Non Scale Victories

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    smat52 wrote: »
    @NovusDies That is a fantastic NSV ! After I reached a certain age, one of the first things I learned and focused on was to love myself. You should look in the mirror everyday and say positive things about yourself. Be proud of how far you have come. I have a long way to go with my weight, but I'm trying to feel positive now and not wait until I lose weight. Congrats on your accomplishments.!

I have a high appreciation for intelligence and wisdom and I consider them to be more of my defining features than my physical appearance or a number on the scale. In that way I have never stopped loving myself but I haven't always liked the way I looked.

Your approach is wise but I was not able to do it before. I know that loving anyone doesn't mean you have to like everything about them. I like to focus on the things I love about other people and do my best to ignore the parts I dislike.

In some ways this is a form of denial and I am sure it held me back but it might have also helped me cope with this situation before I was ready to tackle it once and hopefully for all. I count it as a benefit lately though. My appearance was not improving with weight loss and while I can be very patient it sucks to lose so much weight and actually wonder if you look worse. It was better for me to not focus on it and keep my head down so I could continue to do the work.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Now for a more serious NSV and this one is HUGE for me...

I no longer purposefully avoid seeing my full self in the mirror. I am still obese but all that I have had to do for the last 19 months is finally showing up in an appreciable manner.

In related news...

I also had a picture of myself taken last Friday night that was not a progress picture but one that I have added to my normal pictures folder. It was the first picture I have been willing to take in a very very long time.

Great to hear. Very happy for you.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    @katy9599 You just sashay into your appointment with a big ole grin and your good numbers! Way to go!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Sorry I've been AWOL for a while but so nice to pop back in and see all these fabulous achievements, well done everone :)
  • NovusDies
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Sorry I've been AWOL for a while but so nice to pop back in and see all these fabulous achievements, well done everone :)

I guess I can stop trying to train my puppy to track your scent so I can hunt you down. That is good because it wasn't going very well.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I am not napping during the day like I used to!....Depression and extra pounds were really dragging me down more than I realized....everyday after lunch I would go to sleep for two or three hours and wake up draggy and tired....I don’t think I have taken a nap in a couple of months now....I stay up way to late...almost 2 a.m. every night but I am up by 9 or 10 in the morning.....I was literally sleeping my life away!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

I guess I can stop trying to train my puppy to track your scent so I can hunt you down. That is good because it wasn't going very well.

Noooo, don't stop, send me the puppy!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Yesterday my blood sugar was 97 and today it was 104. For the the last two months it's been 115-120 and it's been on my mind a bit.
  • NovusDies
    Two health marker improvements. That is GREAT. Good going @papayahed and @DogMom919!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Congrats @MatthewRuch
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Yesterday I tried some jeans on that I hadn’t worn for a few years and they fit!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Great to see so many victories! :D
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    That's awesome!