MAY 2018 CHALLENGE

Replies

• phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Two significant SCALE victories for me today:

1. I am now in the 150s, weighing in at 159.4 this morning. The goal weight I set here on MFP back in January of 2018 is 154.4. Reaching that would put me at 50 pounds lost for 2018. So, today I’m under 160 and within 5 pounds of that 50 lb benchmark.

2. And most significant to me, I’ve lost 45 pounds. It is a special number for me because that is the weight of 3 bowling balls of the weight I use (3x15=45).

My NSV today is quite simple: I feel great! I posted my Before and After pics because it is said, a picture is worth a thousand words, or in my case at least 45 pounds. The 2017 side of my picture shows an obese prediabetic low energy guy with high BP and cholesterol. Knee and shoulder surgeries, arthritis and other obesity related ailments relegated me to sitting on the bench keeping score for my over 65 softball team last season. I was too fat and sick to play in 2017.

The 2018 side of the picture shows me literally back in the game. In four months I’ve reversed or eliminated most of my health issues. I feel better than I have in at least ten years. I honestly believe keto has given me my life back. Put me in coach, I’m ready to play!

n9hHG0l.jpgn9hHm8.png

ovwv7qbcyc7v.jpg

Congrats stormywxs288!! What an achievement of not only losing 45lbs since January, but having eliminated all your health issues and getting back in the game! Looking good! :)
  • Hipshimmy
    Hipshimmy Posts: 6 Member
    Hi All—
    Thank you for letting me join this challenge!
    I’m 50 y/o trying to restore and get my act together.

Just starting:
    5/13/18 167

Goal 127 maybe. First goal is commitment. Second is health. The other pieces should fall in line after that.

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone who takes care of themselves and others!

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    @stormywxs288 want I want to know is who is the guy in the before picture!! Obviously some much older stand-in :)
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited May 2018
    Another busy weekend for me. I walked all day Saturday at the zoo with 3 of my grandsons! Sunday was spent weeding my flowerbeds and working in my yard!

I love catching up on all the posts and NSV's in this group - you all are doing amazing!

I'm wanting to try IF, but am having a tough time of it....not because I cant fast, but because of trying to fast while keeping such a hectic schedule! But I'm going to try again this week...

I would like to ask advice from some of you who have lost alot of weight on keto, or who have been on keto for awhile now - do you count just straight carbs or net carbs? Ive been counting just straight carbs and trying to stay in the 20-25g per day range.

March 20 (began keto)
    Starting weight: 221

May 1: 208.4
    Sunday 5/6: 206.0 (-2.4)
    Sunday 5/13: 205 6 (- .4)
    Sunday 5/20:
    Sunday 5/27:
    Thursday 5/31:
    Personal Goal (weight) by Jun 1: 199
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Another busy weekend for me.....................................
    I'm wanting to try IF, but am having a tough time of it....not because I cant fast, but because of trying to fast while keeping such a hectic schedule! But I'm going to try again this week...

Intermittent Fasting (IF) is where the magic happened for me on keto. Because I’m usually not hungry when I wake up I could easily push off breaking my fast (breakfast) until later and later each day. After about one month of keto I had settled into a schedule of starting my eating window at 10:30-11:00am and ending it about 5:00-6:00pm. I’ve also cut down to only two meals a day during my 7-8 hour eating window. That gives me 16-17 hours of fasting a day.

This worked for me because I live a charmed life far better than I deserve. I do 95% of all the cooking, shopping and prep, because I enjoy doing those things. In addition, I’m a happily retired empty nester with only my wife and myself to worry about. My wife loves me to cook for her but she can’t understand why I’ve lost 45 pounds and she’s lost only 5 over the last four months. (She won’t give up beer).

I’m still losing weight on keto. I expect to reach my goals sometime soon and I honestly think I can maintain this lifestyle after attaining my ideal weight. Bottom line is, this lifestyle fits well with my circumstances. It has actually freed up time and effort for me. And above all I <3 eating fat and I <3 keto.

By the way, you are doing great! Thirteen pounds in only 2 months. I'm not sure I could juggle all the things you do and keep up. Hang in there!

• NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Two significant SCALE victories for me today:

My NSV today is quite simple: I feel great! I posted my Before and After pics because it is said, a picture is worth a thousand words, or in my case at least 45 pounds. The 2017 side of my picture shows an obese prediabetic low energy guy with high BP and cholesterol. Knee and shoulder surgeries, arthritis and other obesity related ailments relegated me to sitting on the bench keeping score for my over 65 softball team last season. I was too fat and sick to play in 2017.

The 2018 side of the picture shows me literally back in the game. In four months I’ve reversed or eliminated most of my health issues. I feel better than I have in at least ten years. I honestly believe keto has given me my life back. Put me in coach, I’m ready to play!

n9hHG0l.jpgn9hHm8.png

ovwv7qbcyc7v.jpg

Can I just say how amazing this transformation is in such a short period of time?! WOW!!
    We have several over 65 softball teams in this area. We go sit in the park and watch. It's great to see the older generation staying young, fit & healthy. Way to go!!
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Hi, everyone! A bit late signing in this week, but I have another NSV this week. We went to visit my mom over the weekend and I knew that I was going to have to be somewhat lax in controlling the carbs. I wasn't going to panic if I stepped on the scales this morning and found a few extra pounds attached. Normally after over-indulging in carbs the water just hangs around. I was only up half a pound, and I know that will drop off soon! This week wil also be a challenge because we are attending a conference from Wed thru Sun with two days of travel on both ends. I plan to take my keto food, but some meals are provided and won't be keto-friendly.

Might not reach the 150s this month after all, but there is always another chance next month. This group has given me the inspiration to just keep plodding along, knowing that if I do the right thing consistently, results will follow eventually!

May 1st - 161
    May 6th - 160
    May 13th - 160.5
    May 20th
    May 27th
    May 30th

Goal weight 140
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2018
    @stormywxs288 You rock, man! Keep up the good work. I can't wait to post a victory like that in the next few months!