TEAM: Gutbusters (June)

Options

Replies

• anita7164
    anita7164 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hiya all. Team Gutbusters for June. This is my first time here. I’m a 53 years old, 5’4” female living in NYC, USA. I have lost 81 lbs since 2014 and need to lose 40 more to be in healthy weight range. My problem is I don’t do anything consistently - exercise, track, cook - that will help me continue on my weight loss journey. I’m hoping that this group will assist me in these areas as I will be part of a team and I would not want to let anyone down. Good luck to everyone.
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi, all. I'm back for my second month and hope to do better this time after a shaky finish to May.

I'm almost 54 years old, 5'6' and trying to lose 40lbs.

My goal this month is to be more consistent with staying under calorie goal and getting into the daily habit of strength exercising. I love to walk and have lovely countryside nearby but I know I need to work on my strength and flexibility. Thank you to @craigo3154 for setting up the daily challenges which is a great way to get into the habit.

@craigo3154 - I think you may have missed my message on page 16 of the May thread - can I please change my weigh-in day to Tuesday for the June challenge? I have not weighed-in today.
    I'm also celebrating my birthday in June. What date is your big 5-0?!

Welcome to the new members and let's all have a great month, Gutbusters!

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    May 28
    Exercised?: Yes. 10km in 80mins (over Sydney harbour bridge again).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Travelled interstate for work again this morning. In Sydney again. Vivid festival on in Sydney at the moment, so lots of places lit up.

Tired now and need sleep.

Month changeover done by my co-moderator. She did an awesome job.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 28 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts I didn't get to add before: my weight is down, but according to my fitbit aria scale, I've lost 5 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat since early April. That is not the ratio I was looking for. (Can I play a Jedi mind trick on fat?) I'll be getting my second InBody scale reading later this week, and I hope (a) that it's more accurate than my home scale and (b) that it shows I've lost fat at a better than 2:1 ratio.

@eevang You must do a great job with The Outsiders -- I would have thought the nicknames and mid-60s lifestyle (no cell phones!) would make it hard for 8th graders to relate! What a good idea to have the discussion as the sole assessment for the book so the kids can really focus on understanding the story itself.

Regarding Panera, you inspired me to check out their website and the nutrition facts. You can play around with customizing the options -- making some things "light", adding more protein, dressing on the side, etc -- and the nutrition facts automatically update to reflect the changes. I'm not going to make a habit of going there more regularly (can't, it's 45 minutes away), but I'm happy to know what I can do now to make the options more in line with my needs.
  • susanbenita
    Options
    @LesIckaBod - what a great start to the month! You are doing so well. :smiley:
  • ruthiebryan2922
    ruthiebryan2922 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ruthiebryan2922
    Weigh in week: June week 1
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous weeks weight: 261
    Today’s weight: 260
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    User ID: brunchowl
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Weigh in:171.8

A small gain this week but I didn’t go over my calorie goal. I assume it’s water weight and will work itself out soon enough.
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Val from the lake district, UK and have been with the team for a couple of months. I'm aiming to lose 50 pounds in the next year - ideally by Xmas. And also to walk 10k steps a day.
    The biggest challenge for me is to cut the habit of snacking on an evening.

Username westray16
    Weigh in day Monday
    Weigh in previous week 13st 9lbs, 191 lbs
    Weigh in today 13st 8lbs, 190 lbs

• JenWM5
    JenWM5 Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Helllo! So happy to have the add to this group. I've been on MFP since 2016, but due to life/choice/etc - I'm the heaviest I've ever been and probably the most motivated. Looking forward to the accountability and support. I'm 43, married, Mom to 3 girls (11, 10 & 8 - and very aware of trying to set a positive body image/food image for them), I work full time for an independent school and also have a part time catering job, and I am my Mom's primary caregiver (as she has been battling Multiple Myeloma - blood cancer - for 9 years.) So yes, lots going on and I am trying to learn how to not stress eat or drink, how not to emotionally eat/drink and be intentional about making healthy choices and getting off the couch after a long day!

I think I missed/messed up the first week. :( But nonetheless am committed and will try to get it together for the coming week!
    WID:Mondays
    LW: 243.3
    Today: 241.4

Thanks,
    Jen
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @susanbenita Thanks for the kind words! I'm always a little skeptical that a big drop will last, but I'm hopeful!

@westray16 I had to overcome evening snacking, too. Do you have any ideas about what your snacking triggers are, or what could help to overcome them? I try to brush and floss right after dinner, because my desire to have clean teeth plus my tremendous dislike of brushing and flossing a second time generally holds me off from snacking. The other thing is, when I want an evening treat, I drink a big, very concentrated cup of Harney herbal hot cinnamon spice tea. I love cinnamon candies, and this tea tastes like a warm melted red hot, even though it doesn't contain any sugar.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 1
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 180.5
    Current weight: 180.0

Did a kettlebell class yesterday! Inflated my weigh-in a bit this week, I think, but I will certainly see long-term results. Man, am I sore! Very worth it.
  • susanbenita
    Options
    May 28

exercise - no, rest day
    Calories - no, about 550 over goal due to a last-minute decision to eat out after work last night
    tracked - yes

Weigh-in week: Week 1
    Weigh-in day: Tuesday
    Previous week's weight: 184.6
    Current weight: 186

Feeling a bit off this morning, bloated due to a late night meal after work last night.
    I will drink lots of water today and my food is already logged for the rest of the day.
  • LesIckaBod
    edited May 2018
    Options
    May 28
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: No (128 over)
    Tracked: Yes

I did well yesterday given the holiday. By dinner time, I had only about 200 calories left, and considered using them on chicken (the smarter choice) or chips and guacomole (the other choice). I greatly enjoyed the guacomole, and this morning the scale was down again.

Tonight my challenge is that I'm meeting up with a few friends for a drinks and dessert potluck at a friend's new home. By the time I get to dinner, I've basically used up my calories for the day, so I'm trying to figure out a plan for how to save some calories to participate this evening, and also what I can bring. I'm thinking of bringing berries and a microwavable chocolate dip. I can eat some of the berries, and other people can choose the chocolate dip if they like.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi! quick note for whoever is doing the spreadsheet--you added 10 lbs to my weight, ack!
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    @LesIckaBod . You did really well last week - well done.

I've tried a lot of distraction techniques to overcome the late night snacking but I just feel I've got this massive compulsion to eat when others have gone to bed!! Think the cleaning teeth is definitely worth a try though!

May 28
    Exercise Yes 13k steps
    Tracking Yes
    Calories Yes

Felt good this morning when I woke up and realised I'd managed to stay within calorie limit.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    May 29
    Exercised?: Yes. 5km in 40mins (moderate hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Work day today. Wife seemed a little better, but still calling twice a day to check up on how she is going.

Tried some one-arm push-ups today. Managed 5 each arm, but technique could be improved.

Tired now and need sleep.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 29 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • JASunnyGirl
    JASunnyGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a little confused. Ok a lot confused. I chose weigh in date, Saturday, when I entered my starting weight. When is week one? Do we start on June 1? Or was Sunday the start day? I am still trying to get myself together. So if this is week one,then it's a bust.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    May 28
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: No (128 over)
    Tracked: Yes

I did well yesterday given the holiday. By dinner time, I had only about 200 calories left, and considered using them on chicken (the smarter choice) or chips and guacomole (the other choice). I greatly enjoyed the guacomole, and this morning the scale was down again.

Tonight my challenge is that I'm meeting up with a few friends for a drinks and dessert potluck at a friend's new home. By the time I get to dinner, I've basically used up my calories for the day, so I'm trying to figure out a plan for how to save some calories to participate this evening, and also what I can bring. I'm thinking of bringing berries and a microwavable chocolate dip. I can eat some of the berries, and other people can choose the chocolate dip if they like.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Nope! Bringing fruit with a dip would be my suggestion, and you’re already doing that. Before a party, I try to drink a whole bunch of water and eat an absurd amount of fruits/veggies. If I’m really full on the healthy stuff, I won’t eat the unhealthy stuff. I particularly enjoy furiously crunching on carrots while glaring at brownies. It feels productive, somehow.

@MoreThanMySize I’m not entirely sure of the answer, but I’ll bet @craigo3154 will help you out soon.
This discussion has been closed.