The Projects Page

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @77tes Oh wow! What a find!!! Was it already in the cabinet? I hope you can get it to work! There's always room for one more sewing machine, isn't there?

I hope it works as well. I bet that sewing machine has a lot of stories to tell: garments made and repaired, costumes created....maybe draperies?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,873 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @77tes Oh wow! What a find!!! Was it already in the cabinet? I hope you can get it to work! There's always room for one more sewing machine, isn't there?

Yep, cabinet and machine!! I'm so excited! I've always wanted a cabinet so I could tuck my machine away quickly.

So true @themedalist , I sort of feel like I'm rescuing it from the dump. It was clearly well-loved since it is in pretty nice condition, and well used since the cabinet has had a strip of wood added to support the flip out extension.
  • gojolida
    gojolida Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @gojolida Writing a book sounds exciting! I hope you can share more about it with us later.

My role is a little different. I'll share info if and when I can!
    Happy to say that I've been nailing my 2 hour goal these past couple days! It's been feeling really good to ramp up my productivity. Thank you all for the inspiration!!

@77tes What an exciting find! What will you make?
  • 77tes
    Options
    @gojolida, Kudos for making your goal. Right now my new baby is getting an overhaul (hubby is giving me her spa treatment for my birthday present) at the reair shop before I start making anything. However, I'm ready - I bought some Maurauders Map fabric to make T-shirts for my granddaughters who are currently reading Harry Potter. If I get them done in time, they will be Christmas presents. I've never sewn knits before, so I'll be pushing myself and testing my machines (my old one is supposed to sew stretch fabrics beautifully, but I've never tried it).
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,017 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @gojolida , a book! Wow, that's quite the project. I am currently reading through Anthony Trollope 's novels who was famous for his writing habits. Here's a great article about him and his writing routine. I hope you find it inspiring (and not intimidating). :)
    https://jamesclear.com/anthony-trollope

@77tes
    Arm is feeling better today so I’m
    Playing catch-up heee!

I loved this article!! Thank you! I might make an abacus for my macros so I can more easily see what fraction I have left floor dinner!!

• 77tes
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , good to see you! I'm glad the arm is better.

I got my new (old) sewing machine back from the spa, and she is polished and loo!ing as good as new. She is resting in her cabinet after I gave her a test drive. She sews like I she could sew up a truck!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @77tes that’s incredible!! And the fact that you found it sitting outside and waiting for you to drive by and rescue it is even more amazing!! I have an old ‘69 relic in the closet (high school grad gift) that could give her a run for the money! I really should dig that one out sometime and see if it still has any get-up-and-go.

• gojolida
    Options

I got my new (old) sewing machine back from the spa, and she is polished and loo!ing as good as new. She is resting in her cabinet after I gave her a test drive. She sews like I she could sew up a truck!

how wonderful! what are you planning on making?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

Thank you!
    I got my sewing machine fixed up
    At spa too! About 18 mos ago lol
    Painting then sewing on fabric & embellishments. Great fun. I must crack it out Soon! 😀
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Here is my next project . I found it on the curb, left out for the trash. These old sewing machines are all metal and would see through any thing. I need to find out if it will run, and then find a place for it in my little house.
    Today I dropped the machine at a repair shop to have it assessed.

Good luck! That's a great find!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 How are you healing? Are things getting any easier for you?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

Oh thank you for checking! @PackerFanInGB !!

I still can’t use my dominant arm because I am in a passive stage of recovery. Which means I can do physical therapy but I have to move the injured arm with pulleys or with my other hand. That will continue until two months post fracture or November 20 at which point They’ll do an x-ray and decide if the bone is healed enough to start doing active actual muscle building and if I’ll be able to use the arm more.

I hit the wall a bit on Saturday morning because it’s just been a long haul and I’m on some prednisone now which I know slows down healing AND badly disrupts sleep, so I got kind of stressed out about that worrying about that and everything I love to do pretty much I can’t do with my non-dominant arm. I like to sew (I wanted to design & sew some thin clothes), I like to paint and draw, I like to cook sometimes, I like to write, but I can’t right now and I also can’t type without the arm hurting quite a lot, and little things around the house become very difficult for instance I can’t carry a tray so I have to take each item upstairs individually or I was trying to re-organize some things in my art studio and the drawers were too heavy for me to lift and rearrange — even little things become difficult one-armed.

I also can’t drive for probably 2-3 months, so I can’t go to the movies or go to an art museum: pretty much housebound again. But the way I dealt with that before was I would do lots of walks to a nearby town but we’ve had horrendous California fires very devastating fires actually That have made the air-quality unhealthy to be outside for the past three or four days so now I can’t even go for my walks or go into town. Hopefully this will end soon But I feel bad even saying anything because there has been tremendous loss of life and property so in the big scheme of things, this is all nothing

So I was feeling pretty cabin feverish but I ended up turning around very quickly yesterday morning and just started puttering around and getting the house super organized & doing those pesky desk jobs (trashed another 3,000 old emails)

I figured well if you’re stuck in the cabin make the cabin really nice, so I do what I can and then every once in awhile, I ask hubby to move a few heavy things. I’m careful of the arm and get some steps in at least. then when I look around I feel more at peace because if feels like I have actually done something that day. And when I can use my arm and when I can get out and about, the house will be set and I won’t have to spend time on this.

I also try to remind myself that I have handled this whole journey of mine since about March or April 2017 with the transplant & now the arm break with a lot of strength and grace I have to be compassionate with myself when I I can usually get overwhelmed and I thought I would be back to full living.

I’ve also been concentrating on reading every day which I have gotten out of the habit of doing. And I’ve have really been enjoying them. I’ve definitely been spending too much time on my phone and not enough with the written word so it’s a small slow start but I think it’s one that I will grow over the next decade or two. Seems to be really good for my brain!

It can be hard for me to slow down and her this is kind of make me slow down a little bit. I think I was worried that if I slow down I would gain the weight back but actually I am doing well with my food and probably lost some muscle because of not being able to do Pilates but I will in the future! I’m within 4-7 lbs of my final GW.

I have set up teas and walks when air clears with some friends & US Thanksgiving is soon. All will be fine! ♥️

I truly appreciate you checking in and I hope this wasn’t too much of a ramble. I’m very grateful.

And how are you doing?
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options

Oh thank you for checking! @PackerFanInGB !!

I still can’t use my dominant arm because I am in a passive stage of recovery. Which means I can do physical therapy but I have to move the injured arm with pulleys or with my other hand. That will continue until two months post fracture or November 20 at which point They’ll do an x-ray and decide if the bone is healed enough to start doing active actual muscle building and if I’ll be able to use the arm more.

I hit the wall a bit on Saturday morning because it’s just been a long haul and I’m on some prednisone now which I know slows down healing AND badly disrupts sleep, so I got kind of stressed out about that worrying about that and everything I love to do pretty much I can’t do with my non-dominant arm. I like to sew (I wanted to design & sew some thin clothes), I like to paint and draw, I like to cook sometimes, I like to write, but I can’t right now and I also can’t type without the arm hurting quite a lot, and little things around the house become very difficult for instance I can’t carry a tray so I have to take each item upstairs individually or I was trying to re-organize some things in my art studio and the drawers were too heavy for me to lift and rearrange — even little things become difficult one-armed.

I also can’t drive for probably 2-3 months, so I can’t go to the movies or go to an art museum: pretty much housebound again. But the way I dealt with that before was I would do lots of walks to a nearby town but we’ve had horrendous California fires very devastating fires actually That have made the air-quality unhealthy to be outside for the past three or four days so now I can’t even go for my walks or go into town. Hopefully this will end soon But I feel bad even saying anything because there has been tremendous loss of life and property so in the big scheme of things, this is all nothing

So I was feeling pretty cabin feverish but I ended up turning around very quickly yesterday morning and just started puttering around and getting the house super organized & doing those pesky desk jobs (trashed another 3,000 old emails)

I figured well if you’re stuck in the cabin make the cabin really nice, so I do what I can and then every once in awhile, I ask hubby to move a few heavy things. I’m careful of the arm and get some steps in at least. then when I look around I feel more at peace because if feels like I have actually done something that day. And when I can use my arm and when I can get out and about, the house will be set and I won’t have to spend time on this.

I also try to remind myself that I have handled this whole journey of mine since about March or April 2017 with the transplant & now the arm break with a lot of strength and grace I have to be compassionate with myself when I I can usually get overwhelmed and I thought I would be back to full living.

I’ve also been concentrating on reading every day which I have gotten out of the habit of doing. And I’ve have really been enjoying them. I’ve definitely been spending too much time on my phone and not enough with the written word so it’s a small slow start but I think it’s one that I will grow over the next decade or two. Seems to be really good for my brain!

It can be hard for me to slow down and her this is kind of make me slow down a little bit. I think I was worried that if I slow down I would gain the weight back but actually I am doing well with my food and probably lost some muscle because of not being able to do Pilates but I will in the future! I’m within 4-7 lbs of my final GW.

I have set up teas and walks when air clears with some friends & US Thanksgiving is soon. All will be fine! ♥️

I truly appreciate you checking in and I hope this wasn’t too much of a ramble. I’m very grateful.

And how are you doing?

Not a ramble at all, @MadisonMolly2017. I so appreciate the time you took to write this and the detailed window into what your life is like for you at the moment. You have an unflappably positive attitude, but even that's being tested at the moment. "if you’re stuck in the cabin make the cabin really nice"... LOVE THIS! <3

It WILL get better for you. 2019 is going to be an awesome year for you!

And yes, @PackerFanInGB, how are you doing? I know your hip surgery wasn't that long ago!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 you've had a long time of struggles with that arm recovery. It's totally understandable that you'd have days that aren't the best while waiting for "normal" to return. You will never take the small things that are difficult for you now for granted once you're back to full steam ahead. And that time will come. Nov 20 is next week already so you're inching closer to getting more physical activity. I hope the x-rays look great! It sounds like you're making a lot of head ways on the desk jobs in spite of your limitations. You can't keep some people down, right!?!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 you've had a long time of struggles with that arm recovery. It's totally understandable that you'd have days that aren't the best while waiting for "normal" to return. You will never take the small things that are difficult for you now for granted once you're back to full steam ahead. And that time will come. Nov 20 is next week already so you're inching closer to getting more physical activity. I hope the x-rays look great! It sounds like you're making a lot of head ways on the desk jobs in spite of your limitations. You can't keep some people down, right!?!

Awww @nebslp Thank you so much! I do think the prednisone is revving me up some LOL & I slept well last night!!

Getting tons done & read a chapter in my book too haha!

How are you doing? 💞
  • gojolida
    Options
    Hi everyone! I knew it would work -- setting a timer for 2 hrs every day (and really great audiobooks I look forward to listening to while working) got me in motion to the point where I could sit down and work for longer periods of time!
    I finished the challenging part of my project, now I need to refine what I've already done. Home stretch!

Then, I'll start another project soon! Thank you all for the motivation!
    How are your projects going?
  • 77tes
    Options
    @gojolinda, I'm so glad to hear that you've been making such progress! Kudos. Revision is tough, too, but not as hard as the writing itself.

I pre-washed 6 yards of fabric (Harry Potter Mauraders' Map knit) last night. I hope to cut something out today. Cutting always scares me, so I need to "screw up my courage to the sticking place," and get it done.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @gojolida Good for you! I think that is such a great idea! You had a great idea and mapped out a successful plan, and that is not easy to do! You go girl!

I used have an app on my phone that I could set for 30 or 45 minutes of work, then an alarm would remind me to take a 5 minute break, and so on through out the day. I wish I could remember the name of that app. It was kind of the same concept...kept me on task because I knew I wouldn't go over my allotted time so I could focus without worry of missing a meeting.

Have a great day!

@77tes Good luck with the cutting! Are you making a skirt or something else with it? I wish I could sew clothing! Such talent and patience it takes!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB , I'm making T shirts and if they go well, some PJ bottoms. I've been sewing for years but was always afraid of stretch knits. My mother took them on when they came out with double knits in the 1960, but I've always stuck to woven fabrics.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes it’s funny that you said cutting the fabric was the scary part of sewing. Shortly after reading that I cut some panels for new bedroom curtains and miscut the very first one! I used my 18X24” cutting mat to measure and used the 24” length but counted it as 18”. Thank heavens I only did it once and had enough fabric so there won’t be a problem. I even thought about the rule, “measure twice and cut once”. So I can totally relate! My new saying is ...measure as many times as it takes to make sure it’s right!