Share your Numbers

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,614 Member
    Options
    Didn't even occur to me that I could buy them in a store! Thought they just magically appeared at falafel places :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Walmarts in hamilton centre and stoney creek list both Arz and Zein in 1L jar for $4.99. I've used Arz before and had no issues.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    today's pickles were "tamam" brand and I did like them better than the ARZ for whatever that's worth :smile:

The potato egg salad remains a good value, I think. And is high in protein and (relatively) satiating carbs. I do leave the skin on the potatoes which is probably against some rule or another. Don't forget that a bunch of items pretend to be less calories than they are... looking at you zero-not calorie mustard powder and even the pickled eggs claiming to be less Cal than regular boiled eggs when they don't seem to have much or any liquid absorbed. I initially thought it would be half today and half tomorrow, but I think that thirds or quarters are more likely. Have some greens and tomatoes to add too to turn into a salad...

9rxwdk6vrahg.png
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I haven't made this in awhile. So the "calories" in the box would be multiplied by 5.5 or so for a filling serving? That isn't bad at all!!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I do have it in my recipes as "PAVs Potato Salad" :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    As i wrote to @Athijade .... mix the mustard powder in the yogurt before applying to the rest. Mine is quite unevenly distributed. Also should have cut the turnip pieces a bit smaller. They add a nice color but are a bit too chunky the way I did them. Lemon pepper was a medium choice in the combination. That said the basic idea I think works.... it's just adding various pickles to the yogurt mustard egg "dressing" for the potatoes. Calories seem to be about equal between the potatoes, the eggs, and the yogurt and just over or under 500 per.

Biggest issue I see is how to serve in a way that doesn't encourage too many bread/cracker/etc digressions. I've even gone with adding it over lettuce/leaves and tomato!

But hey, that's where the fun part of experimenting comes in! I did consider adding olives for some fat since I'm using 0% greek. The whole 2.3kg batch was under 1800 Cal. Would definitely jiggle a bit with mustard and sriracha or dried chilli as opposed to lemon pepper. and mix it in the yogurt so that it is more even before applying.

88ah5k8j819a.png
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hit a bit of a milestone today. I am down 100 lbs from my starting weight in January of 2022 and I am once again down over 300 lbs from my highest weight ever in 2004. After losing 340 lbs in 2004 - 2006 I managed to keep most of it off for 5 or 6 years. I never gained it all back, but did manage to get to 400 lbs briefly. Boy, what a waste of that work. Anyway, I feel good and on the right track. 40 more lbs to go, cydc0xwoij0y.jpeg
    cctlw1vzlv57.jpeg
    j0tbpwu3qdar.jpeg
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Congratulations, CharlesScott! A bit of a rollercoaster ride - but think of all the learning along the way. Not necessarily a waste - because us humans can be really slow to absorb lessons. I hope you are able to stay at or near goal for the rest of your years.
    I have a similar rollercoaster picture from the last 3 or so years. Some days it hurts to look at it, others I feel really proud for not giving up. Live and learn and live even better!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    After being hit by protein awareness I've managed several great protein days - within my current calorie envelope. Woohoo! But. Last night I noticed how low my fat number had dropped...16% or so...25ish grams. After a bit of looking around that seems too low. Most resources suggest .5g or .1g per kg of body weight/lean body mass - whichever is correct I'm way under with my new daily menus.
    I realized that is because to meet the calorie requirments with the extra protein I cut out nuts and seeds - walnuts on my yogurt, pumpkin seeds on green stuff - because they are high calories without any immediate sense of satiation. I didn't even notice and didn't think of it - until I played PAVs post in my mind about numbers and remembered that he mentioned fat requirements (though I don't think you were certain on the exact number, PAV, you lodged that category in my mind).
    So my next goal is to get the fat numbers up a bit on the "good" days without disturbing the calorie goal. Since I hope those will be by far the majority of my days.
    On the days I breakdown and eat a little pie or chocolate bar fat isn't an issue :) though protein probably will be ... but they will be the exception, not the rule.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I forgot my other number celebration today: I hit my end of February goal. It was outrageous really, but accomplished and only 3 days late. I'm in the 220s now. (it hurts to write that when I was so much lower two years ago...but it is what it is). Next goal....into the 2teens by the end of March. :) I'll have to get a headstart on that in the earlier part of the month because my birthday is on the 25th and I plan for pizza and a fancy drink at a local Tiki Pizza place...followed (or preceded?) by birthday cake :)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Good going Laurie! You’re making progress and learning along the way. Another year older, another year smarter!

And congratulations Charles! Experience is never a waste of time.

It’s a lifelong battle I wish I’d taken on much sooner. But it’s somewhat easier now because I have support and I took time to stay on top of it rather than hope for miracles.
  • pbm89gt
    pbm89gt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No progress for first week;

Starting weight 342lbs

Week 1 342lbs 😭😭

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank goodness there is a second week, @pbm89gt
    Do you figure this is a water weight fluctuation? Or just the challenge of getting started?
  • pbm89gt
    Options
    I'm hoping water weight, I'm thinking some of the meds that I'm taking may be the cause, I'm on high blood pressure meds and a beta blocker, I was put on these little over a year ago. Ever since I've been fatigued and had trouble losing.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    fatigued would have potentially a lot to do with things as it would affect TDEE. Weekly measurements are subject to major variation. you don't know if initial or today's were "local" lows, highs, or accurate representations of what you weight trend looked like at that time. Sure, every measurement is valid as of the time it's taken. But I still prefer to look at the trend as opposed to individual numbers.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    A shout out to @CharlesScott78 Not sure of the timelines indicated by 5/4 but a lot of people don't manage to arrest a regain. And even fewer then manage to get back on a downward slide. So keep up the good work...
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Laurie I think I threw out (but maybe I didn't) a 0.2 to 0.25g of "healthy" fats (and I think in the past I was referencing a 0.3g) per lb for Da Ladies.

if you want to keep mindful by aiming for the full protein on 1200 Cal--more the power to you.

But I was thinking that essentially half your Calories coming from protein is not long term realistic so don't make getting such levels the hill you expire upon!

That said. I am a great believer in hamster misdirection! If they are wondering about protein and bunnies then they are not getting their mitten paws into other things they better be keeping themselves out off! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Amazing how less attractive that treat is when I'm trying to squeeze in the protein :) Though I'm "aiming" for 1200 - most days are coming in in the 1400s....so that little fool myself is working too :) myself is not so smart sometimes.
  • pbm89gt
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Just for giggles I weighed myself again this morning, Im now 336.9 what in the world?! That's 5.1 lbs over night, I think my scale is broke. There's no way that's right.