2019 - I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T GIVE UP!! HERE WE GO!

Options

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Owow!! should be a great concert, Suzy!! I love him! ...he an Chris Stapleton really do some great work together..would be nice if he made an appearance...if you like him.

Thank you, Milove......she is adorable...but a bit fussy....not sleeping good.

Suzy, Oatmeal sounds like something I could eat that way and still like it...

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    yea, Milove between my milk , sugar and ton's of butter...it was not so heart healthy : )
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hi Hatters... i was having a lovely sleep and a very nice dream (i don't remember about what lol) but i know it was good when I got woken at noon by a Charlie horse in my calf... argggh!! so since I was up I popped out to pick up a few things and have made up my lunch for work and had a bite to eat and will head back to bed shortly however..

Suzy - I seem to remember in all our "learning" that brekkie should be a "big" meal calorie wise.. it keeps us from eating more thru the day so 320 is perfectly great, and with the addition of the walnuts and cranberries with the whole grains, i'd say you score a perfect 10 and if you want it 7 days a week, nothing wrong with that at all! I totally agree that winter I don't want to look at a salad very often; I crave warm and cozy. I am so glad I froze down a few tubs of the beef stew I made on days off they've been a godsend to grab and go..

That said, I have to say our motto saved me again this morning.. I didn't bring enuf food to work last nite and didn't eat when I woke up so I had dinner around 11pm, but by 330am or so I was starving.. I had a coffee and my one cookie but on the way home I decided I was going to pick up a mcmuffin type thing .. I deserved it.. yada yada… on the 20 min drive I had an argument with myself .. you know the drill... I dont want to cook something when I get home, im tired im cold and I just wanna go to bed so i'll grab something on the way... dont do it Snooz.. shut up i'm gonna get one... :) then I thot ok... dont you wanna see what happens when you don't give up? (I said no at first lol... then i thot ok... what's quick and better...ok.. I could make a slice of whole grain toast with a bit of jam and slice some cheddar on the side and by the time that's done a cup of tea would be ready... better choice.... not much work.... so I drove right on by the mcmuffin place and home and had that instead... so repeating that motto for this year is absolutely helping me out of a few tight spots so far. and every time I don't give up is a win! so thanks again Suzy for coming up with such a good 2019 mantra!

BTW every time i hear lady antebellum on the radio i think of you and at the grocery store this aft they were playing "I need you now" and i kinda laughed when i heard it.. then come home and see you're going to see JT - excellent!! I've heard he actually puts on a great show so i'm sure you'll have a fab time, and daughters hubby will be pretty grateful too i imagine for you taking his place ha!!

Gail - sorry Isabella hasn't quite settled into a good snooz pattern yet.. are she and her parents still living with you? I seem to remember you guys helping fix up a house they were going to mvoe into.. the carpet removal comes to mind.. ?

Milove - you seem to be doing awesome with your goals and seeing the weight come off.. same with you Vail... well done both of you!

ok.. tummy has a 1/2 sandwich and 6 potato chips in it (yup for the first time in my life.. i bought a small snack size bag rather than the family size! and split it so i had a few with my 1/2 sandwich and still have 8 to take to work tonite with the other.. conscious choice for me and well within my daily goal for cals/carbs so happy camper. so I'm off to beddy bye - rock on hatters!! we WON'T give up on ourselves this year - no way!!!!!!

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Kuddos on the small bag chips
    I know how hard that is!
    Yes, they are still there... for the time being. Young Son has a new job and it may help them with
    I don' mind, I get to see the baby as much as I need to . We just got through tearing off the wallpaper. Now that is a job!! I think wallpaper should be outlawed!! ugh! Or at least go through a 10 step program before applying it to a wall......lol

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I stripped all the wallpaper in our house and will never put more up. It’s the biggest pain in the *kitten* (as Snoozie would say...lol). I’ve seen it making a come back on the home improvement/decorating shows and think to myself, “NO!!!! Don’t do it!” Hahaha! You are the best mom in the world to help with that!

I love Chris Stapleton, so yes it would be incredible if he showed up!

Awesome job on the small chips bag and passing up the drive through, Snoozie!!! This year’s motto is helping me, too. So far, so good!

Now if I could just make myself go back to the gym and start walking more!

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Have fun tonight, Suzy!

I don't usually have oats for breakfast (because I don't have breakfast!), but they're really quick to cook in the microwave, if you use porridge oats. I just cover them with water and a bit of salt and stick them in for a minute or two, depending on what kind of oats I'm using. I just microwave it in the same bowl I'm going to eat it out of.

But I agree about the extras being tempting! I used to use lots when I was having it regularly - used to love cocoa powder, cinnamon, raisons, nuts and seeds. And although I cook it with water and salt, I add a bit of milk after it's cooked.

I always get confused with the terms (it's another turnip/rutabaga/swede situation!). I think what you would call oatmeal, we call porridge. We have:
    - oatmeal - raw chopped oats, takes a while to cook and is quite textured. I think it's what's called steel cut oats in the US.
    - rolled oats - flattened oats, quicker to cook than oatmeal, longer than porridge oats
    - porridge oats - treated oat flakes, quicker to cook
    - instant porridge - more of a powder that you can mix with hot water, so quickest to cook

I don't use instant because I heard years ago that it was higher GI. Whether that's true or not, it stuck in my head! But it's so quick to microwave porridge or rolled oats that I don't feel I'm missing out not having instant. I do wonder if porridge oats are just as "bad" though and whether I should be having steel cut/oatmeal instead.
  • Vailara
    Options
    Oh, just realised I missed a page of posts! I hate stripping wallpaper! What a job! I think it's lovely that you're getting so much time with your Isabella, though, Gail. I think it will be lovely for her too, to grow up with such a close relationship with you, and for her parents to be so supported, of course!

@Snooozie I loved your story about driving back and avoiding the muffin! Well done on that. I wish I could say I had been as good, but I haven't. My son has been back and I know it's no excuse at all ... and I have done ridiculous things like going to the Lindt shop and buying chocolate in their Christmas sale! But I have been pretty good with the exercise, and I will do better and NOT give up!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    gotta hit the sack but Vail - we have pretty much the same as you oatmeal wise in Canada.. only we don't have the powder type otherwise the other 3 are the same here. My mom always made oatmeal growing up.. took about 20 min to cook on the stove if I recall; and rolled oats took about the same and were more processed if you will.. your porridge oats are what we call instant here; packets you just dump in a bowl, add water and nuke for 2 min lol... and that's the one I use. We are also able to get the steel cut now in "instant" supposedly.. at twice the cost I might add of the regular ones.. and when I read the label the fibre is exactly the same so I just use the regular porridge type .. and I always put a bit of butter, about a tsp of cream and a tbsp. of brown sugar in it, cause that's how I had it growing up lol.. my excuse with the butter and cream of course is that oatmeal is pretty high in carbs, and butter and cream are both "carb blockers"; helps slow down the big carb rush and insulin release... (which is completely true, but we all know its really only because I like my oatmeal that way!!)

don't sweat the chocs either - there is nothing wrong with choosing to eat choc or pizza or whatever in our day... as long as it's a conscious choice and something we really want theres nothing wrong it... like my potato chips.. i choose not to go without them in my life, but the only difference is now instead of eating an entire family size bag, I only bought a few which satitsfies my desire for them, and doesnt make me feel deprived.. (but I also know that for me, it's a slippery slope I have to be very careful with when it comes to chips - it will have to be the very occasional treat even in portion sizes!) but if you want a chocolate or 2 a day, there's nothing wrong it … !!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Suzy great for you, Justin Timberlake is a good entertainer.

I checked my weight this morning and I am back up again. Could be that I am retaining fluids?

However, I am going to try to eat breakfast and dinner and maybe just a small snack for Lunch. I eat lunch because it social at work, not because I am hungry. On the weekends when I am off, I only do the breakfast and dinner.
  • Vailara
    Options
    I just found this web page that explains the difference between the different types of oats http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainOats.html with all the different names for them. It looks like I'd imagined that the instant ones are a powder - they are flakes. I don't know because I never use them! Butter, cream and brown sugar sound lovely, and good point about the fats being carb blockers - lol!

I don't know about the weight, @milove1029 . Mine does strange things too - I assume it's fluid fluctations. But I weigh daily, so used to it going up and down! I was just suprised to put on so much last month (8 lb).
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    The concert last night was awesome!!!! He puts on such a great show! I even managed to stay within my calories (by using a bit of exercise calories from all the walking and dancing!!).

I was chanting our motto (inside my head, otherwise people would have thought I was crazy!) at the grocery store this morning. I was tired, had a bit of a headache, hungry and feeling sorry for myself while trying to get just a few things. I wanted the candy bar, ohhhhh...the pastries!!!!....but I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF I DONT GIVE UP!! So I picked up something for dinner and a few necessities and left. Yay!!!

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    I like that idea! and may have to use it Suzy . Glad you had a great concert time.

I was just thinking about posting...no news ....except I am NOT giving UP!!
  • milove1029
    Options
    Good Morning curious have anyone used the Walmart online ordering of groceries and having them delivered to your car?
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suz i'm so glad you had such a great time at the concert - i'd heard he put on quite a show! and huge kudos on the mantra saving you at the grocery store - specially with the hungries, tired and" I wanna" chasing you down all the aisles! well done you!

I am struggling to keep the carbs lower this shift.. between the cold and averaging 4 hrs sleep a day .. omg .. this morning i came home and made french toast with a whole grain slice of bread and an egg with some cinnamon and vanilla.. i used a sugar free syrup on top and it hit the spot .. but as i type this i've been up for an hour and on my second coffee and hear the "load me up with carbs" screaming at me.. i have a healthy dinner i left at work for tonite but i'll have to eat something soon... im doing a short shift at the theatre thing before work tonite they were desperately short people as its a big show and since i knew i woudl be up anyway i figured better doing that than sitting at home wandering the cupboards for a few hours before work.. so that will burn off a few cals.

We're almost 2 weeks into the new year tho and i've done pretty well with making the changes i want... but i'm not seeing any weight loss as yet ... im not gaining either the scale jsut fluctuates a few ounces each way.. but i suspect my body has gotten way too comfortable at this weight.. the "set weight" thing.. which tells me i have to kickstart it out of its comfort zone.. i know once its comfy with that set weight it will fight me to stay there so once this aweful shift is over monday, im going to re jig things a bit.. i have a few things sched for mon and tues so hopefully it will help me get switched over quickly .. i have to say tho.. the older i get the harder this shift work gets.. you'd think after 34 yrs of it it woudl be a no brainer, but my body is definitely feeling the effects more and more.

Righto .. gotta go figure out something to eat .. hope everyone is having a good weekend!

oh and milove no .. i've never used any grocery delivery service; i did have it set up for my senior friend from a local grocery who would deliver them to the house, but never used walmart and never knew they woudl deliver to a car instead lol! not a bad idea!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Haven’t used it, Milove. Let me know how it goes.

I chose to make pizza last night for dinner. I made an olive oil, chicken, red onion, mushrooms and fat free mozzarella. The calories were lower since I could control how much of everything to put on it but still quite high. I did eat more than I should have though...it just tasted so darn good. I was up a couple pounds this morning. I’m hoping it was water weight. I can’t believe it would show up that quickly otherwise. I need to investigate this cauliflower pizza crust I keep hearing about.

I hate the “set weight” phenomenon. Seriously. Hang in there Snoozie!

We’ve got rain, rain and more rain, so no walking or hiking for me this weekend.
  • Vailara
    Options
    Wow, homemade pizza - I make a good one myself, but have been avoiding recently. Yours sounds delicious and quite healthy, as pizza goes! If it's the very thin kind of pizza (my favourite!), then possibly the calories weren't amazingly high. If not, well, it's just bread in the end, isn't it? And of course the weight wouldn't show up so quickly. We know that, but we still don't like to see it - lol!

I did have a recipe for a low-carb pizza base, but it was very high calorie. It tasted good, as long as you didn't expect actualy pizza! The trouble for me is that the base is the best bit - I don't put much topping on. I suppose as an occasional treat, it's fine! I have indulged a couple of times recently - unlike you, it has not been the homemade kind, so it's thicker with more topping, and to be honest, not as tasty. I bet yours was worth the calories!

I know we've talked before about set points. I definitely feel I tend to have one. It's within a range, but it's around when it shows 60lb lost on my ticker. If I go above it, it's relatively easy to lose the weight to get back to it, but it's much more difficult to go below it. And it's easy to regain if I do go below it. I've gone back and forth about whether to give in it and maintain, or to try to encourage a new set point at a lighter weight! This has been going on for years! So I think you're right, Snooozie, that you might need to kickstart it - sometimes it feels it needs something to shake it off. I should probably do the same. I honestly don't know how you cope with shifts! I never coped well! But I can well believe it gets even harder as you get older.

We don't have Walmart here, but I have used grocery delivery in the past, and also used the kind where you drive up and they have it packed for you. There are some aspects I liked about it and some not, if I can summarise just briefly!

Pros:
    • can stop overspending, see total as you shop online and adjust accordingly
    • can be easier to compare prices
    • theoretically stops you impulsively slinging treats in a trolley
    • should be quicker and save time
    • Handy for heavy stuff
    • sometimes easier to see offers
    • really good if it's very bad weather and you don't want to get the car out! Or any other reason for not leaving the house, such as illness
    • saves petrol

Cons:
    • minimum spend
    • there is a charge for it
    • have to commit to delivery window (or pickup window), so no good if plans likely to change
    • can't see and choose own goods
    • sometimes things are missing that you really needed for a particular recipe!
    • although it should be quicker, I often found I spent just as long online shopping as I would do in the shop
    • It's difficult to get slots at Christmas (the one time you're likely to want it!) and they tend to cost more
    • walking round the shop at least adds a few steps, as opposed to sitting ordering it online

I have done it for years, but less and less these days. I don't think I had any deliveries last year at all. I walk or cycle to shops a lot more, and if I'm doing a "big shop" I tend to just drive and get it. I did also use the kind where you drive up and they have it ready for you. I did like it, but I felt there wasn't a big advantage over just going into the shop and doing it myself, and I was also paying for petrol.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Well since we are on the topic of pizza - one of the local shops sent over 2 leftover pizzas around 330am last nite - hot and bubbly and I am not going to lie we were all like locusts swarming them.. and I was one of them! I did a short gig at the LAC for a few hours before I went into work and I was starved when I got there at 10pm, so I heated up my lovely bowl of beef and veggie stew I had left and it was yummy and satisfying and healthy.. good little pudge was I. But when those pizzas landed I was cold and tired and hungry lol.. and my brain turned off and my stomach turned on LOL. I did debate for about 3 seconds then I literally pushed my way into the crowd - i'm pretty sure I would have taken out anyone who tried to get between me and it.. Anyway I did have one piece and my only regret Is that I scarfed it down so fast I didn't get to savour every bite! But I have no regrets at all over that choice (other than too fast lol); in fact i'm kind of looking at it to see if i've made progress - by that I mean knowing I can have a piece of pizza or a piece of cake occasionally and NOT have it derail my day to day efforts; too often in the past something like that would make me throw up my hands and berate myself and say ok i've ruined the day yada yada.. but no more.. trying to fix my relationship with food.. slender healthy fit people eat pizza now and then with no qualms at all cause they know it's not their normal, and that's how I eventually want to be.. so this will be kind of a test in progress, making sure I am right back on "normal" eating without any guilt at all.. and since this will be a new mindset for me the next 24 hrs i'll be watching to make sure that's exactly what I do and feel.. :)

and Suzy yes we know in our heads a few pieces of pizza aren't going to kick up the scales a few pounds .. but when we hop on and see it logic goes out the window for all of us! truth be told it probably would have read the same if you had a salad for dinner just because of normal fluctuation .. it was just the timing coinciding with the pizza night and NOT the pizza itself.. dont let your head talk you into thinking you did something wrong, you absolutely did NOT.. you just had dinner, nothing more!

and Vail yes.. I truly do believe the "set weight" thing is a reality and that mine has become comfortable over the past few years where it is, so I know getting it out of that mode and ready to let go of the weight is going to take time and consistency .. and patience.. and work.. so after tonites last shift I think i'm going to log all my food for my days off... just to see if i'm overestimating what i think im taking in calorie wise on average.. and focus a bit more on am I really hungry .. or just bored or thirsty.. see what the week brings!
  • milove1029
    Options
    Pizza use to be one of my favorite foods, and I had at one time master making it from scratch. However, now it gives me a bad case of heartburn.

Thank you Vail for the breakdown,

I tried it today, and so far it was great. It was no extra charge, I had to go to Walmart parking lokc and pick it up. They brought it to my car. We went over the list and they did great. It was 2 items they did not have and I went to another store and I was in and out and was able to buy it.

I have to say I was extremely satisfied. I had started dreading to go to Walmart which is like a mile from my house. The store was always understaffed and the lines were always long. People were very unfriendly in always cutting the line, to the point that I stopped going to the store. So I was able to benefit from some of the savings without dealing with the crowd.
  • Vailara
    Options
    I'm glad it worked for you! Yes, if the shopping experience is so bad, I can see it being a good alternative. When I did it that way, I found the people at the shop were very pleasant and helpful, and of course, no queue.

Great attitude to your slice of pizza, Snooozie! I am bad at wolfing things down too. Maybe I think there will be less calories if I chew it less. You are so right about not allowing it to derail you. I think that can be more of a danger rather than the food itself!

This reminds me of the many TV programmes I've watched on dieting - lol! One "experiment" they did was with two groups of people who were all given a slice of cake. One group was told the slice of cake had less calories than it did, say 180. And the other group were told a higher number, say 850. Then they recorded what they ate afterwards. Anyway, the group who thought they'd already eaten more calories went on to eat even more calories, than the group who'd thought they'd had less! I presume it was that mindset of thinking the day was a washout anyway, as they'd had so many calories, so they might as well enjoy the rest of it. Whereas the group who had been told it was less calories maybe thought they could still keep on track. Obviously, they couldn't, because they'd been told the wrong number of calories, but they ended up not getting derailed and the cake wouldn't make too much difference.

I'm going off to somewhere where I know I'll be eating things I shouldn't today, so I will keep what you said in mind Snoozie. I will just enjoy what I'm eating at the time, and then get right back to it! (At least, that's the plan!).
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Atta girl Vail !!! hope you have a great time and i loved hearing about that study - excellent insight into some of the mind games that can sometimes mess us up more than a slice of pizza or cake!

I finally saw a bit of a loss when I got up today.. it's only about 1/2 pound BUT that 1/2 lb finally kicked me into a new set of numbers.. woo hoo... only by 2 ounces mind you lol.. but that means now only 9 more lbs to get to another new number :) and hopefully the first "crack" in breaching that "set weight'" I have been at for so long.. fingers crossed!

my only goal today is to stay up til at least 9pm without dozing off on the couch! i finished nights this morning and slept about 3 hrs; but i'm going to get human in a bit and head out to walmart (i dunno if it's all the walmart talk or what.. but i need a new pair of leggings or sweats or somethign for pickleball.. i have a pair of roots ones but they are a little wide legged and long and its too cold for my knee length yoga type. I hope to find a more structured pair tho... i'm not fond of the lightweight ones as they cling a little too much in places i dont want thing clinging! I saw a lady yesterday that had on a patternered pair of legging type things which i think may be a little more forvging if you will - the pattern might hide things a little better than a plain black :) anyway that should keep me awake for an hour or two and then a bit of grocery shopping. I've learned its not a good day to do laundry tho because i've fallen asleep a few times on a pile of warm towels i was supposed to be folding LOL..

okey dokey... time for caffeine and to write out a list of things to get... then just need to remember to BRING the darn list along too!! have a great week Hatters!