Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    dembkogirl wrote: »
    Hi all! I've been lurking on here the past few days, and figured I would introduce myself!

I'm Amanda, I'm 34 and live here in the US. I have been on MFP for years, and 2 years ago I was great at logging and making great choices, and dropped 60 lbs. I didn't maintain it though, and ended up gaining it all back. A month ago after avoiding the scale this year I hopped on and it was over 280. I didn't log but tried to watch portions and officially started logging in again about 2 weeks ago with a starting weight of 278.8lb. My long term goal is to lose 100lbs over the next 18 months and be out of the obese category. My thyroid is crap right now, and I should be starting medicine soon to help with that, and that should help as well with my energy and weight loss.

I think one of the reasons why I gained back is that I have always been all or nothing with diets. Whenever I would make what I saw as a mistake, I would then binge the whole day to "get it out of my system" and restart the next day. Eventually the next day turned into the next week, then I just stopped caring. This time around my hope is to understand that this isn't a diet, this is me being more conscious about my health and making daily good choices that will make me healthier.

Hi @dembkogirl Amanda,

The funny thing about weight loss is that so many people will share similar background stories. That is not funny haha but funny sad. I have done the all or nothing thing so many times. I have stopped for some rebellious eating with plans to start again the next day or the next Monday that didn't happen for months or years later.

LL is dedicated to sensible and sustainable. I like to say that the goal can't be to lose the next pound it has to be how easy you can make losing the next pound.

I hope you stick around.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I decided to post this here to get attention!...where is everyone at?...I check on Larger Losers a few times a day for support and motivation....there are so many members of this group and hardly any posts...C’mon everyone!..Has everyone reached all of their goals and they are gone on down the road?...this is the time of the year when we all need the most help with our DIETS!...Yes, diets...whether it’s a journey,a quest,looking for better health or a change of life style, we are on DIETS...I for one am not embarrassed to say I need all the help I can get!
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I decided to post this here to get attention!...where is everyone at?...I check on Larger Losers a few times a day for support and motivation....there are so many members of this group and hardly any posts...C’mon everyone!..Has everyone reached all of their goals and they are gone on down the road?...this is the time of the year when we all need the most help with our DIETS!...Yes, diets...whether it’s a journey,a quest,looking for better health or a change of life style, we are on DIETS...I for one am not embarrassed to say I need all the help I can get!

You're right. It has been rather quiet around here. Still pluggin' along. Just a little burned out. I love the holidays, but I need a break. I was just off for thanksgiving, but it wasn't enough, now I go back to work tomorrow, just as tired as I was last week. At least I can get back into a routine. I've done well until today. Oh well.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I hear you Dusty pal!my daughter teaches, I feel your pain!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

@conniewilkins56 and group: These last couple of weeks I have been in "lurker mode".

Still checking in and nosing around but in all honesty, I want my contributions to the group to be positive and upbeat and that hasn't been my mindset of late.

My sweet sister commented on my weight loss since she had last seen me in May, and that was a wonderful part of my Thanksgiving week.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 guilty as charged, I haven't been on my PC as much lately checking on the forums here. Just busy / distracted with other stuff I guess. :)
  • NovusDies
    Options

I have had a lot going on during the holidays. I also think it is a good idea at times for me to backseat a little here and there so my posts are less prominent and make room for others to step in more.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm still here and like to read the posts every few days.

I'm struggling mentally and I'm trying to keep going with the losing weight. I'm still losing but only getting a new low of 2lb in the last 4 weeks. Not great when I've got so much to lose - I have the potential to lose 2lb a week and was doing this as an average over the month since April.

I haven't posted lately as I get anxious about what to say and how to say it. Like I said, mentally struggling. Is there a sort of forum-posting-anxiety? Right now I'm just letting my fingers type the words and not overthinking it.

Stay fab everyone x

I am not sure you realize how impressive it really is to be "off your game" a little and still losing some weight. The test of your resolve is not when things are going smoothly it is when they are not. Life is not all long periods of sunshine. So many times through my life it would have been a major victory for me to maintain my weight while trying to get my mental situation straight. I am sure many others here feel the same way.

You losing 2 pounds under less than optimal conditions is much more rock star than me losing 20 comfortably in my system.

• merph518
    Options
    @wannabeskinnycat I agree with Novus! If you're still in a deficit despite losing some momentum, you're doing things right in my book.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the pom poms x
  • merph518
    Options
    I feel frustrated when my loss slows down as well -- I try not to let that get to me though. As long as I'm trending downward on the scale I'm on the right path.

I'm a firm believer that holding yourself to time-based goals only sets up failure conditions that aren't failures.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    I feel frustrated when my loss slows down as well -- I try not to let that get to me though. As long as I'm trending downward on the scale I'm on the right path.

I'm a firm believer that holding yourself to time-based goals only sets up failure conditions that aren't failures.

@wannabeskinnycat

Very much this.

Also, I do not give praise lightly.

It is also important that sometimes you recognize that you will not always be the best judge of a victory and you need an outside group to objectively point it out. If only such a group existed...

• dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    @wannabeskinnycat. You're showing a lot of resolve by sticking with it and not giving up! Your a winner in my book!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I think you will both find the Larger Loser group very supportive and motivating....there is no judgement and everyone is very helpful...looking forward to seeing more ( less ) of you !....join in any conversation!
  • merph518
    Options
    @penguinlover0716 Welcome, Celina. I also found it really hard to get started and stick with it. In the end I just had to be mentally ready to commit to change. I hope you've got yourself to that point as well! Looking forward to hearing more from you going forward.
  • merph518
    Options
    @GeminiLady159 Welcome to LL. Your story sounds familiar -- I did the same. Lost 110 lbs about 9 years ago. Gained it all back and a bonus 50 lbs or so. Hopefully having a group of people here with similar circumstances will be of help to you, I know it has been to me.

Jump in anywhere -- existing threads or make your own -- and join the conversation :)
  • astidog99
    astidog99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Just found this group. I am 54 yr old, 5ft nowt and weight... nope too soon for that lol. I have a lot to lose- I look at charts with healthy weight and BMI and I and sure I will never ever get close to them but I still want to try and get rid of a lot.

I am trying baby steps- one thing at a time. I am using MFP and just working on keeping under the calorie recommendation (which I have fixed for now at the initial recommendation of 1410) (Please don't do the maths lol) and ignoring everything else for now. So far so good. I am seeing the numbers very slowly going down.

I do surprise people- I don't eat a lot. It is rare for me to finish a meal in a restaurant as there is just too much. My problem is I eat the wrong things, mostly because I just don't like the majority of "healthy" food (including the majority of fruit and veg!) You never know, my later posts may reveal the weird things I am eating and keeping me within my goals.