TEAM: Gutbusters (August)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    August 23
    Exercised?: Yes. 5 km walk in 38 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Worked from home today. Wife is ill at the moment (sore throat/cold). Hopefully will be better soon. Trying to give her as much chance to rest as possible.

Walk before dinner. Good to get out.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 23 is plank. (standard, forearm or knee) (https://greatist.com/fitness/perfect-plank)

2 sets
    • First set 30 seconds if new to them, 60 seconds if a regular, 90 seconds if can regularly make 60 seconds. , wait 2
    • Second set 15 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds
  • craigo3154
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    User name: grebber1
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    Weigh in week: 4
    Previous week: 368.6
    Today's weight: 363.8

@grebber1. Awesome week. You are doing fantastic.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    grebber1 wrote: »
    User name: grebber1
    Weigh in week: 4
    Previous week: 368.6
    Today's weight: 363.8

@grebber1. Awesome week. You are doing fantastic.

It's been a good week. I'm eating clean and well. Hardly ever hungry like I was in past attempts of losing. Still plenty of work to do diet wise as far as tracking and expanding my menu.
    All in all I'm very happy with my progress. With some luck and hard work, next weigh in I'll be in the home stretch of my first goal. Being under 350.
    I've been riding bike lately and doing other things to keep me from sitting around. That really helps. If I had 1 complaint I guess it would be motivation. Not bad or anything. It's just my work requires I stand all day. Mostly in one spot. By the time I get home it's hard not to sit and relax. But really I guess in the grand scheme of things it's pretty minor.
  • mthomas0228
    mthomas0228 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    eevang wrote: »
    @LesIckaBod I love hearing that you are treating yourself more kindly lately. Your positivity is very clear in your posts, and I always look forward to reading them.

Increased positivity has been an unexpected benefit of this journey for me. I treat myself more kindly and have a more positive outlook on all aspects of life now.

I'm so happy with this change and never want to go back! :)

Aw, thanks, @eevang - your positivity is always evident too, and definitely a favorite for me, also.

Just some related thoughts on personal positivity that I've meant to share here before:
    I sometimes see/hear people talk about resolving to lose weight and "no excuses this time" with a sense, to me, that what they mean is they're going to become their own personal boot camp drill sergeant and find a way to beat themselves into submission . I sense personal disgust from that kind of thinking (and I had it myself).

I started thinking about the fact that for anyone else in my life,'m pretty kind and understanding about helping them through basic life problems. I definitely would not insult them, or make them feel worse about their struggles, so why would I treat myself that way?

And I look back at myself in the past and think how silly it was, and how sad, that I would be so uncharitable to myself. My weight, work ethic, etc were never as bad as I made myself believe, and I wish I had treated myself differently then. I'd be in a different place now, because so much time was wasted in giving up or not trying because of those negative personal thoughts.

Anyway, when I start to beat myself up now, I imagine my Future Self helping me to recognize what's good about where I'm at now. In order to reach my goals, I've got to work with the person I am today. According to past evidence, beating up this person isn't going to improve things, so I've got to try to be more kind.

Does this resonate with anyone else?

Being kind to myself is part of my journey as well. And I think it might be the most important thing that I am doing that is contributing to my success. In the months leading up to the point of starting this weight loss journey, I would get upset every time I saw a mirror and say horrible things to myself. I would refer to myself as a beast, I didn't even feel human. So messed up! I'm someone who has always felt confident about myself, so feeling this way was doubly hard as not only did I feel like I lost who I was physically but also mentally/emotionally. But once I decided it was time to make a change and lose weight something very quickly changed in me. The fitness group I joined has as one of it's principles to practice gratitude. I thought it was hokey but once I started, it was a game changer for me. The negativity fell away along with the weight. And if I was finding ways to be grateful and appreciative of all the things in my life, that had to include ME. Being kind to myself at every step along the way to my goals has to be a priority. I'm someone before who avoided cameras, even when thin. I now take selfie's at least once a week, not to post somewhere, but to look at and find the good in them for myself.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Being kind to myself is part of my journey as well. And I think it might be the most important thing that I am doing that is contributing to my success. In the months leading up to the point of starting this weight loss journey, I would get upset every time I saw a mirror and say horrible things to myself. I would refer to myself as a beast, I didn't even feel human. So messed up! I'm someone who has always felt confident about myself, so feeling this way was doubly hard as not only did I feel like I lost who I was physically but also mentally/emotionally. But once I decided it was time to make a change and lose weight something very quickly changed in me. The fitness group I joined has as one of it's principles to practice gratitude. I thought it was hokey but once I started, it was a game changer for me. The negativity fell away along with the weight. And if I was finding ways to be grateful and appreciative of all the things in my life, that had to include ME. Being kind to myself at every step along the way to my goals has to be a priority. I'm someone before who avoided cameras, even when thin. I now take selfie's at least once a week, not to post somewhere, but to look at and find the good in them for myself.

This is so nice to see, @mthomas0228! Related to your practice of gratitude, one of the Hasfit videos I use had this little motivational quote tucked away in the middle: "Be grateful for your abilities now." I've thought about that a lot, and how important it is to be grateful for what I'm able to do, even when I wish I could do more. I'll never be able to do more unless I make do with what I can do now, so... I'll be grateful for what I can do now. :smile:
  • cjscoey
    cjscoey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Username: cjscoey
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Previous Weight: 175.4
    Todays Weight: 173.4

Feels good to consistently go in the right direction!
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 Please consider my last week’s weight reading for this week.
    I have again got intense pain in back due to cleaning of house and going out for the Eid celebrations.Eating more than normal during these days.Told Phisio therapist about back stiffness and she pulled my lower back with devices while keeping the upper back stationary.This further worsen the problem.
    Can’t record this week’s weight due to the lack of ability to move and also the lack of courage.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    @craigo3154 Please consider my last week’s weight reading for this week.
    I have again got intense pain in back due to cleaning of house and going out for the Eid celebrations.Eating more than normal during these days.Told Phisio therapist about back stiffness and she pulled my lower back with devices while keeping the upper back stationary.This further worsen the problem.
    Can’t record this week’s weight due to the lack of ability to move and also the lack of courage.

@fe452436. Do you want me to "put you on hold" (so to speak) for the rest of the month, and you can continue on next month with a new start weight?

Back pain is quite debilitating and it is very difficult to stick to a health plan when not able to move much.

Hopefully the phisio can get you back up and moving soon. Usually a short dose of traction (pulling the lower body with the upper body held stationary) will help with alleviating muscle soreness and tension in the lower back. However pinched nerves, protruding or pinched discs are seldom helped by this approach (they require rest and continued support, or at worst surgery).

Rest, take it easy, make sure your dietary plan is scaled to include reduced activity and get well soon.

Hope you are moving free soon.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    For discussion:

I saw a question posted on Quora: "What do overweight people understand that most people don't?"

One respondents reply was:
    Getting fat is easy. I never ate like a pig. I never dove full-face into a cake. As far as I can tell, I ate like other people.

Getting thin is NOT easy. Staying thin is even harder. I’ve lost weight any number of times in my life. I found it again. Every time. It doesn’t hide very well.

Exercising is HARD when you’re fat. My knees WILL NOT have it. I have an old injury that means my knee pops and cracks with every step. Every once in a while, my knee feels like someone has jabbed a giant needle into it, through my calf and out the bottom of my foot. I do yoga to the extent possible with my size and joint limitations, and I walk every day for 30 minutes in spite of the knee. That’s my limit.

“Eat less and exercise” is BS. I eat less than anyone around me. I went out for “conveyor belt” sushi with the ladies from work. I had five plates - 10 pieces of sushi - and drank water. The woman sitting beside me had TWELVE plates and drank at least four glasses of Sprite. She’s approximately half my weight, and to hear her tell it a “workout” means walking across the parking lot to her car. And yet, I’m the one who’s fat.

My take on this:
    • Yes, "Getting thin is NOT easy" if you go about it the wrong way and keep doing what you have been doing.
    • "Getting thin" requires a mindset change. The first of which is being honest with yourself (and everyone else. The second of which is that no matter how much you know, there is always more to learn. The third is that without action, all the knowledge in the world will not help.
    • Exercise or strenuous activity is NOT required to "get thin".
    • "Eat less and exercise" will not reduce weight. Eat the right balance of foods for you that does not exceed your energy output will allow you to lose weight. Not everyone processes the same food the same way (which is why a balance needs to be worked out).

The unfortunate respondent seems to indicate from her reply that she has nothing more to learn on health/weight management and that "overweight" is her normal for the rest of her life. It makes me sad when I hear people like that, because from my point of view, this need not be the case.

Questions, comments?
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 Thank you so much.
    I have gained most of the weight back.I am scared to weigh right now too.Yes please include a new starting weight.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 24
    Exercised?: Yes. 3 km walk in 22 mins (hills).

Worked from home today. Wife still ill but slowly improving.

Short walk before dinner.

Drone races tomorrow and Sunday.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 24 is dips ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

• craigo3154
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    @craigo3154 Thank you so much.
    I have gained most of the weight back.I am scared to weigh right now too.Yes please include a new starting weight.

@fe452436. As it stands now, you will be rolled into next month. No further weight need be recorded for you this month.

Next month, when you post a first weigh-in next month (September 6), include a starting weight (or last week weight - or weight on August 30) and your starting weight for September will be adjusted.
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Username: ShareASmile
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 159.8
    Todays Weight: 159.2

Apologies, but I need to weigh in a day early. I am heading out of town this afternoon and won't have a scale. And, also, gahhhhhhh! It's been 5 weeks on MFB and I am nowhere near the "you should weight XXX in 5 weeks" teaser that they give me every time I complete my diary. Frustrated, but hanging in there.
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,946 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    inshapeCK wrote: »
    Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh-in week: Week 3
    Weigh-in day: Wednesday
    Previous week's weight: 147.6 pounds
    Current weight: 146.1pounds

I was checking the August spreadsheet and noticed there is a mistake for 1 of my weigh ins and after looking up numerous spots where I post my weigh ins (in this group, in another group, under MFP check in, in my daytimer) I finally figured out what happened. My Week 3 (Wednesday August 15th) Weigh In I typoed as I wrote my previous weight as my current weight and my current weigh as my previous weight!

I was surprised that I messed that up as I am usually thorough with details but that day I posted at 11pm at night and it had been my parents' anniversary that day but my mom passed away last year and when we took my dad out to dinner a senior woman at the table beside us got up to leave and she fell over backwards and hit a table behind her and the firefighters came and the ambulance came and I was unsettled about if for the rest of the evening as it reminded me of my mom in a sad way as the last 4 years of my mom's life she was always falling and getting hurt as she ended up with 2 progressive neuro-degenerative disorders/diseases so that was not the kind or reminder that I wanted of my mom on my parents' anniversary.

So, when you get a chance can you change the spreadsheet to say the following:
    Week 3: 147.6 pounds: Up 1.5 pounds
    Week 4: 145.7 pounds: Down 1.9 pounds

Sorry about that @craigo3154
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,946 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: 147.6 pounds
    Todays Weight: 145.7 pounds

Down 1.9 pounds! VERY Happy with that accomplishment! :)
    Finally getting most of the weight off that I re-gained back since August 1st when I had achieved 145.0 pounds
    and 25.1 pounds lost.
    Only 0.7 pounds more to lose to get back down to 145.0 pounds
    then I want to work on getting into the lower 140s.

@inshapeCK. Well done. Good result.

Hard to lose weight with already at a low weight. (In fact, I think you are currently the lightest competitor in team Gutbusters :) )

What is your target ideal weight? (What is your height?) For most a target weight should be within the "normal" range (ie. BMI 18.5 to 24.9)

@craigo3154

Yes, it does get harder to lose weight when our weight gets lower. I hit a plateau for awhile that I had to work hard to push on through as it can be so frustrating that you want to throw in the towel but I am still trekking along and when I saw 145.0 pounds on August 1st it reminded me that I can do this I just need to keep working on making better decisions. My biggest struggle is healthy eating but I am working at it and have been trying to bring less processed foods into the house even though I hate cooking. I have also been trying to bring less junkfood into the house as if it's not in the house then I won't be tempted to eat it.

My current goal is to get to 140 pounds.
    After I achieve that goal I would like to see if I can achieve 130 pounds.
    I am 5 feet and 5 inches.
    I looked up a BMI calculator online after reading your post and this is what I learned:

5 feet 5 inches
    146 pounds (146.7 pounds on Wed. Aug. 22nd, 2018)
    BMI is 24.3

BMI Categories:
    Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I am in the top end of normal weight.

When I was at my highest weight of 170 my BMI was 28.3 so in the top end of overweight.

When I weigh 140 pounds my BMI will be 23.3 so still in the higher end of normal weight.

When I weigh 130 pounds my BMI will be 21.6 so in the middle of the normal weight range.

If I ever again weighed 125 pounds my BMI would be 20.8 pounds so in the lower end of normal weight.

If I ever again weighed 120 pounds my BMI would be 20.0 so still in the lower end of normal weight.

Goal right now is to lose about 6 pounds which will get me to 140 pounds.
    I know it will take me awhile as it took me 2 years to lose 25 pounds
    but I am okay with slow and steady as I do a better job keeping it off that way.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    My current goal is to get to 140 pounds.
    After I achieve that goal I would like to see if I can achieve 130 pounds.
    I am 5 feet and 5 inches.
    I looked up a BMI calculator online after reading your post and this is what I learned:

5 feet 5 inches
    146 pounds (146.7 pounds on Wed. Aug. 22nd, 2018)
    BMI is 24.3

BMI Categories:
    Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I am in the top end of normal weight.

When I was at my highest weight of 170 my BMI was 28.3 so in the top end of overweight.

When I weigh 140 pounds my BMI will be 23.3 so still in the higher end of normal weight.

When I weigh 130 pounds my BMI will be 21.6 so in the middle of the normal weight range.

If I ever again weighed 125 pounds my BMI would be 20.8 pounds so in the lower end of normal weight.

If I ever again weighed 120 pounds my BMI would be 20.0 so still in the lower end of normal weight.

Goal right now is to lose about 6 pounds which will get me to 140 pounds.
    I know it will take me awhile as it took me 2 years to lose 25 pounds
    but I am okay with slow and steady as I do a better job keeping it off that way.

@inshapeCK. Sounds like you are well on top of it. Just making sure that you are not setting unreasonable targets. Assuming you are average build for height, then 130 should really be the lowest realistic goal. Maintaining round 135 would be considered a perfect balance (BMI 22 is considered ideal).

As close as you are to ideal weight, you should be in almost full maintenance. Looking at adjusting by maybe 1lbs a week. Your eating and activity plans/habits should largely be in place.

I am BMI 20.6 - so equivalent of if you got to around 124 - I am 5"9' and round 140lbs - I am too light for height/build and struggling to slowly gain weight so I have sensible reserves.

• craigo3154
    Options
    Username: ShareASmile
    Previous Weight: 159.8
    Todays Weight: 159.2

Apologies, but I need to weigh in a day early. I am heading out of town this afternoon and won't have a scale. And, also, gahhhhhhh! It's been 5 weeks on MFB and I am nowhere near the "you should weight XXX in 5 weeks" teaser that they give me every time I complete my diary. Frustrated, but hanging in there.

@ShareASmile. The MFP "you should weight XXX in 5 weeks" is a base calculation projecting from current weight, height, age, gender and days calories consumed what your TDEE deficit is. TDEE deficit divided by 100 should be the difference in lbs in 5 weeks (3500 kCal per pound assumption).

This for most people is in the right ballpark (+/- 10lbs), but seldom very accurate.

If you really want to know, I can post the formula to work your actual TDEE based on your history data (not height/weight/age/gender). You can then use this to project what weight loss would be. It needs a least 3 weeks of daily data of weight and kCal consumption. The formula assumes you activity remains similar.

The main thing is to hang in there and keep at what you are doing. You are 2.8% down for the month so far, so you are doing quite a few things right. If what you are doing is taking all your willpower to maintain, then the balance is not quite right yet. Once you get the balance right and locked into habits, the weight pretty much takes care of itself (like on "autopilot").
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 25
    Exercised?: Yes. Drone track setup and pack up (over 10,000 steps).

Drone race today. One of my best results yet. 4th after heats, 2nd in final (2 of the other 4 finalists crashed out). Gorgeous weather (sunny, very little wind, not too hot, great day to be out).

Another drone race tomorrow, but on the other side of town (90 mins drive away, so EARLY start).

At race had my usual hamburger. It is a hamburger, no bun. Hamburger patty, bacon, cheese, onion, lettuce, tomato, and another hamburger patty. One way to get a low-gluten meal when out. :)

Daily Strength challenge

"Challenge for August 25 is squats (no weight - air squat - http://www.12minuteathlete.com/how-to-do-a-proper-air-squat/).
    You can do assisted squats (using a table or bench top to take weight off the knees if it is too much)."

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Username: emmclean
    Previous Weight: 179.8
    Todays Weight: 179.8

Happy to have maintained and to be here 1 week before the wedding, my goal was 179, last Sunday I hit 178.8 and yesterday I was 179 so I'm taking this as hitting goal. I've asked the venue for a set of scales on the day, I feel really happy with what I've achieved so I won't be upset whatever it says, I'd just love to know what I weighed on my wedding day!

With any luck I can still check in next week, but if I don't I still very much want to be part of the challenge please @craig03154 - should be ok to check in the Saturday after as I'll be back from honeymoon by lunchtime.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    emmclean wrote: »
    Username: emmclean
    Previous Weight: 179.8
    Todays Weight: 179.8

Happy to have maintained and to be here 1 week before the wedding, my goal was 179, last Sunday I hit 178.8 and yesterday I was 179 so I'm taking this as hitting goal. I've asked the venue for a set of scales on the day, I feel really happy with what I've achieved so I won't be upset whatever it says, I'd just love to know what I weighed on my wedding day!

With any luck I can still check in next week, but if I don't I still very much want to be part of the challenge please @craig03154 - should be ok to check in the Saturday after as I'll be back from honeymoon by lunchtime.

Congrats on reaching your pre-wedding goal, @emmclean. If you don't check in next week, just know happy thoughts are being sent your way! I hope you feel beautiful and have a joyous day!
This discussion has been closed.