This October I Will...

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    well. we are halfway through the month and I think I'm doing good! only missed a couple of days of tracking. got 10,000 + steps in every day and every day except last weekend exercised 60 min or more. B)

How's it going for you, @birgitwebster, with the logging and stepping?
  • themedalist
    Options
    Cafelelia wrote: »
    I did well this week with my food logging & it continues to be helpful. Wanted to add in 3x per week running but was way too busy. Will try again this week & need to change my thinking that I will run after all the busy stuff is done. It should be top of the list!

@Heidijens123 - Am very sorry for your loss. Take care

Well done, @Cafelelia! Food logging is a great tool. And you're right running or any exercise/activity needs to be at the top of our priority list. What gets prioritized, gets done.
  • themedalist
    Options
    debk0718 wrote: »
    This October, I moved to a new office, and I want to get back on track with workouts.
    My goal is to take the stairs rather than the elevator, and I will also get back to my 4 day a week lunchtime workouts.
    To ensure I can keep this goal, I will pack my gym bag at night and have it ready to take with me in the morning.
    So far so good with my goals. I take the 3 flights of stairs rather than pressing the button for the elevator. Today will actually be my first day going to the gym at lunch, but I have been taking daily walks instead.

How are you doing, @debk0718 with the stair climbing and lunchtime workouts?
  • themedalist
    Options
    And we are thinking about you, @MadisonMolly2017! Hope your arm is healing nicely. I'm sure you can't wait to get full use of it back again!
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    For my weekly check in, I have continued with the food logging and mostly in “real time”, which has helped a lot in staying within my calories goal each day. As mentioned on the Move it Monday thread, I have sciatica so need to stop running for a bit. Am switching to yoga and short walks. Cannot believe October is almost over!
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @77tes Yes, I would say you've got your yoga habit pretty well established. Knowing you as I think I do, I'm sure you won't lose it just because the month is ending.
    @themedalist 77% logging is real progress. It we started with 100%, it would be too easy... it would be nice, but you wouldn't get the same feeling of satisfaction that you get when you had to work for it.
    I've failed to report my hours for a few days so here goes the good and the bad (and one ugly).
    10/26 8/13 hours
    10/27 7/13 hours (excuses...lots of drive time and sitting around at a birthday party)
    10/28 12/13 hous
    I'm thinking about how I want to continue and tweak this goal for November.

You are so right, @nebslp. Any goal that we can easily get to 100%, isn't much of a goal. Besides, perfection has never been required, just progress. My guess is before this month my food logging was about 20 to 30%, so 77% is a big improvement. Bottom line: 95% just wasn't realistic. I already know what my November goal will be, so I'm going to use this experience to decide a more realistic goal for November.

You have done so well with your hourly step goal this month! Not that every day has been 13 out 13 hours. It doesn't need to be. Just by making this your focus and goal for October, I'm sure you are moving more than you were a few months ago. What we focus on gets improved. And it becomes a habit. Well done!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,757 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Good point about not having to be 100% @themedalist ! I think that mentality is one thing that can become a huge obstacle to some people's attempts at fitness.

@nebslp , even on your bad days, you active hours are impressive. I only track 9 hours, and my average is something like 7.4. I do try to get all the hours each day except for my rest day - on my rest day, I try to stay away from the tracking mentality.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    And we are thinking about you, @MadisonMolly2017! Hope your arm is healing nicely. I'm sure you can't wait to get full use of it back again!

@themedalist Thank you so much! PT again Wed morning. He was thrilled with progress the 1st week & my range of motions have increased since then! Pain seems to be getting better! I really can’t wait - you’re right but no Active use of arm until at least Nov 20 (x-rays then)

They want the bone to heal and I guess healing round the device they put in & THEN build up the muscle again. I keep telling myself “Patience, Lil Grasshopper!!”

I have not been able to do art or declutter much & I can’t drive for at least idk 6-10 weeks? But I’m walking like a fiend!!! Nothing wrong with my legs!!

I hope you’re all doing well. I’m focusing on self-care & maintains a positive attitude :)
    & at least maintaining what I’ve lost so far.

Hugs!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, you have such a great attitude. I'm sure it will help your bones to knit. Thinking of you.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 it’s so good to hear you’re on the mend! I know from experience how hard it is to be patient while your body does it’s healing work. You seem to be doing all the right things to get you back to good as new. Lil Grasshoppers don’t sit still for very long, do they?! I’m glad you’re enjoying your walks.
  • nebslp
    Options
    12/13 hours today. It feels good to move more often throughout the day!
  • gojolida
    gojolida Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I love reading about how you all are doing. I agree, @themedalist, if it was easy, it wouldn't be a goal! The point is to stretch ourselves and grow, right?

My two hour timer has been working out really well this week. Also - the other day I was feeling really unmotivated, and it helped me to think of it as 8 blocks of 15 minutes. So thanks for that tip, @77tes (from the Projects thread)

I also started doing Tiny Habits, and came up with a good one:
    "When I am hungry, I'll look for a vegetable to eat first." :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017, you have such a great attitude. I'm sure it will help your bones to knit. Thinking of you.

Thank you @77tes! This has put my attitude to the test but I’m winning :)

Are you doing well?
    @MadisonMolly2017 it’s so good to hear you’re on the mend! I know from experience how hard it is to be patient while your body does it’s healing work. You seem to be doing all the right things to get you back to good as new. Lil Grasshoppers don’t sit still for very long, do they?! I’m glad you’re enjoying your walks.

@nebslp It certainly is especially after the Txplant, but focusing on gratitude is key! No, I really don’t sit still for long anymore! The walks are incredibly uplifting. Thank you so much!

I hope things are going well for you!
  • nebslp
    Options
    gojolida wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I love reading about how you all are doing. I agree, @themedalist, if it was easy, it wouldn't be a goal! The point is to stretch ourselves and grow, right?

My two hour timer has been working out really well this week. Also - the other day I was feeling really unmotivated, and it helped me to think of it as 8 blocks of 15 minutes. So thanks for that tip, @77tes (from the Projects thread)

@gojolida I like your ideas. Even if you don’t have time to get 8 blocks in EVERY day, you will be moving forward on that book. What kind of reward do you give yourself when you do your 15 min block of writing or grab that healthy snack? I’m a chart/graph person, but sometimes a fist pump and “yes, I did it” is enough. I’m interested in what other people find helpful.
  • gojolida
    gojolida Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @gojolida I like your ideas. Even if you don’t have time to get 8 blocks in EVERY day, you will be moving forward on that book. What kind of reward do you give yourself when you do your 15 min block of writing or grab that healthy snack? I’m a chart/graph person, but sometimes a fist pump and “yes, I did it” is enough. I’m interested in what other people find helpful.

Thank you! I feel like the reward is working day by day toward a life I want to live, and that is actually reward enough! And I like crossing things off a to do list :)
    A chart / graph could be a really helpful reminder of the goals i'm working toward, too- Is there a program or spreadsheet you use?
  • 77tes
    Options

Thanks for the inspiration about the veggies, @gojolida , I was hungry this morning, but ate celery and carrots instead of my sandwich.
  • nebslp
    Options

Thank you! I feel like the reward is working day by day toward a life I want to live, and that is actually reward enough! And I like crossing things off a to do list :)
    A chart / graph could be a really helpful reminder of the goals i'm working toward, too- Is there a program or spreadsheet you use?

I'd be rich if I got a nickel for every chart I've ever created for myself! Thanks for asking.

I started using the app HabitBull a little over a month ago and use it for everything I want to accomplish, and I mean everything!!! I keep track of my 8/13 hours of steps goal, bird studies, learning French, photography, deep cleaning, working out, needlework, free motion quilting, and the list goes on to include about 15 things. Every evening I go through the list and mark the ones I did that day and usually write a note about it. I have found it to be a really good way to remind and motivate myself to do the things I want to accomplish (someday, if not today)! And it only takes a couple of minutes.

I also have a notebook that I use with a couple of charts that I've created for my FitBit information. In one section I use the weekly report to track steps, floors, miles, active minutes, hours of activity, and heart rate. Once a week I use those numbers to compare and monitor progress. There's another section in my notebook that I started in Sept that tracks my active and stationary time, and that includes daily percentage of each, and also my number of active and stationary minutes, my longest stationary period that day, and 30 day average. I chart that daily and it takes less than a minute or two.

These are the most useful tools I've ever used, but maybe it's just that I'm more committed to changing my habits now. Or maybe seeing my goals and results daily is really motivating. Whatever it is, it's working!
  • nebslp
    Options
    13/13 hours today.
  • themedalist
    Options

I'd be rich if I got a nickel for every chart I've ever created for myself! Thanks for asking.

I started using the app HabitBull a little over a month ago and use it for everything I want to accomplish, and I mean everything!!! I keep track of my 8/13 hours of steps goal, bird studies, learning French, photography, deep cleaning, working out, needlework, free motion quilting, and the list goes on to include about 15 things. Every evening I go through the list and mark the ones I did that day and usually write a note about it. I have found it to be a really good way to remind and motivate myself to do the things I want to accomplish (someday, if not today)! And it only takes a couple of minutes.

I also have a notebook that I use with a couple of charts that I've created for my FitBit information. In one section I use the weekly report to track steps, floors, miles, active minutes, hours of activity, and heart rate. Once a week I use those numbers to compare and monitor progress. There's another section in my notebook that I started in Sept that tracks my active and stationary time, and that includes daily percentage of each, and also my number of active and stationary minutes, my longest stationary period that day, and 30 day average. I chart that daily and it takes less than a minute or two.

These are the most useful tools I've ever used, but maybe it's just that I'm more committed to changing my habits now. Or maybe seeing my goals and results daily is really motivating. Whatever it is, it's working!

This is wonderful, @nebslp. Great goals, a terrific plan for achieving those goals, and a well thought out system for tracking your progress. Well done! You are finishing the month strong!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp and @gojolida , thanks for another great inspiration. I've got 50 essays that I need to grade and provide feedback on by next week. And ,of course, I still have to teach, grade smaller assignments, and do all the other things in my life like exercise and cook. So I've broken down the task to 10 essays per day. I'll try to do them in 15 minute chunks, and I made myself a star chart. Every essay I finish grading, I give myself a star. Wish me luck! I already have 1 star this morning, and it is only 8:20, and I also graded over 100 smaller assignments as well.