WAIST AWAYS -- February 2019

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Why Wednesday - why did you decide to sign up? what motivated you to start paying attention to your health? Why are you still at it?

Also, what Non-Scale Victories have you achieved since you started? (since this is our first Why Wednesday, go back as far as you like in NSV comparisons.)
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    February 12 - 10,976
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    FEBRUARY FITNESS CHALLENGE for Team Waistaway!

Name: Mari

Your Personal Challenge:

FITNESS: Complete 5 - 30 minute workouts this week. Any form of workout counts. 🏋🏻‍♀️🏋🏻‍♀️🏋🏻‍♀️

NUTRITION: Stay on or under allowed calories at least 5 days this week. 🍎🍎🍎🍎

HYDRATION: Drink 2 liters of water every single day!!!! 💧💧💧💧

SELF-CARE: Take some time for yourself and read a little each day. 📖📖📖📖

BONUS: Have one bubble bath this week! 🛀🏼

Week 2:

Sun - 💧📖
    Mon - 🏋🏻‍♀️🍎💧📖
    Tue - 🏋🏻‍♀️💧📖
    Wed -
    Thu -
    Fri -
    Sat -

STEP CHALLENGE:

Sun - 7,076
    Mon - 7,660
    Tue - 17,832
    Wed -
    Thu -
    Fri -
    Sat -

DAILY REFLECTIONS:

I had a bad day yesterday. i did much better with steps obviosly and had a good workout in the evening but my food was horrible. I did really well initially with my reset but then i had to go to an appointment with a caterer about food for my birthday party in March and i had not realized there would be tasting involved. It all went downhill from there. It made me super hungry and i came home and had a cream cheese sandwich.....followed by a small bowl of dry cereal, followed by unplanned dinner of steamed wontons. sigh. The scale is still going the right way but i hate when i sabotage myself like this. I hope today goes better.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Talk it Out Tuesday

I am off on a week-long trip to California at the end of next week to visit my sister. On the fun side ... I have lost 50 pounds since I last saw her and she does not know this. It will be great fun to see her reaction.

On the more challenging side will be a week with significantly less activity than normal for me and a week worth of eating where I will have much less control over what I eat. I have 'ordered' what I want to have available for breakfast, so I will be able to start the day off on track. After that, I will have to roll with the punches and make the best decisions I can. I have also figured out how to get in some exercise. So, I think I have done everything I can to try to make it through this relatively unscathed.

This will be my first major challenge since starting maintenance. A good learning experience. I just don't want to come back having gained several pounds. On the positive side, during this journey I have learned to jump right back on plan after having a day of excessive eating, so I am not so concerned about the trip resulting in a major derailment. And, of course, I have MFP friends to hold me accountable.

How exciting. I love when I see someone I haven't seen in awhile and see the shock surprise in their faces. Some people don't like to be told they look great but I LOVE when people tell me how amazing I look etc. After all the sweat blood and tears I need my moment lol. Have fun with your sister and enjoy your time with her. you have learned so much and you will apply it all during this upcoming week.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    Talk it out Tuesday
    Mari- sending sympathies your way!
    Jan- good luck, it's only a week so the damage will hopefully be bearable!
    So I'm feeling very sorry for myself. Today I finally got my act together and attempted the ab challenge. I couldn't even complete one set! I then tried a plank, which I managed to hold for a grand total of 7 seconds :(
    I guess my stomach is jelly. I can only hope it will improve although at the moment it seems hopeless.
    And here I thought I was quite fit, who was I kidding?

We all start somewhere. Just because you couldn't complete something today doesn't mean you wont a week from now a month from now a year from now. Its all about getting stronger as we go. Do what you can push yourself without hurting yourself and you will see progress. 7 second plank today, 10 tomorrow, 15 in 4 days....it will get there. Keep at it don't give up!
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Talk it out Tuesday -

Yep, it's getting towards the middle of the month, and more than loose skin is sagging. I always seem to get this slump in the middle of the month. I lose a lot of energy for keeping on track, tracking, working out -- all the good INGS. I get too good at resting and eating, though! So before we get another foot of snow tonight, I'm going out snowshoeing while it's easy and crusty. Then I'm going to town to run a couple of errands for DH and MIL. Then I'll do today's workout. I know that if I do this, I will feel good. So off I go.

Slumps. How do you deal with them?

With a little help from your friends......Here grab my hand..Lets keep moving forward. >We wont let some bad days deter us. We've got this.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    Personal challenge- Exercise 4x a week
    2/11- Yes! (upper body)
    2/12- Yes! (lower body)

I can feel my quad muscles finally! They're still little, but they're getting stronger slowly :) I increased my reps for leg extensions today too. Only by 3, but just shows me that I'm getting stronger and I'm more willing to push myself a little more.
    That's one thing I DON'T like about exercising. I don't like that push. I don't like that struggling feeling when you're at the end of a set and need to push through to get in the last of them. Noooooo. I want everything to be easy and not cause a sweat!! lol
    Maybe one day I'll start enjoying it.

Talk It Out Tuesday:

I have to tell myself every day that the scale doesn't always tell the whole truth. Every. Single. Day. The logical part of me knows to not trust the number I see. It could go up or down on any given day, but I still weigh every day and I still get upset when I see the number go up. I was up a pound this morning.
    Felt frustrated, but then I measured my waist. I usually only measure at the beginning of the month so last time wasn't even 2 weeks ago. And I've shrunken down some... so why isn't that enough?? Stupid number on the scale!
    It's so easy to say not to weigh every day but it's difficult giving it up when you're addicted to it. I think that will be one of my goals though. Put the scale up and only bring it out on Monday to weigh in and that's it.
    Maybe I'll go put it in the room over the garage that way it's not so easy to sneak out and weigh myself before then. Actually.... I do think I will do that.

The awful scale does more damage than it does good and i can't keep myself off of it. I also measure tho once a week so I do know i have progress even with the scale decides to be mean to me lol. the scale is crazy addicting. I totally understand how hard it is to stay off. Let us know how it goes getting it out of the way.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Talk It Out Tuesday: Vent. Tell us about a current or anticipated personal situation or roadblock you need strategies to work around. Give suggestions or even just emotional support and acknowledgement

Exercise is still hard to fit in. I am busy all day taking care of my 9 month old granddaughter, but active exercise minutes are hard to come by. The weather has been terrible so we can’t even get out for walks. I am making some progress increasing my steps recently. I plan on going to the gym today before dinner. But it’s hard. I’m tired after 10 hours with my dear sweet girl. And on top of that she’s sick and teething this week and needs lots of cuddles and holds.

I know how hard it can be to get those workouts in. Especially those who have full time jobs, full time school, kids to raise, grandkids to care for etc. You aren't alone and all the efforts you are making whether its 5 minutes here or an extra 500 steps there, its progress and its a step in the right direction so Keep it up you are doing great!
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Why Wednesday - why did you decide to sign up? what motivated you to start paying attention to your health? Why are you still at it? Also, what Non-Scale Victories have you achieved since you started? (since this is our first Why Wednesday, go back as far as you like in NSV comparisons.)

I joined MFP like 5- 6 years ago and did really well losing 70+ lbs. My mom passed away from ovarian cancer and I gained it all back in my grief. 3 years ago after having a had my 3rd child I gained even more weight and struggled to move or do anything at all. when I was in hospital to give birth they couldn't even weigh me on a normal scale. I had to use a special wheelchair scale and I was so embarrassed. A few months after I gave birth I came back on here and started again with a new fire and new determination. I haven't stopped since. i never want to feel that way again, i don't want to cause my husband or family shame, i want to be able to do things with my kids and be around for them for as long as i can.

the best thing i have accomplished since losing the weight is runnin a 5 k for the first time. I've done a few since and have gotten better but that first one was the best....it was also my slowest but its the one that showed me that I CAN!
  • tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Tdrjustus3
    Week 2
    Weigh In day: Monday
    PW: 280
    CW: 279.8
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I know it's not talk-it-out-tuesday but...
    I am baking and find it so difficult to resist when the whole house just smells of heaven...
    I've already eaten 2 nut-caramel pastries and they just stare at me and beckon...
    Help!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,214 Member
    Options
    I am baking and find it so difficult to resist when the whole house just smells of heaven...
    I've already eaten 2 nut-caramel pastries and they just stare at me and beckon...
    Help!

I feel your pain! (and pleasure...) - I did the same thing Monday night. Baking for my grown up son (he's still my youngest, and I spoil him). They were really good. But they were not worth it. It is so hard to tell yourself before stuffing them in your mouth that you will not feel good afterwards. But put one or more of us in your head instead of that pastry in your mouth - we will warn you and maybe override the urge! Next time, you will resist o:)
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Offitgoes
    Week 2
    Weigh In day: Wednesday
    PW: 177.8
    CW: 179
    Yikes - I know where that came from. errrr:(
  • jugar
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Why Wednesday - why did you decide to sign up? what motivated you to start paying attention to your health? Why are you still at it?

Also, what Non-Scale Victories have you achieved since you started? (since this is our first Why Wednesday, go back as far as you like in NSV comparisons.)

I first signed up in December 2010, but did not really get past short bursts of enthusiasm for over a year. I was always good at the short term commitment, but as soon as the honeymoon ended, so did all the good changes I made. In 2012, I got serious and slowly things improved. I met a lot of helpful people on MFP, and also stopped hiding. I stopped pretending or just complaining about how I "couldn't" lose weight, and got down to business. I discovered intervals, weight training, and eating less like the large guys in my life and more like the rather small human I am. I always hated being just over 5' tall, but now I kind of enjoy identifying as small (and fierce!).

My NSVs are all about feeling strong and not having the complaints so many people of my age have. I'm healthier and stronger at 65 than I was at 50, and hope to be like Jan and still riding my horse at 80 and playing the flute forever. I have a new project with a composer and a bunch of combat veterans that I hope will turn into some powerful music. It will combine the stories they cannot speak of hidden by morse code in the instrumental lines, their feelings and the open parts of their stories in the harmonies and vocal lines, and each one will get a personal piece of music performed by an eclectic mixture of jazz, classical, and rock musicians. But physically, I love feeling a super strong and tight core, working constantly on balance and control, and zipping up those clothes I never could have worn before starting this journey.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Why Wednesday - why did you decide to sign up? what motivated you to start paying attention to your health? Why are you still at it? Also, what Non-Scale Victories have you achieved since you started? (since this is our first Why Wednesday, go back as far as you like in NSV comparisons.)

I joined MFP a few years ago. I have not lost a lot of weight on MFP (about 20), but during a time of real personal stress, MFP and being in groups like this one kept me from gaining a lot of weight. I will have ongoing stress (don't we all) and having this tool and a great group like this will help me stick to my health plans.

NSV - I think the biggest thing is my improved level of fitness. Although I am taking a break right now to recover from the PE, I think being more fit has allowed me to rebound faster than I might have, had I not been doing HIIT and decent amount of walking. It has also helped me keep a positive attitude and improved my mood.

Thanks again for such a great group.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Update, doing well, food a bit off this week but it is Wednesday and am tightening up again today. It has been snowing solidly and my husband was back in hospital overnight this week, so less walking for me this week. But hopefully back at a bit more in the next couple of days. Thanks for your continued support and have a great week everyone!
  • jugar
    Options
    FEBRUARY FITNESS CHALLENGE for Team Waistaway!

Name: Liselyn

Your Personal Challenge:

FITNESS: Complete the last 2 weeks of 8 week program. Ends February 25. EVERY DAY!
    Go snowshoeing or other outdoor fun and games 5 days.
    NUTRITION: Stay on or under allowed calories at least 5 days this week.
    HYDRATION: Drink 1.5 litres water minimum.
    ALCOHOL: No alcohol 5 days this week.

Week 2:
    Sun - all OK.
    Mon - all OK, but drank beer.
    Tue - missed workout, but did moderator's ab challenge!
    Wed -
    Thu -
    Fri -
    Sat -

STEP CHALLENGE:
    Sun - 3606
    Mon - 6372
    Tue - 9218
    Wed -
    Thu -
    Fri -
    Sat -

DAILY REFLECTIONS:
    I'm going to steal Mari's format here, and post it every day. I have been keeping track of the team's steps and all, but not posting my own here. My steps are not generally impressive, but I live in the middle of the woods, there is snow everywhere, and ice everywhere else, so long walking is not possible. I refuse to walk in a mall, and don't have access to a treadmill, so that's just the way it is. Snowshoeing is fewer steps, but ho boy! They are intense.

The hardest part is not having a nice microbrew in the evening. It fits into my calories, but I don't like to have one every day. I grew up with homebrew, and I still enjoy good beer. I don't drink wine or any hard alcohol at all anymore, but find it hard to let go of my favourite form of carbs :smiley:
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Personal challenge- Exercise 4x a week
    2/11- Yes! (upper body)
    2/12- Yes! (lower body)
    2/13- No (rest)

Why Wednesday-

I joined this challenge b/c I like the accountability. I like having a place to go where others know the struggles you're going through.

What motivated me... The stress chest pains made me finally wake up. I knew I had to do something, but that really kicked my butt to finally do something about it. I NEED to get healthier for my kids. I NEED to get healthier for ME and I'm still going strong because I'm tired of being unhealthy and fat. I'm tired of wasting my life away being s incredibly unhappy with my body and I know this little bit of time to get thinner and healthier is a drop in the bucket.
    NSV- Going from a tight size 18 to loose fitting 14s. My weight loss has been slow and frustrating at times, but it's coming along :) And just sticking to a diet! Actually not fighting with myself to cheat constantly like I used to do on other diets. I'm still here and I'm still going as strong as I was at the beginning :)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Help!

I feel your pain! (and pleasure...) - I did the same thing Monday night. Baking for my grown up son (he's still my youngest, and I spoil him). They were really good. But they were not worth it. It is so hard to tell yourself before stuffing them in your mouth that you will not feel good afterwards. But put one or more of us in your head instead of that pastry in your mouth - we will warn you and maybe override the urge! Next time, you will resist o:)

Talk-It Outs aren't restricted to one day a week!

Everybody .... give a shout out for help / encouragement / support .... or else vent about something whenever you need to.

The Tuesday Theme is just to encourage people to actually post that things aren't perfect, so that they can tap into the wider circle of experience we can collectively provide, instead of feeling that they need to hide, or that"everyone ELSE is making progress; don't want to bring a downer to the team spirit". NOT having your voice in our thread at all diminishes us more.

And in your specifics, @Perla4686 , let me echo what @jugar said! We are your virtual moral support team. Let us (individually or collectively) become the inner supportive voice inside your head ...

Here's an idea .... Next baking day, plan your calories-for-the-day to test ONE of them .... and put MOST of them straight from the cooling tray to a container to the freezer.

Before next baking day, maybe stock up on freezer-strength storage containers or bags (if you don't already have them) ... set them out and handy before you even start collecting ingredients on the counter, and pack as the goodies cool.

This discussion has been closed.