2019 - I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GIVE UP!! HERE WE GO!

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    I'm so impressed that your gain has given you motivation, Suzy! What a great way to see it! And I agree with Snooozie that it should come off again easily.

I weigh daily and although with the fluctuation it looks like I'm losing, I'm noticing an upward trend. I know I've been flitting about recently, and not really sticking to a particular plan. I think that can work, but I think I need to get a grip now, and remember that if I'm not fasting, then I need to eat less at meals and so on. Work is a struggle, much more than it used to be, as there are constantly treats on offer. I used to manage that well by fasting, so maybe I need to go back to that.
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,362 Member
    I think we all have to find what works for us individually and go with it. However we need to accept the fact that what worked before may not work now...at least that’s what I’ve found with me. I think it would be very hard to be around treats at work all the time. That’s what threw me on my trip. My brother in law keeps all kinds of cookies, candy, pastries in the house and I have a hard time resisting. I’m going to Texas in a little over a week for four days to see my brother and his family. I’m really hoping to use my KC two pound gain as a reminder to resist the temptations.

Went hiking today...five miles up and down hills (not really big enough to be called mountains). It felt really good to be out. It was probably 75 degrees or so!!! I hope warm weather is coming soon for us all!

• suzyqholland
    I’m trying really hard to not get discouraged. I started the year off really well but seem to be stagnating. I know that I struggle when I’m taken out of my normal routine. You would think that I would be prepared and I thought I did okay but then I gained two pounds. I weighed this morning and I haven’t taken it off yet. My official weigh in is on Friday morning so we’ll see what happens. I really really don’t want to put any weight on when I go to Texas and get out of my routine yet again. Any suggestions on how to stay focused and make adjustments when you’re away from home?
  • Vailara
    Two pounds is nothing, honestly, and doesn't necessarily reflect on your eating! I often go up and down two pounds from day to day. It's a few years since I've been away from home for any length of time, so I don't know if my old strategies still work, but I used to find it helpful to try to keep eating to mealtimes, and being aware that if you're being served food, it's probably much bigger portions than you would make for yourself. I've only managed to avoid gaining when away, not to lose.

I have not been doing well at all, also after a fairly good start. I've been noticing an upward trend with my weight again (ignore all the losses on my feed - I weigh daily so it goes up and down). However, I've been having problems with scales - I'm now weighing on two different sets of scales every morning and taking the highest measurement. This is starting to feel inconvenient!

Good luck with the weigh-in tomorrow. I hope it's good news!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
    Back after brekkie to post (and i'm the last person to be offering any advice on staying on track while you travel Suzy! But since you were looking for some tips i googled some ideas and these seemed to be the most logical and the most "doable"?

Remind yourself every day it’s a marathon -If you tried to sprint a marathon full force you would never make it

Keep track of your nutrition when you feel you’re losing your grip
    Eating too much or eating too little are both equally are the nemesis of maintaining weight loss. The best way to combat that war is to keep track of your nutrition when you feel most out of control.

Memorize this phrase, “No thanks, I just ate.”
    When you’re trying to make better choices regarding eating, it’s easy to get bombarded with turbulence over, “you can have just ONE” or “I heard not eating can be BAD for you” when in reality they just want you to join in on the fun. When you say “No thanks, I just ate,” it cuts down on the need to defend yourself BIG TIME.

Drink as much water as you can. Not only will you stay hydrated but your body will be running on all 8 cylinders keeping you constantly tuned up.

Ask yourself “Will I be happy with that decision an hour from now?”
    Odds are the answer is no and it helps to focus on the outcome rather than the instant gratification. If the answer is yes, then that’s what you should be doing! Self accountability at it’s finest.

Never give up on yourself
    You’ve got to want it more than anything because anything can stop you.

USE THE 80/20 RULE
    Balancing your vacay indulgences with clean proteins and vegetables will help to regulate your hunger and sugar level hormones, and prevents low energy, cravings, bloat, and weight gain so you can truly enjoy yourself and your trip while staying on track.

While on vacation, think 80/20. Eat fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins 80% of the time and indulge for 20%.

Sip Smart
    Drink lots of water. Water helps flush toxins, prevent dehydration and helps to keep you feeling full between meals. Throw a water bottle in your bag and hydrate consistently throughout the day.

Did you know that it would take a 45-minute cardio session to burn off the calories in most ‘skinny’ margaritas? If you’re a cocktail drinker stick to vodka, clear tequila or clear rum and a sugar-free mixer (like water and club soda). Vodka and club soda, 100% agave tequila on the rocks or with club soda…or clear rum and diet coke (if you must…and only because Bacardi and water/club taste nasty!).

Move your body - walking is a great alternative if there is no gym
  • Snooozie
    Hi guys - i've had a terrible week eating wise and with no excuse whatsoever - i'm not stressed over anything, i've had plenty of time to prep stuff in the mornings but instead i've been eating out and ordering in... and this mornign saw the results of that insanity on the scale... im also angry at myself.. or miffed.. or something cause i can't figure out WHY i made the choice to eat crap for 3 days straight.. there's no logical reason for it nor is there any emotional upheavel reason and i think that makes it worse.. i found myself last night having those old bad habits sneak in.. the mind games of "i've already blown it today so what the hell" which i KNOW is so wrong.. i absolutely know better by now and i think the fact that i DO know better and still actually started thinking that way added to the binge... physically i am also feeling the nasty results of filling myself with garbage; puffy, bloaty, achy, tired, blah blah blah... i know i've been feeling disappointed in myself for not having lost any weight this year and it'salready mid march!! its almost like i've been punishing myself for that for the past few days by stuffing myself with crap ... makes no sense whatsoever i realize.. but then again.. im not really sure that's the reason why.. but its all immaterial at this point -

so this morning i slapped myself upside the head and stopped trying to figure out the why; i can't change the past few days so its over now and I am just going to choose today to take better care of myself - And take it one day at a time continuing to do just that... i ain't giving up on me!
  • suzyqholland
    Great suggestions y’all. I’m going to take my water bottle and have it with me at all times, no snacking, try to remember to stop eating (even if it tastes good) when my hunger is satisfied, take my walking shoes and walk every morning.

Vail, I’ve been getting fed up with my digital scale. I keep thinking I should get an old fashioned one. I hate how it can read different (up to a pound or more!) each time I weigh. I usually weigh until I get the same number twice and then go with that.

Snoozie, I’m so sorry that you’ve been struggling. I wish I knew why we tend to sabotage ourselves. All the experts say that we need to understand why we make bad eating decisions but sometimes I think we just want to eat. Good for you for recognizing it after only three days and getting back on track! Never give up!!!!

• suzyqholland
    zaf5kex116x7.jpeg
  • Snooozie
    awww thanks so much Suzy - that's PERFECT and you are absolutely right - we DO GOT THIS! :D:D
  • Snooozie
    Morning Hatters!

Well thankfully i'm back to my actual logged weight this morning - so i don't have to adjust it upwards; phew! I spent some time going over my previous diary entries and i'm back on track today; i've decided to start testing my BG more often to remind me of the BIG reason why i'm here, and now that winter is finally starting to loosen its ugly grip, once the last of the snow and ice is gone and this midnight shift is over, to get back to walking every single day. I'm really missing PB this week; the schools are on march break and have taken over the community centres so we're all in withdrawal LOL... so i might have to drag my butt out a few times even while on nights next week just so i don't go into the DT's LOL..

Suzy - fingers crossed for the weigh in today; and think your plans for keeping in control while you're away are great!

Vail - if you don't mind my asking, why are you weighing on two different scales? I totally get the daily weigh in.. i do the same cause i can't help myself lol... but wouldn't two different scales just make you a little crazy?? That said i also get we gotta do what works for us lol.. so if 2 are what ya need you go girl..!

Gail and Milove - hope all is okay in your worlds? Pop in when you can and let us know how you're doing pls?
  • suzyqholland
    Way to go Snoozie! With daylight savings time kicking in, we’ve been able to get back to our after dinner river walks and it has been awesome! I hope your weather clears up soon. Of course, it’s raining here...again...ugh. I’m so tired of it! The hiking club was meeting today but I’m just not up for going in the rain and mud!

I had a “whoosh” loss on the scale this morning! I really really don’t want to have to re-lose this weight when I get back. I seriously need to learn how to cope with getting out of my routine and still losing or at least maintaining!

Vail, I have to admit... I chuckled at you using two scales. The things we put ourselves through!!! I weighed about four times this morning before the same weight showed up twice....that’s the weight I logged. Lol.

Gail, Milove, Susan....hope you’re all doing well and checking in once in awhile, even if you’re not commenting. Like Snoozie said, let us know how you’re doing!
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2019
    Yayyyy on the Woosh !! Woo hoo ! So happy for you - we know weight loss isn't linear and looks likes your body was just doing it's thing adjusting to your awesome weight loss already before it could move on! well done Susie I'm happy for you and you'll be fine while away just remember your three "w"'s - water, walking and your wiooosh !!!👍👏
  • Vailara
    Congratulations on the loss, Suzy! And on getting back to your logged weight, Snoozie!

My double daily weighing does some a bit obessive, I know ... the reason is that I seemed be getting misreadings on both sets of scales, and I thought I'd try using both for a while and see if one seems more consistent than the other. Weighing is always a challenge, as my cat likes to join in and will insist on getting on the scales with me as part of his morning routine, so that upsets the readings too!
  • Snooozie
    I get the 2 scale process now Vail - have you seen any consistency in one as yet or too soon to tell? omg on the cat.. much as i love all animals, if any of em tried to get on the SCALE with me they'd be shooed out of the room - i don't need even a paw on that thing when i'm hopping on it LOL... I wonder if there's a "cat weight deficit" like a fitbit thingie does for calories burned; you could adjust the scale setting for kitty addition!! haaaaaaa

I did well yesterday food wise; and got a lot of housework done so i'm counting that as moving my parts. Last night i did a kids show at the LAC; it's a drama program they run for kids 6-16 and they put on a musical show every few months - last night they did The Lion King Jr.. omg it was so good lol.. the kids did an awesome job and there are some budding young amazing singers in there. It was kinda funny really cause there was a huge Motown show in the big theatre which everyone wanted to work and so we were very short of volunteers for the smaller theatre; a few of the others thot i missed out on the big show but little did they know i picked the kiddie one on purpose lol.

Its a gorgeous morning out there; still cold but the wind has died down..i had planned some paperwork chores along with scrubbing some floors today but i think i'm going to bundle up and head to the lake for a leisurely stroll - a mental health walkabout! have a great day Hatters
  • suzyqholland
    It sounds like you made the better choice on shows, Snoozie! I hope you made it for your walk. It’s amazing what a little outdoor time can do for your mental outlook.

Vail...that cat!!! Hahaha! My cat is so big that it would put me into a whole other set of numbers if he climbed on! Thank you for the visual and the laugh!

I’ll post a picture of the mountain we climbed today. It’s called Mount Yonah. It’s supposedly a 1500 foot elevation change over 2.2 miles but I’m telling you it was sooooo much more!! I’m embarrassed at how long it took me to get to the top but so darned proud of myself for not giving up!
    I know this really isn’t much of a mountain by mountain standards like in Colorado but it’s what we’ve got here. I’m exhausted.

• suzyqholland
    egtloa6vbxzu.jpeg
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2019
    lordy i dont wanna see the mountains in colorado if this isn't considered a mountain by their standards Suzy!! i am completely in awe - seriously because i did indeed get down to the lake, and i was moritified at how quickly i became winded - and its completley flat!! So i'm going to have to kick that up big time to get my endurance back... So i have even more respect for ya today than I already had.. for not giving up and climbing that MOUNTAIN today!!

I'm thinking that should be your new mini motto girl... anytime something comes up you find remotely challenging (like being away in Texas food wise!) you should just say to yourself "Hell, I've climbed MOUNTAINS, I can handle this lol"
  • suzyqholland
    Thanks Snoozie! It was extremely challenging for me. I know what you mean about building your endurance. Yet another goal for us to put on our lists!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Hi!! Just got back to work after Vacation!! It was fun, Great weather , not too cold . Playing catch-up on the posts. New job placement...just a slide down, but card still swipes. so I will have different pop on times....when no one is around L:OL
  • suzyqholland
    Gail, I hope the new position at work is something you’re looking forward to. Good luck with it! Thanks for popping in!

I’m off to San Antonio today. I’m up a couple pounds from last Friday, which is a puzzle to me but whatever. I climbed a freakin mountain last Sunday and I’ve been walking after dinner and still I’m up two pounds. I did eat more calories on Sunday but....again.... I climbed a mountain! Hahaha! It will be fine. I’m going to use my strategies, go for walks, exercise restraint but not let it negatively affect my trip.

Everyone have a great week and weekend!