WAIST AWAYS -- February 2019

Options

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @mari_moulin

Oh I do empathize! I have not lost nearly as much weight as you have (congratulations! That really is the most important (and a GREAT) accomplishment!) Still, the loose saggy skin I see in the mirror is a downer. Mine is not sufficient to even consider surgery, just a vanity issue. But, in your case, and considering that you are considerably younger than I am, I think that surgery is a good option if it is possible. From what I understand, excessive loose skin also becomes a health issue long term, too.

So ... continue to relish your accomplishments and best wishes for a positive outcome in your surgery consultations.

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Talk it out Tuesday
    Mari- sending sympathies your way!
    Jan- good luck, it's only a week so the damage will hopefully be bearable!
    So I'm feeling very sorry for myself. Today I finally got my act together and attempted the ab challenge. I couldn't even complete one set! I then tried a plank, which I managed to hold for a grand total of 7 seconds :(
    I guess my stomach is jelly. I can only hope it will improve although at the moment it seems hopeless.
    And here I thought I was quite fit, who was I kidding?
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,214 Member
    Options
    Talk it out Tuesday -

Yep, it's getting towards the middle of the month, and more than loose skin is sagging. I always seem to get this slump in the middle of the month. I lose a lot of energy for keeping on track, tracking, working out -- all the good INGS. I get too good at resting and eating, though! So before we get another foot of snow tonight, I'm going out snowshoeing while it's easy and crusty. Then I'm going to town to run a couple of errands for DH and MIL. Then I'll do today's workout. I know that if I do this, I will feel good. So off I go.

Slumps. How do you deal with them?
  • NikkiDT9211
    NikkiDT9211 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Weigh In
    Week 2
    Nikkidt9211
    Tuesdays
    Previous Week 204.6
    Current Weight 203.8
  • jan110144
    Options
    @Perla4686

Planks are a killer! (At least in my opinion) Question ... are you doing a full upright plank as,shown in the challenge illustration? If yes, you might want to consider starting with a forearm plank (still challenge!) or even staring with a plank from your knees instead of your toes. Start anywhere you can. As yo xan hold a minute or so, move to the morning difficult form. For tge truly committed, there are lots of other mor difficult variations (which I am unlikely to ever experience :smiley: )

I do forearm planks at this point, partially because I am cautious re stress on my shoulders since I have had surgery on both. I started at 15 sec and am.up to 1:40. I may go to straight arm planks once I get to 2 min. Will have to test that out slowly.
  • jan110144
    Options
    @jugar

"Slumps. How do you deal with them?"

First ... I procrastinate (like this morning :smile: ) Then I bargain ... "Ok. Just do 10 minutes then you can quit" Finally. I just go do it ... and usually do the full workout, not just the bargained 10 min.

However, I am getting better at listening to my body and recognize that sometimes it's really not a slump ... it's that my body isctelling me that it needs a rest. If I decide that is what is going on, I just take a break (or do only minimal exercise ... like a 20-min walk)
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    @Perla4686

Planks are a killer! (At least in my opinion) Question ... are you doing a full upright plank as,shown in the challenge illustration? If yes, you might want to consider starting with a forearm plank (still challenge!) or even staring with a plank from your knees instead of your toes. Start anywhere you can. As yo xan hold a minute or so, move to the morning difficult form. For tge truly committed, there are lots of other mor difficult variations (which I am unlikely to ever experience :smiley: )

I do forearm planks at this point, partially because I am cautious re stress on my shoulders since I have had surgery on both. I started at 15 sec and am.up to 1:40. I may go to straight arm planks once I get to 2 min. Will have to test that out slowly.

I'm afraid it was a forearm plank (on my elbows) :(
    I won't give up though, I'll try again tomorrow.
    Thanks!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    Talk it out Tuesday
    So I'm feeling very sorry for myself. Today I finally got my act together and attempted the ab challenge. I couldn't even complete one set! I then tried a plank, which I managed to hold for a grand total of 7 seconds :(
    I guess my stomach is jelly. I can only hope it will improve although at the moment it seems hopeless.
    And here I thought I was quite fit, who was I kidding?

There are SOOO many different types of "quite fit"! So tomorrow, on Why Wednesday / NSV reporting day we talk about what we CAN do (that we couldn't before).

You might be like me with very strong legs / cardio. I could jog at a brisk, steady clip on my mini-trampoline for HOURS, and am quite coordinated ....

but can I do a single standard straight-leg push up ..... with hands at floor level ..... (that's the NOT with knees on the floor variety) ..... ummmmm Nope - still can't do that.

Or (unlike me) you may be into heavy lifting and have been working your upper body / lower body .... and can do squats holding what I would consider a re-DICU-lously heavy bar-bell ... that even has additional weights on each end, for pity sake! .... but just haven't been focused on targeted core-strengthening work.

If you REALLY want to work on your planks, there are posters listing progressive plank-hold times that START at about 5 or 10 seconds. You have a benchmark. Tomorrow, go for 8 seconds. Or do seven seconds every time your tv show has a commercial break. And starting on elbows WITH KNEES BENT is considered the easiest. There are Youtube videos about proper form though the various levels of difficulty.

But there are other core-strengthening options too .... like latin dance workouts. I used to belly dance. Let me tell you, belly dance isolations practice is a fantastic core workout but it just doesn't FEEL like exercise when wearing yards and yards of chiffon, and a jingly belt-scarf. hmmmm, I wonder if that old dance skirt fits around my new, slimmer hipline again .....
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    mari- Girl, I feel you. I already told my husband that we need to start saving for my saggy skin removal b/c I know I'm going to have it. I already have a giant pooch that will just be a flabby skin flap once the fat is out of it. Having saggy skin isn't going to stop me from losing, but it's going to suck having to deal with it.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @Perla4686
    I do forearm planks at this point, partially because I am cautious re stress on my shoulders since I have had surgery on both. I started at 15 sec and am up to 1:40. I may go to straight arm planks once I get to 2 min. Will have to test that out slowly.

actually, (baring shoulder issues and the integration of active moves like the "bring hand-weight to shoulder" move of course) I believe I saw somewhere that the progression of plank static hold difficulty for most people from easiest to hardest is
    • Incline against wall / table / progressively lower "riser"
    • elbows and knees bent (forearms and knees on floor)
    • elbows AND legs straight (palms and toes on floor)
    • elbows bent and legs straight (forearms and toes on floor)

and then there are all the other static variants like side and reverse and single-leg etc.

Youtube has videos about this, and there are probably Google Image illustrated charts showing the progressions. So don't take my unsupported word for it.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @jugar

"Slumps. How do you deal with them?"

However, I am getting better at listening to my body and recognize that sometimes it's really not a slump ... it's that my body is telling me that it needs a rest. If I decide that is what is going on, I just take a break (or do only minimal exercise ... like a 20-min walk)

Recognizing the need to incorporate Rest Days IS important. Maybe exercise your meditation / relaxation skills; try a yoga or stretching YouTube routine if you usually do something more intensive.

Healthy activity schedules are like healthy eating plans .... so long as you are "good" 80 to 90 % of the time ..... which works out to ~ 1 rest-day (or less-active "rest day") per week, that will be good for your mind / soul as well as for your body.

And give yourself a break if you are physically ill, of COURSE! That isn't slacking. That is letting the body channel energy to fighting off the bug. If you can shuffle around the hall of the house a bit just for a change of scenery, fine, but keep a reasonable cap on it.
  • jan110144
    Options
    @LiLee2018 I think the "how often to weigh" issue is really interesting ... and that everyone's answer is different. For me, weighing every day made it easier (mentally) to deal with the crazy day-to-day fluctuations. When I was "perfect" the day before and I KNEW that I was on the right path and the scale jumped up a pound or so, it was easy gor me to just say "stupid scale" and keep on going.

On the other hand, when I weighed only one a week and, despite having a "perfect" week, the scale did not budge (or heaven forbid even go up) I would be so disappointed and feel that it just wssn't worth it ... and that would frequently trigger a binge :-(

Bottom line, I think each person needs to answer this question on the way that works best for them,
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options
    MoStacy wrote: »
    t13un5n9nzim.jpeg

I’ll get right to it then 😂

Right beside you! There waiting with a massage.

Steps 2/11- 8,156
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options
    Talk It Out Tuesday: Vent. Tell us about a current or anticipated personal situation or roadblock you need strategies to work around. Give suggestions or even just emotional support and acknowledgement

Exercise is still hard to fit in. I am busy all day taking care of my 9 month old granddaughter, but active exercise minutes are hard to come by. The weather has been terrible so we can’t even get out for walks. I am making some progress increasing my steps recently. I plan on going to the gym today before dinner. But it’s hard. I’m tired after 10 hours with my dear sweet girl. And on top of that she’s sick and teething this week and needs lots of cuddles and holds.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    @micki48 How much does the grandbaby weigh? Doesn't picking her up count as upper body? Could you do reps with her - make it a game? Might be slow but it would be something.
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,787 Member
    Options
    Steps-
    2/12---10,490
  • BMcC9
    Options
    BMcC9
    Feb 12 steps: 9362

(sings)
    "Snow doesn't show signs of stopping,
    but I've got....some corn .... for popping ....
    And since I've no place to gooooo ...... "

I watched Death In Paradise (set on an island "near Guadalupe" while jogging around my "always spring-time" virtual island.
This discussion has been closed.