parallel to the dock in the middle of the weed mass, then we towed the boat (by a throw-bag's rope) sideways to the dock, bringing a new mass of weeds within range of the rakes.

Weed clumps were heavy until the water drained out. Functional fitness at its best, I guess? (No, I don't know what the weeds are in botanical terms.)

This is the scene from the morning after, heaps of weeds on the bank, semi-cleared area on the outside of the dock. They'll be back: Taking bets on how long there'll be a benefit of the effort. (Herbicides are sometimes used, but that costs big $$$. Raking is (?) free (?). We tried a boat-mounted weed cutter; took a lot of time, not much return on effort invested.) Before we did this, the outside of the dock looked pretty much like the bank side of the dock still does.

2vi81vke1b98.jpg
  • UncleMac
    At some point, I should take a pic of my neighbour's rack of toys (canoe and kayaks) so you can tell me what they are since I have no idea.