The 2019 Move It Monday Challenge!

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,749 Member
    I met my sister for our Monday workout and we made it a bit longer and added a 22 minute walk after we stretched.

Today I’m trying to add a bit extra activity: 5 minutes extra on the circuit, 5 minutes extra stretching, 2 minutes extra on my walk around the block. I’m planning on an extra 5 minutes for my yoga routine, too.
  • Empress62
    Empress62 Posts: 91 Member
    I stayed home from work today, just reading my kindle, then saw this update and did three of the mini workouts linked above twice in a pause while binge reading. :) Perfect for stay at home do nothing day. I will try to do three of them twice each day at the office starting tomorrow.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,438 Member
    I kind of fizzled out last Monday, but the huge snowstorm we are having has energized me and I did a 2 mile Leslie Sansone Walk today! In addition, I have been up and down the stairs in my house today a bazillion times! My college is closed so I am cleaning and everything I need is, of course, on the other floor!!!! My Garmin tracker is in shock! :laugh: What can I say? I <3 snow! :bigsmile:
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,262 Member
    I did not make it to work today due to blizzard in Wisconsin, but that didn't stop me from getting in my HASFit 15 min beginner low impact cardio workout and 12 min beginner ab workout this afternoon!! Have a great evening!!
  • 77tes
    I did not make it to work today due to blizzard in Wisconsin, but that didn't stop me from getting in my HASFit 15 min beginner low impact cardio workout and 12 min beginner ab workout this afternoon!! Have a great evening!!

I LOVE HASFit!

Kudos to all you brave folks exercising while the snow flies,
  • Toyota100
    Toyota100 Posts: 182 Member
    If I don't start off my day early working out it's hard to get motivated later. I was cleaning the house in the morning. I always say I'm going to workout before cleaning up, but sometimes I don't. I should put work out first and then clean up. However, I thought about workout Monday and I pushed myself to get in some activity. I did 40minutes of Leslie Sansone workout online. Plus I did good staying hydrated all day.

• allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    I just checked out HASfit - looks great - I am going to try it
  • peak2beach
    peak2beach Posts: 1,699 Member
    The past two days I didn't get to the gym. My burst of activity were related to spring cleaning! I also did some short stretching and other exercises though. Just need to do those things more often on days where I don't get to the gym.

Hope everyone in the storms stays safe and warm!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    edited February 2019
    And here’s our Week 3 challenge. Let’s make a point to stand up more often, shift around, or walk a bit every 30 minutes or so. Prolonged sitting is terrible for our health. We can do better!

sl5522hzxze6.jpeg

Take a Stand this Monday!

It’s time to take a stand and protest your chair! Use Monday as an opportunity to stand up more regularly. You will be toning your muscles and increasing flexibility and coordination.

Being a bit antsy could be a good thing! According to the ​Mayo Clinic​, “Any extended sitting — such as at a desk, behind a wheel or in front of a screen — can be harmful.” Over many years, sitting stacks up poorly against your heart, weight, circulation, and blood sugar, to name a few.

Start slowly. The point isn’t to stand all day but to remember to stand up or move around when you’ve been sitting for much too long.

● Split your time between sitting and standing by letting a timer do all the work. Set it to remind you to stand up, move around, or stretch in 30-minute intervals.
    ● On the phone? Stand up or pace.
    ● Get a glass of water! Use hydration to remind you to get up.
    ● At the office, stand up in meetings and suggest walking and talking instead of sitting.
    ● At home, get up off that couch! Fit some steps in while watching TV, either by pacing or
    walking in place.
    ● Do some ​standing yoga poses​ between long bouts on the computer.

Starting on Monday then continuing throughout the week, be creative and create excuses to get up more from a desk or couch. It will improve your posture, activate your metabolism, and can help you be more alert. Find us on social media to get more ​out-standing​ ideas! ​Facebook​, ​Twitter​, or Instagram​.

Original post:https://www.moveitmonday.org/take-stand-monday/

• Toyota100
    Toyota100 Posts: 182 Member
    Got up this morning before work and hit my home treadmill for 40 minutes. I have a standing desk at work, so I'm going to stand and do my work until noon. Then sit for awhile. I also, plan to take frequent breaks and walk around hospital. I'm already at 6,629 steps at 7am, so I plan to hit 10k by 12N today.

Happy Monday Everyone!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    I am getting up every hour and doing laps in the large conference room at work. I'm also using my stand-up desk during Skype conference calls today. I plan to do this all week! Hopefully it sticks, and I will continue doing it next week and the next, and the next.... :smile:

HAPPY MONDAY!
  • 77tes
    Happy Monday! I was strong and braved the L.A. freeways to meet up with my sister for our Monday workout. Because of the weather, my sister had a super long drive, so I did a double workout.

@allmannerofthings , thanks for mentioning HASFIT last week. I did a couple of their workouts and downloaded their app. Then when it was raining on Thursday I could find the perfect workout to do during lunch in the empty faculty office. :)

@Toyota100 you are really rocking this Monday!

@PackerFanInGB sounds like some great strategies to incorporate in your workday.
  • themedalist

And it's now Week 4 of our Move It Monday Challenge!

8iev0pbyvqvy.jpg

Three Smart Tips to Fit Exercise into Your Lifestyle Every Monday

Exercise is vital to a healthy life. But, it can be difficult to make time for it with a busy schedule. This week we share some ideas to fit fitness into your daily routine. Motivate yourself this Monday to make time for a workout – and continue throughout the rest of the week.

Exercise guidelines recommend that adults get at least 150 minutes of exercise a week, how you break that up is up to you. Carve out a regular standing time with yourself for fitness and make an appointment. The reason? If you have it in your calendar, you’re more likely to be mentally prepared and show up. Entries like “Swimming” and “Monday Mile” should become regular dates to motivate you to get a move on.

Start this Monday and stick to it throughout the week. When you start the week with fitness, research shows it’s easier to stay motivated and inspired the rest of the week. Schedule time to take a class, go swimming, ride a bike, or go for a Monday Mile. Commit to get moving every Monday.

Small steps can lead to big changes. There are a million things to do every day, and sometimes it feels impossible to get it all done. Scheduling in short bursts of physical activity throughout the day can add up to make a big difference.

Schedule a power lunch. If exercising in the morning or after work isn’t always possible, makeover your lunch hour. Schedule a mid-afternoon yoga class or do a mini-workout at your desk. If it’s nice out, plan a Monday Mile, it’s only 2000 steps and takes less than 20 minutes.

This Monday, make the time to fit fitness into your busy schedule and commit to stick with it throughout the week. For more exercise tips and support, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. We’d love to hear from you! Share your Move It Monday fitness successes.

Original Post: https://www.moveitmonday.org/3-smart-tips-fit-exercise-lifestyle-every-monday/

• themedalist
    I’m back from my trip last week and itching to Move It this Monday! 20 minute walk on my treadmill this morning at a brisk pace. Felt great!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Another ton of snow here so tonight I plan to do aerobic dance and maybe treadmill if I still have it in me! :)
  • MZSTEF4U
    MZSTEF4U Posts: 16 Member
    Going to do a 1/2 hour of dancing when I get home from work.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    65 minutes on the Gazelle this morning and 20 minutes of yoga.
  • 77tes
    Having a standing appointment to exercise on Monday morning is so great. I definitely "Ink it." I also have walking conferences with my students because they always want to talk after class, and I have to head across campus at that time.

Today, I met my sister at Curves, did a slightly longer workout, then we walked to a store so that she could buy Valentines for her grandkids and walked to the post office to mail them. Great way to start the week.

I did my yoga and posture exercises before heading out to meet my sister. GREAT MONDAY!
  • peak2beach
    peak2beach Posts: 1,699 Member
    My Move It Monday workout was a walk out in our winter wonderland! It was fun and I did another walk today. The website challenge that I most want to work on is making sure to get up and move more frequently during the day.