The Projects Page

Options

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @77tes and @nebslp I never heard of measure twice, cut once! Good rule to follow! You should see what I did to a 9-patch square in the quilt I’m making now! Good grief! An inch shorter than all the others. I’m doing some inventive thinking right now... 😁
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB 😂sometimes being an inch off might not be that big a deal, but in a nine patch square....you might have a few issues🤣. Good luck!!! I’ve done that before, too, so I speak from experience. There’s always a solution though.
  • nebslp
    Options
    My list of Christmas projects got longer yesterday. I already have “make 4 crayon/marker holders that can be rolled up, 4 sleeping bags for stuffed animals, and 5 shopping bags made with Paris fabric” and now I’ve added “make 3 doggie sweatshirts.” And we’ll be on the road to NM in 3 weeks. I need to learn to kick my perfectionism/procrastination mode to the curb!!! Making a detailed schedule on paper and checking it every morning will be the only way to get it done without feeling totally overwhelmed. I’m excited though!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,013 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    My list of Christmas projects got longer yesterday. I already have “make 4 crayon/marker holders that can be rolled up, 4 sleeping bags for stuffed animals, and 5 shopping bags made with Paris fabric” and now I’ve added “make 3 doggie sweatshirts.” And we’ll be on the road to NM in 3 weeks. I need to learn to kick my perfectionism/procrastination mode to the curb!!! Making a detailed schedule on paper and checking it every morning will be the only way to get it done without feeling totally overwhelmed. I’m excited though!

WOW that’s a lot! Go @nebslp :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I’ve been working on a Project that will take a week or so. Already spent 5-6 hours so far, but it’s working out well.

For years I haven’t really kept in touch with friends and family as well as I would like to because I didn’t have their addresses, birthdates, current contact info at my fingertips AND For a fair number of the people I know I only have an email or some other social media link...

And I realize that if they left that social media platform or change your emails I am my not be able to get in touch with them again so I’m actually making a notebook that has pages that you can pull out and replace it’s kind of small and very pretty I got one that I really liked and I’m putting all the birthdates of all the folks that I want to send cards to for their birthdays

Then I have an address section and I’ve categorize it by family neighbors, work friends. I’m in sending text messages to people if I don’t have their birthday yes it’s embarrassing but I’d rather have it and they been very happy to get it to me or if I don’t have a current phone number I’m not sure something is accurate and they’ve been very quick about replying.

I’m also going through all my passwords and organizing them by type like a diet and exercise, or art apps, medical etc.

This is going to make things so much faster & less frustrating for me, build my relationships with others because I DO care but have not shown it as well as I could have...

I plan to copy book in the passwords and put it in the safety deposit box as back up

I’m also transferring the info I have on my phone to the book too in case it fails in some way.

And when all this gets too weary, I have now collected in one space all my miscellaneous home decorative items (non-holiday, non-photo, non-flat art, non dishes we use) so vases, knock-knacks, glass small sculptures, humorous items, a decorative teapot, etc. Sone are sentimental - which I realize is a really good category to display as they bring up such happy memories...I’m thinking of figuring out a way to put a couple of my favorite childhood toys out!!

(I’ve culled many times before but not in one location altogether) and I’m excited to go through the lot, decide if I should keep each item & then organize by color/material/type and display/store to rotate on display periodically.

The two projects balance each other out :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,865 Member
    Options
    Wow! @MadisonMolly2017 , that sounds like a great project. I have an old Rolodex that works similarly and a database with Christmas card addresses, and an old birthday list ( it's supposed to hold cards, but pockets were only big enough to hold one), but I've never had them in one place. People seem to change phone numbers fairly often nowadays. I'm pretty bad about updating them ( except the Christmas cards list).

I used my new (old) machine. I'm a little fearful of trying it on Christmas presents, so I pulled out a UFO (unfinished object) from my stash, and started sewing. Now I have a little summer shirt finished just in time for cooler weather. :D
    xnwm7x62n8xi.jpg
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Those are great projects, @MadisonMolly2017. I may follow your lead. I’d like to keep in touch better with people too. One idea I like is to get an assortment of cards first rather than when an event is coming up. It doesn’t seem like getting a card would be much of an obstacle, but it often is. If I had the cards on hand, there would be fewer steps. I’m going to try this approach.

Great shirt, @77tes!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @tes7
    77tes wrote: »
    Wow! @MadisonMolly2017 , that sounds like a great project. I have an old Rolodex that works similarly and a database with Christmas card addresses, and an old birthday list ( it's supposed to hold cards, but pockets were only big enough to hold one), but I've never had them in one place. People seem to change phone numbers fairly often nowadays. I'm pretty bad about updating them ( except the Christmas cards list).

I used my new (old) machine. I'm a little fearful of trying it on Christmas presents, so I pulled out a UFO (unfinished object) from my stash, and started sewing. Now I have a little summer shirt finished just in time for cooler weather. :D
    xnwm7x62n8xi.jpg

Yes, I’m only consolidating to make my workspace more “minimalist” I think I’m addicted to more space & cleaner lines now
    Haha!

You are a sewing phenomenon!! I see verrry slowly - I make art slowly too. I might have to try some art sprints!!

Have a great day!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Those are great projects, @MadisonMolly2017. I may follow your lead. I’d like to keep in touch better with people too. One idea I like is to get an assortment of cards first rather than when an event is coming up. It doesn’t seem like getting a card would be much of an obstacle, but it often is. If I had the cards on hand, there would be fewer steps. I’m going to try this approach.

Great shirt, @77tes!

Nice idea @themedalist
    As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized EVEN more how much the people in my life mean to me - including you & the others in this group!! And, everyone is so busy, it is easy to lose touch, drift apart... so I’m initiating contact more & my binder will help with the folks who are not on social media

I agree with having cards on stock! I had them & early in decluttering went through, only keeping the ones I thought I’d actually use. Sorted them in a drawer. I used them mostly for gifts.

Sorry then I moved them all to a file storage box.

Decided what I needed was a new Habit!
    Not ready to do it yet (must finish addresses) but my plan is to set up a cute little table & send one card a day! (If that is too frequent, I’ll adjust)
    Good Mail makes people happy!! An easy way to brighten folks’ day! ✉️

Also looks like I’m shifting back into Journaling... going to get the Atomic Habits book & the Journal (extra 20% off thru Nov 30) Excited!! It’s ALL about Habits!!!

• nebslp
    Options
    @77tes your “new” machine seems to be working quite well. Very nice 👚!

@MadisonMolly2017 You are on a roll with decluttering/organizing everything! I need to do something with passwords. They are definitely not in a safe place and half the time I try 1/2 dozen times before coming up with the right one. 😬

Finding Christmas card addresses has been easy since I started cutting off return address labels a few years ago as soon as I get cards. I store them in my card box that always has one or more leftover to use the next year. I also made a chart with spaces to check off name, written in, addressed, and mailed when I get each thing done. Nothing fancy, but it keeps me from forgetting someone. When I’m finished sending, the box goes in one of my Christmas boxes in the basement so I always know where they are the next year.

I keep most of my addresses in my phone now. It’s really convenient when I want to mail a card but didn’t write the address down before leaving home or if I buy a card to mail after I go shopping. And I write birthdays on my calendar in the kitchen. I still forget to mail a card ahead of time sometimes. Probably should put that on the calendar, too!

And I have had a shoebox with homemade cardboard dividers labeled wedding, birthday, sympathy, baby/wedding shower, thinking of you, etc. in my closet for so many years I’m afraid the cards I bought and stashed are turning yellow by now! Once in awhile I go through it but I really need to send more old cards or recycle them. @themedalist I like to buy new, personal ones for close people and special events, too, but the old ones come in handy when I need one in a pinch. I’ve been meaning to send my gkids cards just for fun so maybe that’s a good way to use up some of the thinking of you or blank ones. So many good intentions wasted🙁 but it’s never too late to start. I love your idea of having a pretty writing table with all the supplies in one area, @MadisonMolly2017 .

All of you, thank you for sharing your ideas. It makes me want to keep going on the things I have started and gives me new ways of looking at things.

• 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp , Love your marker roll-ups!

I also have a stash of cards - particularly sympathy cards, since I'm pretty picky about the sentiments, and you can't plan when you'll need them.
  • nebslp
    Options
    7jixfs91gttv.jpeg
    I made these reversible shopping bags for my Thursday morning coffee ladies. Vintage fabrics for us vintage ladies!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    On to the next project...a minky/fleece blanket for my grandson who outgrew his baby blanket and wants a big one just like it. Fingers crossed it works out!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @nebslp and @77tes, the pictures of your finished sewing projects are such a delight to look at! Thank you for posting them!

And your finished projects are amazing, indeed! You ladies are talented <3 .

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    j5bllwr5zmm1.jpeg
    e272v1kynwsi.jpeg
    I have no clue what I’m doing but hopefully my marker roll up project will magically appear on your screens. It’s just a bunch of numbers an$ letters right now! Here goes...

I love these!! You are so talented! I hope as I get to know my sewing machine better that I will be able to make fun things like this too someday. :)
  • 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp, those shopping bags are terrific! Lucky ladies to receive them.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Lovely work, Ladies! The recipients will love them❣️
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @nebslp How did I miss the picture of the shopping bags?! Those are so cute! I've been trying to think of a way I can make one of those out of scrappy quilt squares!

There sure is a lot of talent in this group! <3
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @77tes your “new” machine seems to be working quite well. Very nice 👚!

@MadisonMolly2017 You are on a roll with decluttering/organizing everything! I need to do something with passwords. They are definitely not in a safe place and half the time I try 1/2 dozen times before coming up with the right one. 😬

Finding Christmas card addresses has been easy since I started cutting off return address labels a few years ago as soon as I get cards. I store them in my card box that always has one or more leftover to use the next year. I also made a chart with spaces to check off name, written in, addressed, and mailed when I get each thing done. Nothing fancy, but it keeps me from forgetting someone. When I’m finished sending, the box goes in one of my Christmas boxes in the basement so I always know where they are the next year.

I keep most of my addresses in my phone now. It’s really convenient when I want to mail a card but didn’t write the address down before leaving home or if I buy a card to mail after I go shopping. And I write birthdays on my calendar in the kitchen. I still forget to mail a card ahead of time sometimes. Probably should put that on the calendar, too!

And I have had a shoebox with homemade cardboard dividers labeled wedding, birthday, sympathy, baby/wedding shower, thinking of you, etc. in my closet for so many years I’m afraid the cards I bought and stashed are turning yellow by now! Once in awhile I go through it but I really need to send more old cards or recycle them. @themedalist I like to buy new, personal ones for close people and special events, too, but the old ones come in handy when I need one in a pinch. I’ve been meaning to send my gkids cards just for fun so maybe that’s a good way to use up some of the thinking of you or blank ones. So many good intentions wasted🙁 but it’s never too late to start. I love your idea of having a pretty writing table with all the supplies in one area, @MadisonMolly2017 .

All of you, thank you for sharing your ideas. It makes me want to keep going on the things I have started and gives me new ways of looking at things.

I love the idea of the shoebox with dividers and cards! I am going to follow up on that one for sure. I buy cards and then lose them because they never go in the same place twice, you know... Then I find them and they're so outdated that I toss them.

I would also really like to get back in the habit of sending cards or letters to people routinely and not just a Christmas card once a year if I have time. I know how much I enjoy getting something in the mail other than bills or advertisements. I'll bet other people do too...

Great ideas here from you and @MadisonMolly2017 !