The 2019 Move It Monday Challenge!

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hi! It’s great to see all the new members here this week. Welcome! Time to gear up for Monday and beyond!!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Our first challenge is intended to bring us all on the same page and introduce the Move It Monday concept a bit further. There are a several suggested activities -- let us know how you got moving this Monday!

bo1d0el4d1qu.jpg

Use Monday to Stay on the Right Track

New routines can take some time to get going. If you’ve been trying to make your day more active, use this Monday to check in on your progress and to stay on track. Did you use January to make a new resolution? Consider Mondays instead! You can resolve to keep moving and try new activities every week. You haven’t fallen off the wagon yet! You might just need to make some minor adjustments.

Staying active can become second nature to you no matter what your fitness level is. In the beginning, keep track of how often you get up and move throughout the day and how much time you spend moving.

Experts recommend 150 minutes of moderate physical activity a week, or about 30 minutes per day, five days a week. You can build up to that kind of goal over time. For now, draw up an hourly schedule and note when you get up and what you do. If you find that you’re sitting for a long period of time, find an activity that will help break up that block of time.

You can use every Monday to reset your practice, add to it, or change it up if you want to do something more or less challenging. Changing your lifestyle is not a sprint – it can be done incrementally, over the course of time. You can hit the “reset” button every Monday and reach new goals every week!

Here are a few simple exercises that will keep you moving throughout the day:

Mini workouts: Whenever you can find a few moments, do quick exercises in short bursts that will get your heart beating and muscles moving!

Chair yoga: If you can’t leave your desk, take some time to stretch and prevent yourself from getting stiff. Bonus: A little yoga will help you reduce stress!

Walking: Walking is real exercise. Consider organizing or walking a Monday Mile. But if you can’t find the time to do that, take short walks throughout the day. Park your car further away from your destination instead of finding the closest spot. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk during conversations or meetings at work. Every step counts!

It’s never too late to start being more active on a daily basis. Monday is a great day to start adding a little bit more movement to your day that can continue through the rest of the week!

Connect with us to learn more Move It Monday tips on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Original post: https://www.moveitmonday.org/monday-right-track/

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks @themedalist for all you do!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Thanks @themedalist for all you do!

You’re welcome! I thoroughly enjoy this group. We can’t help but get older, but if we cultivate healthy habits and embrace personal growth, we can get better as we age.

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I had a great plan of action for moving more every single day and followed through from Oct 1-December 18, and then I allowed the holidays and responsibilities to take me off course. I’m excited to use the Move It Monday Week 1 to get back on track. The detour ends now! Thanks, Denise.
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation @themedalist !! Great suggestions on here.
  • debk0718
    debk0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After traveling the past two weeks for work, and another 9 day trip coming up on the 30th, I need this!! I've been trying to get in steps and workouts, but it's starting to become more of a challenge and struggle with the crazy hours. On days when I am home and at the office, I'll continue to only take the 3 flights of stairs rather than the elevator. I try to do that at hotels as well, as long as I'm not on the 10th floor.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Week 1 Challenge DONE! 15 Minute walk on my treadmill! Happy Move It Monday Everyone!
  • ToesLikeBeans
    ToesLikeBeans Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    T25 complete for today!
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    The sidewalks are too slippery for any extra walking - so I am doing the chair exercises - its helping to keep me warm in my office.
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am tethered to my phone so doing chair yoga, stretching and extra stationary steps at my desk are a few to stay more active. I am also do a check list to keep up after work and weekends. I appreciate all the help I can get.

218.4/220.2/200
  • Empress62
    Empress62 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I got it in 15 minutes of Just Dance on the Xbox, and 3500 steps today (starting small). I had to do two short walks to get all the steps, but I got them in. Yay!

I appreciate this group, I hope it helps me stay motivated.