TEAM MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLES JANUARY 2019 TEAM CHAT

Options

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,587 Member
    Options
    @UTMom81 - Yes! You can totally walk longer races! Do it, if it lights you up! Just be sure to line up toward the back, so you go out with people moving at a similar pace. The best races I have been in had pace signs, so you could line up at whatever your expected paces was (i.e., 11 minute mile, 12 minute mile, etc.).

I have been getting excited about being able to work on pull-ups now. My gym has a machine that lets me set a certain amount of assistance. When I started, there was literally no amount of help on that machine that made a pull up possible. Now I can do one, and with less than the maximum amount of assistance.

I also get excited about working on flexibility. Seeing myself get better at yoga has been super exciting this year. There are things in class than I can now do that I could not before.

Other ideas on things to track:
    - Waist measurement
    - Pushups (maybe work on being able to do 100?)
    - Situps (a 200 situps program could be fun)
    - Sit-and-reach test or som other flexibility measure
    - Swimming (distance, speed)
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Following what @AustinRuadhain has said @UTMom81 - I think trying new activities and seeing how you do/ if you like it can be a good measurement of overall fitness. And yes, try that 10K walk. If you feel like its not working or no one else is walking (if that is what you think might happen) then you can always stop and not finish (worse case scenario).
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Kres567 wrote: »
    Checking-in for Tuesday

Calories: not sure
    Water: not sure
    No exercise
    Scale is moving down however

Still sick but on meds so it's hopefully on the way out the door. I managed to eek out a whole mile for my first day of RTY. No bueno but I'll get moving as soon as I can breathe again.

What does RTY stand for? I hope you are feeling much better today!

It stands for Run The Year; a challenge to log 2019 miles for the year 2019. Running, walking, whatever. And you can go it alone or with a team. This is year number #3 for me

That is so cool!!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,587 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I am listening to a James Clear video this morning, and finding it so on point that I thought I would share. In this little talk, he is talking about building the systems, the habits, that have you meet your goals. If you take a listen here, you'll hear the story of a guy who mastered the art of showing up at the gym. For 6 weeks, he showed up at the gym and then left after 5 minutes. He was practicing being the person who goes to the gym every day. He eventually lost over 100 pounds. I love it. Optimize the work you are doing now for the starting line, for where you are right now.
    https://youtu.be/_jmL1K7uicc?t=405
  • daisytripp
    daisytripp Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    UTMom81 wrote: »
    Hugs to you, Daisy. We are here for you as you continue this process of grieving and trying to find a new normal. Welcome to the team. What mountains are your cabin in? I leave very near the Great Smoky Mountains and have always wanted a cabin up there. Glad you have a little getaway spot!

@UTMom81 We have a cabin right on the Tennessee/North Carolina State line - sort of between Tellico Plains and Murphy. It's such a beautiful area!
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Slimpossible friends, I just wanted to share with you one of my overall goals. I don't think I've mentioned it here before, but it has been in the back of my mind all along. On June 1, I will turn 60. Yes, I'm struggling a bit wrapping my head around that! My goal is to be the healthiest version of myself I have ever been when I get there. I'm doing well in this from the weight angle (well, if I can get back to around 146 like I was before the holidays) because that will be my lowest weight as an adult (I was, like, 23 when I weighed that prior to this past summer/fall).

I am looking for other ways to "assess" health, so I'm open to suggestions of other things to keep track of. My blood work numbers were all fine when I had my last physical, so don't think I can really improve those much. Maybe measuring strength, but honestly, I'm afraid of free weights. I can and do use the machines at Planet Fitness, though. I can't run (doctor's orders--bad knees), but I do a lot of walking already as many of you know. Those of you that participate in them, do people laugh at you if you WALK a 10K instead of run in one? Is that even a thing? Every now and then I'll walk a 5K just here in my neighborhood just for the heck of it. But other than hiking up to 20 miles back when I was hiking all the time, I've never participated in a 10K "race" even on my own in my neighborhood.

Ideas?

Thank you for sharing. Your post really resonated with me. I am going to focus on weight training. With some of the workouts I have been doing I am noticing changes in my body that I never had before (definition in my arms) and I really like it. So now I am going to take it to the next level. My plan is to use the Internet and particularly youtube and Pinterest for some guidance.

I know you said you are afraid of free weights and I was too because I didn’t know what to do with them. Slowly I am learning. Now that is all I use plus a stability ball and I can work out from home.

As for that 10k, who cares what people think! Just do it!
  • sunshineplace
    Options
    Checking in....finally

Time to recommit. My body is very unhappy with the way I have been treating it. Acid reflux, stiff joints, clothes fitting tighter, major abdominal bloat and I can taste the salt on my tongue if you know what I mean. Yuck!

Goals for today. Get my water intake in check and track it. Back to my probiotics and vitamins. Add some fruits and veggies back into my diet. Tomorrow back to tracking my food and making good choices. Weigh in tomorrow and time to face the music.
  • sunshineplace
    Options
    @daisytripp welcome to the team. I’m sorry to hear about your baby. I am also happy that you are making your health a priority. There are so many members on this team who have faced and are facing adversity but are choosing to take better care of themselves despite the challenges they face. That inspires me!
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,819 Member
    Options
    Tuesday check in
    Calories; over
    Water; over
    Exercise none
  • Jaybo37
    Jaybo37 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wednesday check in:
    Cals : over by 150
    Water : around 2.5 litres
    Exercise : just over 12,500 so far, might get a few more steps in

Today went pretty ok, hard to go back to eating in a restricted fashion. But considering my clothes are wayyyy too tight, needs must. I threw out all my larger clothes so I have no choice😩
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wednesday
    Calories - good today so far
    Water - needs work
    Exercise - consistent
    Tomorrow's goal - continue to keep the eats clean and overcome the nightly cravings.

Looks like we have a lot of people off to a great start - go team! :)
  • Jactop
    Jactop Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Intro: I'm Jackie. I live in Ontario with my husband and 2 kids. I work part time in an old fashioned Chocolate store which is one of my biggest struggles. I'm 55 and have several health challenges that I'm determined to undo or improve with healthy living. I've been part of this group since July which really helps keep me on track.

Challenge: It was hard to narrow down my choices. I'll start with logging, planning and checking in as these are what keep me on track. I'm a bit of a Fitbit addict so I get my steps in but avoid strength training so I started adding in a few sets of 2-4 exercises daily along with cardio.

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Username: kres567
    Previous Weight: 209.2
    Current Weight: 206.6!!

My Christmas weight is gone. I’m still not at the lowest I was in December but its coming. My first mini goal is onederland. If I keep moving the way I am on my treadmill, getting my steps in, tracking and planning I should get there!

Fantastic!!!!!!!!! I knew you'd be down this week, just from your posts
  • tess5036
    Options
    Checking-in for Tuesday

Calories: not sure
    Water: not sure
    No exercise
    Scale is moving down however

Still sick but on meds so it's hopefully on the way out the door. I managed to eek out a whole mile for my first day of RTY. No bueno but I'll get moving as soon as I can breathe again.

What does RTY stand for? I hope you are feeling much better today!

I was wondering that
  • tess5036
    Options
    Slimpossible friends, I just wanted to share with you one of my overall goals. I don't think I've mentioned it here before, but it has been in the back of my mind all along. On June 1, I will turn 60. Yes, I'm struggling a bit wrapping my head around that! My goal is to be the healthiest version of myself I have ever been when I get there. I'm doing well in this from the weight angle (well, if I can get back to around 146 like I was before the holidays) because that will be my lowest weight as an adult (I was, like, 23 when I weighed that prior to this past summer/fall).

I am looking for other ways to "assess" health, so I'm open to suggestions of other things to keep track of. My blood work numbers were all fine when I had my last physical, so don't think I can really improve those much. Maybe measuring strength, but honestly, I'm afraid of free weights. I can and do use the machines at Planet Fitness, though. I can't run (doctor's orders--bad knees), but I do a lot of walking already as many of you know. Those of you that participate in them, do people laugh at you if you WALK a 10K instead of run in one? Is that even a thing? Every now and then I'll walk a 5K just here in my neighborhood just for the heck of it. But other than hiking up to 20 miles back when I was hiking all the time, I've never participated in a 10K "race" even on my own in my neighborhood.

Ideas?

Thank you for sharing. Your post really resonated with me. I am going to focus on weight training. With some of the workouts I have been doing I am noticing changes in my body that I never had before (definition in my arms) and I really like it. So now I am going to take it to the next level. My plan is to use the Internet and particularly youtube and Pinterest for some guidance.

I know you said you are afraid of free weights and I was too because I didn’t know what to do with them. Slowly I am learning. Now that is all I use plus a stability ball and I can work out from home.

As for that 10k, who cares what people think! Just do it!

Weight training, or any form of resistance training, is absolutely fantastic to help with weight loss and fitness and health. It helps you to change a shape quickly and can also help with metabolism, after all muscle burns more calories at rest compared to fat. 10k, go for it as long as you do it at your own pace, over here there are many that I've designed to be walked rather than run, or give you the option of walking or running
  • tess5036
    Options
    Wednesday check in
    Calories; under
    Water; over
    Exercise; 1 hour BodyCombat, 30 mins spin, core training, skillmill
    Tomorrow; more!
This discussion has been closed.