The Projects Page

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited August 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Greater Happiness
Challenge: The Projects Page

Chances are there is something you’ve been meaning to get to. A project that you know needs to get done, but is time-consuming and given the urgency of kids, grandkids, jobs, school, and other commitments and obligations, these projects get sidelined and tagged for “when you have time”.

The problem, of course, is there is never enough time for a deep dive into a time-consuming, stressful, “Where do I even begin?” project. Nope, it just won’t happen if we wait for two weeks to magically open up in our calendars. But that doesn’t mean we have to keep putting these projects off. Let’s carve out a little bit of time this week, maybe 15 minutes a day, and just get started. Often the biggest and most stressful hurdle is just getting started. So let’s start!

This week’s challenge was suggested by @MadisonMolly2017 and seconded by @PackerFanInGB, who both want to tackle the mountain of photographs they’ve accumulated over the years that need culling, tagging, and organizing. Cleaning and organizing projects are good candidates for this week, but there are many other possibilities as well. Have you been thinking about a career change, or changing your life in some other substantial way, and need to carve out some dedicated time to explore what’s out there? Let this be the week!

No, you likely won’t be able to wrap up your project this week. But if you set aside 15 minutes day this week to get started, and then commit just an hour a week thereafter (maybe 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week?), by the end of 2018 you’ll have spent 20 hours on your project. You may have completed it, or it may be well underway, but one thing is for certain: you won’t be stressing about it anymore!

Because this is a multi-week effort, we’re going to keep this challenge open beyond this week as a place to share ideas, support, encouragement, and resources.

Please tell us about your project and let’s support each other and get these projects DONE!

Let’s make it a great week!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    Monday...a fresh start! Let's get MOVING!

c8bqlbupfjl7.png

Please post your Monday workout here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I need to tackle my file cabinet. I will dedicate 15 minutes to it every day this week.
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have what we call the storage closet in our apartment and things just go in there and we often forget what is in there. I will make that my challenge as I try to get to it twice a year. Its time to decide what is donatable and what should be kept.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    On the theme of "Greater Happiness" - I would like to recommend a book I got from the library and just starting reading: Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence by Rick Hanson. The author explains that our brains are wired to learn quickly from bad experiences, but not so much from good ones. "It's an ancient survival mechanism that turned the brain into Velcro for the negative, but Teflon for the positive." The author, a neuropsychologist, explains how we can override the brain's default programming and build new neural structures for happiness, confidence, love, and peace.

My project was to get in a half hour of reading everyday that has nothing to do with my work. So I am going to continue with that... but this challenge also made me think of another project that has been sitting around for four years waiting for completion. I plan to tackle that three days each week for an hour at a time, and that should get it done by the end of September.

Thanks for another great topic!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Hugs @MadisonMolly2017 ! I am proud of you.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,852 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , that is so great!!

My project is sewing. I have a bunch of projects and I haven't done any sewing at all this summer.

I'm making skirts for my granddaughters' birthdays (Aug 25 and Sept 24). I've got the August skirt finished, but I want to embellish a pocket with her favorite character - Prince Sidon. I also repaired my favorite workout shirt and a hoodie my daughter got on a trip to Boston. I did more than 15 minutes, but this is my last week before classes start, so I'm enjoying the longer time. Still, if I'd do 15 minutes a day, I could knock out these types of projects regularly instead of letting them pile up. I also have some sheer curtains that need to be hemmed.

Thanks for the great challenge @themedalist
  • pennysob
    pennysob Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have to clean the windows in the sun room, inside and out.I've been putting it off for a while.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,007 Member
    Options
    Forgot to do photos yesterday - eeps

Off to do at least 20, which will bring 3 day avg to 15 minutes.
  • themedalist
    Options
    These are terrific projects! I intended to also work on organizing photographs, but another project took hold. I want to keep moving forward with decluttering, so this week I’m focused on the bathrooms. Wow, who bought all this stuff?
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation this week and just got a chance to read this. I am going to spend 15 minutes per day tackling photo clean up!

I also need to declutter the bathroom, so continuing with that challenge too. 😊
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    I did not do my project this week. Just thinking about it gave me anxiety. I have to tackle it and I keep saying that every time, but I just don't want to start. I need to put into practice the 5 second rule concept from Mel Robbins. I need to open the file cabinet and start de cluttering. Just open it and do it, make myself do it. I will do better.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Project Tackle Photographs

@prgirl39mfp I know *exactly* how you feel. I *really* didn’t want to do this. You are right; the hardest part is starting.

5-second idea is great (hadn’t heard it!)

I use the “look through files & find something you can recycle/shred”... even 1 thing a day will result in 30 in a month, 100 in 3 mos, 365 in a year!

Week one:
    Aug 13: 25 mins (+10 mins ahead)
    Easier & more enjoyable than I thought it would be! I couldn’t decide where to start, so I told myself to just grab a stack. This is now my GoTo Method!

Aug 14: forgot (-5 behind)
    Aug 15: 55 mins (+35 mins ahead) Found Very Precious Photos & find I’m not grieving when I come upon one of someone who passed. Just SO grateful to have photos of them/happy times.
    Also uncovered many previous birth/early year photos of our son, again, so grateful. So sweet.

The only thing that still trips me up is my own self-talk when I find a photo of myself. But I’m catching what I say to myself & finding new words, “Wow, you look happy” “What a great mom” etc. It helps that I am thinner than I was then now. It’s mostly regret that I was unable to figure this out sooner. Moving in!!!

Finally, as I uncover these precious photos, I’m beginning to actually consider making some albums or Shutterfly books...considering scanning...these need to be shared with other family members!

For now, I’m organizing them by year as Marie Kondo recommends... but I’m open to better methods...help! :)

Aug 16: (+20 ahead)
    Aug 17: (+5 ahead)
    Aug 18: min. (-10 behind)
    Aug 19: min: 45 minutes (+20 ahead)
    I went through a stack & a shoebox of photos from 1997-1998. Happy Times: glad I have the photos I kept. But that’s when I was at my heaviest. But I do look very happy & I now have a Before Photo. I actually took it to mirror & looked at it & then me. I actually don’t look like the same person. :)

I decided to let myself “bank” minutes...to keep it fun/let myself finish a box of them

1st week: 15mins x 7 ✅ +20 in Bank

Aug 20
    Aug 21
    Aug 22
    Aug 23
    Aug 24
    Aug 25
    Aug 26
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Beginning Project: Tackle Photographs

Phase I: Photos on laptop / iCloud
    August 20:
    August 21:
    August 22:
    August 23: Pass - surgery day
    August 24: Pass - Day 1 Postop
    August 25:
    August 26:

Step 1. Begin by going through photos saved on my laptop. Save good and delete unnecessary "what the heck was I taking a picture of" photos. Try to at least pinpoint who it is and what year and name them.
    Step 2. Go through photos saved on external hard drive, following same rules as in Step 1.
    Step 3. Go through photos saved on iCloud, following rules of Step 1.
    Step 4. Go through photos on iPhone & iPad, following rules of Step 1.

Phase II: Photos in boxes downstairs...more to come.

P.S. I agree that this photo project is extremely intimidating! I just don't know where to begin. That's why I outlined the steps above. I have to start somewhere, right?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB Yes, it is intimidating!

I decided to begin with the non-digital photos, but I like your plan a lot so I’m saving it for when I *gulp* decide to do the digital ones!

For the boxes of photos:
    Supplies: rubber bands, pen, sticky notes

1. Grab a stack of photos in processing envelopes, look through, discarding fuzzy, bad, boring, and/or duplicates or “near duplicates”
    2. Label envelope with month/year
    3. When more than two, rubber band them together or place negatives& photos in the 1st envelope, adding sticky note “Summer 1998 Atlanta Trip”
    4. Repeat 15 minutes a day.
    5. After a while, sort envelopes chronologically in boxes.

After going through all pre-digital photographs, I will tackle digital...but I’m going to stick to 15 mins a day; I don’t want this to swallow my life!

I found this:
    http://www.teacherbytrademotherbynature.com/2016/12/my-konmari-journey-digital-clutter.html?m=1

Best to you! Good luck with your surgery!
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    1 project complete. Birthday skirt #1 finished. Pockets pattern matched and Prince Sidon is swimming with the other sharks.
    x7esf7sjk7cj.jpg
    eqlgy2f554gt.jpg
    sybvqieu943v.jpg

What a beautiful skirt!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Week one: 15mins x 7 ✅ +20 in Bank

Aug 20 45 mins ( +50 in Bank)
    Found more priceless photos - 2003-2004
    Aug 21 (optional)