The Projects Page

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    @PackerFanInGB Yes, it is intimidating!

I decided to begin with the non-digital photos, but I like your plan a lot so I’m saving it for when I *gulp* decide to do the digital ones!

For the boxes of photos:
    Supplies: rubber bands, pen, sticky notes

1. Grab a stack of photos in processing envelopes, look through, discarding fuzzy, bad, boring, and/or duplicates or “near duplicates”
    2. Label envelope with month/year
    3. When more than two, rubber band them together or place negatives& photos in the 1st envelope, adding sticky note “Summer 1998 Atlanta Trip”
    4. Repeat 15 minutes a day.
    5. After a while, sort envelopes chronologically in boxes.

After going through all pre-digital photographs, I will tackle digital...but I’m going to stick to 15 mins a day; I don’t want this to swallow my life!

I found this:
    http://www.teacherbytrademotherbynature.com/2016/12/my-konmari-journey-digital-clutter.html?m=1

Best to you! Good luck with your surgery!

Thank you both for the good luck wishes and the steps you are using for your nondigital photos. I like that plan! I hope you don't mind if I "steal it". :smile: I'm still not sure how I'm going to tackle the photos in boxes all mixed together with no order, no date, no reasoning, no names, etc... I can't even think about it without feeling my heart start thumping harder. Ugh.
  • PackerFanInGB
    77tes wrote: »
    1 project complete. Birthday skirt #1 finished. Pockets pattern matched and Prince Sidon is swimming with the other sharks.
    x7esf7sjk7cj.jpg
    eqlgy2f554gt.jpg
    sybvqieu943v.jpg

What a beautiful skirt!

I agree! What a great job you did on this @77tes !
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member

I decided to begin with the non-digital photos, but I like your plan a lot so I’m saving it for when I *gulp* decide to do the digital ones!

For the boxes of photos:

1. Grab a stack of photos in processing envelopes, look through, discarding fuzzy, bad, boring, and/or duplicates or “near duplicates”
    3. When more than two, rubber band them together or place negatives& photos in the 1st envelope, adding sticky note “Summer 1998 Atlanta Trip”

After going through all pre-digital photographs, I will tackle digital...but I’m going to stick to 15 mins a day; I don’t want this to swallow my life!

I found this:
    http://www.teacherbytrademotherbynature.com/2016/12/my-konmari-journey-digital-clutter.html?m=1

Thank you both for the good luck wishes and the steps you are using for your nondigital photos. I like that plan! I hope you don't mind if I "steal it". :smile: I'm still not sure how I'm going to tackle the photos in boxes all mixed together with no order, no date, no reasoning, no names, etc... I can't even think about it without feeling my heart start thumping harder. Ugh.

Here’s how she did her printed photos:
    http://www.teacherbytrademotherbynature.com/2016/09/my-konmari-journey-sentimental-photos.html?m=1

You know, I’ve actually been wondering to myself how important the dates are, actually. We put so much energy into that, but maybe we should just go through & pick the ones that make us HAPPY! The ones we pick up & hold to our heart, saying “OMG so precious, cute, or omg that was a fun time!” I thought of this idea a few times. Spending 15 mins on three packs of photos & when I woke up
    This morning, I realized there were probably 2-5 real amazing photos.
    In some ways, this approach will be easier with digital. You find one you love, put a heart on it, then throw it into a Shutterfly or similar.

Thank you @PackerFanInGB you helped me figure this out.
    My plan:
    1. complete the printed photo culling (to save space in home) 15 mins a day.
    2. Then with them all, go through selecting my Favorites-Perfects.
    3.Place the rest in a box in attic.
    4. 15 mins a day, go through digital photos. Starring Favorite-Perfects.
    5. Create Shutterfly Albums.
    6. Move all digital photos to back up hard drive.

Will take a few years most likely, but I’m enjoying my memories. And I can spare 15 mins a day. :)

Don’t think of the whole job- just 15 or 10 or 5 or even one minute a day!!!

Hugs.
  • PackerFanInGB

For the boxes of photos:

I found this:

Here’s how she did her printed photos:
    http://www.teacherbytrademotherbynature.com/2016/09/my-konmari-journey-sentimental-photos.html?m=1

You know, I’ve actually been wondering to myself how important the dates are, actually. We put so much energy into that, but maybe we should just go through & pick the ones that make us HAPPY! The ones we pick up & hold to our heart, saying “OMG so precious, cute, or omg that was a fun time!” I thought of this idea a few times. Spending 15 mins on three packs of photos & when I woke up
    This morning, I realized there were probably 2-5 real amazing photos.
    In some ways, this approach will be easier with digital. You find one you love, put a heart on it, then throw it into a Shutterfly or similar.

Thank you @PackerFanInGB you helped me figure this out.
    My plan:
    1. complete the printed photo culling (to save space in home) 15 mins a day.
    2. Then with them all, go through selecting my Favorites-Perfects.
    3.Place the rest in a box in attic.
    4. 15 mins a day, go through digital photos. Starring Favorite-Perfects.
    5. Create Shutterfly Albums.
    6. Move all digital photos to back up hard drive.

Will take a few years most likely, but I’m enjoying my memories. And I can spare 15 mins a day. :)

Don’t think of the whole job- just 15 or 10 or 5 or even one minute a day!!!

Hugs.

You know? You are absolutely correct! I've had those boxes for years and only look at them when I clean the basement or move. How many do I really need to keep? I'm going to do this too. Thank you. You have helped me come up with a plan for something I've been too overwhelmed to think about for years!

Good luck! :smiley:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited August 2018
    @PackerFanInGB
    Oh, I would never have thought of it if you had not posted.

It’s a game changer for us both!!

Such a difference to look for what we LOVE rather than being full-time archivists!! The reason I also didn’t tackle photos for years: I want to LIVE my life, not document it!

We’ve got this!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Project Tackle Photographs
    Week one: 15mins x 7 ✅ +20 in Bank

Aug 20 45 mins
    Found more priceless photos - 2003-2004
    Aug 21 15
    Aug 22 15
    Aug 23 15
    Aug 24
    A friend is bringing a jewelry armoire (tall, small, and not very deep) to me Sunday that she no longer wants. I was telling her about my 2nd jewelry pass...

So, I spent today doing a 2nd big pass at our closet. Looks much better, got rid of some clothes that are too big, two blouses that fit but are us flattering & unable to be altered, and lots of miscellaneous things. Put on a lot of labels. Found a box of “thin” tops that I had saved — they are now hanging up for me to use!! When I was done, my friend texted to say they’re coming tomorrow!!!

I also cleaned off dresser, bookshelf, and desk in bedroom!!

Then, I spent an hour decluttering my desktop on my laptop.

A good, fun, productive day!

Aug 25 (+5 in Bank)
    Aug 26
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    mxchana wrote: »
    On the theme of "Greater Happiness" - I would like to recommend a book I got from the library and just starting reading: Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence by Rick Hanson. The author explains that our brains are wired to learn quickly from bad experiences, but not so much from good ones. "It's an ancient survival mechanism that turned the brain into Velcro for the negative, but Teflon for the positive." The author, a neuropsychologist, explains how we can override the brain's default programming and build new neural structures for happiness, confidence, love, and peace.

My project was to get in a half hour of reading everyday that has nothing to do with my work. So I am going to continue with that... but this challenge also made me think of another project that has been sitting around for four years waiting for completion. I plan to tackle that three days each week for an hour at a time, and that should get it done by the end of September.

Thanks for another great topic!

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited August 2018
    My project was to get in a half hour of reading everyday that has nothing to do with my work. So I am going to continue with that... but this challenge also made me think of another project that has been sitting around for four years waiting for completion. I plan to tackle that three days each week for an hour at a time, and that should get it done by the end of September.

Half hour of reading daily - I have done and actually exceeded that, which is making my vacation much more enjoyable.

That OTHER project - not started yet; I think I should be able to make some forward progress on it this coming week.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,209 Member
    mxchana wrote: »
    On the theme of "Greater Happiness" - I would like to recommend a book I got from the library and just starting reading: Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence by Rick Hanson. The author explains that our brains are wired to learn quickly from bad experiences, but not so much from good ones. "It's an ancient survival mechanism that turned the brain into Velcro for the negative, but Teflon for the positive." The author, a neuropsychologist, explains how we can override the brain's default programming and build new neural structures for happiness, confidence, love, and peace.

Thanks for another great topic!

@mxchana, I read this book about a year ago and it has stuck with me. It makes sense that our tendency to look at things negatively has prehistoric roots (there could have been a tiger lurking in those bushes!) but yes, it doesn’t serve us very well now. Our thought patterns, positive and negative, are very much habits, which means we can change them if we want to. It isn’t easy and it doesn’t happen overnight, but it is possible.

Thanks for recommending this book!
  • themedalist
    Week one: 15mins x 7 ✅ +20 in Bank

Aug 20 45 mins
    Aug 21 15
    Aug 22 15
    Aug 23 15
    Aug 24
    A friend is bringing a jewelry armoire (tall, small, and not very deep) to me Sunday that she no longer wants. I was telling her about my 2nd jewelry pass...

So, I spent today doing a 2nd big pass at our closet. Looks much better, got rid of some clothes that are too big, two blouses that fit but are us flattering & unable to be altered, and lots of miscellaneous things. Put on a lot of labels. Found a box of “thin” tops that I had saved — they are now hanging up for me to use!! When I was done, my friend texted to say they’re coming tomorrow!!!

I also cleaned off dresser, bookshelf, and desk in bedroom!!

Then, I spent an hour decluttering my desktop on my laptop.

A good, fun, productive day!

Aug 25 (+5 in Bank)
    Aug 26

@MadisonMolly2017, I still intend to make progress on my photography pile in the next few months, so I really appreciate the legwork you and @PackerFanInGB are doing now which I know I’ll benefit from. Great job decluttering too!
  • themedalist
    I haven’t made much progress on my bathroom cleanup of late. But that’s the great thing about this Projects Page. It’s open ended with no timelines or deadlines!

But I did scrub down the kitchen, hallway, and living room walls and doorways today. It was a great workout! The rooms look so much better. My parent arrive next weekend. :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Week one: ✅

Aug 20 45 mins
    Aug 21 15
    Aug 22 15
    Aug 23 15
    Aug 24 [3 hours major decluttering-closet, clothes, laptop]

Aug 25 15 (+10 in bank)
    First time I teared up. 15 mins is a good duration when that happens. Found a poem I wrote, sweet messages from former students, a journal that our son dictated about my going off to teach my first class 😢 Perhaps it was too much after major decluttering yesterday; it can be emotionally tough. Just 5 minutes tomorrow :)

Aug 26
  • MadisonMolly2017
    I haven’t made much progress on my bathroom cleanup of late. But that’s the great thing about this Projects Page. It’s open ended with no timelines or deadlines!

But I did scrub down the kitchen, hallway, and living room walls and doorways today. It was a great workout! The rooms look so much better. My parent arrive next weekend. :)

@themedalist
    Sounds as though you’re doing a lot!! I do love that housework & decluttering raises our NEAT!

Thanks for your kind words. Bedroom & closet are much better & the second MarieKondo pass goes SO MUCH FASTER. I feel I’m better able to know what I love & what I don’t. And I know I’ve never missed something I gave away. I really like things neat now, with a location for each type of item. A big change. :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Week two: ✅
    I decided I was not going to quit this project. I spent a few days doing massive projects in my closet, realizing Marie Kondo is right. It’s important to do clothes, books, papers, Komono (misc items), and THEN sentimental items.

The clothes in our closet now take half the space, and I had made many passes I. It before.

I figure I’m 2-4 days away from having ALL my clothing TRULY Marie Kondo’d. It definitely made my hour with my photos easier today. Found many photos of me at my highest weight (20 years ago). I concentrated on how sweet & happy I looked.

I’m not quitting. I know if I persevere I will have more peace.

Week 3:
    Aug 27: 15
    Aug 28: 15
    Aug 29: 15
    Aug 30: 5 in the Bank, need 10 more
    Aug 31 need 15
    Sep 1 need 15
    Sep 2 need 15
  • themedalist
    @MadisonMolly2017, I love reading your updates! You are going to feel so much better when you’ve waded through your closet and purged what you don’t want or need. And I’m happy to hear that you are focusing on on the good, positive aspects of old photographs.

Every week a little more progress. There’s no hurry. There’s no deadline. But every week you are moving forward!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Thank you @themedalist!! That means a lot!
    And congratulations on 2600 days!!!!!!!!

Today, I went crazy decluttering/cleaning/organizing & had a blast the whole time + tons of steps and arm workout.

Kept working on jewelry & have just 7-8 articles of clothing in closet to decide upon tomorrow. Researched ways to clean old jewelry.

Put up a piece of art
    Spent 90 mins compiling comprehensive to do list! 🤪 and filed, too! Whew! WhooHooo!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited August 2018
    Week two: ✅
    I decided I was not going to quit this project. I spent a few days doing massive projects in my closet, realizing Marie Kondo is right. It’s important to do clothes, books, papers, Komono (misc items), and THEN sentimental items.

The clothes in our closet now take half the space, and I had made many passes I. It before.

I figure I’m 2-4 days away from having ALL my clothing TRULY Marie Kondo’d. It definitely made my hour with my photos easier today. Found many photos of me at my highest weight (20 years ago). I concentrated on how sweet & happy I looked.

I’m not quitting. I know if I persevere I will have more peace.

Week 3:
    Aug 27: 15
    Aug 28: 15
    Aug 29: 15
    Aug 30: 15
    Aug 31 15
    Sep 1 15
    Sep 2 10 need 5 (it’s getting easier!!!!). I went back to do the tub of memories that made me feel sad last week, and ended up spending 45 and felt fine this time!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,680 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 , you are my hero!
  • themedalist
    77tes wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 , you are my hero!

Mine too!
  • themedalist
    I’ve been thinking a lot about my project. Initially, I was planning to do some regular decluttering as I always like how my house looks and how I feel after I’ve tidied up. But I just haven’t been able to dive in. Some of it is timing. I’m transitioning to a new job this month and that’s taken a lot of focus. But I also realize that right now, my heart’s just not in decluttering.

My goal in creating this project page was to create a space where we can plug away at projects we’ve been meeting to get to but just haven’t yet. Projects that left undone are causing us stress and detracting from our happiness. I do have such a project. Thank you letters. Multiple thank you letters that I’ve been meaning to write for in some cases more than a year. One of my personal goals is to cultivate gratitude everyday. I want to write letters of thanks to people and companies that have made my life fundamentally better. These aren’t thank you notes for gifts, but rather life changing ideas and products that have made my life so much better.

There are 4 letters I’d like to write this month. But I’m not committing to getting all of them done in September. Rather, I’m going to spend 15 to 20 minutes a day working on them. A little bit of time every day is all I need to make progress.

I will be updating you on my progress!