2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Did you know ingurgitate was a word? (spell check doesn't LOL!)

It means exactly what you'd think it means - the opposite of regurgitate.

Guzzle or swallow greedily.

Most of the words on this daily calendar I know but there are a few new ones!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--I had a friend who went to the Humane Society to have their dog cremated. They did provide a nice looking box for the remains but I preferred to use the same one I used in 2003. At that time, they operated out of the funeral home, and you selected the urn from a catalog. They have since built a very nice separate facility for pet cremations, complete with a variety of urns already available, or you can order really special ones from a catalog. I would say they are the "go to" for pet cremations since they now have a very nice facility specializing in it.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    DH took Midnight to the vet when it was her time. She had a number of health conditions for several years. I remember the vet thanking us for continuing to treat her during those years. My first thought was who wouldn’t do all they could could for family member. Later, I realized some families couldn’t afford such a course of vet treatments. We never figured out how much we spent at the vet. We didn’t need to know. We spent whatever she needed as long as she had a quality of life. At the end, she stopped eating and was miserable. The vet said she might have a week left but it would be a rough week for her. DH made the decision to do what was right for her.
  • mdubbs1
    Yeah, I don't know really want to know what my cat bills have been over the years. Of course Gordy's kidney transplant was the peak. Willie's cyberknife adventure in Yonkers (and all the rest of her cancer treatment) was up there. We've had 28 cats so I've had all kinds of vet adventures.

Now I've got pet insurance on all our guys. It was a huge help when Jessicat had cancer. But it's no help on Jack because everything he has is a pre-existing condition.

I never had any intention of starting on urns. When I brought Beethoven's ashes home I assumed we'd scatter them but DH immediately assumed urn so off I went to accomplish that.

DH would have to use google for directions if he ever needed to go to my vet. LOL!
  • Helene610
    Let me share some fun Midnight stories with you. She always wanted to be close to DH. When we were building our house, he was working up in the attic. It was an open platform at that stage. He came down, heard crying and saw her up in the attic. He asked me how she got up there and I had no idea. The mystery was solved a day later. He used a ladder to get up there. I’m talking regular ladder, not a step ladder. We saw Midnight jump up and snag a rung with her claws. She brought her rear paws onto the rung below that. She did that process all the way up until she could jump into the attic. She obviously had watched DH climb the ladder and figured out how to do it. She was definitely the smartest of our girls.

She would spend the day, weather permitting, on the back porch. At 3:30, she’d walk down the driveway and wait for MIL to be dropped off from work. She’d walk her back up the driveway and go inside until it was DH’s time to come home. He had an irregular schedule but he had a noisy diesel car. She’d hear him coming down the street, cry to go out and meet him at the end of the driveway. He’d stop the car and she’d hop on the hood and ride up the driveway with her. He’d open the window so she could walk along the window sill and then jump into his lap. She didn’t like riding inside the car though. If he put the car in reverse, she’d cry to get out. If he took a walk down the street, she’d walk along behind him. She had no idea she was a cat. I think she thought she was a person in a fur coat.
  • mdubbs1
    There are occasionally deer at all three of the colonies where I feed. I admire them from a distance and try to shoo them away from the cat food until the cats have had their fill. Just recently there have been two adorable babies.

I was feeding today at the "old man's backyard" (as we so eloquently refer to it), turned around and wasn't 10 feet from a deer! I don't know which of us was more startled (but he/she was the only one who ran LOL!)!
  • mdubbs1
    I just realized that this October will be the 28th anniversary of Beethoven's death.

I am a numbers person, not a word person. I don't wax poetic. But every time I think about that day, I remember sitting in the back yard crying my eyes out (I didn't want to disturb the other cats). What I remember most about sitting there is the light in early October. I swear I could be in a coma, wake up and I might not be able to tell you where I was or what year it was but I could tell you if it was early October by the quality of the light.

That experience changed the course of the next 30 years of my life.
  • Helene610
    You may not be a word person, but your words touched my heart. It’s interesting how a single decision can set you on a new path for life. And your decision was a great one.
  • mdubbs1
    7iifjrmwehjj.png
  • mdubbs1
    Packet day today. I need to tighten up so I'm determined to start by having a no slip ups packet day today!
  • mdubbs1
    ewv6v31stbu2.png
  • Helene610
    I’m doing better on my steps. I walked 4000 steps a day last week. Two days I pushed myself further for 5000+ steps. My leg had been achy from not walking enough. That’s the problem I had before PT. Lately, after sitting too long, I’d have to force myself to take those first few steps because it hurt. With more regular walking, I’m not having that pain. So I ‘m reminding myself of that and getting up off the couch every hour.
    Jean, are you still doing PT?
  • mdubbs1
    Helene -good job on the steps!

I remember one day when I was still working at the office getting up after sitting awhile and limping like I always do. Our accounting person happened to notice and was quite concerned. I told her it's normal for me. LOL!
  • Helene610
    That limping is exactly what I’m talking about. In the last few days, I noticed walking every hour minimizes or eliminates the limping. My Fitbit reminds me to walk 250 steps every hour for 11 hours each day. I’m walking around my deck and can do 250 steps in the time a series of commercials run. I encouraged DH to start walking around the deck too. As part of his cardio therapy, he’s supposed to walk regularly but has slacked off on it. He’s willing to try it. Walking on the deck, we don’t come in contact with other people so we don’t have to wear a mask while doing it.
  • mdubbs1
    xy7wgt6sbo9m.png
  • mdubbs1
    nodgaa7lkp2q.png
  • mdubbs1
    Word of the day. Coruscate - to be showy in technique or style; sparkle.
  • KonaKat
    Midnight is home. It isn't the same but he is with me. They also included a packet of info on dealing with grief when a pet dies.

0yjnq6c5jzsg.png
  • KonaKat
    I had a cardiology appointment yesterday. All is well except the weight gain. BP 116/68; Pulse rate 67; Oxygen saturation 99%. EKG ok!
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - I'm glad Midnight is home. No, it's not remotely the same.

I'm glad your cardiology visit went well!