Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,659 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to share, Alexandra. Sometimes I feel so adrift that if feels good to learn about others ways of bringing/finding meaning in this life.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for sharing your holiday information. Not sure if you both celebrate for the same reason? @Athijade I read about Lughnasadh and think it sounds so wonderful. I was swooning at the grocery store today at the evidence of this years harvest rolling in. We are so lucky.

I am a Celtic Pagan so I celebrate a little differently then Alexandra. While it is still a harvest celebration to me, it is also a celebration of the god Lugh who is my patron. Lugh is known as the shining one, the silver tongued bard, and a god of many skills. In this way, the harvest is looking at the skills you have and have worked on through the last year, being thankful for them, and deciding where you want to go from this point forward.

It is also a funeral celebration for Lugh's foster mother Tialtiu who died clearing the plains of Ireland so that the people had a way to grow crops and survive the cold winter ahead.

So for me... I commune with Lugh and thank him for the skills he has gifted to me and helped me grow this year. I celebrate him and the sacrifice of his mother. I will make a "feast" (small since it is just me). This year was a roasted chicken with fresh herbs, stuffing made from cornbread and regular bread with fresh herbs, green beans, and a blueberry pie. I focused on what is bountiful at this time of the year as you can tell and got many of the ingredients from either my garden (the herbs) or the local Farmer's Market (the chicken, bread, green beans, and pie).

So in short, while I do celebrate the harvest, I do it with a focus on my patron and his connection to it.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you, Athijade. Your belief system is very compelling. I am intrigued and love how you and Alexandra have very distinct and personal connections. I am going to make a point of learning more. For spiritual reasons and because I can see how this is very much connected to how we feed ourselves and ultimately to our health and weight.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Last night, husband and I did an evening bike ride out to our favorite local lake and back. This time we extended it just a mile or so by going a bit beyond to go to Rita's and get some italian ice. I had mango, he had swedish fish flavor. It was a great ride, but omg my legs are sore after only 14 miles. We've been slacking in the bike department this summer. Maybe Sunday we'll try our longer ride (still only 22 miles).

I need to get my legs back in shape so I can do a short bike packing trip this fall (C&O canal towpath). I'd love to do the whole trail, but just don't think I'll have the time. It is 185 miles, and I'm not going to be in a place to do back-to-back 50 mile days on gravel lol.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That past few days have been hellish. I hope that I'm ready to get back in the groove today. I guess I should be more assertive, but just don't want to go into the day being all cocky, because that hasn't worked yet.

Can't face the scale. I've eaten enough extra calories to legitimately add a pound and a half maybe? But that probably translates to an extra 10 on the scale today...lol.

Wish me luck. I don't like where I've been.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    That past few days have been hellish. I hope that I'm ready to get back in the groove today. I guess I should be more assertive, but just don't want to go into the day being all cocky, because that hasn't worked yet.

Can't face the scale. I've eaten enough extra calories to legitimately add a pound and a half maybe? But that probably translates to an extra 10 on the scale today...lol.

Wish me luck. I don't like where I've been.

I wish I could do or say something to inspire you!…you have done so good so far….maybe reflect on why you lost weight to start and build on that…..keeping motivated is the hard part…we start feeling and looking so much better than we did in the beginning…if we don’t stick to it, sadly the pounds will come back…we are not normal people…we have severe eating disorders…hang in there Laurie….
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,705 Member
    Options
    Make a bit of a plan of your can. Then maybe don't try for the big deficit on day 1, just get things under control within normal limits. Two three days of normal and then ramp a deficit again. And for me at least, if I HAVE to log it BEFORE I eat it ... it definitely cuts down on speed!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you, both.

I do feel so much better, Connie. Been trying to remind myself all morning that I haven't gained back 100 pounds in two days - but I swear I'm almost afraid to look in the mirror or try to get dressed because it truly feels like I've lost everything I accomplished and I'm back where I started. My belly is a bit unhappy with me, but that is about it if I think about this clearly.

I like that idea PAV, especially since I have the Boy here soon until Wednesday evening when he is off to Newfoundland to visit his East-Coast Nan for 3 weeks.

Aiming for planned, pre-logged "maintenance" for a few days is a perfect (attainable???) goal. Maybe it will reset the circuit breaker (s?) that seem to be sending a shower of sparks everywhere. I'm probably personally responsible for the ridiculous heat wave hitting Ontario. Along with myriad other bad things. Forest fires. Pandemics. Tent caterpillars. Sand fleas.

The only good thing I've done is log everything - horrible as it felt.

Getting over this shame is important. I didn't kill anyone...other than some high calorie food. Not quite the same as being a cannibal - but wow it can feel like it.

And - remembering to eat! Eating is good. Necessary. Healthy even! No need to punish me with any "you don't deserve to eat for at least a week" recriminations.

Think I'll do something along the "eating something good for me line" right now.

The very thought is so much kinder, and productive than the berating thoughts buzzing around in my head.

Okay - gonna go log lunch now. Then prepare it.

Thank you, both. (gotta repeat that now that your words are starting to sink in and there is a bit of light coming in around the edges.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,705 Member
    Options
    Loving it Laurie... including the concept of killing some high cal food :lol: Wait till you see what I post based on Connie's idea (and trust me, it is filling!)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    When our son made his first confession in Catholic school my husband I sat in the pews waiting for him….we waited and waited for him to come out….John and I looked at each other and my husband leaned over and whispered to me, “What did he do ?”…I shrugged and rolled my eyes….he finally came out, said nothing and we got in the car….we didn’t want to ask why he took so long when he spoke up and said, “Father Bob said at least I hadn’t killed anybody”….

See Laurie, all you did was eat a little too much….you are forgiven, my child!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    well, somewhere around mid afternoon, after the well planned and logged lunch, "they" were asking for it.
    :(
    (twas better than the previous two days though)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    When our son made his first confession in Catholic school my husband I sat in the pews waiting for him….we waited and waited for him to come out….John and I looked at each other and my husband leaned over and whispered to me, “What did he do ?”…I shrugged and rolled my eyes….he finally came out, said nothing and we got in the car….we didn’t want to ask why he took so long when he spoke up and said, “Father Bob said at least I hadn’t killed anybody”….

See Laurie, all you did was eat a little too much….you are forgiven, my child!

This made me chuckle!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Laurie, after seeing your post on mine, I know you can do it. I think your idea of prelogging at maintenance is a great idea. Once you feel like you have control back, then slowly drop your calories. It can be hard. I know that all too well. But you have support here.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you, Connie. You cracked me up! And Athijade.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I joined in my first ever group cycle ride this evening (on Zwift) - it was an hour long ride of 18 miles and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to finish because I’ve only been cycling for 4 weeks and the furthest I’d cycled to date was 11 miles total, with a gap for coffee at the halfway point.

Anyway - I made it! I was one of the last to finish and my butt was killing me from minute 45 onwards, and I MAY have pulled a muscle in my groin, so I’m now walking like John Wayne, and I might need to sleep on the couch because walking upstairs is excruciating, and I couldn’t bend over at the moment to poop scoop 💩 🐶 if my life depended on it....but I finished! Does that mean I’m an athlete now, at the grand old age of 56? 😆🚴🏻‍♀️🏆

mco96y46w5i0.jpeg
    4farpgwg2jgs.jpeg
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    9gwptmt4xo75.jpg

I think it does!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    :D:D
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I am disappointed to wake up this morning back to a sore left knee. I have been undergoing gel shot therapy each week for 3 weeks. The last one went, let's say, less smoothly in the left knee. It took about a week for it to feel decent again but even though I didn't do much yesterday it must have been just enough to tweak it again. The therapy was meant to help stabilize but I think the last shot has, at least temporarily, made things worse.

I have been buried in commitments but I am hoping things will even out now for a time and I can spend more time here. I have read a bit and can see that, even though I am here less others keep stepping up to their fellow members improve their lives. The goal here has always been that we all be our own coach which means we should be able to help coach others.