Jumpstart January 2020 Challenge!

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one is starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, I have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP those resolutions this year.
It's the perfect time to Jumpstart your health!

I do go on and on about one B-word. The Basics. Why? Because they're important. It may not be sexy, or catchy, but take it from a person who lost the weight and has kept the majority of it off (Hey! I'm human. It's probably vanity weight, but it offends me with it's existence, alright? :lol: .) Keeping the low-carb basics locked-in is where it's at if you are wanting to actually succeed long-term. Minding the Basics will continue to serve you all the way to your goal weight and will keep you in maintenance.

So what are these Basics?
  • Planning ahead!!!
  • Staying under carbs
  • Staying under calories
  • Logging and measuring
  • Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
  • Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
  • Getting enough water
  • Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because you must! "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There were lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Let us know your resolutions, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month if you aren't much into resolutions. Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan Basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. Anything is fair game as long as it's in pursuit of your health or fitness. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Before you start, think about your goals. For measurable resolutions, we recommend getting a baseline.

Here are some ideas (abridged from @FIT_Goat in this post For Those with New Year Resolutions):
  • Get an average of your most recent weigh-ins for a good idea of your starting weight.
  • Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
  • Take body measurements and pictures. To make sure they are accurate, take several sets of measurements and average them. Or watch this video on how to measure yourself so that you are actually measuring the same spots every time. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
  • Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.
  • If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement, like how many cigs or packs per day. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make.
Remember changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror. The scale is lazy and doesn't always readily reflect genuine progress. Measurements and pics will help you really see what's going on behind the scenes. And speaking of invisible progress, how you feel (improved health and/or energy) are great markers that your change is working.

Sooooo...go ahead and introduce yourself and/or post your goals when you are ready. Challenge starts on the 1st.

Here's a sample format for how you can report on various goals if you'd like:
Monday 1/1:

Water: Yep. :flowerforyou:
Electrolytes Good: :flowerforyou:
Logged Food: :flowerforyou:
Exercise as Planned: Strength training :flowerforyou:
At or Under Carb Level: :flowerforyou:
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! :flowerforyou:
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! :flowerforyou:
7/7

This is a fresh new year.
Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We're in! 😸 Keeping up with the December challenge has been really good for us to like stick with the resolve and determination & all that stuff. The daily check-ins help us stay focused. 😺

Probably gonna keep the same set of like goals & stuff as we have for December, but we'll finalize that in time for the 1st.

Still avoiding the scale & stuff cos its usually a mean depressing liar lol. 😼 We'll get to it eventually...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    January will be maintenance for me...even though the scale only went down 1.5 lbs in Nov and was totally stuck in Dec, I was eating at loss calorie levels, and I'm starting to look a bit ribby, plus my torso measurements are down a bit in the belly and a lot in the hips, so there is clearly some fat loss even from Dec (I think)...I inevitably fail if I try to loose for long stretches of time, so January is back to maintenance...I was good about my strength training but a bit neglectful of my stretching and way neglectful of my cardio for the last few months, so the focus will be cardio, plus decent stretching, and some maintenance level strength training...going to go with EDT (Escalating Density Training) because it has a time limit and that makes it easier to fit in...also going to continue with a focus on macros over calories and getting all the protein!!! I normally don't log exercise, but I think in January I'll start logging that and see how I do.

d14bs5t81ak7.png
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’m definitely in for jumpstarting January. I’m going to try and continue ad libitum for the month-I fluctuated in December so maybe January will result in a loss without all the temptations around. I did some measurements so even if the scale doesn’t move maybe there will be some inch losses. I’ll also focus on increasing my water consumption and cut the snacks. My fasting target will be 16:8- I do this most days so should be pretty doable. Good luck everyone!
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    After losing 55 lbs in 2019, I am finding maintenance to be challenging, not because I am regaining but because I have not mentally/emotionally fully made the transition. I think I have found my maintenance range at 108-112 (I am 5’3”) and I believe I am close to finding a good calorie intake with macro balance. In January I am going to work on consistency without obsessing over perfection. I want to stay within my range for the full month.

I read a lot on the maintenance board and have gotten some great insight there, but the mention of macros and/or carbs sends a lot of people into a frenzy, so I very rarely post there. I find a sense of community and accountability through regular check ins to be very healthy for me, so thank you to those who participate here.
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 50lbs by June 2020. I lost 50lbs about 6 years ago (my profile pic) and felt great, but my mind didn't catch up with my body's transformation and it was like I was in a dream, not grasping the whole thing mentally. I also lost weight very fast (5 months) by tracking and exercising like crazy. My body has changed significantly over the past 6 years by adding hypthyroidism to my health chart and having my hip replaced 1-1/2 years ago. I'm ready to take charge and lose this weight permanently, this time!
  • lucydarrah
    lucydarrah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am up for this.
  • lucydarrah
    lucydarrah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know it varies but what do you recommend for carb and calorie limits? I am a 50 some year old woman, 5 ft 3 inches, 168 pounds and do very little exercise. I lost over 30 pounds a few years ago by keeping my calories under 1500 most days and exercising about 3 days a week but then got stuck, slowly but steadily gained back 18 pounds. When I plateaued I got frustrated and just said the heck with it and lost my momentum. I am going to try the low carber to see if that helps me. I welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    The MFP calculator for calories is actually pretty good, if you put in your stats and what you want to lose/gain/etc it does a good job spitting out a calorie goal.

This is another one that goes into a lot of detail if you want more custom goals:

land-boards.com/KetoCalc.html
  • cestabrook
    cestabrook Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ready to start weight has not gone down in months frustrated, does anynone know a site for healthy low carb meals. want to lose 10 pounds to start will be thrilled if i can do that
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I just did the math on actual calories intake in December - I did end up loosing 2 lbs, so not the full 3 lbs goal, but something at least...and I adjusted my calories down for January to reflect my actual maintenance calories, as well as adjusting my spreadsheet formulas accordingly...1765 calories will be my daily January goal...still haven't done my caliper measurements, but my scale says I'm down to 17.8% body fat, so that's good enough for me...if I get up on time tomorrow morning I'll do the caliper measurements and get them logged!!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    I just did the math on actual calories intake in December - I did end up loosing 2 lbs, so not the full 3 lbs goal, but something at least...and I adjusted my calories down for January to reflect my actual maintenance calories, as well as adjusting my spreadsheet formulas accordingly...1765 calories will be my daily January goal...still haven't done my caliper measurements, but my scale says I'm down to 17.8% body fat, so that's good enough for me...if I get up on time tomorrow morning I'll do the caliper measurements and get them logged!!!

NICE!
  • baconslave
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I really should stop slacking. January is "World Carnivore Month." I should start a thread or two and get a measure of the interest in that. The carnivore group is quiet these days.

It's not like you've been hella busy for a long time or anything. :smirk:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance, working on my 3rd year. While I am staying where I want to be weight wise, I need to stay focused on getting my exercise and finally learning to actually use a meal planner to simplify and stay on track. In the past when I got to my goal weight, I'm a WW lifetimer, within 3 years, I had started gaining back and by the 4th year, I had gained everything plus a bunch more back. Not going to happen this time.
    So I will be reporting in here and I am doing the 5 week keto meals run by dietdoctor.com's Kristie Sullivan so I can start out 2020 strong and I know I love this WOE and it can keep me from gaining it all back.

Goals:
    Report in here and the DD Facebook group daily.
    Keep the carbs within the guidelines of the DD 5 week challenge
    Follow the meal plans and make any substitutions ahead of time, not when I open the fridge!
    Attend Body Flex or use at home weights 2 x a week.
    Attend Zumba class and do 2 sessions at home with the DVD.
    Look in the full length mirror at least 3 x a week and journal about what I see. I have body image issues :(.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I really should stop slacking. January is "World Carnivore Month." I should start a thread or two and get a measure of the interest in that. The carnivore group is quiet these days.

It's not like you've been hella busy for a long time or anything. :smirk:

Yes, but that should be mostly done now. No more excuses.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Deep breath... and ready to dive in!
    68qsamlll7mu.png
This discussion has been closed.