TEAM: Gutbusters (August)

Options

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    For discussion:

I saw a question posted on Quora: "What do overweight people understand that most people don't?"

One respondents reply was:
    Getting fat is easy. I never ate like a pig. I never dove full-face into a cake. As far as I can tell, I ate like other people.

Getting thin is NOT easy. Staying thin is even harder. I’ve lost weight any number of times in my life. I found it again. Every time. It doesn’t hide very well.

Exercising is HARD when you’re fat. My knees WILL NOT have it. I have an old injury that means my knee pops and cracks with every step. Every once in a while, my knee feels like someone has jabbed a giant needle into it, through my calf and out the bottom of my foot. I do yoga to the extent possible with my size and joint limitations, and I walk every day for 30 minutes in spite of the knee. That’s my limit.

“Eat less and exercise” is BS. I eat less than anyone around me. I went out for “conveyor belt” sushi with the ladies from work. I had five plates - 10 pieces of sushi - and drank water. The woman sitting beside me had TWELVE plates and drank at least four glasses of Sprite. She’s approximately half my weight, and to hear her tell it a “workout” means walking across the parking lot to her car. And yet, I’m the one who’s fat.

My take on this:
    • Yes, "Getting thin is NOT easy" if you go about it the wrong way and keep doing what you have been doing.
    • "Getting thin" requires a mindset change. The first of which is being honest with yourself (and everyone else. The second of which is that no matter how much you know, there is always more to learn. The third is that without action, all the knowledge in the world will not help.
    • Exercise or strenuous activity is NOT required to "get thin".
    • "Eat less and exercise" will not reduce weight. Eat the right balance of foods for you that does not exceed your energy output will allow you to lose weight. Not everyone processes the same food the same way (which is why a balance needs to be worked out).

The unfortunate respondent seems to indicate from her reply that she has nothing more to learn on health/weight management and that "overweight" is her normal for the rest of her life. It makes me sad when I hear people like that, because from my point of view, this need not be the case.

Questions, comments?

@craigo3154, thanks for the interesting discussion topic. I think there are a couple other aspects of mindset change that relate to your first two points:
    1. You have to start by treating yourself like a science project, taking note of the effects of different foods on your satiety and weight loss
    2. You have to balance between having faith that weight loss will occur under the right "plan" and having the right information to make appropriate changes if you have trouble with the current "plan"

We've probably all heard that "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results." But sometimes change doesn't occur without a foundation formed by consistent habits. We need a certain amount of faith in the process to stick with it, even when in a plateau. And if the current plan isn't working, it takes reviewing the old records of our personal science project to see what can or should change, and then time (and faith) to make and stick with the changes.

• WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pretty disappointed in myself. Past three days consisted of mcdonald's bacon egg bagel meal with large ice vanilla coffee, taco bell x2, Dairy Queen, Wendy's, and Ikea meat balls... I'm eating everything in the house. Part of it was because I had a two hour one way commute... so 4 hours total for 2 days due to being in class... and also being in a training class without a place for my lunch. Yesterday just because I didn't want to stop splurging yet. Sigh. Back on track... ish... today. I'm not prepared as I haven't gone to the grocery store so I'm assuming I'll be over calories today. Not worth tracking. Starting again tomorrow with hopefully better luck.

I really wanted to rock this last weigh in of any chance of placing anywhere but I don't see that happening either.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @WishfulThinning18 Ugh, those long commute days are tough, I feel you there -- I've been an "extreme commuter" for the last 10+ years, though thankfully I don't have to commute every day.

I hated when people would tell me to bring my food with me each day (it's a 12-18 hour day, with the commute!) but I finally figured out this spring how to make it work for me. If you need any tips, let me know.

And I recommend tracking anyway, if you remember what you had. Yes, you went over calories for a couple days, but it's the weekly averages that really matter, right? It may be helpful to see how your weekly weight loss/gain compares to your average calorie consumption and figure out your personal TDEE.

This day is done. Here's to getting back on track tomorrow! :smile:
  • WishfulThinning18
    Options
    @LesIckaBod Thankfully that was the last class I needed to complete for work. At least for the next foreseeable future.

I normally work 12 hour shifts which I have got down really well as far as food schedule. I can't wait until things turn back to normal. Only one more week of training period and then I'll make my final flip BACK to night shift for good. I've been having to flip back and forth between nights and days since June. I have a feeling that will also help!

Going shopping today... Can't stick to it when I don't have anything in the house to eat to stick with the plan.

I find myself hungry again and like I'm starting over week 1. Not sure if that's cause I ate what I feel is a bazillion calories... or because it was a lot of food bulk wise. Guess that's another motivation to stay the course!
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    Message to all Team Members:

@ahelgers10.
    @jaygirl3.
    @LydiaKate1995.
    @WishfulThinning18.
    @bootssowhite.
    @brunchowl.
    @cheeso1.
    @eevang.
    @LesIckaBod.
    @Metubal.
    @mthomas0228.
    @Sara41164.
    @westray16.
    @caitlynns727.
    @inshapeCK.
    @klmac8.
    @cjscoey.
    @Grebber1.
    @fe452436.
    @emmclean.
    @ShareASmile.

This is the last week of the August Challenge. After this week, all members will be rolled over automatically into the September Challenge.

The September challenge thread is:
    TEAM: Gutbusters (September) ( https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10691145/team-gutbusters-september#latest )
    If you wish not to participate next month, please message Ashley (@AB0215) or Craig ( @craigo3154. )

Please view your team thread and post a brief introduction so others in the team can know who you are.

When viewing the thread, please "bookmark" the thread by pressing the "star" icon (it should turn yellow).
    3cu4npy62hfa.png

This way you can be notified whenever someone posts to the thread (your "bell" icon on most forum headers will show if there are any notifications).
    yop2unsw1ph1.png
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    August 26
    Exercised?: Yes. Drone track setup and pack up (over 10,000 steps).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Early start to a drone race on the other side of town (90 mins drive away). Was live streamed on YouTube. Sent the link to my wife and she could watch from home when any of my heats were on (messaged her when I was on, so not waiting around).

Had an amazing day and reached the final (top 6 of 20). Luck ran out for me in the finals but for me just getting there was an amazing feat (old man in a young mans sport - reflexes ain't what they used to be). The wind claimed many casualties (flying small craft through obstacles in gusty 20 to 30 knot winds is not easy). My more cautious approach is how I got to the final in the first place. :)

Work at client site tomorrow, so long commute morning and night.

Will try post more tomorrow (late night).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 26 is sit-ups or crunches (abs day - be sure to use a mat or towel for cushioning - )

2 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

The reason for only 2 sets for this exercise is that it ideally should be balanced with back strengthening exercises (which plank variants provide).
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Westray16
    Weigh in day Monday
    Week 5
    PW 195 lbs
    CW 193 lbs
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    Hey Gutbusters!

Is anyone interested in becoming a Captain and helping Craig out?!
    The duties include helping to motivate the team and helping to add the team weights into the spreadsheet.

Please let me @AB0215 or Craig @craigo3154 know.

Thanks!
  • mthomas0228
    mthomas0228 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Username: mthomas0228
    Weigh in Week: August Week 5
    Weigh in Day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 150.8
    Today's Weight: 149.9
  • cheeso1
    cheeso1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well only lost a 1lb but it’s better than putting it in x
  • WishfulThinning18
    Options
    Username: WishfulThinning18
    Weigh in week: August Week 5
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Previous Week's weight: 312.8
    Todays Weight: 310.8

Sorry for the late weigh in!

It's a good 2 pounds... but makes me wonder how much more I would have lost without those 3 days of free for all. I'm just a pound shy of being at 20 lbs! Which is also a big deal I suppose... but I've lost and gained all these same pounds over and over again so it's kind of lost it's flair. I'll be super excited when i hit the 280's because that's when I know I've broken the cycle.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    cheeso1 wrote: »
    Well only lost a 1lb but it’s better than putting it in x

@cheeso1. Well done for losing another pound. And this would make your weight?

I asked last week to post in a format, this week I will not enter a value into the spearsheet unless I have a number (not just "only lost a 1lb").
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    cheeso1 wrote: »
    I have lost 2lb this week really please with the weight loss.
    The key is to write everything down

@cheeso1. Well done. Too easy to forget things if they are not recorded.

I found MFP makes tracking food easy, but there are a few tricks to doing it well. Like ensuring macros are available for food you consume. Also weighing food till you are very good at estimating.

Lastly, please post weigh in data in the format:
    Username: cheeso1
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous Week's weight: 231.0 (your weight last week)
    Todays Weight: 229.0 (your weight on your weigh in day)

If you post in this format, it will not get missed as previous posts have.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 27
    Exercised?: No. Drone track setup and pack up (over 10,000 steps).

Worked across town (over 2 hours driving as unable to use public transport). Although 1km walk to lunch and return and various errands throughout the day, not enough to make for 20 mins dedicated activity.

Really tired and early night.

August 28
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5km in 38 mins (hills).

Worked from home today (shorter commute). Busy day, but managed to get a walk in (and it is very cold outside for what we usually get in Melbourne).

Also got a chance for flying tonight (under-cover car park). Very cold.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 28 is door frame rows ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
    • Third set

The reason for this exercise is push ups and dips work primarily the triceps (pushing). This exercise balances the others by working the biceps (pulling).
  • LesIckaBod
    edited August 2018
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    Hey Gutbusters!

The duties include helping to motivate the team and helping to add the team weights into the spreadsheet.

Thanks!

@AB0215 @craigo3154 I'm just putting this out here publicly that I'll be willing to help, unless there's someone else who's already responded privately. Not sure I'm the best motivator, but Sept is going to be a hefty work month for me, and I think maybe I personally could use the external motivation of helping ya'll to come back here and keep logging in for myself.

Either way, I hope to see everyone keep going for September!!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    AB0215 wrote: »
    Hey Gutbusters!

Thanks!

@AB0215 @craigo3154 I'm just putting this out here publicly that I'll be willing to help, unless there's someone else who's already responded privately. Not sure I'm the best motivator, but Sept is going to be a hefty work month for me, and I think maybe I personally could use the external motivation of helping ya'll to come back here and keep logging in for myself.

Either way, I hope to see everyone keep going for September!!

@LesIckaBod. Fantastic. All help eagerly appreciated. I will PM you.

Helping other, I find, also helps yourself. :)
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 5
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (63.3kg) 139.6
    Todays Weight: (63.4kg) 139.8

Still in the right range. :) . Been a struggle to keep motivated, lots to do and too many late nights. Sleep is important for weight/health management.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 5
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 164.0
    Current weight: 163.4

Well. It's a loss lol.

Been good so feeling a bit impatient but also ate some stuff with unknown calories and had to guesstimate for those so maybe that's it. I'll be careful this week and trust the process.

My legs are looking pretty dang good from the elliptical haha so there is that!

The 150s are coming y'all! Ahhh. It's really crazy to think about. If I shave off another 15 (which feels so doable at this point), I'll be at my high school weight but 10x more toned.
  • metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was out of town for a total of 28 hours and somehow (!) I ended up with a BigMac and fries on the way home from the airport tonight:( I took my son to his cardiologist, these hospital visits are very stressful. I thought i was not into stress eating anymore but clearly i have to still work on that. First junk food in 6 months:( Well, tomorrow is a new day but I'm curious if I'll still reach my goal of 161lbs on 8/31. Sigh...
This discussion has been closed.