TEAM WAISTAWAYS JANUARY 2019 TEAM CHAT

Options

Replies

• Astrue
    Astrue Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a super last minute join. I just started using MFP in earnest this past week. I am 36, mom to two young boys and I have a party time home bakery business where I make custom desserts (not great for my willpower, but definitely my passion). I am also a recovering lawyer (I quit two years ago for a variety of complicated reasons, but I loved the law and transitioning to "stay at home mom" has been a difficult journey for me.)

I have a goal this year of getting back to when I was at my fittest about 4 years ago. I also have some minor low back issues I need to keep in check. My goals are to get back to lifting regularly, commit to my daily yoga practice (for my back and my mood), and be mindful of my ratio of macro nutrients.

I train jiu jitsu twice a week and am looking forward to earning my blue belt within the next couple of months.

I am not quite 1/4 of the way through reading the posts from when this thread opened up, but I am catching up. Very nice to meet you all!
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The Week 2 Group Challenge is brought to you by the Mission Slimpossibles! We are excited about the discussion and the sharing of ideas this will hopefully create.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10717170/team-mission-slimpossibles-week-2-group-challenge#latest
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,087 Member
    Options
    Hello

Weigh in day Sunday
    Current weight 179.1 pounds
    Starting weight 179 pounds.

Saw my doctor again today, the diagnosis is frozen shoulder. Time for physio. I’ll do my best not to gain weight during my recovery. Won’t be able to do too much aerobic for a while :(

POSTED! I know this is a discouraging time, but you can hopefully put those legs to good use while keeping the shoulder quiet. Don't let it stop you completely! You've got this.
  • jugar
    Options
    GOOD MORNING TEAM WAIST AWAYS
    PLEASE REACH OUT TO THESE 2 NEW CHALLENGER NOW ON YOUR TEAM
    THEY HAVE INPUTTED ON YOUR SPREADSHEET AND RTG FOR WEEK 2

@Marieyeyeam
    @Astrue
    Welcome! Jump right in and ask questions, let us know a bit about you, brag about your great days, and get help with the tough ones. This is a great team, and I hope you will enjoy!

Liselyn
  • jugar
    Options
    Bear479 wrote: »
    Actually got a run in outside. 5 miles in the rain but I had to get away from my kids they were making me crazy. Winter in Germany is brutal day after day after day of rain. Not real rain just wet and drizzle. It doesnt get very cold here normally above freezing but the rain and drizzle is never ending. I really look forward to summer!!

THIS! I lived in The Netherlands for 18 months and it sounds terribly familiar. And getting away from the kids who are making you crazy. There has to be one of those great words for escape+run+miserable weather+kind of angry+really proud! German can do this well. You did the right thing, whatever it is called. B)
  • jugar
    Options
    ltfitz89 wrote: »
    This group is a God-send! Reading everyone's posts and weekly (and daily) successes is so motivating! My weeks are super busy this time of year preparing my students for the End of Course test we will be taking on Friday and wrapping up the semester/starting the new semester so I apologize if I don't respond/post in this chat, but I do try to make time Sunday mornings to catch up and read everyone's posts.

Mini-success for the weekend - Hubby and I went out to Outback for their 4 course dinner special. I ate my soup and salad and took my whole dinner and desert home. Got on the scale this morning (I weigh everyday) and I was down 1.1lbs since Friday! Hoping I can push for another pound or pound and a half between now and Friday!

Happy Sunday Y'all! Good luck to everyone in the upcoming week & may the strength to walk the extra mile be with you!

Wow - you are on a roll! And not eating them!
  • Bear479
    Bear479 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Bear479 wrote: »
    Actually got a run in outside. 5 miles in the rain but I had to get away from my kids they were making me crazy. Winter in Germany is brutal day after day after day of rain. Not real rain just wet and drizzle. It doesnt get very cold here normally above freezing but the rain and drizzle is never ending. I really look forward to summer!!

THIS! I lived in The Netherlands for 18 months and it sounds terribly familiar. And getting away from the kids who are making you crazy. There has to be one of those great words for escape+run+miserable weather+kind of angry+really proud! German can do this well. You did the right thing, whatever it is called. B)

We are about an hour from the Netherlands so same weather wise. I love the Netherlands but the weather is terrible!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Jan110144
    Weigh in week 2
    Weigh in day Monday
    Previous week 139
    Current week 138

• Astrue
    Options
    Astrue
    Weigh in week 2
    Weigh in day Monday
    Previous week 160
    Current week 155.4
  • jugar
    Options
    Week 2 is off to an amazing start ---

@jan110144
    @Astrue

Your losses are POSTED on the spreadsheet. You are both fabulous, and have earned every good feeling, every congratulation, and you have boasting rights. Go boast!

Remaining Monday people - send in your updates, thanks!
    @cccallahan
    @evangsimmons170
    @gabi_texanmom
    @MoStacy
    @tdrjustus3
  • cccallahan
    cccallahan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Username: cccallahan
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 286.6
    Todays Weight: 282.2
  • cccallahan
    cccallahan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Week 2 is off to an amazing start ---

@jan110144
    @Astrue

Your losses are POSTED on the spreadsheet. You are both fabulous, and have earned every good feeling, every congratulation, and you have boasting rights. Go boast!

Remaining Monday people - send in your updates, thanks!
    @cccallahan
    @evangsimmons170
    @gabi_texanmom
    @MoStacy
    @tdrjustus3

Check my week 1 weight on the spreadsheet. Seems to be a typo!

• jugar
    Options
    cccallahan wrote: »
    Username: cccallahan

POSTED! and the terrible typo FIXED - thanks for catching that, although I probably would have noticed when this week you would have lost 14 pounds! You're amazing, but hopefully not doing harm by losing too fast :#
  • jan110144
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @Astrue
    Weigh in week 2
    Weigh in day Monday
    Previous week 160
    Current week 155.4

@cccallahan

WOW!!! Congrats!
  • jan110144
    Options
    "Cheat Days"

This topic came up in another forum and I thought it might be worth discussing here.

My thoughts ... I really don't like the concept of 'cheat' days. I think it sends a very wrong message to myself and that the messages I tell myself
    are VERY important.

Does this mean that I am never over plan with my eating? Absolutely NOT!! I have planned "pass" days (Christmas, other holidays, for example). I also have days when I know that I will not be able to control my environment and take intentional pass days. In both of these kinds of situations I do try to track (as best as I can estimate) and I also try to make very intentional decisions about what I am going to eat. (e.g., I will have the dressing, and mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and all the other fixins, but I will only have one modest serving of each). Or going into an uncontrollable enviornment, I simply tell myself I will make the best choices possible.

Then ... there is the occasional ugly binge day. It is important to me that I not call this a 'cheat' day, because there is nothing intentional about it. It is a day where I have totally lost the ability to control my behavior. In these instances it is important to me to be accepting of myself but also take the time to try to figure out what went wrong. What I typically find is that I have let my self get too hungry or too tired or there is something else going on in my life that it upsetting to me. Once I identify what is/was going on, I become empowered to reduce the chance (or at least the frequency) of this recurring in the future.

I don't expect myself to be perfect (good thing!) But, it is also important that I stay honest with myself. I guess the problem I have with 'cheat' days is that, cognitively, it suggests a dishonesty that I can't afford if I want this lifestyle change to be permanent.

Your thoughts?
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    “What doesn’t challenge us doesn’t change us” - Chaitanya Charan (?)

I want to challenge myself a lot more physically by switching up my exercise choices and intensity, but I need some sport-nutrition guidance before I will feel comfortable doing so.

What’s holding me back is almost the opposite from what many on MFP are looking for … I need a list of suggested high (but quality) calorie / low bulk foods that I can add to my over-all daily intake arsenal while eating back a higher number of exercise calories.

Details are inside the spoiler to save space.
    There is nothing physical in terms of stamina, endurance or injury to hold me back. However, I am also 60 yrs old, short (5’3”), work at a sedentary desk job, have reached practically-normal-BMI-zone for my height, and am currently only assigned 1250 net calories per day for a target 0.5 lb per week rate of loss.

If it makes any difference, a US Navy formula calculation site that works from measurements puts my BF% at ~36% (not exactly surprising given the typical “now-senior female who defined exercise as = cardio all her life” bias and the fact that I have never even known how to find out a ball-park BF% measure before). That’s the main driver behind my wanting to re-vamp my exercise intensity and activity choices.

I find the quantities I already eat are perfectly satisfying for my current activity level, while consistently respecting my nutritional breakdown display in my Food Diary. FYI, I took 20 months to shed 40 pounds, and have been committed to the “find a healthy, maintainable lifestyle” mindset right from the start.

My current MFP settings leave VERY little room to maneuver between exercise calories not eaten back to re-raise my Net Calories for the day vs regularly hitting an unhealthy Net Calorie level of 1100 (or significantly less). This (as mentioned at the start) is the factor behind the mental resistance holding me back.

My major macro % split (overall carb vs fat vs protein) is currently left at the MFP default breakdown. I have no specific medical-related proportions that I am advised to adhere to.

I also have no specific objection to perhaps changing the macro percentages, but would like to be confident that the re-balance is following sound sport-nutrition practice.

My family was never “sporty”, so this is not the kind of information I might have learned young … nor do I have family / friends / acquaintances I could ask that are into either regular strength training or race-competition training. So I haven’t a clue of where to even begin to look for this information, or how to judge if it is “actually sound” vs “popular press misrepresented” information.

Any suggestions or guidance?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    "Cheat Days"

This topic came up in another forum and I thought it might be worth discussing here ....
    Your thoughts?

I'll be back about this ....
  • Astrue
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »

I want to challenge myself a lot more physically by switching up my exercise choices and intensity, but I need some sport-nutrition guidance before I will feel comfortable doing so.

What’s holding me back is almost the opposite from what many on MFP are looking for … I need a list of suggested high (but quality) calorie / low bulk foods that I can add to my over-all daily intake arsenal while eating back a higher number of exercise calories.

There is nothing physical in terms of stamina, endurance or injury to hold me back. However, I am also 60 yrs old, short (5’3”), work at a sedentary desk job, have reached practically-normal-BMI-zone for my height, and am currently only assigned 1250 net calories per day for a target 0.5 lb per week rate of loss.

If it makes any difference, a US Navy formula calculation site that works from measurements puts my BF% at ~36% (not exactly surprising given the typical “now-senior female who defined exercise as = cardio all her life” bias and the fact that I have never even known how to find out a ball-park BF% measure before). That’s the main driver behind my wanting to re-vamp my exercise intensity and activity choices.

I find the quantities I already eat are perfectly satisfying for my current activity level, while consistently respecting my nutritional breakdown display in my Food Diary. FYI, I took 20 months to shed 40 pounds, and have been committed to the “find a healthy, maintainable lifestyle” mindset right from the start.

My current MFP settings leave VERY little room to maneuver between exercise calories not eaten back to re-raise my Net Calories for the day vs regularly hitting an unhealthy Net Calorie level of 1100 (or significantly less). This (as mentioned at the start) is the factor behind the mental resistance holding me back.

My major macro % split (overall carb vs fat vs protein) is currently left at the MFP default breakdown. I have no specific medical-related proportions that I am advised to adhere to.

I also have no specific objection to perhaps changing the macro percentages, but would like to be confident that the re-balance is following sound sport-nutrition practice.

My family was never “sporty”, so this is not the kind of information I might have learned young … nor do I have family / friends / acquaintances I could ask that are into either regular strength training or race-competition training. So I haven’t a clue of where to even begin to look for this information, or how to judge if it is “actually sound” vs “popular press misrepresented” information.

Nutrition: you just need to increase your protein intake once you start strength training. Lean meats (there is a reason bodybuilders eat so much chicken breast and eggs). A good protein powder can help if you are into smoothies. Lentils. Quinoa. Chickpeas. Beans.

What are you going to be doing for strength training?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Astrue wrote: »

Nutrition: you just need to increase your protein intake once you start strength training. Lean meats (there is a reason bodybuilders eat so much chicken breast and eggs). A good protein powder can help if you are into smoothies. Lentils. Quinoa. Chickpeas. Beans.

Should I be upping the overall protein % in my MFP macro display ? If so, to about how-much? Do I remove it from carbs or fat, or re-balance all three while still remaining at 1250 total across all categories?

That I don't know yet .... I DO want to add a degree of resistance training, but am just starting to explore that (only got the BF% number late last week)

At the same time, needing less exploration, there is also the "upping calories burned via cardio time and intensity on my stationary bike" too. I can use the built-in programs to move away from not-so challenging steady-state jogging on my mini-trampoline. I can easily keep up that for well over 90 minutes at a stretch if my attention is occupied by a dvd. The main reasons I don't are: (a) the time factor as I am not retired yet; (b) I haven't figured out how to "read while I jog"; and (c) the number of calories burned that I would have to somehow eat back to keep the Net from being continually over-low.

As a measure of pace, I can easily do 6500=>10,000 steps or more in ~ 45=>70 minutes non-stop, 7 days a week (and have no way to track how many more NEAT steps I also do in the course of an average day)

As I mentioned - the amounts of what I already eat feels "plenty sufficient", so how do I cover getting even MORE (quality) calories in without feeling like I am force-feeding myself?

I have limited at-home resistance options (beyond body-weight) but since you asked the question, maybe you can provide guidance on a different question of mine ....

Once I get to the point where 20 lbs per hand doesn't feel "so heavy" to me any more and I am ready to lift even more, would "layering in" progressively higher-resistance bands be a way to increase "dumbbell weight" without having to invest in or store more lumps of shaped metal? For a variety of reasons, I won't be joining a gym anytime soon so won't have access to more comprehensive racks of dumbbells or resistance machines just at the moment.
  • Astrue
    Options
    Astrue wrote: »

Should I be upping the overall protein % in my MFP macro display ? If so, to about how-much? Do I remove it from carbs or fat, or re-balance all three while still remaining at 1250 total across all categories?

That I don't know yet .... I DO want to add a degree of resistance training, but am just starting to explore that (only got the BF% number late last week)

At the same time, needing less exploration, there is also the "upping calories burned via cardio time and intensity on my stationary bike" too. I can use the built-in programs to move away from not-so challenging steady-state jogging on my mini-trampoline. I can easily keep up that for well over 90 minutes at a stretch if my attention is occupied by a dvd. The main reasons I don't are: (a) the time factor as I am not retired yet; (b) I haven't figured out how to "read while I jog"; and (c) the number of calories burned that I would have to somehow eat back to keep the Net from being continually over-low.

As a measure of pace, I can easily do 6500=>10,000 steps or more in ~ 45=>70 minutes non-stop, 7 days a week (and have no way to track how many more NEAT steps I also do in the course of an average day)

As I mentioned - the amounts of what I already eat feels "plenty sufficient", so how do I cover getting even MORE (quality) calories in without feeling like I am force-feeding myself?

I have limited at-home resistance options (beyond body-weight) but since you asked the question, maybe you can provide guidance on a different question of mine ....

Once I get to the point where 20 lbs per hand doesn't feel "so heavy" to me any more and I am ready to lift even more, would "layering in" progressively higher-resistance bands be a way to increase "dumbbell weight" without having to invest in or store more lumps of shaped metal? For a variety of reasons, I won't be joining a gym anytime soon so won't have access to more comprehensive racks of dumbbells or resistance machines just at the moment.

I am not a nutritionist or expert by any means. But I would adjust your carbs down (make sure you are still getting at least 135 grams per day though, as that is what your brain needs) and up your protein. Also, as someone pointed out to me up thread, you don't need to eat back your burned calories. If you aren't hungry, don't push it. Unless you have an eating disorder that has thrown off you sense of hunger cues, your body will tell you to keep eating if it is hungry and needs more calories.

For strength training, I am super biased, but have you tried yoga? It is a great body weight based way to build up strength. Look for iyenger yoga videos or YouTube videos (there are a ton of great instructors online.... I highly recommend Fightmaster Yoga, she has some great beginner series). You can get super strong just doing body weight exercises. If you have bands, even better. To build strength you just need to push your muscles to exhaustion. You can either do that through increasing band resistance or increasing body weight... (one example: going from push-ups on knees, to on toes, to one leg or one arm, or elevating feet... Just and example) Or you can build strength by increasing repetitions.

Another great way to build strength and help your bones is plyometrics, which is a fancy term for exercises that involve jumping. Burpees, jumping jacks, jumping lunges, etc.

For your question about increasing weight with your bands, go to your more resistant bands, and then you can also shorten you band to add resistance by stepping on it, or putting a loop in it and stepping on it, if that makes sense to you. I don't know about doubling up. That seems like it could pose a safety issue.
This discussion has been closed.