2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    I told my colleague who handles this client that last week I was the most overpaid secretary in North America. By a lot.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    It does sound like the logistics of teaching during a pandemic will be challenging. It’s too bad they can’t refigure class schedules so students stay put and teachers change classrooms. Then they’d only have to sanitize the teacher’s area instead of each student. And high school students are old enough to be able to sanitize their own desks and chairs if given packs of wipes. I guess the powers that be will figure out pretty quickly if in school learning is actually going to work or not.
  • mdubbs1
    vlbs8q22nuku.png
  • mdubbs1
    801a2esc2bmf.png
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, thanks for the laughs with the cat memes. The one with opinions looks a lot my Cagney.
  • mdubbs1
    61mth26lbead.png
  • mdubbs1
    I found this photo of Tuffy "helping" me work at home which I included on the front page of the CROM newsletter that just went out:

i94d7vm71fcb.png
  • Helene610
    Looks like he’s proof reading. Where’s his red pencil?
  • mdubbs1
    I wish he could type!
  • mdubbs1
    w2q43t2ib62g.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    It is easy on the elementary level to keep students in the same room and have the same teacher or have teachers rotate according to subject matter as elementary is essentially the basics. When you get to high school, the students are taking so many different subjects that they cannot do that because of the specialized classes.

Over the years, TPTB have robbed Social Security to pay for things and never paid it back. Now the Emperor wants to permanently get rid of the tax that helps fund Social Security. Apparently, someone is unaware that people pay into that for part of their retirement. We had a nut in the State Legislature who wanted to change the State Retirement so that an individual's retirement would be the State Retirement minus whatever they drew in Social Security.

I am sorting but not really making headway. Yes, I have bags and boxes ready to go but the months of not doing anything because of hospitalization, work, and then the rotator cuff surgery has led to a mess. I am worn out from just two hours of work.
  • Helene610
    It takes time to rebuild that stamina. Just keep chipping away at what you’re doing. In a month, I’ll bet you’ll see a gain in stamina. That’s terrible about the state trying to steal some of your retirement income. I have a situation like that thanks to President Reagan. It’s called the windfall offset. Basically, I lose about half of the SS benefits that I earned with my contributions. It’s because I get a municipal pension that I also contributed to. It’s not fair, but in my case, it is what it is.
  • mdubbs1
    The cheeto is starting his sneaky attack on social security and medicare before the election. I guess he thinks people will focus on the small paycheck increase and ignore the bigger implications??
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    The people can't get their $400 until the state contributes $100 of it per person. People who are excited about a bigger paycheck are overlook the reality that the total comes due later in the year. Just like a loan that permits skipping a month or two, the reality is that the total is still due with an extended loan period. How many people tripped up over appliance offers of zero percent interest if paid in full by the end of the the #of promised free interest. Forgetfulness can result in the zero percent suddenly becoming a huge interest bill.
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2020
    Except the cheeto wants to make it permanent as part of his plan to cut back on social security and medicare. I'm just surprised he's tipping his hand before the election.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/opinions/trump-war-social-security-medicare-begala/index.html
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I asked my DH last night (a devoted Republican) how he feels about voting for tRump if he continues trying to eliminate Social Security and Medicare. His answer: “I haven’t heard or read anything about him wanting to do that. Why would he? What would he gain by doing that. It doesn’t make sense and I don’t believe he wants to do that.” I challenged him to do some research on the subject, so we will see what he finds out and if it makes any difference to him.
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2020
    I don't think he cares about eliminating what he has taken to calling entitlements per se. I do think he cares about improving business' bottom line and Republicans are belatedly re-committing to deficit concerns (after that huge corporate and rich person tax break). (That's what he expects to get out of it.) What they don't care one whit about is the human beings who would be affected.
  • Helene610
    Not to mention state budgets are already strained by the response to Covid. What with testing, ppe supplies, and feeding children who normally get nutrition in school. Where does he think they can get $100 per person? He knows they can’t but it’s an opportunity for him to shift the blame to the states for why it was a flop. Classic Trump.
  • mdubbs1
    gcwdbkb7qah2.png
  • mdubbs1
    Today is our 47th wedding anniversary. I will be making our anniversary dinner at home - Philips crab cakes and Beecher's "world's best macaroni and cheese" (it really is the best I've ever had; better even than my mom's).