Summer of Sleep

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    5 hours 53 minutes. I’m feeling it too...just a bit sluggish this morning.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    4:55

Feel miserable right now. Will keep active today and see how it goes.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    8:26hr

Much better.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,052 Member
    Options
    Time in bed 7:55
    Asleep 80% = 6:20
    Woke feeling more rested- finally!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    6h 36m sleep, 1h 4m Awake
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    8:05 hrs

I am so happy
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Yay! @prgirl39mfp I’m happy for you too!

I switched from watch to phone last night...
    In bed 7:49
    Asleep 7:28
    (It was actually probably 7 hours asleep but that is a WIN for me )

I used the eye mask near dawn, and twice I used progressive relaxation, beginning with feet, to stop the mind chatter - was asleep before I got to calves lol

I DID go to sleep 30-60 mins earlier than usual. Excited by this change.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Yay! @prgirl39mfp I’m happy for you too!

I switched from watch to phone last night...
    In bed 7:49
    Asleep 7:28
    (It was actually probably 7 hours asleep but that is a WIN for me )

I used the eye mask near dawn, and twice I used progressive relaxation, beginning with feet, to stop the mind chatter - was asleep before I got to calves lol

I DID go to sleep 30-60 mins earlier than usual. Excited by this change.

@MadisonMolly2017 , Great job! I am finding also that nudging myself back to sleep early in the morning is key. Before, if it were 530 or 6ish, I would’ve gotten up and started the day early. And then be dragging by mid afternoon. Now, I try to stay half asleep until I planned to get up. I like the progressive relaxation idea!
  • themedalist
    Options
    6 hours 47 minutes last night. Felt good today.

My sister in law was diagnosed with sleep apnea and a few weeks ago she got a CPAP machine. For years, she was getting lousy sleep every night and it became her normal. She said today she feels fantastic and can’t believe what a difference getting good sleep every night has made in her life. Sleep gets overlooked and ignored but it’s absolutely vital to our well being.

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options

My sister in law was diagnosed with sleep apnea and a few weeks ago she got a CPAP machine. For years, she was getting lousy sleep every night and it became her normal. She said today she feels fantastic and can’t believe what a difference getting good sleep every night has made in her life. Sleep gets overlooked and ignored but it’s absolutely vital to our well being.

What were her symptoms?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited July 2018
    Options

Yes! I know we are both working on earlier bedtimes and then nudging ourselves back to sleep in the morning. I think this is gonna work!!
  • themedalist
    Options

What were her symptoms?

Chronically tired, low energy, and she knew she never got a rested night’s sleep. Her doctor wanted her tested at a sleep clinic and she scored in the severe sleep apnea range. I’m so glad she has the CPAP machine. The technician told her, “this will give you your life back“ and indeed it has. She is so much happier and has a lot more energy.

I think we can get used to chronic sleep deprivation. It becomes our new normal. We don’t see all the subtle and not so subtle ways it’s affecting us, but it robs us of our quality of life.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    With phone:
    _
    7:50 in bed
    7:35 Asleep
    I did, at long last, wake up feeling great.

Lights off: 12:47AM
    Tonight’s goal: 12:45 or earlier. I’m going to use the couple-of-minutes-earlier-per-day approach!!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    4:25

I feel lousy today. I need to get a sleep mask. I know it will work. Thanks guys for the support and suggestions. Found this article and thought it was very interesting. When I eat " unhealthy" I do not sleep well. Lately I have been dealing with some depression and menopause symptoms too, and a situation with my best friend. I am a firm believer that our emotions affect every aspect of our bodies so for me this article makes sense. Hope it is ok to share:

https://www.powerofpositivity.com/if-you-wake-up-at-the-same-time-every-night-this-may-be-why/

Great challenge as always, I have learned so much.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

What were her symptoms?

Chronically tired, low energy, and she knew she never got a rested night’s sleep. Her doctor wanted her tested at a sleep clinic and she scored in the severe sleep apnea range. I’m so glad she has the CPAP machine. The technician told her, “this will give you your life back“ and indeed it has. She is so much happier and has a lot more energy.

I think we can get used to chronic sleep deprivation. It becomes our new normal. We don’t see all the subtle and not so subtle ways it’s affecting us, but it robs us of our quality of life.

I have heard this from many people...that it was life changing for them. I need to go have this test done also. I have been procrastinating. What a surprise, right?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    4:25

I feel lousy today. I need to get a sleep mask. I know it will work. Thanks guys for the support and suggestions. Found this article and thought it was very interesting. When I eat " unhealthy" I do not sleep well. Lately I have been dealing with some depression and menopause symptoms too, and a situation with my best friend. I am a firm believer that our emotions affect every aspect of our bodies so for me this article makes sense. Hope it is ok to share:

https://www.powerofpositivity.com/if-you-wake-up-at-the-same-time-every-night-this-may-be-why/

Great challenge as always, I have learned so much.

I resisted the sleep mask, too, as I still am about 1) going to bed earlier & 2) not using my phone before bed. Baby steps..we can do this.

In case this helps, here’s the one I use. It stays in place, and definitely keeps our light.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Travel-EyeShade-Sleeping-Eye-Cover-Eyepatch-Blindfolds-For-Health-Care/920631533?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=12064&adid=22222222228159854327&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=271322862846&wl4=pla-515033251117&wl5=9031912&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117097802&wl11=online&wl12=920631533&wl13=&veh=sem

We will do this! I’m sure of it.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

What were her symptoms?

I have heard this from many people...that it was life changing for them. I need to go have this test done also. I have been procrastinating. What a surprise, right?

These things can be tough to motivate ourselves to do. Maybe break the task into mini-steps & do one per week?

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Last night

From phone:
    In bed 7:11 (forgot my go to bed earlier plan— 1:20 actual, planned: 12:45
    Tonight: by 1 AM

Asleep 6:26 with :40 mins to fall asleep (which is not true)

I awoke achy, having had bad dreams, but, oddly, rested. Fine 15 mins later.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Last night:
    By phone:

Lights out: 2:01 AM (will try again tonight)
    In Bed: 7:01
    Asleep 6:28
    Awoke refreshed!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    4;55

Not good but better than yesterday. Thank for the suggestions @MadisonMolly2017 I will look into it.