2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I received my request form for a mail in ballot yesterday. Under normal conditions, I would just plan to do early voting in person, but with COVID still out of control in my area, I don’t know if that’s a good plan or not. Who knows if conditions will be better or worse by then? On the other hand, with the way tRump is manipulating the postal service, I have no faith that my mail in ballot will arrive in time and be counted. Added to that concern is the fact that I live in a republican stronghold and I have concerns about mail in ballots mysteriously disappearing or not being counted even if they do arrive in time. I think I will request the ballot just in case conditions worsen, but early vote in person if I possibly can.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    My town hall has a drop off box in the wall. I’ve used it in the past to drop off tax payments. Mail in ballots can be dropped in that box so it wouldn’t have to be mailed back. Does your city have anything like that? I’m leaning towards early voting. I live in a small town so I think voters would be spread out over the course of the day. We did it before and there were only a few people in line. We’ll try it for the primary. We can get the mail in ballot of and drop it off at town hall for November if early voting doesn’t work as well as I hope.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    We have requested mail-in ballots but the cheeto's antics are concerning. Do we have no one capable/willing to restrain him?

I've had all kinds of wild ideas. E.g. national guard could guard drop off boxes. But of course republican/swing states wouldn't do that and that's where it needs done.

I've had several volunteers tell me they haven't gotten their newsletters and we sent those out with stamps on them this time. We didn't even use bulk mail.
  • mdubbs1
    OOH, OOH, I KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!!! (DH makes fun of my lack of technical know-how.)

udwzc0ebocb1.png

• mdubbs1
    bqfkqhx72l97.png
  • mdubbs1
    0abnp3en9qkk.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I logged my breakfast so that is the start for the day. I never pay attention to the notation at the end of the day that says something like "Based upon today, if you continue then at the end of 30 days, you will lose x pounds." Liars!

aeccz8esfjcm.png

• mdubbs1
    Jean - love it!!!
  • PamS53
    i3mfxrebjkol.jpeg
  • Helene610
    Great memes. I can especially relate to sounds of apathy. I’m working on increasing my steps. I only did half my usual total the day we drove to the dentist 7 hours of driving will do that. My knee stiffened up a bit just from that one day of less activity. It’s not as bad as when I first decided I needed to walk more. But it’s a good motivator to get up and move every hour.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - too funny!

Helene - 7 hours of driving? Wow!
  • mdubbs1
    A very early photo of the street I grew up on (our house can't be seen because of the church):

l1kma90l5r5g.png
  • mdubbs1
    79mdaub1zjr8.png
  • Helene610
    Michelle Obama’s speech was a thing of beauty. There’s a woman of grace, dignity and gravitas. She really laid out why Trump is the wrong person in this job. I loved Bernie’s comparison to Nero fiddled while Rome burned and Trump golfs. On another note, I wonder what his golf scores are. You never read anything about that. Do you think he cheats?
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Michelle Obama’s speech was a thing of beauty. There’s a woman of grace, dignity and gravitas. She really laid out why Trump is the wrong person in this job. I loved Bernie’s comparison to Nero fiddled while Rome burned and Trump golfs. On another note, I wonder what his golf scores are. You never read anything about that. Do you think he cheats?

Is the Pope Catholic?????
  • PamS53
    He cheats at everything else in his life. Why wouldn’t he cheat at golf, too?
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Pam--Love the meme!! Yes, the sounds of apathy abound!!

Maryanne--Love the pic! It is so interesting to compare then and now, and look at the changes.

Helene--I drove 5 straight hours yesterday with just one break long enough to go to the bathroom. When I got out of the car at the destination, I was so stiff I had problems walking.
  • PamS53
    So, I have a question for you who are knowledgeable about cat behavior. I have a friend who seems to allow her cats to do anything they want with few consequences. She seems convinced that they won’t respond to any disciplinary efforts on her part. Example: one of her cats (she has 4) will shred her paper towel roll anytime she leaves it out. She keeps it in the refrigerator because he seems able to find and destroy it if she leaves it anywhere else. She works from home and today one of her cats was knocking everything off her desk. She yelled at it and now the cat is sulking in the corner, so she is apologizing to the cat for yelling. She truly believes that cats can’t learn not to do things like shredding paper towels or knocking things off the desk, and that it is not possible to discipline them. She said she normally just picks him up and puts him outside her office and closes the door, but then he stands at the door and cries. What are your thoughts?
  • mdubbs1
    Pam -

That's a tough question to answer.

When it came to something like a towel roll, I admit I'd be with your friend - I'd just keep it out of reach.

Cats can learn, sort of. Tuffy, for example, knows he's not supposed to be on my desk. I accomplished that with cans of compressed air (traditionally people used water bottles; that's a lot messier). That doesn't mean he doesn't get on my desk. It means he takes off like a flash whenever he sees me seeing him there.

If I want to know who's on the cat porch, I just shake a bag of treats near the opening and in they come. They also have learned the sounds of - can opener, vacuum cleaner, knock on front door - and each responds in his/her own way to such sounds.

They've learned our routines. Indy comes out of nowhere after we eat dinner because she knows she then gets cuddle time. Tuffy comes from nowhere when it's evening TV/couch time. They know the bedtime routine. They know the morning routine. Etc.

On the other hand, I've been trying what seems like forever to get Sammy to stop attacking Jack.

Keep in mind I've always had a multiple cat household. And I've never spent much energy on trying to teach them much of anything or much time researching how to do so. We mostly live and let live and enjoy each other.

• Helene610
    Cats can definitely learn if a person puts the effort in. We never had a cat that shredded toilet paper or paper towels. It probably wasn’t their thing. We had 2 cats that liked to claw upholstery. We would yell no if we saw them do it. They look at us and stop. Of course the behavior would repeat another day. I like to watch dog training shows. One thing Brandon uses for dogs that changes behavior is shaking a jar full of coins when the dog tried to get something off the counter. He used hidden cameras to catch the dog behavior in progress. He had dogs that chewed shoes so he attached the shoe to the dog collar and the shoe went with the dog. It wasn’t so fun to carry the shoe so the dog lost interest in chewing shoes. Maybe she could cut down a roll of paper towels to mini size and tie it to the cat collar. She has nothing to lose. The noisy coins would work because it startles the cat. Compressed air sounds good. She should watch a few episodes of My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet. Her cat is probably looking for attention. Some feather on a stick play would probably go a long way. Besides giving attention, play bleeds off excess energy and tires the cat out. Getting into mischief is less interesting when tired.