Share Your Day

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,199 Member
    Beginning to be concerned over PAVs scale obsession! 😳
    My cheap Polder scale has never been tested against any other scale. The main purpose of my scale is to convince my lying eyes that a piddling amount of food is indeed one serving.

NIC - your post makes me recall the days of dealing with house upkeep, Christmas, kids, and a job. Exhausting!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Hi all. Well, I froze some dough this weekend! My son is not excited. He said, "You're experimenting with Christmas cookies? Do you think that's wise?" Ha! He can't wait for baking day. By the way, he's 27. :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    edited December 2023
    Thankfully, Yooly, the world is STILL spinning! I was concerned there for a second first thing this morning; but, thankfully the caffeine intake is within acceptable rounding error!

So how scared is our Laurie now? I mean they DO offer to accept returns till the end of January (more or less) :wink: You could order one of each and then... :lol:

g11z6xo8fh0p.jpg
    a30qdd60kza6.jpg
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    Scared enough to wait until I return from Newfoundland before I order :)

YES - just booked a flight for 9 pm Christmas day. Didn't think I could do it - but no chemo coming up it seems ???? That is another terrifying story/thought but I"m not thinking about it other than - woohoo I can see The Boy who stepped out of camera and cried during our video chat when I told him I wouldn't be there during christmas. And elder son - and have Christmas day here with younger son! Writing this is making me cry.... :D
  • lauriekallis
    You have to post an update when you bake those cookies Slash! (hope that abbreviation is okay - then I won't have to keep checking to remember what comes after :) )

Can't wait to hear your son's thoughts :)
  • Yoolypr
    Christmas in Newfoundland! With your grandson! What could be better Laurie? And you get to spend time with both sons. 🥰

I see PAV is still obsessing over his new scale. Methinks you’re a bit of a perfectionist. Me too. But as I get old I’ve finally come to accept nothing/no one will ever be perfect or up to my finicky standards. Learned to pick my battles. Sometimes good enough needs to be celebrated and enjoyed.
  • Yoolypr
    Slashnl wrote: »
    Hi all. Well, I froze some dough this weekend! My son is not excited. He said, "You're experimenting with Christmas cookies? Do you think that's wise?" Ha! He can't wait for baking day. By the way, he's 27. :smile:

Funny how grown sons cling to Christmas traditions. I’m sure the cookies will be fine. Bakeries do this all the time. Not freezing dough for years but weeks in advance of bake day. I resorted to freezing cookie dough when hubby was active duty military. I’d bake cookies for his airmen and base parties. Those kids could eat!!!

Perhaps son might consider helping with prep if he doesn’t find the cookies up to his standards? And of course it might not work well on lower fat cookies.
  • lauriekallis
    On the cookie front. I thought I was done. But I just picked up my car from the mechanics and a repair quote at $775 came in at $525. Those boys are getting some shortbread cookies tomorrow. :)
  • PAV8888
    "You're experimenting with Christmas cookies? Do you think that's wise?"

experimenting is good! BUT frozen cookie dough is good too! :naughty:
  • PAV8888
    So this was a close call.

Was walking in the forest path. Something hit the bottom of my glasses. I shut my right eye and stopped. I pulled an inch long twig that was held in place between my shut eye lids, my glasses and my nose.

No visible scratches. Recently fallen tree extending into the path. Twigs at eye level.

I like glasses.
  • Yoolypr
    Close call there PAV! Note - do not eat raw cookie dough EVER. The stuff sold to be eaten is pasteurized. Not so with homemade.

Those car repair boys deserve a double batch of shortbreads, Laurie. I have never had a car repair come in under estimate. Merry Christmas to you!
  • lauriekallis
    Indeed I am feeling pretty blessed, Yooly.

Sounds like PAV had a Christmas blessing too. Glad for your glasses our good man. We NEED your vision. Who else would keep us up to speed on counter scale technology and availability????? WHO I ask?
  • Slashnl
    PAV - whew! I bet that got your pulse rate up!
  • Yoolypr
    Nine more days of the fancy red wrist cast. 👹 It weighs a ton and is uncomfortable especially at night. I just can’t sleep well with my arm and hand trapped in a rigid, airless cast. It’s not my first experience with broken bones or casts but I just seem to be less tolerant. Trying to dress, shower or do simple tasks one handed results in shoulder pain. The removable brace will be a joy!

There - I have whined sufficiently.

I begin cookie baking on Thursday. Hubby will be helping with rolling out dough🫣 and moving cookie sheets in and out of the oven. He likes to cook but this will be an exercise in patience for him. 🥹
  • PAV8888
    He may appreciate the cookies more given his participation?

BONUS he will be handy & available to consume any "strays" so they don't end up sitting there staring you in the eyes!

Only a few more days with the Santa cast!

Yup: pre-testing and quality control chocolates before putting them in their bags... not a great plan!
  • Slashnl
    Hey Yooly - So I froze my dough and figured that I would take it out of the freezer the night before baking day. Is that what you do? Glad you are close to getting the cast off!
  • Yoolypr
    Hey Yooly - So I froze my dough and figured that I would take it out of the freezer the night before baking day. Is that what you do? Glad you are close to getting the cast off!

Just to be sure put the frozen dough in the fridge a full day before. Then take it out of the fridge an hour or so ahead of baking to warm up a bit. Watch your baking time if the dough is cold. Good luck!
    It’s a bit of experimenting but should work just fine.

• PAV8888
    edited December 2023
    In a past century, I swear that I observed cookies cooking from frozen in a hot oven in just a few minutes.

The image even has a metal sheet and parchment paper.

Could be a dream... or direct from freezer to the oven experiment especially if it is a convection oven! 🤷‍♂️

I would experiment with a test batch! 😎🤔🫣
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2023
    Lettucia is still around!

For $20 (US$14.80; €13.61) she is doing more than I should expect!🤷‍♂️

And the "unsettled" behavior is way less than before/almost non existent, which makes me suspect that I didn't wait long enough for the scale to come up to temperature after sitting at the doorstep all day. Sure, I waited a few hours but she was still in the (cardboard) shipping boxes....
  • Yoolypr
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Lettucia is still around!

And the "unsettled" behavior is way less than before/almost non existent, which makes me suspect that I didn't wait long enough for the scale to come up to temperature after sitting at the doorstep all day. Sure, I waited a few hours but she was still in the (cardboard) shipping boxes....

Love the one you’re with PAV!