2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    u7y8i3dmh6cx.png
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    That’s a beautiful urn. Even though different, I’m sure there is comfort in having him at home with you. Those were great numbers from the cardiology appointment.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Jean, the urn you chose for Midnight is lovely. It’s not the same, but I hope it provides you some comfort.

Good job on those numbers from the cardiology appointment! Despite a small weight gain, you’ve maintained your health under very challenging conditions over the past few months.

I’m exhausted by watching the on-going debate about how to safely reopen schools this fall. I would hate to be a teacher having to figure out how to educate both in the classroom and on-line, as seems to be a likely scenario. I think most of the larger districts around here are delaying reopening and/or offering on-line for anyone who wants it.
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2020
    Our (Republican, believe it or not) governor had gotten some grudging respect from me for his handling of the pandemic but he's losing it. First he decided we weren't going to send out ballots to everyone for November (even though we did it in June and all we'd have to do now is fix the few kinks). Now he's told the counties they can't order all the schools in their borders not to reopen.

I don't know the complete answer to the school question. I have my thoughts on some of it but I don't have a complete answer. And of course no one is asking for my answer anyway.. LOL!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I had received a month's supply of cat food from Amazon shortly before I took Midnight to the vet. It was unopened. I contacted Amazon and was told not to return the food but they would issue a credit on a future purchase. I just checked Amazon and it has been done. I will donate the food.
  • mdubbs1
    I just had someone email me about donating some food (he said "a pallet" but open further questioning and joking clarified that it was 1/2 a case). I told him that normally we'd have him drop it at our vet but I can't imagine they want to be bothered with that right now and sent him off to a shelter.
  • Helene610
    That was very compassionate of Amazon to give you the credit considering your circumstances. I’m sure a shelter or even a food pantry would appreciate a donation. Some of the food banks give out pet food for those who cannot afford to feed their pets.
  • Helene610
    Jean and Maryanne, were you affected by Isaias? We got lucky that the storm went up the Hudson River Valley. We got a few wind gust of 40 mph and none of the rain. I hope you had no damage and didn’t lose power. From the numbers I saw on the news, some homes will be without power for days. One of my markets has a meat sale a few times a year. They have about 10 choices and as long as you buy 5 packages, each is $5. I probably save $15-$20 on that sale. I held off buying in case we lost power. The last thing I’d want is a defrosting freezer full of meat. The sale is good until Thursday so I’ll shop today.
  • mdubbs1
    We had what amounted to a heavy thunderstorm. No loss of power; no water in the basement.

I wonder where they got that name. I've never heard it.
  • mdubbs1
    I fed my colonies quickly today because I have a food delivery scheduled between 11 and 1. Shouldn't be a problem but they've shown up 30 minutes to an hour early on occasion and I overslept a little today (I haven't set an alarm clock in years).

• mdubbs1
    pyfwtwymo84f.png
  • mdubbs1
    I had to wear a mask at a colony for the first time today. Two men (sans masks) were working on a car right at the colony (there's a junk car place right next to the colony but seldom human beings).
  • Helene610
    I hope voters remember his “it is what it is” statement come election time. The families of the 156,000 victims see it differently. How many of those deaths were preventable if he’d responded quicker and more forcefully. Added to that, his disrespectful comments about John Lewis and his claims that Trump’s done more for Black Americans than any other president.

Glad you came trough the storm okay. We are seeing fewer people not wearing masks but enough of them are out there to be dangerous.
  • mdubbs1
    g4y85r0mzmi6.png
  • Helene610
    I looked up Isiah. It’s from Latin and Hebrew and comes from the name Isaiah. It means salvation of God. That’s a strange name to give a destructive storm. Wonder whose job it is to pick storm names.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I looked up Isiah. It’s from Latin and Hebrew and comes from the name Isaiah. It means salvation of God. That’s a strange name to give a destructive storm. Wonder whose job it is to pick storm names.

I wonder why they didn't just use Isiah, a name many people know. And you're right; strange naming but the world is strange these days!
  • mdubbs1
    "This is Fig! He has a prosthetic leg, and likes to take it off and throw it at his sister."

tpnnjemzwdq3.png
  • PamS53
    They had probably already used Isaiah in a previous year. I know that they can reuse names, and only permanently retire a name if it did a lot of damage, e.g., Katrina. I don’t know how long they wait before reusing a name, but I think it is quite awhile. I believe the names are predetermined before the start of every hurricane season.
  • Helene610
    I think you’re correct about having all the names picked in advance. Perhaps they had already used Isaiah before. But there are plenty of other I names they could have picked. Many of the news anchors seemed to stumble over how to pronounce it.
  • PamS53
    I looked it up. The World Meteorological Organization creates the list every year before hurricane season begins. Names can be used again, but no more often than every 6 years. As noted above, some names are permanently retired if the storm was particularly bad. Since it is an international organization, some of the names may not be as familiar to us as they are in other parts of the world.