This October I Will...

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    @Nebslp
    I’m going to use your stand in the room one minute tiny habit!! Thank you!!

Hope the blues evaporate soon if they haven’t already!!!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    12/13 hours
  • gojolida
    gojolida Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    it's late to be making a monthly commitment, but i feel i've lost my ability to stay "in the zone". i'd like to work on my focus!
    so for the rest of this month, i am going to stay focused on one task for two hours each day -- whether it's a work project or cleaning or anything.

has there been a challenge like that before here?
    Today i set a timer and worked on a project for two hours straight. i checked the clock a lot, but I probably got as much done as would normally take me a whole day or even two.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @gojolida Its never too late to get started... or restart. It starts with a plan and it sounds like you have a good one. I’m glad you’re here!
  • nebslp
    Options
    One more thing @gojolida We have had challenges involving projects. I think you’re going to like November, (right, @themedalist ?)! Stayed tuned🙂
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My shoulder has still been bothering me so I've only made it to the step class this week but monday I went to the gym and did lower body strength training and eliptical and I have been on my exercise bike every day for an hour. I'm hoping this over week long rest will help my shoulder feel better so I can get back to classes next week, I miss going.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    One more thing @gojolida We have had challenges involving projects. I think you’re going to like November, (right, @themedalist ?)! Stayed tuned🙂

Right you are, @nebslp! We have two challenges that come to mind, @gojolida. One is a seasonal DeclutterFest coming up in November. We really get into decluttering around here!

The second is an open-ended, ongoing challenge where we log the progress we are making on projects that we've been meaning to get to, but just haven't yet. You know the kind of projects that are stressful and often time-consuming and therefore easy to put off? That's what we work on and it's a space to update the group and get support for these kinds of projects.

The link to the Projects Page challenge is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10688124/the-projects-page
  • nebslp
    Options
    13/13 hours today
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have been MIA. Working on my yard has kept me busy. Well done everyone.
  • gojolida
    Options
    13/13 hours today
    What is this fraction regarding?

The Projects challenge sounds awesome, @themedalist! I'm so happy I'm here. I also signed up for the Tiny Habits week long coach. I really want to choose my tiny habits well - what are some that you all are doing?

• themedalist
    edited October 2018
    Options
    gojolida wrote: »
    13/13 hours today
    What is this fraction regarding?

The Projects challenge sounds awesome, @themedalist! I'm so happy I'm here. I also signed up for the Tiny Habits week long coach. I really want to choose my tiny habits well - what are some that you all are doing?

We are very glad you are here too, @gojolida! The 13 out of 13 that @nebslp mentioned refers to getting at least 250 steps in every hour for 13 hours in the day. Fitbit can buzz people a reminder every hour to get those steps in and @nebslp has done just that. A perfect score!

As far as Tiny Habits go, it's really a personal choice. I would suggest finding a tiny habit that's aligned with your larger healthy goals. Say, for example, you want to eat more fruits and vegetables. A tiny habit might be to eat one baby carrot at lunchtime each day. I know it sounds ridiculously small, but that's the whole point. For the most part, the goals and aspiring habits we have to achieve our goals fail because we are too ambitious and try to make too big a change initially. Our desire to eat more fruits and veggies becomes "I'll eat nothing but veggies for lunch and dinner" and that's not sustainable. The goal of Tiny Habits ("tiny" is defined as something you can do in about 30 seconds or so) is to get people practicing a miniaturized version of a larger habit they'd like to have. A habit so small that you don't need motivation or willpower to do it. Eating a single baby carrot each day becomes a habit and a building block for eating a few more carrots and then a few more veggies each day. Pretty soon you are well on your way to eating a big 'ole daily salad!

We need to walk before we can run, dance (@77tes ), golf (@PinkyPan1 ), or tame an uncooperative yard (@prgirl39mfp ) That's just as true in habit formation. Start small, get into the routine, and then scale up.

• nebslp
    Options
    gojolida wrote: »
    13/13 hours today
    What is this fraction
    @gojolida Hi! Thanks for asking. My October goal is to move more, so to measure that I use my Fitbit to keep track of how many hours I get 250 steps in. Because my numbers were so low in previous months, I set my goal to get 8 out of 13 hours every day in October. Using Fitbit reports from my emails, I made a chart of about 5 things the Fitbit tracks starting the first week in April. I was unaware that my reading for hours, watching several Netflix episodes back to back, sitting at the sewing machine, or sitting in my chair embroidering added up to a lot of stationary hours. I was busy, but I wasn’t moving much. Seeing my numbers on paper helped increase my awareness and I decided to change them. Reporting them here helps keep me accountable. It’s working!
  • gojolida
    Options
    all i have to say is -- you guys rock!

@nebslp i get those alerts on my fitbit and i've kind of gotten used to ignoring them. i'm going to see if i can play along!

also: great to know, @themedalist ! i'm still thinking about what my larger goals are, but i know there are some habits i want to get in the practice of personally (like drawing in my sketchbook) so maybe that's a good place to start!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,812 Member
    Options
    Well, I have now completed a yoga workout every day since September 2. I guess I should feel like I have the habit established.
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Well, I have now completed a yoga workout every day since September 2. I guess I should feel like I have the habit established.

That is terrific, @77tes! I’d say you’ve got yourself a new habit!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I've been thinking about this and I know what I'm going to work on: my food diary and logging my meals. For many years, I consistently logged my food. It helped me lose weight and then stay at maintenance. Then I moved away from logging every day and it hasn't been good. I eat better and can track nutrients better if I log my meals. So, that's what I'll be doing this month!

This October I will create a robust MFP food diary!
    The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal: Log 3 meals a day (and snacks if eaten)
    How often? As often as I eat!
    What help do you need from us? This month, I don't think I need much help besides a bit of support. After 7 years on MFP, I’ve got this!
    What does success look like to you at the end of October? At least 95% of the meals I've eaten this month will be logged in my food diary.

Since we’re almost at the end of October I thought I’d review my progress. I’ve logged most of the meals that I eaten this month which is a huge improvement over past months, but I’m nowhere near 95%. I’ve logged 77% of my meals this month, and I’ll take that! It’s still real progress over where I’ve been and it’s something I can build on.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes Yes, I would say you've got your yoga habit pretty well established. Knowing you as I think I do, I'm sure you won't lose it just because the month is ending.
    @themedalist 77% logging is real progress. It we started with 100%, it would be too easy... it would be nice, but you wouldn't get the same feeling of satisfaction that you get when you had to work for it.
    I've failed to report my hours for a few days so here goes the good and the bad (and one ugly).
    10/26 8/13 hours
    10/27 7/13 hours (excuses...lots of drive time and sitting around at a birthday party)
    10/28 12/13 hous
    I'm thinking about how I want to continue and tweak this goal for November.
  • themedalist
    Options
    My shoulder has still been bothering me so I've only made it to the step class this week but monday I went to the gym and did lower body strength training and eliptical and I have been on my exercise bike every day for an hour. I'm hoping this over week long rest will help my shoulder feel better so I can get back to classes next week, I miss going.

How is your shoulder feeling, @Heidijens?
  • themedalist
    Options
    mikaila96 wrote: »
    Well the hitting the gym when I’m on campus thing has been a total bust so far because the previously mentioned aggravated hip injury upgrades to full blown back spasms for a week. Feeling somewhat better now, but thinking I’ll just stick to daily yoga until I’m back to baseline pain!

And how are you doing, @mikaila96? Is the daily yoga helping you?