WAIST AWAYS - NOVEMBER CHAT

Options

Replies

• Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I thought that was a good article, @micki48. I agree with you it’s all about progress not perfection. It’s also about staying with it even if you aren’t losing or losing very slowly. I usually don’t lose much each week but it all adds up. In the past, I would do pretty well until it got to the holidays and then get so far off track i wouldn’t get back on. Now I might gain some but am able to lose it in a week or two so I guess that “muscle memory” is working for me. Another thing you talked about was taking a break. I weigh in on Fridays and on Friday’s I’m looser with what I eat and don’t really worry about it at all. It’s nice to have that to look forward to all week. All in all it’s taken me years to lose almost 62lbs but like you said progress not perfection!!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    For cardio, one I used to do when recovering from a nasty torn meniscus is bouncing around on a Swiss ball. They are inexpensive and you can do all kinds of exercises with them. But for saving feet and knees, I just turned on some great tunes and bounced around on it - just aerobic enough to work up a good sweat, and gets everyone in the house laughing if anyone is there... If you get one, be sure to buy the right size for your height. I'm really short, so a 45 or 55 cm is plenty, but you might need a bigger one. And be sure to blow it up good and tight! A little hand pump is inexpensive, but I always have to finish blowing up "by hand" or by lung, more like. That in itself is a good exercise for the diaphragm :flushed:/quote]

@jugar I love this idea! I have a ball I bounce around on too. It's a great way to get in steps (I think it's as vigorous) and fun way to get some NEAT calories. I'll be off to bounce in a few minutes.

@Connie4873 Glad you liked the article. I'm 56 and find this is a VERY slow process of losing for me as well. But, I do see positive changes and I am sticking to my New Years 2018 resolution for the FIRST TIME EVER!! Like you, I also allow myself a looser day on my weigh in day. It's just important to remind myself to tighten it up right away the next day. Some weeks, you have lots of active minutes and some weeks (pssst...THIS one) you have 10 active minutes! :o I know I have been moving getting 8K steps just about every day, but no exercise at gym or taking walks will get me 0 minutes a day. Happy to hear the step challenge is motivating for you too.

Some friends have a lot of steps to report. Check the spreadsheet, hope I didn't miss any. @eyezbydiana I need yours, unless you're waiting until tomorrow.
  • micki48
    Options
    @jugar Oh Liselyn, I had to wear a belt 2x this week. My pants keep falling down. LOL :D Also, do any of you losers find that as the weight comes off, and your jeans get loser, it makes your undies fall down? LOL Or maybe this is just a me problem. :D:p:D
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,087 Member
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    @jugar Oh Liselyn, I had to wear a belt 2x this week. My pants keep falling down. LOL :D Also, do any of you losers find that as the weight comes off, and your jeans get loser, it makes your undies fall down? LOL Or maybe this is just a me problem. :D:p:D

Oh dear. I thought it was just me... I really hate that!!!
  • jugar
    Options
    HEADS UP! Saturday weigh-ins to end Week 3!
    @evangsimmons170
    @matthewsfive
    @Micki48
    @eyezbydiana

And still need
    @tdrjustus3
    @cory17

Let's finish up this week however it shakes out!
  • eyezbydiana
    eyezbydiana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Weight this morning 🙄 @jugar
    Steps @micki48
    11/16: 6,901
    11/17: 6,171
    11/18: 7,111
    11/19: 7,894
    11/20: 9,281
    11/21: 7,421
    11/22: 12,028
    Sorry for the delay
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    HEADS UP! Saturday weigh-ins to end Week 3!
    @evangsimmons170
    @matthewsfive
    @Micki48
    @eyezbydiana

And still need
    @tdrjustus3
    @cory17

PW 345.6
    CW 344

@evangsimmons170
  • micki48
    Options
    Saturday weigh in
    Week 3
    PW 194.8
    CW 195.6

I know I ate more calories this week and did not actively exercise.

Goals for next week.
    1. Keep calories below 1600
    2. Exercise 3x or more for thirty minutes.
    3. Log everything (I did this this week)
    4. Drink 70-80 ounces
    5. Eat mindfully
  • micki48
    Options
    Steps @micki48
    Sorry for the delay

No problem. Just checking on you my friend! What an awesome stepping day yesterday. Way to end the week.

PW 345.6
    CW 344

@evangsimmons170

Nice loss Rhonda. Way to go. 👏🏼👏🏼🎉🎉
    Do you have steps for Tues- Sat?
  • eyezbydiana
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Steps @micki48
    Sorry for the delay

No problem. Just checking on you my friend! What an awesome stepping day yesterday. Way to end the week.

PW 345.6
    CW 344

@evangsimmons170

Nice loss Rhonda. Way to go. 👏🏼👏🏼🎉🎉
    Do you have steps for Tues- Sat?

Yes, amazing how much walking you can do shopping lol!!!!
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    matthewsfive
    Saturday week 3
    PW 187.4
    CW 185.2
  • matthewsfive
    Options
    matthewsfive
    Saturday week 3
    PW 187.4
    CW 185.2

Sorry for the late posting was out all morning and didn't get to give my weight until 12. I hope its not too late.
  • jugar
    Options
    matthewsfive
    Saturday week 3
    PW 187.4
    CW 185.2

Sorry for the late posting was out all morning and didn't get to give my weight until 12. I hope its not too late.

It is only too late if it isn't there by 7 am tomorrow! On Saturday, you have all day :smile: So you're not late at all, and your loss is FANTASTIC! Well done.
  • eyezbydiana
    Options
    Ahhhhh!!!!!!
    I just can't get under control with not having a kitchen during renovations. I feel like I just keep whining, but I sort of just want to scream AHHHHH
    Ok all done lol
    Now onto my actual post..
    I find myself addicted to sweets this past few months.. considering doing a sugar detox for a bit... maybe until Thanksgiving.... or Christmas.. might be too optimistic? Any advice?
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Friday is under way! Some terrific weigh-ins - go @connie7355 @Steph1498 (YES, you LOST) and @Shexio :smiley:

@Pearl4686 and me and anyone having a struggle this week - yep. There are times where we slide around for a while. You know what to do - but it is hard to get yourself to do it. I have not had a good week, and one thing that has helped avoid bigger disaster is to visualise the eating of the thing I know is not a good idea. Visualise it thoroughly. The beginning feels great - the texture, the mouth feel, the yumminess. Then feel it going down. Really feel it in the stomach, sitting there feeling heavy. Then the aftermath - how is that food really going to make me feel? Keep going. Sometimes that is enough to stop me from buying it (several times this week with ice cream or cheese bread). If it is in the house, it keeps me away. But try to have an alternative too. I'm sure everyone is different, but if you're craving sweet/fat or salt/crunch/fat - go for sour. A great big dill pickle or 3. Or (my fave for sweet cravings) a whole beautiful red grapefruit. Peel it (takes a while), get all the thick white stuff off (takes a while), section it and enjoy. After those sour things, anything sweet or fatty tastes terrible for a while. It breaks the direct link from temptation to grab.

Anyone else have tips for temptations? Little tricks that help you avoid a pitfall?

Thanks @jugar this is great advice for me actually, I totally forgot about grapefruit, which I love! And yes, it takes a while to peel, which means that craving might subside.
    On the plus-side, weekends are normally my worst days (loads of spare time hanging around at home with kids) but for the first time in ages, I've managed to stick to normal meals, not great ones, no logging, but just decent food and no snacking, so I count it as a major win!
  • matthewsfive
    Options
    Ahhhhh!!!!!!
    I just can't get under control with not having a kitchen during renovations. I feel like I just keep whining, but I sort of just want to scream AHHHHH
    Ok all done lol
    I find myself addicted to sweets this past few months.. considering doing a sugar detox for a bit... maybe until Thanksgiving.... or Christmas.. might be too optimistic? Any advice?

I think it would be easier if you wean yourself off. Look for sugar free options. Start there and then go with maybe start with 5 days a week then keep taking a day away and in 5 weeks you might not miss the sweets as much and might of found some sugar free options that work and that you like. My number one sugar free is Jello whenever I get a craving for sweets I grab a jello and it seem to get me through. You got this.
  • jugar
    Options
    Wow! All the Saturday weigh-ins are IN! Thanks, everyone.

For the week we are only missing
    @tdrjustus3 and
    @cory17

Hopefully you're OK !
  • tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Tdrjustus3
    PW: 289.4
    CW: 290.4
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
  • micki48
    Options
    Ahhhhh!!!!!!
    Ok all done lol

Not having a kitchen to use is definitely a challenge. Can you get healthy frozen meals to put in the microwave? I find Cedar’s chicken protein bowl delicious.

I have found that I have fewer cravings for sugar as I reduce my sugar. So weaning yourself off it may help. But if you totally restrict yourself, that may be exactly what you crave, so you may need to bargain with yourself. For example, if you exercise you get one sweet indulgence or you can have a sweet after your weekly weigh in. Ultimately, you’ll have to play around and see what works for you. Even keeping some notes on when you want sweets the most may help you figure out triggers. Also, sometimes when I want something, I tell myself I have to drink a whole glass of water first. Sometimes I end up not wanting it and sometimes I have it. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.