The 2019 Move It Monday Challenge!

Options

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,975 Member
    Options
    So here is the workout I did during lunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sABksZVYEG8

@PackerFanInGB , I hope spring finally shows up for you folks with all the cold and snow. Hope staying home and out of that weather makes you feel better.

@PinkyPan1 , you are doing so great!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    23 minutes classical stretch and 3 or 4 five minute walks from room to room and in circles to get my steps in each hour.

@77tes High five from Nebraska, too! And I SO agree with PackerFaninGB’s comments!
    @PackerFanInGB I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes walking indoors is the right choice.
    @PinkyPan1 another good day for you👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    And last, but not least, @themedalist thank you for the information and encouragement you provide. You make a difference in many peoples lives❣️😍
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    More treadmill walking today, but hey, I like it! Like @PackerFanInGB, I can’t wait for the ice and snow to be gone. It wears on me always having to worry about slipping on the ice and snow.
  • themedalist
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Happy Move It Monday! We are coming down to the homestretch of our Move It Monday Challenge!

ox1d6mxon8bm.jpg

This Monday, Try Under-the-Table Exercises to Energize You During Drawn-out Meetings – A Guest Blog from Sarah Kuester

Research shows that office workers spend 65% to 75% of their workday sitting. Some of this sitting takes place during long meetings, where participants may feel inhibited to stand up and stretch.

How then can you give yourself a break when you can’t get up from the table? Sneak in under-the-table exercises, says Sarah Kuester, public health advisor, Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity and Obesity, at CDC because it’s important to break up periods of sedentary time with physical activity.

Sarah demonstrated these covert exercises and led meeting attendees to join in under the table, one leg at a time.

Other exercises:
    • Tighten tush
    • Circle feet
    • Lift leg and hold
    • Bicycle in slow motion
    • Press knees in and out
    • Repeat periodically during a meeting (unless you can get up and stand)

The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that for substantial health benefits adults should do at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity a week or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity or an equivalent combination. Aerobic activity should be performed for at least 10 minutes at a time. Worksites can support employees in many ways to meet these guidelines. Employers can help support physical activity by doing the following:
    • Provide access to facilities, locations, and programs to support physical activity.
    • Use policies and incentives to encourage physical activity, such as flextime, paid activity breaks, or discounts for off-site exercise facilities.
    • Establish walking clubs or competitions that encourage and motivate employees to meet individual or team goals.
    • Consider walkability and access to public transit when selecting new worksite locations.
    • Engage in community planning efforts to make the communities around worksites more walkable.
    • Encourage walking meetings where 2 or 3 people can walk while discussing business.

Find us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!

Original Post: https://www.moveitmonday.org/monday-try-table-exercises-energize-drawn-meetings-guest-blog-sarah-kuester/

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    7.33 miles golfing this afternoon.
  • nebslp
    Options
    23 minutes of Miranda Esmonde-White's Classical Stretch stomach flattening workout.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Got to do my regular Monday workout at Curves with my sister, bookended by a walk before and after.

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    January 21: 2 WAH miles plus additional workouts on line, & Flexibility Walk Blaster (75 minutes)
    January 28: 70 minutes neighborhood walk. Lifting, carrying, walking, crawling etc while helping with granddaughter
    February 4: 85 minutes park trail walk. Lifting, carrying, walking, crawling etc while helping with granddaughter
    February 11: 3 miles of 5 Mega Miles (1,4,5)
    February 18: 4 hours yard/ garden working
    February 25: 4 miles Miracle Miles (strength band), Flexibility Walk Blaster
    March 4: 3 miles: 5K with a Twist, Gazelle, Flexibility Walk Blaster
    March 11: 1 mile Happy Walk, 20 minutes beginning step Jenny Ford, LS Firm 30, Gazelle 15 minutes, Flexibility Walk Blaster, Garden 45 minutes.

Hi all, Finally, here is my list of 2019 Move It Monday Challenge! workouts finally caught up to date. I wanted to finish reading the posts as well as each Monday's introduction before posting or I would get distracted and forget to. I have been very encouraged whenever I have stopped in here to read.
    Move it Mondays continue to be an anchor for my weekly motivation for how I want to start my week off, or to start over again if the past week was difficult in any way. I love how Monday now can always become a new start no matter what. I have a New Week day instead of only a New Years day to restart or recommit wherever things have started to slip for me. Especially, in some areas, whenever I finally realize it [again].

Below is what I wrote back on March 1st when I posted my February's walk log at Walk at Home walk challenges group explains some of what has been going on with me, especially the part about my "NetFlix chocolatey bingeathons" :noway: :

"I am way late reading through February's posts as I had been still busy helping with my (9 month old) baby granddaughter earlier this month, and then trying to catch up on things when I came back, and then the weather was amazing for a while so I got in over my head starting on the yard/garden spring clean-up/ much needed revitalization project, and then quite honestly I got caught binging on some chocolate and NetFlix instead of checking in on February, and... I was not feeling so well either, and so I just couldn't quite get motivated to be on the computer for any length of time, and so the month kept going by..... "

Happy Monday!
    :flowerforyou:
  • nebslp
    Options
    @texasgardnr Your post has me smiling! Your workouts sound great...the kind that you will never get bored with, for sure!
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @nebslp,
    nebslp wrote: »
    @texasgardnr Your post has me smiling! Your workouts sound great...the kind that you will never get bored with, for sure!

Thank you! I do try to purposely change them up one way or another. It does help me continue on.

• themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »

Smiling was my reaction too!
  • themedalist
    Options
    And for our final Move It Monday challenge of this series (though Move It Monday will continue on this thread!), let's do a Monday mile! As the weather warms, setting up a regular Monday walk date with a friend, neighbor, or family member is a GREAT habit to cultivate!

4sv2y690yr4l.jpg

Monday Mile: How to Organize a Walking Program

Re-discover your commitment to exercise by organizing a Monday Mile walking program. Create a one-mile group walk, jog, or run with family, friends, or colleagues to make your Mondays memorable!

Walking in groups is highly beneficial for you and your entire community. The many benefits of a walking program include being outside, connecting to old and new faces, socializing, improved general fitness, weight loss, and a consistent exercise schedule. Walking in groups also has mental benefits. In a UK study, participants were found to enjoy themselves and experience improved moods.

How do you get started? Let us help! Here’s a list of everything you’ll need to get going and start a #MondayMile walking program.
    • Map your Monday Mile: Pick a starting point for your group to meet. Easily create a mile-long walking route using MapMyWalk, Gmap-Pedometer, or Google Maps.
    • Announce your Monday Mile: If your school or workplace allows it, send an announcement via interoffice or school-wide email. Also consider creating a Facebook group and encourage participants to join.
    • Mark your route: Consider marking your route with Monday Mile Markers: Place markers at the ¼, ½, ¾ and 1 mile points.
    • Meet and Mile: Show up on time, greet participants, and enjoy your Monday Mile!
    • Log those Monday Miles: Keep track of Monday Miles and exercise completed during the rest of the week. Even if you fall short of the 150-minute weekly activity goal, the next Monday is another chance to start again.
    • Thank everyone for participating: Send an email thanking everyone for taking part and encouraging others to attend next Monday. Post a thank-you on Facebook and tell members to share posts about the walk.
    • Encourage healthy competition: Organize teams of walkers or encourage individual group members to compete against each other to see who can walk the most each week. It’s easy to keep track of walking data using smartphone apps.

Click here to see a Monday Mile starter kit packed with digital and printable resources, photos, tips, and compelling research to share with your friends, family, school, or office.

Beat the routine of exercise by connecting with your community, having fun, and making the decision to be healthy, together. Monday is about renewing your connection to better choices. Start a Monday Mile and watch the benefits multiply. It should only take 20 minutes!

Tell us about it! Take a photo of your Monday Mile activities, post it to social, use #MondayMile and tag us @MoveItMonday

Monday Mile Toolkit: http://www.moveitmonday.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Monday-Mile-Toolkit-2015.pdf

Original Post: https://www.moveitmonday.org/monday-mile-organize-walking-group/
  • themedalist
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Big favor to ask! We'd really like your feedback on this 9 week Move It Monday challenge. Could you please take a minute and submit a post challenge survey? We appreciate your comments, suggestions, and ideas! Thanks very much!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PostMondayChallenge
  • 77tes
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I added a Monday mile (actually 1.7 miles) to an expanded workout with my sister this morning. Great start to the week.

I also submitted the survey. Go Move it Mondays!
  • themedalist
    edited March 2019
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    I added a Monday mile (actually 1.7 miles) to an expanded workout with my sister this morning. Great start to the week.

I also submitted the survey. Go Move it Mondays!

Congrats on the Monday Miles and thanks for submitting the survey!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I did the Monday Mile today and it’s going to become a regular Monday feature as the weather warms!

Happy Monday Everyone!
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    4.69 miles on the Gazelle today
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    March 18: 1 hour neighborhood walk, then later in the afternoon I did 3 hours yard & garden (spring looks like it just might be coming back again!)

Today I was inspired to take my walking outside because of the Move it Monday post for today <3 .

@themedalist, Thank you for all the information, ideas, and infographics that you faithfully posted every week on the challenge forum! Now that the challenge is over we can always randomly re-read them for future ideas or encouragement for the current week, or just to refresh our memory about what had been shared previously.

It was fun to have a new emphasis every week, whether or not it fit into that particular week for me. The ideas will always be there now.

Thank you so much for all the work that you did for this challenge to make it happen. And happen it did!! These weeks went by so quickly!

I just now submitted the survey o:):laugh:

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed all the different challenges each week! Lots of great information! I finally was able to get outside and take a walk tonight...happy dog, happy me! 47 minutes of activity. :smile:
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    70 minutes on the Gazelle and 20 minutes yoga.