2019 - I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GIVE UP!! HERE WE GO!

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
edited December 2018 in Social Groups
gvie82crn1cz.jpg

Replies

• Snooozie
    Options
    Welcome to 2019 Hatters!

It's a brand new year – and a brand new day!! And a perfect time for us to begin working towards getting what we want for ourselves this year!!

I used Suzy’s poster to start us off because I think it will be a great reminder for all of us to see it every single day when we log into the site, and it will be there as a shining beacon to help remind us on the good days and the bad days.. not to give up on ourselves!!

We know that this year is going to be about taking the power back – about making our own choices when it comes to the food we eat, instead of feeling like we “have” to eat this or that it gets to be OUR decision and choice.

It will be our own choices that give us the most power this year, but I also think it’s important to remind ourselves that while we are working our way towards our own individual goals, and making decisions about what we choose to eat, that those decisions are just that – a simple choice or decision.

They are neither good or bad decisions, not good or bad choices… they are simply plain old decisions and choices. And I think it’s really important that we try to change our mindset this year, and make sure we don’t associate any negative connotation to any of those choices…

We aren’t bad for our food choices. Or terrible. Or lazy. Or hopeless.

We aren’t bad because we ate fluffy biscuits with real butter.We aren’t bad because we had a bag of chips. We aren’t naughty because we ate the full-fat ice cream or the fast-food version of pizza or a whopping piece of cake.

I’m not bad because I don’t like kale. . Because I don’t count calories. Because I surpassed some calorie count. Because I like to eat chocolate every day. I haven’t sinned by eating a “sinful” meal. I don’t need to atone for my sins at a gym. I don’t need to work off X number of calories or hit the pavement for 30 minutes longer because I ate a cookie or four.

I don’t need to punish myself in any way. I don’t need to bash myself .

I don’t need to stop eating dessert. Forever. Or for a day. Because I didn’t do anything wrong.

We don’t have to feel ashamed or disappointed. We don’t have to feel guilty. We don’t have to get angry with ourselves because, again, we didn’t do anything wrong.

Normal eating is flexible. Some days we’ll crave an apple. Other days we will crave an apple pie. Still on other days we might want both, and having both (or one) doesn’t make us a bad person or a bad decision-maker. We don’t need to earn the right to eat certain foods. We know what we want for ourselves and we know the choice is ours as to what we eat, but we never need to punish ourselves over any food.

Listen to your body. Feed your mind and body the nutrients it needs to get you what you want for yourself - eat good healthy foods you enjoy, which satisfy your taste buds. And as you’re working on getting what you want, remember that you are worthy and deserving, no matter what choices you make about the food you eat.

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Preach, sister!!!!

Love it!!!

• milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Amen and Happy New Year Mad Hatters!
  • Snooozie
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Here we go!

Now that the last of the holiday season is behind us, we have a great year to look forward to - and to reap the rewards of the work we are going to put into getting what we want for ourselves!

I had my celebratory chips, dip and a glass of wine when I got home from work NYE - I actually managed to stay up til midnite LOL - I was asleep 10 minutes later.. but I made it! I think it may be the first time i've been awake in about 5 years ha. \

As I mentioned, i've chosen to try to lower my white carbs and increase my veg and some fruit, I tried a skinnytaste recipe that was spagetti squash topped with parmesan Reggiano and crumbled bacon, but used butternut squash noodles as I was too lazy to prep the other one.. it was very good. Vail - you mentioned you had tried a new veg - what was it? I'm looking for different ways to prep veg as well, i usually only steam or roast em but that gets a bit boring. Also googling some low carb casseroles as with winter heading our way, i know i'll be wanting those "comfort" type foods. We are getting a few days of above zero temps coming up so i plan to hit the lake, and i've decided while on midnites next week im just going to use the halls and stairwells to move around if i can't get myself up and out.. have to get my mindset turned around re the moving more aspect and keep to my plan of doing "something" every day. Brekkie was scrambled eggs and a bit of bacon, the rest of which will be crumbled into my salad later at work and will grab a tub of stew from the freezer to take in as well.. one oatmeal walnut cranberry cookie added in and i'm good to go. I have a few days off after tonite so hopefully i can find some freezable meals like a shepherds pie or something to get done up.

As for my weigh ins, I'm not going to set a weekly or monthly time - i tend to hop on the scale daily, just out of habit so i think i'll just do my check in whenever i start seeing the loss. (yup notice the positive thinking... WHEN i start seeing the loss...!) Because I wanna see what happens if i don't give up!! :)

looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing with refining their own plans for getting what they want!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I weigh every morning even though “they” say you shouldn’t. I have found that when I stop doing that is when I start gaining weight.

My choices weren’t exactly in line with my goals the last two days. I did some serious soul searching to try to figure out why I gave up on my goals last night (I was okay with NYE choices...my husband and I spent the evening together, just the two of us and it was great!). I roasted a turkey yesterday and when I got into the thick of cooking this elaborate meal (potatoes and dressing for my husband and brussel sprouts and cauliflower for me) I just got overwhelmed and flustered. After eating and cleaning the kitchen I was feeling like I had worked so much harder on the meal than I had meant to and was justified in eating that caramel (then another and another...). Anyway....this taught me a valuable lesson about myself; I need to prep and plan my meals so that I’m not in that situation again. Stress inhibits my ability to make good choices.

At least I walked yesterday! I’m heading out to walk now and getting some good veggies at the store. I like to have what I call a scramble occasionally. Red bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, zucchini (whatever veg you have really) sautéed in a little olive oil. Top with an egg and cook until it’s the way you like it (I like the yolk a bit runny). I also like to add some jalapeño and tomatoes. It’s a great breakfast or dinner. I’ve tried spaghetti squash so many times and I just don’t like it...kinda like you and kale Snoozie. I may try the butternut squash noodles though.

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Whoah!!! I logged in this morning to 40 something posts to read......You girls have been busy. I'll play catch-up soon.

I made it through 51 days straight of work ,off for Thanksgiving then 4 weeks more...so I have been busy too....but the most important milestone is drumroll*******.........I am a Grandmother for the 1st time! So excited!!

She is beautiful , Isabella Leigh (IZZY for short) 6.5 lbs. 19.5 inches. So tiny! Such a small cry ...for right now, I imagine that will change with time.

Hope to get a pic posted sometime before she's 18. I am not tech savvy.
    Mom is doing great.
    Dad has decided he wants 2 or 3 more....and he was so adamant that her and her big sister( 6 years old) were ALL they needed. NO MORE!!... until he held this one and she grabbed his heart!

Pop's has been sick this whole time and has not so much as held her...It is killing him...along with the COPD that I suspect he has. He thinks it's been a cold, but he woke up with his chest tight and coughing was killing him. no cold symptoms before hand. He is 65 and a 50 + year smoker...........started around 11 sneaking his grandmothers " rabbit tobacco ,as he calls it" not sure what that was back then.
    On a happier note:

Happy New Year to each of you!! Praying for Peace and Love towards each other throughout the WHOLE world!
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suz no wonder you were stressed after the elaborate dinner, but i'm not gonna lie wish i had been there to dig in it sounds scrumptious!! i'm the same when it comes to stress influencing my choices, and emotions - and i absolutely know that's going to be one of my biggest challenges this year; not reaching for crap when i'm sad/happy/lonely/angry/ well the list could go on and on. I am going to print out that poster of yours at work tonite for my cupboards - i realized today my other signs have been up for so long i don't even see them anymore when i go in the kitchen, and they really did help at the beginning to see them.. so your "i want to see what happens if i don't give up on me" is going to be my new one!!

Thank you so much for the scramble idea.. i totally forgot i used to sautee some veg then sramble in the egg, but breaking it over it is a great idea.. i'll chop some mix of onion/peppers/and yes i like jalepenos and freeze it in a baggie so i can have it ready .. thanks so much - that's going to be perfect for my night shift!

lol @ the squash.. i hear ya!! to be honest i'm all about the frozen veg right now; except for the turnip which i also cheat with and buy already cut into big cubes.. its just too much work to hack one apart and slice it so the bit of extra $ to have it already done is totally worth it for me!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    How do you cook the turnip? I haven’t had one since I was a kid and mom boiled them? I’m not sure.

Gail!!! Congratulations!!! I’m looking forward to being a grandma someday. How exciting!! So...dad wants 2-3 more; how does mom feel about that? Lol! I’m sorry to hear about (your husband’s?) COPD. My mother and sister in law have it and I see them struggle. My father in law had it, as well. I hope he goes to the doctor and starts treatment.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year all! Sorry that I'm late to the party - have been so busy! Thank you for starting the thread, Snooozie. I love the theme.

First of all, big congratulations on your granddaughter, Gail! What a beautiful name! Are they living with you at the moment? It will be lovely to have time with your first granddaughter. So sweet that your son wants more right away! Hope Pop is OK ... it's a bad time of year for chesty things too. It's scary when you think of smoking for all those years. I know you can't do the giving up for him ... maybe the new baby will be motivation?

My new veggies were bitter melon and green radish. The bitter melon was interesting, don't know if I'd go out of my way to have it again, and probably best in small doses (it really is bitter!), but I enjoyed it. The green radish was really good. I could probably eat that every day!

I don't think I've had spaghetti squash. I've looked out for it but haven't seen it around here. I've used courgette instead of pasta before, but it's not really much like it. Mind you, I don't like gluten-free pasta either. Quite fussy about my pasta - lol! But then vegetables with pasta sauce/dressing can be good! I have been making a moussaka sometimes recently, with a healthier recipe I found online, layers of roasted vegetables, with or without potato (have tried both, and I do like the starchiness of the potato, but obviously not low carb). It kind of works as a lasagne alternative! It's a bit of a faff, though, and I might not carry on making it just for myself.

I have not been good, but not being particularly awful - not managing to tick of my daily diet goals, but have been fine on the fitness goals, so I think my health is benefiting. And I'm not overeating and the weight seems to be going down rather than up - lol!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    spaghetti squashy is something that begs for a lot of butter, salt n pepper, and any other seasoning you might like....if it is straight out of the shell it is AWFUL!! yuck! And I have learned to stop it a bit before the length of time most say it requires...I don't like it mushy

I feel the same way you do, Suzy...I easily get overwhelmed cooking and it is all my fault...trying to make something for everyone to like.... so I don't cook too much anymore, we have downscaled since my son is working in Arkansas.

And I try to eat a bit of everything!!
  • suzyqholland
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I tried roasted butternut squash tonight. Yum!!!

By the way....are any of you Fitbit wearers? I’m looking for more Fitbit friends. All but one of mine have moved to Apple Watch or some other tracker.

• Snooozie
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I tried roasted butternut squash tonight. Yum!!!

By the way....are any of you Fitbit wearers? I’m looking for more Fitbit friends. All but one of mine have moved to Apple Watch or some other tracker.

just home from work and will do replies when my tea is ready but suzy there's a group on here for fitbit users (I dont use one altho everyone else I know still has one) you might find what ya need here?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Gail - as you know from the PM I sent you i'm thrilled everything is great with mom dad and baby - and congrats on your beautiful new granddaughter! I hope you can figure out a way to upload a photo at some point would love to see her!

As to the squash/turnip debate lol

First off the turnip - I think you call them rutabagas there? But they aren't tiny little things here.. those tiny things are what WE call rutabagas lol turnips here are about the size of a small head of lettuce... and they are a *kitten* to peel as they have a very tough skin. So I buy the tub of already peeled and cut up into chunks ones and I do boil them for about 10 minutes, then I toss in a handful of carrots (baby or regular ones) in the same pot for another 10-15 min.. then I drain it and mash the carrot and turnip together with salt and pepper and a little butter... mmmmm so good! that's how my mom always made it and while I will happily eat the turnip with s/p/b all by itself cause I love it.. the carrot/turnip mix is scrumptious too and looks very pretty on a plate ha. I also toss the chunks all by themselves into every beef stew I make.. so that's turnip done!

Spaghetti squash - ok i've only eaten SS once in my life, and I made it as a pasta too Vail and it was quite frankly awful. I found it very very bland, no flavour which I suppose is kinda the point as the recipe was for using it as a pasta with sauce and cheese... quite frankly i'd rather have a bowl of really good pasta with the sauce and cheese anyday.. but I figured since it was so bland it would be good for that recipe I made which covers it in parm reg cheese and bacon LOLOL..

I LOVE butternut squash too and keep a bag of frozen on hand all the time.. I use it to top my shepherds pie instaed of mashed potatos some times.. or just have it as a side veg.. steamed, boiled,roasted - dont care how its made i'll eat it lol - glad you loved the roasted Suzy!

but my all time favourite is acorn squash. thats what we call it but there's probably a nother name for it.. but Because i'm very lazy and it just tastes so good i eat it a lot.. I just slice it in half and throw in on a cookie sheet with whatever else im making (chicken or pork chop or whatever) and I put it right on the plate as is and just eat it out of the shell or rind or whatever the outside is called. Some people put brown sugar in the middle before cooking it but I dont just because I love it as is. plus I get 2 meals out of it (altho I do scoop out the inside of the 2nd half after I eat the first one and put it in a tub in the fridge for the next meal LOLOL.

• Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - I tried bitter melon once.. and that was more than enough thanks .. blech!! I've never even heard of green radishes tho… I like red radishes sliced thin in a salad; are green ones just unripened reds? hmm the things ya learn here in this group!! I totally bow to you for trying new veg - very impressive!! and your post reminded me I tried swiss chard sautéed with onions and a bit of bacon last year and it was so yummy - thanks for the reminder i'll have to do that again!

I have a recipe for mousakka in the loony spoons cookbook and i'm good with potatos - i'm just trying to cut down on the white carbs not cut them out completely so thanks for that idea..!

and I have to admit I had to google "faff" in the british slang urban dictionary.. because i've never heard that phrase before and it said the definition was "to spend time on a non-productive activity; "waste time" LOLOLOL.. so i'm guessing its a whole lot of work for maybe only a so-so recipe?? congrats on hitting your fitness goals and seeing the weight go down.. woo hoo!!!

• Vailara
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I think I forgot it was British - sometimes a word just seems to fit, lol! I meant it was over-complicated, rather than that the recipe was so-so, as the recipe is pretty good. You roast the vegetables in batches, and there's the meat/tomato sauce, and then the bechamel sauce, and you're hovering about the kitchen for a couple of hours while you're cooking it. I know this is nothing to most people, but when it's just me I tend to like things which are quick to cook and don't use a lot of pans - lol! The recipe itself was easy (as you don't cook the aubergine, potatoes, etc. seperately) and tasted good - it's this one here, if I can link to youtube: https://youtu.be/Z_GcsR7Q99s .

I've adapted it a bit for my own purposes, used less oil, no potatoes, less bechamel, different cheese, made it with different vegetables added (because I love mushrooms), and tried a veggy version. To be honest, it's best with both the meat and the potatoes.

Turnips, tend to be called swede here, but I think we're talking about the same thing: purplish on the outside, yellow/orange flesh, hard to cut through, great for mash. I love them! I eat them raw, although I don't think you're supposed to!

The green radish was much bigger than the red ones, more like a cucumber. If you liked the red ones, you'd like it, I think. The taste was milder, and it was very crunchy.

• Snooozie
    Options
    Thanks for the green radish tip - and for the video link!! But i have to be honest when i read ", "and you're hovering about the kitchen for a couple of hours while you're cooking it" I changed my mind LOL.. I really do not enjoy cooking in general so not a chance in hell i'm gonna spend a couple of hours making one dish! Wow on the raw turnip... much as I love it I dont think i'd be able to handle it raw - but yes sounds like the same stuff and its so good, eh?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Nope, a swede is not turnip here....you're talking about a rutabaga , Vail...it is in the same family.....a turnip is much smaller and easier to cut through...but a rutabaga needs a chainsaw! : )
  • Snooozie
    edited January 2019
    Options
    lol Gail - its the exact opposite here in canada - rutabaga little tiny white things and a turnip needs a chainsaw!! haaaaaaaa we should have a turnip/rutabaga/swede day where we all cook whatever we all call em!! :D

ew1icii63395.jpg
  • Snooozie
    Options
    bye the way Suzy - i had to laugh; because just after you posted the "Scramble" tip for me, while i was searching out low carb recipes, I ran across this "omellete in a hole" - basically exactly what you said sautee the veg, then pile them up and put a crust only of bread around it, then drop the egg over (or beat it a bit and pour) and voila... so thanks to you I have 2 different options for a low carb meal on nites!

cbme5v56d79g.jpg

3iev8n3o455r.jpg
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Oh Yum!! I love the idea of a crust on my omelets! Gotta try this one!

Funny about the turnips! In the photo, the smaller one is our turnip...cause that's where we get out turnip greens off of and chop up the bottom to put in it.
    The large one is rutabaga....needing the chainsaw. Love them cooked with a bunch of bacon in it....stinky but yummy.

• Vailara
    Options
    Love the idea of omelette in a hole! I had an omelette yesterday, and I do like normal omelettes, but love the idea of fried bread around the edge. It would be OK on my programme as long as it was wholemeal bread.

I have never heard them called rutabagas here - it sounds very exotic! I looked it up on wikipedia and it seems there is no concensus over names for these vegetables! Also apparently they are just cattle feed in some areas. I love them, but I do always wonder if I'm going to do myself an injury when I'm trying to chop them up.