WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - September 2019

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,115 Member
    Options
    AmyRobF wrote: »
    I am so sorry I haven’t been on and I posted my weigh in on a day early. I didn’t realize it! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Maybe this week I will be back on track with EVERYTHING! With volleyball, Cub Scouts, soccer, Awana and Sunday School I was a mess! It’s every week but last week just took a toll on me. I was unorganized which is NOT me and it drove me nuts!

Well, maybe let one little thing slip -- you can't be perfect with EVERYTHING!! And it is way better to weigh-in early than late, right? So take a deep breath (or 3) and forget about all that disorganized mess. This week, you'll have it!
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hey team, sorry I've been MIA. I'm struggling right now and trying to get back on track. Food choices are not great and I haven't been logging consistently. Ugh, this is hard!
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Username: reflectionofme
    Weigh in day: Monday
    PW: 128.5
    CW: 128.4

• tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Username: Tdrjustus3
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW: 287.0
    CW: 286.0
  • jugar
    edited September 2019
    Options
    tdrjustus3 wrote: »
    Username: Tdrjustus3
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW: 287.0
    CW: 286.0
    This is a riot - I had just moved you to Saturdays, when you usually weigh in, and you're back on Monday! Fantastic - I'll put you on Mondays for October, but if you want to change, let me know :smile: And well done - a pound gone!
  • jugar
    Options
    Pearl4686 wrote: »
    Hey team, sorry I've been MIA. I'm struggling right now and trying to get back on track. Food choices are not great and I haven't been logging consistently. Ugh, this is hard!

It is indeed. You don't have to be perfect, but consistency sure helps. What has worked before? What did you like when you were logging and making better choices? But don't beat yourself up about not being there right now - just figure out what you liked, how great it feels, and eat that meal instead of the one that makes you feel bad about yourself. If you need a boost, listen to some motivating music and get on board, or make an artwork of your good feels - and keep on coming by to tell us what you are trying. The struggle is real, and company helps.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The one thing I need to change is... water. -_-

I KNOW I need to drink more water. I know I feel better when I do. But it feels impossible to drink that much. I work, I can't just sit here drinking all day. Even if I could, I dislike water and with my taste buds suddenly changing I can't tolerate the flavor drops anymore.

Basically my water bottle is just an ominous presence on the corner of my desk.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Apologies! Last week was an emotional bear and a lot of carbs and comfort food were consumed.

CW - 200.2
    I think my PW was 197.8
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    WEEK 4 MOD CHALLENGE
    HOW OLD WOULD YOU BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW OLD YOU ARE?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10765758/week-4-mod-challenge-how-old/p1?new=1
  • jugar
    Options
    visiri wrote: »
    Apologies! Last week was an emotional bear and a lot of carbs and comfort food were consumed.

CW - 200.2
    I think my PW was 197.8
    It is so good to see you back! Late, a wreck, and struggling - it's the best that you are here. We all know the emotional bears and their effect - so hang in there, and pull yourself kicking and struggling back on track. Get back to onederland! That will do more to fix the emotional wreckage than anything you can put in your mouth. No apologies needed - just come in here and follow all the challenges. Ours (that ONE thing that will help others fall in place), the inter-team challenges (check the announcements section and dive in), whatever works for you. Or just come here and tell us what's working, what's not working. We missed you!
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    The one thing I need to change is... water. -_-

I KNOW I need to drink more water. I know I feel better when I do. But it feels impossible to drink that much. I work, I can't just sit here drinking all day. Even if I could, I dislike water and with my taste buds suddenly changing I can't tolerate the flavor drops anymore.

Basically my water bottle is just an ominous presence on the corner of my desk.

FIZZ! I love my bubbly water, but struggle when it is still. I even have a crazy set up to carbonate my own water (delicious deep well water) with a honking big CO2 fire extinguisher set up to fizz my water. It is my daily ritual to make the stuff, and then, of course, to drink it. So try the bubbles. They really help. NO to flavour drops. YES to plenty liquid full of bubbles.

Even non-water things count, though. Herbal tea, the water you cook your rice in, soup -- and start with an amount you can handle. Don't go straight to 2 litres if you're not drinking 2 glasses right now. But yeah, you need to drink more water. Make an amount to hit every day (NOT a huge one to start) and let us know how it goes.
  • jugar
    Options
    So I tried the calendar thing today, as my one thing that would help other stuff fall into place.

It worked pretty well! I had to practice and do some food prep and dealing with the crazy supply of apples from my apple trees. I put in 1.5 hours for practice, and it kept me going past when I would have thrown in the towel. THAT was excellent. Then I did not sit around and feel smug about having gotten something done, I went on to the next thing on my schedule. Tomorrow I'll put more things on it and get a lot done, right? Back to workouts now that my ankle is starting to feel better. And more apples. Anyone want to come and pick some and take them away??????
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING TEAM
    WHEN I GET BACK TODAY FROM GETTING MY NEW PROSTHETIC TODAY I AM GOING TO OPEN REGISTRATION FOR OCTOBER. I DON'T WANT TO USE ANY HOLLYWOOD MEME OR JPEG. I WOULD LIKE TO USE SOME OF THE GROUPS PHOTOS. REAL PEOPLE LOSING REAL WEIGHT. IF YOU WOULD PREFER ME NOT USING YOU LET ME KNOW.
    MY INTENT HERE IS TO SHOW OFF OUR GROUP AND CONNECT THE NEW MEMBERS WITH REAL PEOPLE. NOT SOME CRAP I PULLED OF THE WORLD WIDE WEB.
    I WON'T POST ANYTHING UNTIL TOMORROW MORNING JUST SO YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO SAY YEA OR NAY.
    THANKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE OUR GROUP BIGGER BETTER BADDER
    GREG
  • jugar
    Options
    I found this discussion that started over on another team (Mission Slimpossible). It is this kind of conversation that makes the F2F valuable - people trying things, they work or they don't work, others chime in. One person is trying to slow down and eat mindfully. It isn't working. Another has a different approach:
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    apple852hk wrote: »
    I have trouble eating my meals in 10 mins. I don't feel full or hungry afterwards but still want to eat. I think I like munching but not chewing my food slowly.

I have tried watching videos to make eating process longer - but I just leave my food getting cold. I notice I have a belief to eat quickly as food should be hot.

Since I have been eating soup this week - maybe that's why I don't feel full. The favourite part of the meal is chewing the side of bread with the soup.

Has anyone else been a person who likes munching on food but not chewing mindfully? Any suggestion on how to appreciate food than just feel like a task to be completed quickly?

I've been thinking about your post. For me, I do best eating a lot of food, which means a lot of vegetables! I try to get decent protein too. I still try to pay attention to how full I feel. Examples of recent meals are about a pound of vegetables with eggs, yogurt an apple and a pear, large spring green salads with lots of diced vegetables beans and sunflower seeds, and salmon or beans with half a plate of roasted veggies. I do well most of the time eating this way. I usually avoid distractions when I'm eating so I can enjoy my food. Sounds geeky but when i eat my salad at lunch i actually think of how it's nourishing my body. If I'm in the mood for snacking, I'll have frozen blueberries or cut-up vegetables with Tajin on them or dip them in a yogurt dressing. Now where I run into trouble is when I'm out-of-town and don't have my own food or healthy stuff to order from a menu! Being used to a lot of food isn't good at buffets! So while I have a good plan and like what I eat daily, I struggle when out of my routine. And they say to wait 20 minutes before getting seconds, I do think that helps.

I'm also of the second school of thought - I LOVE to eat, munch, chow down, and having my plate almost completely covered with vegetables makes that possible. I think the purpose of the slowing down and eating mindfully is to deal with trigger foods - I know I cannot stop if I start on those - but avoiding those as much as possible and loading up on vegetables, legumes, and fruit makes it possible to eat large volume of food without any bad consequences. I avoid grains for the most part, and have to be careful with nuts. I add a reasonable amount of protein and not too much fat, and it works for me. I do not find it helpful to feel ashamed of eating and enjoying it, or to control the speed or amount of time I have to take to do it. Controlling which things I go for makes a huge difference. What works for you?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    I found this discussion that started over on another team (Mission Slimpossible). It is this kind of conversation that makes the F2F valuable - people trying things, they work or they don't work, others chime in. One person is trying to slow down and eat mindfully. It isn't working. Another has a different approach:
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    apple852hk wrote: »
    I have trouble eating my meals in 10 mins. I don't feel full or hungry afterwards but still want to eat. I think I like munching but not chewing my food slowly.

I have tried watching videos to make eating process longer - but I just leave my food getting cold. I notice I have a belief to eat quickly as food should be hot.

Since I have been eating soup this week - maybe that's why I don't feel full. The favourite part of the meal is chewing the side of bread with the soup.

Has anyone else been a person who likes munching on food but not chewing mindfully? Any suggestion on how to appreciate food than just feel like a task to be completed quickly?

I've been thinking about your post. For me, I do best eating a lot of food, which means a lot of vegetables! I try to get decent protein too. I still try to pay attention to how full I feel. Examples of recent meals are about a pound of vegetables with eggs, yogurt an apple and a pear, large spring green salads with lots of diced vegetables beans and sunflower seeds, and salmon or beans with half a plate of roasted veggies. I do well most of the time eating this way. I usually avoid distractions when I'm eating so I can enjoy my food. Sounds geeky but when i eat my salad at lunch i actually think of how it's nourishing my body. If I'm in the mood for snacking, I'll have frozen blueberries or cut-up vegetables with Tajin on them or dip them in a yogurt dressing. Now where I run into trouble is when I'm out-of-town and don't have my own food or healthy stuff to order from a menu! Being used to a lot of food isn't good at buffets! So while I have a good plan and like what I eat daily, I struggle when out of my routine. And they say to wait 20 minutes before getting seconds, I do think that helps.

I'm also of the second school of thought - I LOVE to eat, munch, chow down, and having my plate almost completely covered with vegetables makes that possible. I think the purpose of the slowing down and eating mindfully is to deal with trigger foods - I know I cannot stop if I start on those - but avoiding those as much as possible and loading up on vegetables, legumes, and fruit makes it possible to eat large volume of food without any bad consequences. I avoid grains for the most part, and have to be careful with nuts. I add a reasonable amount of protein and not too much fat, and it works for me. I do not find it helpful to feel ashamed of eating and enjoying it, or to control the speed or amount of time I have to take to do it. Controlling which things I go for makes a huge difference. What works for you?

Yep. Usually I'm not hungry when I think I am, I just want to chew. But I also prefer eating food while its fresh/hot. I'm slowly realizing that this is a big contributing factor in how I sometimes eat until I'm in physical pain.

One of my strategies is just to put very little on my plate and leave. Having to get up and head back into the kitchen for more slows me down, gives me a chance to determine if I really need more food. It's how I can eat pizza again (my biggest trigger food aside from Doritos), I just take one slice at a time into another room.

I guess my brain really works on "out of sight out of mind."
  • jugar
    Options
    HEADS UP! Wednesday weigh-ins:
    @Fourathomej
    @offitgoes
    @Juliemargaretkim

Thanks! And give us a bit of news, too - ok?
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    PW: 177.2
    CW: 175.6
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Well September is turning out not to be my friend. Scale hasn't moved much this month. I will take even the smallest loss that I have achieved. Watch out October I'm coming for you.
  • AmyRobF
    AmyRobF Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was doing great today and my mom called and asked if I wanted a donut! Of course I did so I ate it. She was waiting to go to the doctor. I’m glad she came over! Tonight is church and we are having pizza so I’m going to have one slice and no dessert. I will try to remember the tasty donut from earlier. I am at 208 and would love to be 199 by the new year. This is my goal. I want to feel better and look a little better! I’m going to start stretching and exercising at least 4 times a week. I found I need goals!!
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN CHECK THIS OUT

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10766086/reinvent-yourself/p1?new=1

POP OVER TO THIS LINK AND SUPPORT OUR GROUP AS WE ARE REGISTERING FOR THE OCTOBER CHALLENGE
    COME ON NOW ALL TOGETHER NOW 1 2 3 GO
This discussion has been closed.