Summer of Sleep

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Well Before bed. Ive been taking walks, dimming lights two hours prior to sleep, eating light 2-5 hours before bed.
    Went to bed at 2130 and woke up at 0100 and fell asleep again at 0330. Woke up at 0600 dead exhausted good thing I didn’t have to work. Stayed in bed and fell asleep for 2 more hours. Still tired. It it was time to get up
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    @themedalist
    Yes, it is! I remember that my in-laws took brief warm/hot baths each night *right* before turning in. Have been pondering trying that as 1) relaxing, 2) I’ve read a drop in temp can help us fall asleep (ie as we get out of bath) 3) is force myself to put phone on charger etc prior to bath ie no screens after bath.

I’m also considering getting a. bedside light that dims over time (Oprah mag) so if I’m reading my not-too-engaging book, I will get cues it’s time to sleep.

Finally, I have a message set that tells me “You’re approaching your ideal bedtime” and I find it helps me disengage from phone/reminds me of my sleep goals...so am going to move that 15 mins earlier! The things we have to do sometimes to change our habits!! Haha!

All inspirational ideas.
    I used to take baths everynuggt before bed. And yes used go sleep like a baby. Maybe something to look at again. Thanks

Oh great! I will definitely try it then!! Thanks!

I’ve always had baths with plenty of candles. Do when I got out of the shower didn’t have to turn the lights on.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,030 Member
    Options
    I’ve improved my sleep.
    Much of mine is medication-influenced.
    I’m definitely getting more sleep than I was.

Key point for me: worrying less.

What I still need to do...eliminate screens, warm baths, probably have cat sleep elsewhere...and get trash pick up rescheduled to later in morning :p
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I listened to a really great podcast by Dr. Steve Orma, a psychologist and noted sleep therapist. He stressed the importance of having a nightly bedtime routine at least an hour before bed, but preferably 2-3 hours before bed. Nothing stressful or invigorating, just calm and relaxing. Practiced nightly, this pre-bedtime routine becomes the trigger that tells our body that it will soon be time to go to sleep.

We will be winding down this "Summer of Sleep" challenge the end of August. I would love to hear what your takeaways have been. Has the challenge helped you in some way sleep better?

I've learned that for me, getting good sleep boils down to going to bed every night at a reasonable hour. I can't control how much REM sleep or deep sleep I get, but I do control my bedtime.

Thank you for the tip on the podcast. I will have to listen to it. I'm all over the place lately. I think it is hard to keep my sleep as a priority self-care item. Last night was horrible. My BIL died in a motorcycle accident this weekend. We got the call Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. Have not slept well since. Was very hard to get up and come into work this morning. My brain won't turn off, and that has always been an issue for me anyway.

I will try listening to Dr. Orma's ideas. I will also try to come up with a new better routine. @travelling_lots mentions taking baths with candlelight and I think that sounds heavenly. I used to take a lot of baths, but since we moved into a one bathroom house, I tend to take quick showers instead.

I also agree with @themedalist that the only thing I can control is my nighttime routine and what time I go to bed. I think I will begin taking off my FitBit at night and stop worrying about REM, Time Awake, etc. and just start paying more attention to what I do at night to prepare for bed and what time I actually turn off the lights and go to sleep.

Sorry for rambling. I'm exhausted today...can you tell? :blush:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I listened to a really great podcast by Dr. Steve Orma, a psychologist and noted sleep therapist. He stressed the importance of having a nightly bedtime routine at least an hour before bed, but preferably 2-3 hours before bed. Nothing stressful or invigorating, just calm and relaxing. Practiced nightly, this pre-bedtime routine becomes the trigger that tells our body that it will soon be time to go to sleep.

We will be winding down this "Summer of Sleep" challenge the end of August. I would love to hear what your takeaways have been. Has the challenge helped you in some way sleep better?

I've learned that for me, getting good sleep boils down to going to bed every night at a reasonable hour. I can't control how much REM sleep or deep sleep I get, but I do control my bedtime.

Thank you for the tip on the podcast. I will have to listen to it. I'm all over the place lately. I think it is hard to keep my sleep as a priority self-care item. Last night was horrible. My BIL died in a motorcycle accident this weekend. We got the call Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. Have not slept well since. Was very hard to get up and come into work this morning. My brain won't turn off, and that has always been an issue for me anyway.

I will try listening to Dr. Orma's ideas. I will also try to come up with a new better routine. @travelling_lots mentions taking baths with candlelight and I think that sounds heavenly. I used to take a lot of baths, but since we moved into a one bathroom house, I tend to take quick showers instead.

I also agree with @themedalist that the only thing I can control is my nighttime routine and what time I go to bed. I think I will begin taking off my FitBit at night and stop worrying about REM, Time Awake, etc. and just start paying more attention to what I do at night to prepare for bed and what time I actually turn off the lights and go to sleep.

I am so very sorry to hear about your BIL, @PackerFanInGB. That is horrible news and naturally, your sleep will be impacted.

And as I recall, your hip surgery is this week as well? You are dealing with an awful lot. Many hugs. <3
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it before or not. But,
    Fresh lavender inside your pillowcase it's supposed to help smooth and fall asleep. Has anyone tried it?
    I don't care for the smell at bedtime. I like fresh scent of clean linen.
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Options

I am so very sorry to hear about your BIL, @PackerFanInGB. That is horrible news and naturally, your sleep will be impacted.

And as I recall, your hip surgery is this week as well? You are dealing with an awful lot. Many hugs.
  • travelling_lots
    Options

Sorry to hear your not well, they're horrible moments. Wish you a speedy recovery.

I also alternate bath oils. I prefer eucalyptus but I do use lavender( but only till the bottle finishes. Eucalyptus seems to clear and sooth my senses and prepares me for bed.

I know a friend that sprays Rose water on her pillow case and she says it great for sleeping. But I don't care for that smell either.
    Thought I'd mention it because we all have different tastes.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    @themedalist Yes, the hip surgery is Thursday. I just received paperwork saying i may be off work for 12 weeks! That's crazy. No way I intend to be off that long. Thank you for remembering. You are so kind! Yes, the accident was a shock and it's been rather difficult for the family. Everyone deals differently, and I'm a "fixer", so I've been trying to be there best I can for everyone. Very sad.

@travelling_lots: I use a diffuser with lavender essential oil in it and sometimes I mix lavender with Frankincense essential oil. Such a relaxing scent. I used to apply it behind my ears and to my wrists also. Thank you for the reminder!

I really hadn't realized how much I stopped taking care of myself until I started reading these posts today. How is it that we put ourselves on the back burner so easily and don't even realize it?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,030 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB
    I am so sorry to read about your BIL.

Having been through something similar, PLEASE take care of yourself. As they say on airlines, put on your oxygen mask prior to helping others...

I had no idea how physical grief is. I would have made different priorities if I had.

Hugs.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    PackerFanInGB,
    I am so sorry to read about your BIL. BIG hugs. You have so much going on. Prayers for you and your family. I hope your hip surgery goes well. Take care.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am now averaging about 7 hours sleep a night.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it before or not. But,
    Fresh lavender inside your pillowcase it's supposed to help smooth and fall asleep. Has anyone tried it?
    I don't care for the smell at bedtime. I like fresh scent of clean linen.

I do for my kids and they love it. My husband is not too fond of the smell so I do not use in in my room but I do use lavender oil in my wrist and the back of my neck.