• bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Steps for the 10th - 10456
  • angielove88
    angielove88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    UTMom81 wrote: »
    @UTMom81 omg. Mountain climbers are the death of me...and maybe some other ones at the moment. They've gotten a bit easier to to as I've lost a few pounds.

I just do them slow and steady. And not too many at a time. I don’t do the jumps between like some folks can. But I too am getting stronger! Feels good, doesn’t it?

Yes! I can do a few with the jumps but then I'll slow down and then go back to jumping. It does feel great after though! 😊
  • angielove88
    angielove88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Saturday 3/9 steps: 6,454 not as bad as I thought considering most of the day spent in a car traveling.

Sunday 3/10 steps: 10,633 got most of my steps in once we got into the city.

Weekend check in:
    Calories : over. This was my mini vacation and visiting with my best friend so I did overindulge a bit.
    Water : low
    Exercise: none this weekend :/

Tomorrow will be traveling back home. If I get back early enough I can do a 30 min workout routine and get back to my usual workouts on Tuesday. Also Monday is my weight in and I'm afraid this weekend might have put me behind. But I know that I deserve a little break and I can jump back into it as soon as I get back.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Steps:
    9/3 6586
    active minutes 55
    10/3 11888
    active minutes 65
  • UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Steps for Sunday, 3/10 = 10,842
  • UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Appalachian Trail Mission Slimpossibles Thru Hike Step Challenge

Distance so far: 350 miles

Lookouts, Balds, and Hot Springs, Oh MY!

After resting and enjoying some of the sites in Gatlinburg, we shoulder our packs again. We hitchhike back to Newfound Gap where we got off, and start hiking north again on the AT. We will be in the Smokies for another 30-some miles, but only four miles from Newfound Gap, we come upon a little side trail that says “Charlie’s Bunion” and decide to take the quick detour. We will be SO glad we did. After only about 100 yards on the side trail, we notice a massive outcropping of rock pointing almost straight up out of the mountain. Scrambling up it, we will be blessed with more of those life-changing views, those views which tell you quickly just how small, and even inconsequential, we and our little lives really are! This is a busy place, heavily visited since it’s only four miles from the road and offers these exquisite vistas, but we don’t mind sharing. Everyone gets a turn at climbing up the rock and getting that photo of you looking out over those views. On a windy day most people do not stand up. Most will sit on the top if the winds are blowing, because it would be really easy to be blown right off of Charlie’s Bunion, and it's a long way down.

ldmbxbv9nuu0.jpg

Charlie’s Bunion is a great place for a mid-morning snack, so we sit down on the rocks and pull out a bar or some nuts and enjoy the views while we take a break.

hd5d06r7i47d.jpg

Then we continue to walk. We will climb several more peaks before leaving the Smokies, but we must make one more quick detour before we leave. Almost to the northern end of the Smokies, we see another sign that says, “Mount Cammerer--.6”. Most thru-hikers choose NOT to do the extra 1.2 miles (.6 to the tower and then back), but if you’re hiking with me, we will go to Cammerer! It is my favorite structure in the entire Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Mt. Cammerer Fire Lookout was built by men of the Civilian Conservation Corp in 1937, using stone which was hand-cut from the very mountaintop on which it sits.

3n0rdx11dgkj.jpg

The beautifully cut stone creates an octagonal lookout which was built right on the massive rocks which made up the summit of Mt. Cammerer. This ridge required no steel tower rising up into the sky because the views from the summit alone provided ample monitoring for fire in the nearby ridges and valleys. This lookout was manned in two-week alternating shifts up until 1960. Can you imagine “camping” in this lookout for two whole weeks? Where do I sign up?

4uvs7m0ae2co.jpg

5qdhehpjse0o.jpg

Back on the trail, we make our way out of the Smokies and begin climbing up Snowbird Mountain to Max Patch. Max Patch is one of many “balds,” large grassy areas which dot these ridges in the Southern Appalachians.

ich06lvdc2h5.jpg

No one really knows the full story behind the balds, but it is known that folks who lived in the mountains would herd their cattle to the balds in the summer time to take advantage of the grasses, helping to keep the area bald over many years. Max Patch is one of the most beautiful and the AT passes directly across it, to our enjoyment!

uqopa5qlhcqb.jpg

Often you will find thru-hikers taking advantage of the sunshine up there by laying in the sun or spreading out their gear that might have gotten wet over previous days. This area gets a lot of rain in the spring, so gear is often wet when they arrive. This is a great place to spread everything out in the sun and rest for a couple hours while it dries out.

k7siepoguj5h.jpg

After only another day or two, we come to Hot Springs, NC, and the AT runs literally right through town. There are AT markers on the sidewalks and many of the businesses in this tiny little town survive off of the hikers that pass through on a regular basis.

sh9zdwzy9yzf.jpg

There really IS a Hot Springs in this town, and some hikers and lots of normal people stay here to enjoy the benefits of a natural hot springs. It’s a real treat for a tired, sore hiker to soak in those naturally warmed waters.

jzm9w2ih5tga.jpg

The final highlight on this part of our journey is another glorious bald known appropriately as Beauty Spot. Beauty Spot is the bald on top of Unaka Mountain, and we want to plan our trekking to be on this bald at sunset. It offers panoramic vistas of the Great Smoky Mountains through which we have just walked and also the peaks and valleys of the North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains. The photo from Beauty Spot speak for itself:

nipss4gwhn0b.jpg

Exercise Challenge: 4 Core Exercises for Backpackers (or anyone else who wants a stronger core)

Packs are heavy and the ground is uneven, so strengthening our core is going to be critical for having the stamina it takes to carry that 30+ pound pack over 2000 miles. This website has four essential ones we can work on this week!

https://www.backpacker.com/skills/core-exercises-for-backpackers
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    jeu6yb34z0yk.jpg

Week 2 MOD challenge! Discussion: 7 steps to never quit again!

TODAY WE DISCUSS STEP 2!! Come on in and give us your thoughts!

Come join our discussion this week!!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731988/week-2-mod-challenge-discussion-7-steps-to-never-quit-again/p1?new=1
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,580 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Steps for 03/10 = 11,599

Also, just in case, here are all my numbers for the week:
    03/04 - 9,654
    03/05 - 3,457
    03/06 - 3,459
    03/07 - 5,974
    03/08 - 10,853
    03/09 - 10,615
    03/10 - 11,599
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Sunday Check-in
    Food: under
    Water: on target
    Exercise: 45 minutes treadmill, 23 minute outdoor evening walk

Monday Plans
    1. Food planning, shopping, prep
    2. Food on target
    3. Water/Coffee/Herbal Tea - lots
    4. Exercise - martial arts class, an outdoor walk
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Username: AustinRuadhain
    Weigh-in Week: Week 2
    Weigh-in Day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 146.2
    Today's Weight: 145.3 :smile:
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Sort of a check in. I’m sick so not up to anything really. Funny though my appetite hasn’t seemed to leave me 🙄 but I’m sick enough that I don’t want to make anything to eat so pretty certain my calories are under. Have been snacking mostly, on healthy choices because they are easy so that is ok with me. We did get some yummy take out tonight (Philly steak poutine). I had a few bites and I’m just not feeling it. Blessing in disguise I guess.

On another note, I am quickly approaching my original goal weight but having had so much success since joining this group I feel I want to continue to lose more. I’m actually pretty pumped realizing that I might actually get into clothing in the single digits! Haven’t been that small since grade school! I am getting ahead of myself but a girl can dream. (Perhaps it’s the cold meds talking right now. Lmao) If I accomplish this then my next goal will be to see if I can come off my blood pressure meds. 🤞🏼

You can do it, you are focused and resilient, even when you have faced challenges, can't wait until you report back that you're into single digits!!!!
  • tess5036
    Options
    Sunday check in
    Calories; over
    Water; over
    Exercise; 45 mins spin
    Tomorrow cardio!!!

Steps; 7,012
  • JenAWhite
    JenAWhite Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Monday Weigh In
    JenAWhite
    Monday, Week 2
    Previous:141
    Current: 141

I feel that I'm back on the way down, so hopeful for next week.
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Sunday 3/10
    Track: Yes
    Calories: Under
    Exercise:none
    so far today 120 mins of aquasize and 30 min swimming next finally warm outside to go for a walk
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Steps 11/3 7865
  • tess5036
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Monday check in
    Calories; way under
    Water; over
    Exercise; 30 mins spin, 60 mins Zumba, 60 mins BodyCombat, treadmill, rowing, weights, knackered!
    Tomorrow; careful on the carbs

Steps a20,381
  • Jactop
    Jactop Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Username: Jactop
    Previous Weight: 214.2
    Today's Weight: 210
  • tess5036
    Options
    Jactop wrote: »
    Username: Jactop
    Previous Weight: 214.2
    Today's Weight: 210

Fantastic loss!?!! Well earned as well !!!!
This discussion has been closed.