Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    5 hrs 1 min awake 49 mins
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    @MessyApron a nap sounds like a great idea.

@77tes have a wonderful time!

@MadisonMolly fingers crossed.

I did not sleep well at all. 4:51hrs.
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    I did not sleep well either 4 hrs 38 mins
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    7h 4m total

1h 8m Awake
    1h 28 m REM
    4h 18m Light
    1h 18m Deep

I wish I knew why I wake up so much. I lose over an hour every night, tossing and turning. Hoping to get to bed on time tonight and fall asleep early. It's been a week of anxiety from work and not sleeping well.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,050 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I’m sleeping less well, too. Ditto the tossing & turning, PackerFaninGB.

My average is now 5hr 55mins of “Sleep” Sleep Quality 65%

Amazingly I had a Sleep Quality of 78% when I only slept 4hr40m?????

I did read that there is no way to get REM figure without measuring brain waves, so I’ve stopped worrying about that :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. We have to take into consideration age, health status or conditions, etc. I know Menopause is messing up with my sleep big time. Since I started sleeping with less clothing or naked I am averaging 7 hrs. On nights when my emotions betray me, it does not matter what I am wearing.

5:11
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    6 hrs 35 min.

I agree with prgirl39mfp that each of us is quite different. The hot flashes from menopause (almost 8 yrs now) is out of control. I thought for a while that I was home free but now they are back with a vengeance. If it is not the hot flashes than it is pain that keeps me up.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    7 hrs in bed
    Felt sleepy! Always get better stats then
    6hr 10 mins
    74% Sleep Quality with good percentages & 26% REM (if it’s not accurate, I will say I feel more rested when there are more deep light REM cycles in a night.

I closed all the windows last night. Have been tracking to see if that has an effect.

Have a great day, friends!
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    5 hrs 49 min awake 40 mins
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    5 hours 33 minutes last night. I’ve veered off course in my goal of getting better sleep, but that’s OK. I’ve had a lot of job stress the last few weeks and wasn’t sure how or if it was going to resolve itself, but happily it did this week! Yesterday I went down to Boston to spend the day with a dear friend. So not the best night sleep last night, in part because I was so happy and still excited from yesterday’s visit.

Sleep is definitely a process. I’m redoubling my efforts, starting tonight. The biggest thing I need to do is go to bed earlier.

Have a great weekend!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @themedalist I’m glad the work issues resolved in a good way for you. I know how tough they can be.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    July 13
    7hr 51m in bed (my record by a lot)
    Sleep 6hr 39 mins (ditto)
    But
    The App just isn’t accurate. It said I was in Deep Sleep from 2:15-6:45. Probably not true. It had me awake when I wasn’t etc, so Sleep Quality was 66%

I, however, consider last night a Victory! I used sone YouTube audio meditation music to get back to sleep in the morning.

I think going forwards, until an accurate sleep-tracking system is invented, I’m just going to record time from lights out until I wake up. Otherwise, I find it distressing.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @themedalist Glad your work issues were resolved and you were able to spend some time with a good friend! Stress gets old real quick.

Sleep: 8h 52 min :smile:
    Awake 2h 5m
    REM 1h 47m
    Light 5h 54m
    Deep 1h 11m
  • themedalist
    Options

I think going forwards, until an accurate sleep-tracking system is invented, I’m just going to record time from lights out until I wake up. Otherwise, I find it distressing.

@MadisonMolly, I think this is an excellent point. While the sleep specifics of Awake time, REM, Light Sleep, Deep Sleep, and Sleep Quality are interesting, how much control over these things do we really have? Can I nudge myself to get more Deep Sleep and wake up less often during the night? Probably not. Ultimately, I think the most important factor for how sleep impacts our health is the total amount of sleep we get each night. And for me, that's principally determined by when I go to bed each night. That's the thing I need to focus on.

Collecting more data doesn't guarantee you'll improve the goal you are shooting for. More data doesn't mean a better outcome. In fact, more data can just be distressing. I want to stay focused on the data I have some control over. Like my bedtime.

As an aside, does anyone remember the BodyMedia Fit devices a few years ago? They were quite popular when I first started using MFP in 2011. The company claimed it collected 5000 data points a minute to give you the best estimate possible of your caloric intake and outtake. 5000 data points! The subtle inference was that MORE DATA = BETTER RESULTS. I don't buy it. For me, I want to stay focused on tracking a few data points that are known to have a big impact on the goal that I have (better health) AND are things that I can control. I'm staying focused on what and how much I eat, regular exercise, sitting less, getting enough sleep, managing stress (ha! I did that this week!) and doing something joyful at least once a day.

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options

...and for me, that's principally determined by when I go to bed each night. That's the thing I need to focus on.

For me, I want to stay focused on tracking a few data points that are known to have a big impact on the goal that I have (better health) AND are things that I can control. I'm staying focused on what and how much I eat, regular exercise, sitting less, getting enough sleep, managing stress (ha! I did that this week!) and doing something joyful at least once a day.

[/quote]

@themedalist
    I totally agree. My List:
    1) track everything I eat. Good macros. <1500 mg sodium, enough calcium, water
    2) regular exercise
    3) that my calories eaten are less than my Active & Resting Energy expended each day
    4) improve Sleep, reduce stress, practice self-care & gratitude
    And my latest: 5) Do at least one Act of Kindness for another each day
  • themedalist
    edited July 2018
    Options
    6 hours 32 minutes last night.

I’ve learned this summer that 6 hours 30 minutes is the minimum I need every day. I want to work on getting 7 hours of sleep consistently. 7 to 7.5 would be ideal. But realistically. I don’t think that will happen every night. So my goal is really to get at least 6 1/2 hours of sleep every night, while creating the habits and practices (going to bed earlier) that will likely result in me sleeping 7+ hours a night.

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @MadisonMolly and @themedalist I'm glad you just had the above conversation. You're right about not having any control over how much REM and Deep sleep we get. I will start concentrating on the time I actually (1) unplug and go to bed and (2) what time I actually go to sleep. I still will keep an eye on the 'awake' time because i'm thinking of getting tested for sleep apnea and that is really the reason I've been watching the other items...to see how much time I spend awake. It seems no matter how much sleep I get, I always wake up tired.

Thanks for the insightful posts!

6h 55m - slept from 11:45pm until 7:45 am
    Awake 1h 8m
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    7 hrs 16 min with 64 min awake.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    6hr 23 with 14% awake
  • PinkyPan1