Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,614 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

My current shoes should last through the end of February. I can either buy more of them or move on. I would rather move on because they wear down so fast.

With recent injuries and a major increase in my walking - I fully appreciate your meticulous search!

For the past several pair I have been relying on Doc Martins Hardie boots with superfeet copper inserts. They have made a profound difference. They have a thick sole with a lot of bounce/shock absorption. But that soft sole wears out quickly - enough to throw off my gait and bring on knee pain within - 9 months - and that is alternating between 2 pairs at any given time, which translates to 3 to 4 new pairs of shoes in a year.

And socks! That is an entirely different story. I've worn $25 dollar socks and $2 pairs - and am starting think the lower end might be the way to go. Those expensive socks didn't last very long at all.

I'll follow your test - and am very happy to learn about prime wardrobe. I'm going to go check that out now.

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    At this point I go through the support insoles in my daily shoes in three months but since I wear fairly expensive shoes I swap out the insoles and keep going. But I'm also not doing weightbearing exercise in them, so they can wear a little uneven before it really gets to me.

It's hard to find shoes that will accommodate my lift. I have a short leg on one side, and though it's not a big difference, that quarter inch makes my back really miserable unless I wear a lift in that shoe. I usually buy men's shoes, honestly; my arthritic metatarsals/toes really like the wider last.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

My current shoes should last through the end of February. I can either buy more of them or move on. I would rather move on because they wear down so fast.

With recent injuries and a major increase in my walking - I fully appreciate your meticulous search!

For the past several pair I have been relying on Doc Martins Hardie boots with superfeet copper inserts. They have made a profound difference. They have a thick sole with a lot of bounce/shock absorption. But that soft sole wears out quickly - enough to throw off my gait and bring on knee pain within - 9 months - and that is alternating between 2 pairs at any given time, which translates to 3 to 4 new pairs of shoes in a year.

And socks! That is an entirely different story. I've worn $25 dollar socks and $2 pairs - and am starting think the lower end might be the way to go. Those expensive socks didn't last very long at all.

I'll follow your test - and am very happy to learn about prime wardrobe. I'm going to go check that out now.

The annoying part of prime wardrobe is that you search for shoes and it brings up a big list but so many of them have limited sizes and colors available for trial. The rest are only available for purchase.

Prime wardrobe has been a good tool overall though. It has really helped me dial in my sizes as they have changed. Although it is amazing to me that sizes are inconsistent between brands but whatever.

I have narrowed my search down to 2 shoes for walking trial. I was going to try them today but the roads are still a little wet from recent rain and I do not want to take a chance on messing up the shoes. I REALLY wanted to love a pair of Columbias but while they were comfortable to walk in they were oddly uncomfortable to sit or drive in. They would have been perfect for a replacement for my yard work shoes because they were mid high. Ah well...
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I have eaten the way I am supposed to be eating for three days....I guess I gained a solid 6 to 8 lbs over the holidays....I really struggled to get back with it...sugar overload....now I need to get these pounds back off and go forward once more!...my 2 year anniversary on MFP is May 28.... I really need to get a plan how I want to deal with maintenance by then...probably slow my weight loss down to one pound a week then...right now I have to keep concentrating on one day at a time....
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm a computer technician for a school district and I've been super busy this morning, but the day is still dragging. I already have 3000 steps for the day and its only 10am. I have a 4 day weekend starting tomorrow, so that's something to look forward to. I'm planning on playing Beat Saber this weekend and doing some meal prep for next week.
    Options
    Yesterday I went to the store, so today is meal prep work.
    I fried three pounds of ground beef with mild Mexican spicing and put them up in 8 ounce bags as "mild taco meat". I fried three pounds of ground beef with rather less mild spicing, added two cans of tomatoes with diced jalapenos, and put that up in 8 ounce bags as "hot taco meat". This goes in all our burritoes, taco salads, enchiladas, etc. and I can't take it as hot as my two California-raised partners can. We go through that three pounds in about six weeks time; I've still got about two bags of each left from the last batch, but I hate to run out of this, as a Mexiwrap is something that he requests often when he feels in need of comfort food.

I'll do a pork shoulder in beer in the crockpot soon too, for the pulled pork wraps get requested for comfort food often too, and we've only got three bags of pork in the freezer. (One bag will do 3 wraps/sandwiches.)

I have a new quichecake in the oven; chicken bacon ranch and swiss flavor. They wanted me to up the buttermilk this time, so I did. We'll see in a couple weeks how that comes across.
    Options
    Still battling TOM. I feel very bloated and wrong in my skin. This too will pass, however.
    Boyfriend works today, so I'll see if I can't get the sheets changed. If I am too crampy it just won't happen, though, and I'm not going to beat myself up over it.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I was one of the lucky ones!...TOM never much bothered me and I didn’t know I went through the change until it was over!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I got some exercise in today! I was going to make myself do a cardio video and 30 minutes on my elipitical, but looked outside and thought, you know, shoveling is exercise too. So I went out and shoveled my driveway, the neighbor's driveway, and then part of my parents' driveway. nearly 2 hours worth of shoveling! it was only around 4 inches or so, so technically with my truck I didn't really have to shovel it, but I wanted to be outside and I wanted the exercise lol

And it was a lightweight snow, so I pushed the shoveling across the driveway for the most part; still, I did work up a sweat and my arms are sore; I'll be taking ibuprofen when I head to bed tonight, methinks. lol But even only counting 60 minutes to accommodate the lighter effort still earned me back 600 calories for today, so I might just actually be under calorie goal for the first time in a long while!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I got some exercise in today! I was going to make myself do a cardio video and 30 minutes on my elipitical, but looked outside and thought, you know, shoveling is exercise too. So I went out and shoveled my driveway, the neighbor's driveway, and then part of my parents' driveway. nearly 2 hours worth of shoveling! it was only around 4 inches or so, so technically with my truck I didn't really have to shovel it, but I wanted to be outside and I wanted the exercise lol

And it was a lightweight snow, so I pushed the shoveling across the driveway for the most part; still, I did work up a sweat and my arms are sore; I'll be taking ibuprofen when I head to bed tonight, methinks. lol But even only counting 60 minutes to accommodate the lighter effort still earned me back 600 calories for today, so I might just actually be under calorie goal for the first time in a long while!

I guess I could shovel some sand for exercise since we do not get snow!....glad you seem so much perkier and glad to see your post!...we miss you!
    Options
    I have been having the fun of buying bras when you can't try them on. I keep telling myself I'd have to order them anyway because I started at a 40F and am now in a 34H. (I really want to lose some in the cup, please, gods....) I tell you, if I get to my goal, and I'm something ridiculous like a 30L, I am damn well looking into a reduction to go with my ab repair and tummy tuck. I'm okay with having pinup curves, that's the underlying genetics, but it is starting to get ridiculous.

When I settle into a size I like to buy one of two of the next size down, but that gets expensive in bras, and especially when you're guessing; am I going to drop in cup and band or just in band? But my back REALLY doesn't like holding up the girls without a bra, so wearing one that isn't doing the job is no good either.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Today I am resting. As soon as I started feeling a little better I realized how far behind I am on EVERYTHING. It is looking like if I do some physical work one day I should probably avoid doing too much the next day... yesterday I was mowing the front yard and it felt like I was stepping through mud. I had to switch to the riding lawn mower which doesn't do as good of a job but that can't always be the priority.

Unfortunately the knee situation will need to be resolved pretty soon. They hurt all the time now. The good news, and yes I am a half glass full kinda guy, is that my insurance deductible is EASILY met so I might as well get whatever I need done, done this year, right?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Yep!...if you have met your deductibles you might as well get whatever you need done while you can....that’s why I had both knees replaced 4 months apart!...it sounds like you have been going through a pretty rough time...we all have those bumps in the road and detours!...life isn’t always pretty and it can get pretty messy!...you have come such a long way!...it’s time for you to let some of us help you!...I struggle but as you have said, some days are easier than others!...I am learning that I need to have a couple of rest days when I do minimal chores and errands...but I am decades older than you!...lol
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I am super excited to be nearing a point I can start losing weight again full time and full deficit. That alone will make me feel so much better. I will probably get a water drop and even though water comes and goes, it going could relieve some pressure on the knees while actual fat loss starts to mount. I went ahead and decided to go maintenance today but that is just another precaution.

I guess I lied to myself. I was going to go out and spray the poison ivy that is OUT OF CONTROL because that would not be a very physical task but I am out of time. The material I wrote for my class tonight took far longer than it normally does.

Oh and I will be hosting a LL Zoom get-together in the near future for anyone that feels comfortable coming. I do not think it is a direct rule violation but I will not be posting a link here. It will be done with a private messages. Anyone that wants to consider it should send me a FR and probably tell me that you have because I do not check that thing very often and I believe I have over 100 people who I have neither approved or declined in my queue. We can either spend time chatting or bouncing around weight loss/management ideas.

• dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    LL Zoom would be fun to get together virtually. I know there are lurkers out there, so even if you just want to listen, come join the party!
    May want to do separate thread on it?
    Sending FR now 🙂
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,614 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies I love the idea of an LL Zoom! I'm sending a FR now too.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies I sent a FR.

A Zoom sounds interesting. I would love to attend, but it would depend on day/time and how my anxiety is.