TEAM: The Slimsons (November)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.
ยซ13456732

Replies

• AB0215
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons and Welcome to November!!

My name is Ashley @AB0215 I will be your captain for this month.

Here's a little about me:
    I am 33, and I have been overweight basically my entire life and in the last 3 years or so, I decided to change that, I have been working towards that goal for the past 2 years. I'm down over 100 lbs and I still have a way to go, but I will get there. Let's do this!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and share your goals for the month, I'd actually like to encourage this as I know that for me it helps me to have some accountability and helps me reach my goals when I share them..and with that in mind, my goal this month is to lose 5 pounds. I've been training for an Olympic Style Weight lifting competition and that was late last year, did okay, now I have some things to work on before my next one!

I'd like to help us be as successful as possible and if I can help in any way, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, I look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

I am committed to this group and to help where I can, and please let me know if I can help in any way!!
    Side note--I follow a Ketogenic diet for any that may be interested, I have tons of recipes and resources for anyone interested.

Welcome to November and let's make things happen this month together!!

Your Captain,
    Ashley (@AB0215)
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    WELCOME WELCOME Team Slimsons TO NOVEMBER CHALLENGE!

WE MADE IT ANOTHER MONTH!

WHETHER WE LOST WEIGHT OR GAIN!

WE DIDN'T GIVE UP OR THROW IN THE TOWEL!

SO CLAP YOURSELVES ON THE BACK AND CELEBRATE!
    ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽŠ

My name is Gloria @gjaholy33, once again I will be your Co-captain which means motivating and keeping track of your weight.

I am 40 years old and still trying to lose 200lbs.

These past few months have been difficult cause as part of my healing process I need to find out with triggers my binge eating so the scale is going topsy turvy with me delving deep into my emotional psyche with my psychologist. So there will be times that I lapse in keeping the team motivated so I just ask that you bare with me as I go through with this healing process. It's tough but sometimes we have to go back before we move forward.

A little more about my history: I have always been obese since the age of 8 weighing 176lbs. Even with parents and doctors putting me on various diets as I child.

Just to encourage those who are struggling with staying on track I have been trying to get healthy since 2010 and it's a constant struggle but I've learn to set short attainable goals in order to succeed.

I always set goals for myself and this month my goals are:

Be more active in this group as I've been slacking due to my health issues. (currently an impatient at Jacobi Hospital as I post this)

Try to be more active and get out the bed more

lose 10lbs!

Exercise 10-15 minutes every other day.

REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ
    Glorious Gloria @gjaholy33๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพโคโค
  • gjaholy33
    edited October 2019
    Options
    ABOUT THE CHALLENGES & REQUIRED WEIGHT POSTINGS

We are also going to be running (Optional) Mini-challenges again this month: Question of the Week (assuming I can remember to do that) and Daily Posts

First and foremost is that participation in these challenges is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours, but I would like to encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and thinking about our goals on a daily basis and it's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challengeย is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.

#1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

****End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognized in the thread as being part of the weekly "Winners Circle".

A side note as there has been a bit of confusion for new members in the past, this is not the same as the official results, which are weight based, this is just another tool to help you reach your weight loss goals.

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10 mile run, activity is activity, anything that gets you up and moving!).
    Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgement free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on the next day!

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

Your posts should look like this:
    Daily Post (Sunday/Date)

Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Goals/Day/Comments: (Tell us a brief description about your how your day went or your goals for the day)

The Question of the Week Challengeย is a fun participation booster and we will be using it sometimes just as fun and sometimes it can help to foster new ideas for others as we all are different and have different experiences so sharing ideas can help someone else with motivation of freshening up their routine even!! Keep on the lookout for these questions.

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: November Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)

Please, please setup your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier for us to track your progress for the challenges and the weight loss!!

We'd like to help you be as successful as possible and if we can help in any way, please let us know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, we look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

We are committed to this group and to help where we can, and please let us know if we can help in any way!!

Once again Welcome to NOVEMBER Challenge!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽŠ

Your Captain Ashley (@AB0215)ย &
    Co-captain Gloria (@Gjaholy33)
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    AN ENCOURAGING NOTE TO NEW & RETURNING MEMBERS

vh787w1zvo9t.jpg

WE HAVE A LOT OF ROCKSTARS IN THIS GROUP! Our Rockstars have put their own troubles aside to encourage ANOTHER person who is struggling and is just about to give in. These ROCKSTARS in this group ought to have recognition for what many of you HAVE DONE. I've observe how this TEAM SLIMSONS HAVE TRANSFORM OVER THE PAST YEAR DUE TO OUR MOTIVATION TO HELP OTHERS. IT'S NOT JUST THE CAPTAINS BUT EVERYONE IS SUPPORTING ONE ANOTHER. This is a team I think everyone who joins ought to be proud of whether you participate by just posting your weight or actually engaging in the daily challenge.

ONCE AGAIN WELCOME & KUDOS TO OUR ROCKSTARS! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ
  • lucysaunders1691
    lucysaunders1691 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Username: lucysaunders1691

I have been using mfp on and off for the last 5yrs but now I feel dedicated to stay and keep track of what I am eating

I need to start this weight loss journey for so many reasons, I will weigh in on Sunday to start the month.
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    3athlt wrote: ยป
    username = 3athlt

I've had an MFP account for a number of years. MFP was instrumental as I once weighed over 325 pounds (about 218 now).

I was doing moderately well, but I faced some serious adversity last year - my fiance suddenly died 90 days before we getting married. As I grieved, I gained about 50 pounds. This spring, I finally decided to get back to being healthy and completed another 1/2 marathon. My summer was filled with sprint distance triathlons and even a Spartan Race. Also in the spring, I re-joined my CrossFit gym. I got serious about CrossFit over the past 60 days and I've made a lot of progress.

Last week I signed up for a full distance Ironman triathlon! However, I need to lose 40 pounds but I have 1 year to do it. Ideally I'll lose my weight in 8 months, but since I lift a lot of weights at CrossFit I may not meet that 40 pound goal.

I weigh in every day, but for the purposes of this challenge I'll count my Monday weight.

My final goal is after I meet a few more personal goals (i.e. Ironman, and get REALLY good at CrossFit) I will get my personal trainer certification. I'll specialize in working with people that have 100 or more pounds to lose. I should relate well to these folks, as I've literally walked a mile in their shoes and I know the physical and mental challenges of being 100+ pounds overweight. I have an unconventional approach to aerobic training, but it was very effective for me. If you want details on my approach, feel free to send me a private message and I'll "coach you up - my way". Obviously I can't promise results, but I believe the way I approach aerobic training is the healthiest way for those folks that have over 100 pounds to lose.

I want to wish everyone good luck on their journey! :-)

I love hearing stories like this! So awesome! Good luck with your last forty, as well as your training.
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    username = 3athlt

My final goal is after I meet a few more personal goals (i.e. Ironman, and get REALLY good at CrossFit)

Doing an Ironaman i such a blast!!
    Remember the feeling of total shutdown in the entire body, but still finding a way to continue. It is probably the achievement I am most proud of completing. I was back then not too fit, a little too fat and my longest swim was probably 1k.

• karsei01
    Options
    Hi there!

Back after about a year (different group, but still).
    I was on a good track in 2017-18. Went from 260ish to 210. But thn I started working two jobs, and stopped exercising and ate too much.
    Started exercising again i august, so am stronger, but not leaner...
    Long term goal is getting under 200..

I am 40 yo from Norway. I have a modern family (two kids every second week, my wife had one boy (adhd an post traumatic stress) and we have a beautifull little daughter.
    I work full time as a n economic controller in a state prison, and besides that I do about 50% as a healt care worker.

Used to bike and run a good bit, but beeing to time consuming for a life with lots of work and lots of kids, I now tend to get 2-5 sterngth wko/week.

Looking forward to this challenge!
  • karsei01
    Options
    Just a newbie question:
    I gave a sw in the registration thread. And do weigh-ins at mondays.
    So my first i monday 4.? and then I report the loss from this week?
  • AB0215
    Options
    Just a newbie question:
    I gave a sw in the registration thread. And do weigh-ins at mondays.
    So my first i monday 4.? and then I report the loss from this week?

@karsei01 Yes, your first weigh in is Monday Nov 4 since the challenge officially begins with Sunday November 3.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Username LadyRN76

I have been on MFP forever (going on 10 years)!! And lost all my weight using tracking and learning exercise. Unfortunately, I gained about 25 pounds back about 3 years ago and they won't budge. I am stuck. Literally. I creep up a couple of pounds, drop a pound and it's wearing on me.
    (5 pounds gone, so now 20 to go!!!)

I have little true support and accountability here besides my husband. My running and bike partner cancels at least 50-75% of the time. I'm learning to workout completely solo. It's a different vibe for sure.

I'm an ER director in north central Texas, but that may be changing soon. I have an exciting opportunity that may cut my workload in half!

I turned 43 last month. My goal was quite lofty, 8 pounds. I lost 5. Slow but steady progress esp with the holiday season coming!
    My weigh in days are Thursday, and my last weigh in was 158.9. I'll weigh Thursday to start the month. Good luck and hello to everyone! I love this group!
    @LadyRN76 Welcome back!! Glad to see you're still working at it, and while you didn't quite make your entire goal last month, you did still lose 5 lbs and that's 5 lbs you're not carrying around!! Congrats!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Username: lucysaunders1691

I have been using mfp on and off for the last 5yrs but now I feel dedicated to stay and keep track of what I am eating

I need to start this weight loss journey for so many reasons, I will weigh in on Sunday to start the month.

@lucysaunders1691 Welcome, glad you're with us!
  • AB0215
    Options
    username = 3athlt

I've had an MFP account for a number of years. MFP was instrumental as I once weighed over 325 pounds (about 218 now).

I was doing moderately well, but I faced some serious adversity last year - my fiance suddenly died 90 days before we getting married. As I grieved, I gained about 50 pounds. This spring, I finally decided to get back to being healthy and completed another 1/2 marathon. My summer was filled with sprint distance triathlons and even a Spartan Race. Also in the spring, I re-joined my CrossFit gym. I got serious about CrossFit over the past 60 days and I've made a lot of progress.

Last week I signed up for a full distance Ironman triathlon! However, I need to lose 40 pounds but I have 1 year to do it. Ideally I'll lose my weight in 8 months, but since I lift a lot of weights at CrossFit I may not meet that 40 pound goal.

I weigh in every day, but for the purposes of this challenge I'll count my Monday weight.

My final goal is after I meet a few more personal goals (i.e. Ironman, and get REALLY good at CrossFit) I will get my personal trainer certification. I'll specialize in working with people that have 100 or more pounds to lose. I should relate well to these folks, as I've literally walked a mile in their shoes and I know the physical and mental challenges of being 100+ pounds overweight. I have an unconventional approach to aerobic training, but it was very effective for me. If you want details on my approach, feel free to send me a private message and I'll "coach you up - my way". Obviously I can't promise results, but I believe the way I approach aerobic training is the healthiest way for those folks that have over 100 pounds to lose.

I want to wish everyone good luck on their journey! :-)

@3athlt Welcome!! I can't imagine how hard it's been for you, and I'm glad to see that you're trying to get back to a healthy lifestyle, and crossfit is amazing.
    I'm actually working towards finishing my weight loss and looking into getting my personal training certifications as well, I've already lost over 100 lbs and it was a personal trainer who really changed my life and I'd like to help as many people as I can myself. I tend to believe that weight loss is mostly tied to diet and that adding in exercise as you can helps, but the results tend to come most from dietary changes and intake.
    Glad to have you on board! Welcome !!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Hi there!

Back after about a year (different group, but still).
    I was on a good track in 2017-18. Went from 260ish to 210. But thn I started working two jobs, and stopped exercising and ate too much.
    Started exercising again i august, so am stronger, but not leaner...
    Long term goal is getting under 200..

I am 40 yo from Norway. I have a modern family (two kids every second week, my wife had one boy (adhd an post traumatic stress) and we have a beautifull little daughter.
    I work full time as a n economic controller in a state prison, and besides that I do about 50% as a healt care worker.

Used to bike and run a good bit, but beeing to time consuming for a life with lots of work and lots of kids, I now tend to get 2-5 sterngth wko/week.

Looking forward to this challenge!

@karsei01 Welcome!! Glad to see that you're well on your way to your healthy life!!
  • caloricus
    caloricus Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Slimsons,

I am a 55 year old lifetime yo-yo dieter. I can get really serious about dieting and be successful but I can also be serious about overeating. So in the last 19 years I have had 3 very successful weight losses that I maintained for about a year each. And between those I have had lots of minimally successful weight losses that have lasted only a few months. Usually those minimal successes are tied into a goal event for which I am either trying to feel healthier or skinnier, or both. My weight fluctuations have spread over a fifty pound range.

I am most successful when I track my food intake and when I feel accountable to something like these challenges on MFP.

I do feel like dieting, and then maintenance, is a full time job and that it is hard to stick with it when so many things in life also pull on your time commitments.

As to my current situation, I am a breast cancer survivor who started struggling with my weight after I finished my radiation treatment in May of 2015 and went on Tamoxifen in July of 2015. After that time I found myself falling asleep shortly after sitting down. I would eat to keep myself awake. Now, four years later, I would like to get myself to a much healthier weight and lifestyle before I come off the Tamoxifen next summer. I anticipate that it will effect the way I feel again. Hopefully not, but I want to be prepared.

My short term goal is six weeks from now when I leave with my dog for an important agility competition. I want to feel my best when we are competing.

I am excited to be part of this group. Thanks for including me.

• southgirl94
    southgirl94 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Iโ€™m not sure if Iโ€™m doing this correctly, but Iโ€™ll try.

My goal is to drop (from my current weight) six pounds. From my freshman year of college to now (so six years), I gained 55 pounds. I have battled depression and anxiety over the years, one of my worst and most recent episodes being June-July 2019, and the only way I could escape the madness and force myself into the world was walking at a local nature preserve near my apartment. Iโ€™ve since moved across town, have a more stable living situation, and Iโ€™ve joined a gym. My schedule doesnโ€™t allow me to walk outside as much, but I try to go to the gym 2-3x for an hour or so at a time. My short-term goal is to lose those six pounds and gain stamina where Iโ€™m not out of breath walking up stairs.
  • smallhippo1
    smallhippo1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I'm 37 and from UK I have been struggling with my weight and done various diets some successful some not for about 10 years I have always gained back any weight I lost.
    At the moment I weigh 190lbs which is the heaviest I have ever been and is making me feel so bad both physically and emotionally right now.
    I really need to make this the last time I restart and I'm hoping being part of this group will keep me accountable, I have a gym membership which I dont use nearly enough but my goal is to stick to my calories every day and exercise at least 3times a week as well as hit 10000 steps.
    Good luck to everyone
This discussion has been closed.