Replies

• Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    November 20
    Exercised. No
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
    My time was taken up after work with arrangements for shifting my mother to a new residence after her hip surgery.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! Today I'm looking for weights from: @jm216
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    November 20
    Exercised?: Yes (3km in 24mins - hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Work from home. Hot, humid day for this time of year here.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    November 20
    Exercised?: Yes (3km in 24mins - hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Work from home. Hot, humid day for this time of year here.

Welcome back, @craigo3154 -- glad to hear the competitions went so well! BTW, how did your wife's 48 hour fast go? I sometimes end up fasting accidentally for 18 hours or so, but I can't imagine getting to 48 too easily. I'm curious whether she found it easier as time went on, and whether it's something she'll try again.
  • LesIckaBod
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ugh, people, I've got emotional problems. A family member called me out of the blue a couple weeks ago to air grievances about something I said a couple months ago - something that was not intended to be malicious, but I'll go so far as to say it was careless of me. And since then, this family member has texted to invite my family to Christmas dinner when we'll be in the area, but needs to know now if we can be there for planning purposes. When I couldn't say for sure "yes" yet, this person took offense, telling me they have "trust issues" with me.

There's more, but maybe it doesn't have to be shared here. Anyway, I didn't think I was the type to have estranged family, and yet, I don't see a better solution here than to have minimal contact. How can I be in contact, if whatever I say, do, or how my resting B face looks is perceived as malicious? And yet, choosing not to be in contact will be perceived as malicious, too.

Still reading? Got any good advice for me?
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Pw 138 cw 139.5 ahh, going the wrong way in November.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Welcome back, @craigo3154 -- glad to hear the competitions went so well! BTW, how did your wife's 48 hour fast go? I sometimes end up fasting accidentally for 18 hours or so, but I can't imagine getting to 48 too easily. I'm curious whether she found it easier as time went on, and whether it's something she'll try again.
    @LesIckaBod. Wife's fast went very well. She has done two 48 hour fasts so far (dinner one night, nothing next day, dinner following day). She is attempting to build up to longer and longer fasts. This is until desired blood glucose and weight are achieved. This is all with doctors consent.

It was difficult and she did get a little hungry. However, usually after some water and a little time it would pass. Apparently the longer you go, the easier it becomes.

She was already doing intermittent fasting of 16:8, and most days only having one meal a day.

During a fast she takes regular blood sugar readings (3 times a day - morning, noon, night). This is to ensure no hypo type episodes.

The longer fasts are to encourage autophagy and help further with insulin sensitivity and skin shrinkage. This follows a lot of the work from Dr Jason Fung. (Author: "The Obesity Code", "The Diabetes Code").

So far she has gone from 3 oral diabetes medications + insulin to 2 oral diabeties medications and no insulin. Her morning blood sugar readings are consistently in the low 5's (Australia measures mmol/L. 5.6 mmol/L = 100 mg/dL. Low 5's is below pre-diabetic level). When consistently in the 4's (for 2 weeks or more), she has permission to drop another oral medication.

Weight wise, she has already lost over 50lbs in 3 months. She has finally hit the overweight BMI range (<30), and would like to get to the normal range (<25).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (63.8kg) 140.7
    Todays Weight: (63.5kg) 140.0

Weight has been all over the place this week. As high as 64.2 (141.4) and as low as 62.2 (137.1). Was 62.8 yesterday. This is while I've been pretty consistent in my eating. Could be the change in weather affecting my burn rate.

I have made a habit of being honest with myself. I do not mis-report or mis-record readings even if I think they are wrong or I don't like them (I do re-measure to ensure it is not a once-off scale thing, but 2 of the same means thats what I record). It is all data. It is not an indicator of my self worth, value, attractiveness, etc.... It's just a measurement of my body's physical mass in the earths gravitational field that morning.

As all readings are inside my desired range and my size does not seem to be changing, I am not concerned. I'll just stick to my habits and what I know and it will all even out.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Ugh, people, I've got emotional problems. A family member called me out of the blue a couple weeks ago to air grievances about something I said a couple months ago - something that was not intended to be malicious, but I'll go so far as to say it was careless of me. And since then, this family member has texted to invite my family to Christmas dinner when we'll be in the area, but needs to know now if we can be there for planning purposes. When I couldn't say for sure "yes" yet, this person took offense, telling me they have "trust issues" with me.

There's more, but maybe it doesn't have to be shared here. Anyway, I didn't think I was the type to have estranged family, and yet, I don't see a better solution here than to have minimal contact. How can I be in contact, if whatever I say, do, or how my resting B face looks is perceived as malicious? And yet, choosing not to be in contact will be perceived as malicious, too.

@LesIckaBod. Starting from the top.

1) Misunderstandings in communications happen. Communication of message as well as intent can often get mis-interpreted. This is dependent on the emotional state of both the message giver and the message receiver at the time of the message. All that can be done from this is try address the mis-understanding and move on.

2) If you could not say yes, or no, to the Christmas invite at the time the invitation was sent (and you communicated this to the invitation giver, as well as your reasons), then their perception of you is "THEIR" problem, not yours. It does not make you any less of a person (or family member) for not being able to answer their invitation on the spot (Christmas is over a month away).

3) Telling you they have "trust issues" is a form of emotional blackmail and an attempt at manipulation. It puts you in a "no win" situation. If you now simply accept the invitation, they win (you lose). If you stay silent or simply reject the invitation, they win (perception validated - you still lose). The only way I see out of the trap is twofold: a) If you can (and want to) go, call the family member (no texting) and explain that my situation has resolved and I would be delighted to accept the offer. b) If you cannot (or do not want to) go, call the family member (no texting) and explain that due to other commitments or circumstances regretfully, you are unable to attend.

In either case, apologise for any mis-communication or mis-interpretation of previous messages (not you are taking back what is said, merely acknowledging that it was perceived different from intent). Also emphasise that you are regretful of any "trust issue", would like to know more as to how you can help resolve this in the future (this non-defensive technique opens the door for further communication and allows a path for future growth).

This stems from a technique for dealing with others anger. The technique is to find a grain of truth in the criticism and agree with it. This usually takes the "wind out the sails" of the angry person and opens them up to allow communication. When you defend yourself, their anger intensifies. The agreement can be a as simple as "I can see how you would think that .... . Can you be more specific about ..." (you pick the most outrageous or un-qualifiable statement they have made. eg. To take the "trust issue". ("I can see how you may have a trust issue with me. Can you be more specific about what the trust issue is so we can work on helping resolve it?")

Hope this helps.
  • 12Sarah2015
    Options

How close is the family member to you? Sister, in law, aunty etc. I personally would go to Christmas as planned. You only have one family and some communication I think is better than none. Saying that my grandma cut us off from talking to her, very sad, but I feel good thinking I did my best to keep the relationship going as long as I did.
  • 12Sarah2015
    Options
    Saw GP today. Weight is in the average range (I measured my height wrong!) but waist circumference is 9cm too big. So I can now tell my husband I need to pay for exercise.. hopefully the pool or gym soon. (so annoying with the weather not doing incidental walking, we used to be average weight last year, and both husband and I have put on weight since being in the tropics).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Saw GP today. Weight is in the average range (I measured my height wrong!) but waist circumference is 9cm too big. So I can now tell my husband I need to pay for exercise.. hopefully the pool or gym soon. (so annoying with the weather not doing incidental walking, we used to be average weight last year, and both husband and I have put on weight since being in the tropics).

@12Sarah2015. Curious about the waist circumference being too big if in the normal weight range. 9cm is a lot. It's asking you to lose over 1/2 an inch (1.25cm) from all sides (circumference = 2 x pi x radius).

Rule of thumb is supposed to be waist circumference should be less than 1/2 height. This is to ensure the visceral fat (fat around the core organs) is not excessive.

What is your height? What is your waist circumference?

Quickly running the numbers, if you are around BMI 25 (top of normal range), then you are probably near 5"2 (160cm). If your waist is 89cm (9cm too big), then 9cm is about 12 lbs (or 8% of your bodyweight). That is quite a bit to move.

Does this sound about right?

You do not need a pool or gym to lose size or weight. It's usually more monitoring your eating, keeping in a calorie deficit and just getting some regular activity (something you enjoy and can continue doing without it feeling like a chore). If you can do this, then usually the size and weight works itself out (at which point you go back to normal calorie intake). This is the simplified version, but essentially this is how it works.

Remember, you cannot out-exercise a bad diet.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    November 21
    Exercised. Yes
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
  • LesIckaBod
    Options

@LesIckaBod. Starting from the top.

1) Misunderstandings in communications happen. Communication of message as well as intent can often get mis-interpreted. This is dependent on the emotional state of both the message giver and the message receiver at the time of the message. All that can be done from this is try address the mis-understanding and move on.

This stems from a technique for dealing with others anger. The technique is to find a grain of truth in the criticism and agree with it. This usually takes the "wind out the sails" of the angry person and opens them up to allow communication. ...

Hope this helps.

Thanks @craigo3154. Your take on this is the same as mine. We had a long phone call after the original airing of grievances, and I took the non-defensive route, apologizing for misinterpretations of whatever I said months ago that caused harm. I thought we were ok.

Just feeling all of a sudden that someone who I've always loved and admired is a stranger to me, and I have to treat this person like a stranger back to avoid saying anything that would harm them -- and yet, reducing the familiarity of our lifelong contact seems like its own kind of harm.

But who knows, "lifelong contact" may be inaccurate. This person said, in the original phone call about their grievances, that they had "cut me out of their life" for years in the past. Here's the thing: I never realized that. It would have happened around the time I graduated from college, got married, moved a few times across states, had a few different jobs... I knew we didn't communicate much then, but in that self-centered time of life I didn't think they were intentionally trying not to have contact with me. I feel like this person has just decided to tell me a whole past history I've lived through is entirely different than what I first thought.

Sorry for the long personal reflection, folks. We all know overeating has an emotional component, and yeah, I might have had some bonus carbs in the last couple of days.

Just, Gutbusters, thank you all for letting this be a place I could write some thoughts. Saying this here has helped me, and helped me keep those bonus carbs to a manageable amount.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    It's Wednesday, Week 3! Today I'm looking for weights from:
    @12sarah2015 - gotcha already!
    @24blfn
    @bendiz_
    @caitlynns727
    @Edising
    @hooversgurl
    @inshapeCK
  • LesIckaBod
    Options

How close is the family member to you? Sister, in law, aunty etc. I personally would go to Christmas as planned. You only have one family and some communication I think is better than none. Saying that my grandma cut us off from talking to her, very sad, but I feel good thinking I did my best to keep the relationship going as long as I did.

Thanks for the thoughts, @12Sarah2015 . It sounds like you went through a difficult time to with your grandma. I don't want to not talk to this person, I just have begun to feel like I can't say anything without being seen as malicious, so it makes me afraid to talk.

The person is very close. I was grateful for the invitation and wanted the opportunity to show up to Christmas but couldn't commit to being there right at dinner, and that's what really upset the person.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @LesIckaBod. Wife's fast went very well. She has done two 48 hour fasts so far (dinner one night, nothing next day, dinner following day). She is attempting to build up to longer and longer fasts. This is until desired blood glucose and weight are achieved. This is all with doctors consent.

It was difficult and she did get a little hungry. However, usually after some water and a little time it would pass. Apparently the longer you go, the easier it becomes.

She was already doing intermittent fasting of 16:8, and most days only having one meal a day.

During a fast she takes regular blood sugar readings (3 times a day - morning, noon, night). This is to ensure no hypo type episodes.

The longer fasts are to encourage autophagy and help further with insulin sensitivity and skin shrinkage. This follows a lot of the work from Dr Jason Fung. (Author: "The Obesity Code", "The Diabetes Code").

So far she has gone from 3 oral diabetes medications + insulin to 2 oral diabeties medications and no insulin. Her morning blood sugar readings are consistently in the low 5's (Australia measures mmol/L. 5.6 mmol/L = 100 mg/dL. Low 5's is below pre-diabetic level). When consistently in the 4's (for 2 weeks or more), she has permission to drop another oral medication.

Weight wise, she has already lost over 50lbs in 3 months. She has finally hit the overweight BMI range (<30), and would like to get to the normal range (<25).

@craigo3154 What great news! It must feel incredible to be dropping the meds and the weight. As you said, "the longer you go, the easier it becomes." It seems true not just about fasting, but about all the changed habits for weight loss. (I guess that's the thing about habits - they are easy to keep, once you have them!)

Anyway, that's impressive success!
This discussion has been closed.