2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    o5yijli83yjm.png
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I looked it up. The World Meteorological Organization creates the list every year before hurricane season begins. Names can be used again, but no more often than every 6 years. As noted above, some names are permanently retired if the storm was particularly bad. Since it is an international organization, some of the names may not be as familiar to us as they are in other parts of the world.

Interesting. I wonder when they're going to use COVID?
  • mdubbs1
    cdaasqqy0r1y.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited August 2020
    I just read that, according to the WSJ and NYT, in a 3 month period, Melania took 21 trips to New York to get her hair done, at a cost of $675,000. I know most of that cost had to be for security, but who the hell needs to get their hair done 21 times in 3 months???
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    It would have been cheaper for her to fly the hairdresser to DC and give her a suite at Trump Towers for long term. I was watching Peter Navarro being interviewed on one of the morning news shows. He actually said Trump knows what it’s like to be working class. I don’t know how Jeff Glore didn’t burst out laughing. He also asked about Trump’s statement about kids being immune. Navarro didn’t know how to explain that. Glore asked aren’t you on the Covid task force? Navarro said his job is supply chain of PPE and testing supplies.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I had a mammogram done today and I also graduated from PT. I also did 3 hours of work in the house. I must be sick!
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I just read that, according to the WSJ and NYT, in a 3 month period, Melania took 21 trips to New York to get her hair done, at a cost of $675,000. I know most of that cost had to be for security, but who the hell needs to get their hair done 21 times in 3 months???

I have no words.....
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I had a mammogram done today and I also graduated from PT. I also did 3 hours of work in the house. I must be sick!

Congrats on your graduation!

How safe did the mammogram feel?
  • mdubbs1
    Today's word on the 365 day word calendar:

hebdomadal = weekly
  • Helene610
    Either sick or bored. Congrats on finishing up PT.
  • mdubbs1
    Neither of the stores I ordered from this week had my diet root beer. Oh, no! I may have to resort to ordering from amazon and hoping they can ship bottles safely.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, your comment about root beer reminded me of a funny story. Many years ago I worked as a legal secretary for a large corporate law firm. The partner I worked for walked up to my desk one day and set a cup on the ledge around my desk area, which promptly tipped over and went all over me, my calculator, and various files I was working on. I wouldn’t have minded nearly so much except that this was the one time in 6+ years that I ever knew him to drink anything but water. It was a full cup of root beer, which I have always disliked intensely, both the smell and the taste. Of course, he apologized profusely, but I had to go for the rest of the day smelling that awful smell. My calculator and the files were toast, as well. I think I may have burned whatever I was wearing, too, lol!
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2020
    Pam - I'm so sorry! I'll try not to laugh.

Last week I was in deep mourning for the days when we had legal secretaries. We have one admin person for the entire firm and she's not really a secretary. We had a rush job to do and we were starting with a pdf scan of a faint printout of an older document. The pdf to word conversion worked. Sort of. Left hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of typos almost none of which spell check found. I guess the program knows to come up with actual words even if they're the wrong words. And a lot of things like "B" turning into "13"s. Took me untold hours to go through that thing twice. I'm sure there are typos I didn't find. Hopefully they aren't words that are too important. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    vy06u92jbtmg.png
  • mdubbs1
    That's a pence quote in that cartoon. We need him to be gone as well as the cheeto.
  • Helene610
    When we’re in FL, we like to go to a burger chain called Culver’s. They’re out of Wisconsin and everything is made fresh when you order it. They have an absolutely delicious sugar free root beer. You used to be able to fill your own cup at the soft drink station. With Covid, nothing is self serve anymore. I wish they’d bottle that root beer. It’s the best I’ve ever tasted.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, I really enjoyed working in the law firm. The partner I worked for handled securities law, so we did a lot of public offerings, mergers, and acquisitions. I spent many hours proofreading and redlining legal documents. I always looked forward to the final push when we were doing a public offering because we would usually be at the financial printer’s place of business and we were treated very well there. We might be at the printer’s offices for 12 to 18 hours before it was completed, boxed up and then someone would make a mad dash to the airport to fly to DC to file the documents with the SEC. I never got to make the DC run, though a couple of times I was asked if I was willing. Usually one of the paralegals ended up going. I considered law school when I left the law firm, but in the end chose psychology instead.
  • Helene610
    Jean, if in person school opens this year, will you go back? I imagine it would be a hard decision.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I have no idea what I will do with school, but leaning toward it right now. We have had a total of 6 cases since March. As a sub, it would be a challenge to meet the responsibilities. For example, sanitizing the desks during class change. Picture doing 25 desks in 3 minutes while the angels are out in the hall waiting to come in. Then there are those who like to break pencils to delay getting to work. They can't borrow items from other students, so these students will be getting a new pencil each period. Then there are the classes that only have classroom copies of text books. How are they going to be sanitized for the next group of students to use them? Personally, if I were the teacher, I would prepare the essential info and show it on the white board and have the students copy it down.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - those sound like some real challenges!