Replies

• dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    @hansep0012. Love it!!!!
  • smat52
    smat52 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies thanks I was doing that, but they're all marked private. I agree about the news feed and will just remark in the group setting. Have a good day!
  • stefsc1
    stefsc1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Stefani, and I'm 30 years old. I avoided the forums and adding any friends for the first 6 months of tracking calories (even went so far as to remove friends I still had from my last time on here in 2014), because I feared that feeling 'watched' would make me less honest with myself, but I'm in stride now and am feeling more outgoing. I've lost 80 pounds since April, taking me from 397 lb to 317. I'm confident that I can reach the 100lbs lost mark by the end of the year!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    stefsc1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm Stefani, and I'm 30 years old. I avoided the forums and adding any friends for the first 6 months of tracking calories (even went so far as to remove friends I still had from my last time on here in 2014), because I feared that feeling 'watched' would make me less honest with myself, but I'm in stride now and am feeling more outgoing. I've lost 80 pounds since April, taking me from 397 lb to 317. I'm confident that I can reach the 100lbs lost mark by the end of the year!

Hi @stefsc1 Stefani,

Welcome to LL.

You have made some amazing progress so far!

I don't really push the external accountability concept here. I am not sure if any of the LL members would be interested in that or not so currently no one really watches each other for anything more than support and guidance.

I look forward to you contributing.
  • stefsc1
    stefsc1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies Oh, the 'watched' feeling was entirely in my own head! Especially since we have the ability to set our diaries as private. I just knew from past experience that I may not want to log everything as honestly as possible if I felt there was an audience. Now that I'm confident in what I'm doing and have developed my habits, I'm eager to make some friends here. :) Thanks for the welcome!
  • Penguinswaddlenotme
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jen, 34. I have over 100lbs to lose to get to the healthy weight suggested. I'm currently 306. I just got engaged a few weeks ago and I'm still in that afterglow. Four months ago I had a big bump in the road while making good strides and I messed up my knee (torn Meniscus) and I had surgery in August.

This week, my FH and I are getting back on track to tracking our foods and staying within our daily calorie goals. Next week, we plan to start out workout routine. Just going to walk on the treadmill and work on my cardio for the most part, but I picked up my old core balance ball from my parent's place and plan on inflating it, and work on my core as well as do some arm work with weights.

While my FH and I are working on setting up a healthy lifestyle to get us healthier, the wedding next October is a motivation as well. I just need to remember it's one step at a time!

• NovusDies
    Options
    stefsc1 wrote: »
    @NovusDies Oh, the 'watched' feeling was entirely in my own head! Especially since we have the ability to set our diaries as private. I just knew from past experience that I may not want to log everything as honestly as possible if I felt there was an audience. Now that I'm confident in what I'm doing and have developed my habits, I'm eager to make some friends here. :) Thanks for the welcome!

I have heard some stories that make me think that some "friends" can take it a bit far though. I had one send me a PM because they thought I had been inactive for a period of time. The reality is I just do not allow any of my information to post to the newsfeed. Since I never look there I adjusted all the settings so people would not be out there "Liking" exercise, weight lost, streaks, etc for no purpose.

You probably weren't being watched but who really knows on the internets.

Anyway the best part of your post is that you are feeling confident now. It also took me about 6 months to relax and finally realize this was not like past attempts that failed. Until then I denied even trying to lose when someone asked even when my weight loss was painfully obvious.
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jen, 34. I have over 100lbs to lose to get to the healthy weight suggested. I'm currently 306. I just got engaged a few weeks ago and I'm still in that afterglow. Four months ago I had a big bump in the road while making good strides and I messed up my knee (torn Meniscus) and I had surgery in August.

This week, my FH and I are getting back on track to tracking our foods and staying within our daily calorie goals. Next week, we plan to start out workout routine. Just going to walk on the treadmill and work on my cardio for the most part, but I picked up my old core balance ball from my parent's place and plan on inflating it, and work on my core as well as do some arm work with weights.

While my FH and I are working on setting up a healthy lifestyle to get us healthier, the wedding next October is a motivation as well. I just need to remember it's one step at a time!

Hi @Penguinswaddlenotme,

Welcome to LL and CONGRATULATIONS on the engagement/upcoming wedding. You are going to be so happy you have given yourself time to get into a good routine before the wedding planning craziness kicks in (unless it already has).

One step at a time. One day at a time. One small change at a time.

We are pretty relaxed here so jump in anywhere.
  • Penguinswaddlenotme
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Hi @Penguinswaddlenotme,

Welcome to LL and CONGRATULATIONS on the engagement/upcoming wedding. You are going to be so happy you have given yourself time to get into a good routine before the wedding planning craziness kicks in (unless it already has).

One step at a time. One day at a time. One small change at a time.

We are pretty relaxed here so jump in anywhere.
    [/quote]

Thank you! My mind is already spinning, but I'm just getting started with the Wedding stuff. probably next month will start Crazy Time!

• NovusDies
    Options

Thank you! My mind is already spinning, but I'm just getting started with the Wedding stuff. probably next month will start Crazy Time!

Since I am sure I am invited and you will want to know I will take the vegetarian option at the reception.
  • jenconv
    jenconv Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m Jen, I’m 42, 5’3 and I’m currently 221 down from a high of 246 at the start of June. I still have at least 80lbs to go until I’m a healthy BMI and I know that it’s going to be a long slog. As well as being overweight I have hyper mobility syndrome, active Tarlov cysts in my spine and I’m undergoing tests for fibromyalgia so I’m a catch 😜

I’ve tried pretty much all the diets under the sun but it’s only calorie counting that seems to work for me. Earlier this year I made the decision to change job so I can concentrate on my health so instead of a 3.5hr daily round trip commute it’s now a 20 minute walk, it’s less stress and I actually have time to exercise and cook/eat proper meals again.

Instead of purely weight related goals I’ve also set ‘function goals’ and I met my first one last week when I managed to walk up and down the steep hills in Porto for a week without my knees/back causing issues like they have in the past😀

I have another holiday booked for next June so hopefully I’ll be at or near to whatever I decide my goal weight before we fly.
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    @jenconv Wow! I couldn't imagine a 3.5 hour daily commute. I would quit, too! I love the idea of being able to walk to work. I walk 45 minutes from work. but it's too dark in the a.m. right now to walk TO work. Hopefully in the spring. I, too, have tried every diet under the sun. I just track calories, sodium, and try to keep the carbs below 94g until my next dr. appt. My A1c was a little higher than they wanted so I'm tracking that. Welcome and good luck.

Where is the trip in June?
  • NovusDies
    Options
    jenconv wrote: »
    Hi I’m Jen, I’m 42, 5’3 and I’m currently 221 down from a high of 246 at the start of June. I still have at least 80lbs to go until I’m a healthy BMI and I know that it’s going to be a long slog. As well as being overweight I have hyper mobility syndrome, active Tarlov cysts in my spine and I’m undergoing tests for fibromyalgia so I’m a catch 😜

I’ve tried pretty much all the diets under the sun but it’s only calorie counting that seems to work for me. Earlier this year I made the decision to change job so I can concentrate on my health so instead of a 3.5hr daily round trip commute it’s now a 20 minute walk, it’s less stress and I actually have time to exercise and cook/eat proper meals again.

Instead of purely weight related goals I’ve also set ‘function goals’ and I met my first one last week when I managed to walk up and down the steep hills in Porto for a week without my knees/back causing issues like they have in the past😀

I have another holiday booked for next June so hopefully I’ll be at or near to whatever I decide my goal weight before we fly.

Hi @jenconv,

Welcome to LL.

I like function goals. They say that weight only related goals do not have enough "hold" over a lot of us. We are supposed to think in bigger terms and I would say that you are definitely doing that.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @stefsc1 Welcome, Stefani :smiley:
    There are quite a few topics to check out for this group, jump in as it suits you - or not, lol.
    You mentioned having some habits that are working for you, congrats! Me, I am still working on kicking some habits that do not support my new lifestyle and goals to the curb.
  • hansep0012
    Options
    @Penguinswaddlenotme Welcome! :smiley:
    Weddings are such an amazing time and event.
    Our son is getting married in April and it is such a lovely thing to think about; congratulations to you as I smile and let memories of weddings fill my thoughts!
  • Penguinswaddlenotme
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    @Penguinswaddlenotme Welcome! :smiley:
    Weddings are such an amazing time and event.
    Our son is getting married in April and it is such a lovely thing to think about; congratulations to you as I smile and let memories of weddings fill my thoughts!

Thanks! I can't wait to secure my reception venue! We're going next month (to let us bask in the newly engaged moment) to the venue to show it to our parents. It's a brewery that has farm to table food. The only sad thing is his mother passed away four years ago and my father has Dementia which is getting worse. We're not even sure if he'll be able to make it to the wedding. :(
  • hansep0012
    Options
    @jenconv Welcome, Jen :smiley:
    Is "Porto" Porto Vallarta or maybe Porto Rico? Just curious, I am at a stage of life where travel is possible and I am always curious about the places people visit.
  • jenconv
    Options
    Is "Porto" Porto Vallarta or maybe Porto Rico? Just curious, I am at a stage of life where travel is possible and I am always curious about the places people visit.

It’s Porto, Portugal-I live in the UK so it’s just a 2.5 hour flight from here.

My husband and I love to travel, we decided early on we didn’t want kids so spend the majority of our disposal income on holidays.

It was after a trip to Egypt in April that I realised enough was enough-it’s hard being obese when it’s 30+ degrees and everyone else is frolicking around in swim wear and you’re covered in a tent.

• hansep0012
    Options
    jenconv wrote: »

It’s Porto, Portugal-I live in the UK so it’s just a 2.5 hour flight from here.

My husband and I love to travel, we decided early on we didn’t want kids so spend the majority of our disposal income on holidays.

It was after a trip to Egypt in April that I realised enough was enough-it’s hard being obese when it’s 30+ degrees and everyone else is frolicking around in swim wear and you’re covered in a tent.

Portugal! Awesome!
    I understand that Portugal has some lovely beaches, one of my friends and her husband were there for an entire month! They went from one vacation home to the next as the mood suited them. They were also very impressed with the health care they received (on a cash basis) when ill. They said they would definitely go back and repeat the same open-ended travel itinerary. The Alhambra is there, right?
  • jenconv
    Options
    @hansep0012 The beaches are great but northern Portugal is on the Atlantic coast so the waves can be strong and unpredictable. The Alhambra is in Grenada, Spain which isn’t that far from southern Portugal but a long way from where we go.

There are some breathtaking parts of that part of Europe-google ‘playa de Rodas on The Cies Isles’ and tell me that you don’t think it’s one of the best beaches in the world!!

We are so lucky being close to Europe-last year we did a 9 country road trip in a 2 seater convertible - my knees really hurt getting out of that car let me tell you 😂