The Projects Page

Options

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @PackerFanInGB I was excited to see someone had posted on the Projects page. Can you see how excited I am to hear about your quilt😁!!! Keep us posted as to how it’s going! I think it’s important to keep a balance of projects between work and play. And play is just as important (maybe more) for our creative minds. The more you play, the more fun you have, you feel more productive, that gives you energy and desire to do more, and so it goes!

Do you use a rotary cutter and quilting ruler to square up your blocks? That seems to work best for me.

I do use a rotary cutter, ruler and mat to square up my blocks! I struggle with the ruler sliding around on me a lot though. I'm really hoping this quilt turns out because I really liked the material I'm using. I bought a layer cake of pretty flowery material when I was at a quilting show and I've been making up the pattern in my head as I go. I took parts from one YouTube video and am using some things I saw on another YouTube video and am mixing the techniques. It will either turn out pretty, or it will be one very strange looking quilt! :smile: I'll post a picture for you if you want, once I get the blocks put together!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB, I'm with @nebslp on being excited to see a new post on the project page! Especially when the project is not one that I have done.

I love to learn about new things that I haven't done, or probably will never do, if that makes sense 😉. Keep us updated for sure!

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,007 Member
    Options
    I’m excited too! And I totally agre with @bebslo on the importance of play/creative acts. They lift us through all the rest!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,852 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB , the quilt sounds great! I can't wait to see your progress.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I started a quilt for my granddaughter a few months ago before summer hit like a tornado and am just now getting back to it. I had 9 blocks made when I decided I wanted to use one different color. I will use those already made blocks for another quilt in the future. So I bought the fabric I wanted and decided on a different pattern. However, I don't have a pattern so I've spent a lot of time drawing out the King's Crown pattern on graph paper and then figuring out how big the squares and triangles need to be (with a little, OK a lot, of help from youtube). Tonight I made a sample block and have discovered some of the triangles are too small. Fortunately I hadn't cut out many of those yet and will go back to the drawing board and the cutting board until I get it right. I love this kind of challenge because I know it will all turn out in the end if I keep working and using my brain to figure it out. Keeping fingers crossed doesn't hurt.

@PackerFanInGB I know you've had lots to deal with recently but I hope you've had time to work on your quilt. I think it helps clear the mind of everything and keeps you in the moment when working on a project like that.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I started a quilt for my granddaughter a few months ago before summer hit like a tornado and am just now getting back to it. I had 9 blocks made when I decided I wanted to use one different color. I will use those already made blocks for another quilt in the future. So I bought the fabric I wanted and decided on a different pattern. However, I don't have a pattern so I've spent a lot of time drawing out the King's Crown pattern on graph paper and then figuring out how big the squares and triangles need to be (with a little, OK a lot, of help from youtube). Tonight I made a sample block and have discovered some of the triangles are too small. Fortunately I hadn't cut out many of those yet and will go back to the drawing board and the cutting board until I get it right. I love this kind of challenge because I know it will all turn out in the end if I keep working and using my brain to figure it out. Keeping fingers crossed doesn't hurt.

@PackerFanInGB I know you've had lots to deal with recently but I hope you've had time to work on your quilt. I think it helps clear the mind of everything and keeps you in the moment when working on a project like that.

You are so brave to tackle something like that! I can't even imagine how to create a crown block! I hope you can share a pic of it when you get that done. I'd love to see it.

I have squared some of the blocks up but then realized I was not consistent in the size (some were 8.5 inches and some were squared to 8 inches...ugh) so I have to go through and trim again! I plan to work on it this weekend. It should be my first quiet weekend in some time now... Thanks for thinking of me and sharing your project! I'm excited to hear more about it. :flowerforyou:
  • nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB I know it can be frustrating when you’re ready for the next step and then realize you have to go backwards awhile😖. I spent a couple or more hours today trying to get my triangle sizes right and think I might have it figured out. Such a process of trial and error and always being 1/4” too short or too long on one side or other. We’ve got this though! Can’t wait to share progress and to see how your quilt is progressing as well!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    It took awhile but I came up with an easier quilt block and am now done with 63 blocks. I put together 2 rows of blocks and two rows of sashing with cornerstones. 7 to go. Once I learned some "rules" and followed them, it went together much faster. Cut accurately, starch your fabric, and make precise 1/4 inch seams. I'm hoping to have the quilt top pieced by the time we go to Iceland in a few weeks. Then I'll start the "how will I quilt this" dilemma that is sure to follow. Anybody else got a project going? @PackerFanInGB How's your quilt coming along?
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,655 Member
    Options
    I have a different type of project which I think I will incorporate into my October habit just to get it done!
    I am an accountant, and I work full time at a gold mine (we do 9 hour days, with a 9-day fortnight). I live in a small town so about 6 years ago I decided to open my own accounting practice from home, operating after hours and weekends/days off, because there are no accountants based here at all. It worked very well, I made a bunch of money and felt good that I could provide a service that was needed in the community!
    The money I made we put towards some home improvements, and paid for our few rounds of IVF to have our baby boy, and allowed me to have some time off work when baby arrived (we don't have paid maternity leave).
    But, now that baby is here and I'm back at work full time, I just don't have the time to put into it anymore, so I am closing my practice down - and my registration expires at the end of October so I have a hard deadline to get all my current jobs completed! But I find myself procrastinating a lot, and now I'm at risk of not getting it all done in time!
    So my project is going to be to complete my business closure, and I'll need to spend a minimum of 15 minutes EVERY DAY to get it done! Wish me luck...
  • nebslp
    Options
    @TwistedSassette You don’t need luck🙂 You have set an achievable goal and have laid out the groundwork to accomplish it. I believe you will find (or make) that extra 15 minutes you need every day. You can do it! And you will do it if you set your mind to it...determination is your word! (OMG, I may have almost added “good luck”😳🙄)!!!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,655 Member
    Options
    Thanks @nebslp! I made a good start yesterday so we'll see how the next few weeks pan out!
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    @TwistedSassette Wishing you luck. Sounds like a solid thoughtful goal.
  • znaoiec
    Options
    I am setting myself up for a project goal of working on a photobook once a week. I produce an annual photo book for my family at the end of the year. It seems like I am getting to it later and later as I never seem to work on it during the year. If I could commit to spend some time once a week, this would be a true improvement. Plus I enjoy once I start working on it.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    It took awhile but I came up with an easier quilt block and am now done with 63 blocks. I put together 2 rows of blocks and two rows of sashing with cornerstones. 7 to go. Once I learned some "rules" and followed them, it went together much faster. Cut accurately, starch your fabric, and make precise 1/4 inch seams. I'm hoping to have the quilt top pieced by the time we go to Iceland in a few weeks. Then I'll start the "how will I quilt this" dilemma that is sure to follow. Anybody else got a project going? @PackerFanInGB How's your quilt coming along?

Doesn't it feel good when you figure out what you need to do so it not only works but flows quicker?! I have tried laying out my blocks a few times now and have started over just as many times. I just need the time and the space to lay them out and determine in what order I want to sew them into rows. I think it will be pretty when I finish, but now I'm frustrated and procrastinating bad! My husband just painted the spare room which will be the guest room, and I need to get busy because I want this quilt to lay across the bottom half of the bed. :smile:
  • nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB Maybe you take a chunk of time and lay out your blocks in different ways and take pictures of each design. That way you could just compare the pictures to help you decide. You could even try taking them in black and white so you could see your color values better. Just some thoughts.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @nebslp I have never thought of that--taking pics, much less taking them in black and white to see the color values better. I'm such a newbie! I'm going to do that tonight!

I struggle with finding something big enough to lay them out on without my dog laying on them! My little dog, Maddie....gotta love her! :heart:
  • nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB Awww❤️ Maddie wants to get in on the fun,too. Or maybe she’s visualizing the finished product and has her own plans for it🤔 💤 🛏
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB Awww❤️ Maddie wants to get in on the fun,too. Or maybe she’s visualizing the finished product and has her own plans for it🤔 💤 🛏

Haha!!! I would not put that past her! She’s a little conniver! 😂
  • znaoiec
    Options
    Checking in. I managed to put in about 30 minutes sorting through pics while visiting my mother. It wasn't much but I felt great doing something that was not work related. :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @znaoiec Sorting through pics is a great project to work on! It’s time-consuming so any amount of Time you can put toward it is progress. 😊