2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I've rarely carried much cash for a long time. Cards are so much more convenient. I imagine when paper money was created as well as coins, it created a stir also.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I saw an amusing Hamilton parody for Dr Fauci done by a member of the Pentotomics. Just Google Dr Fauci Hamilton and you’ll pull it up. It very clever.

I'm still laughing! Although that line at the beginning about how ever scary movie starts with a scientist no one listens to is a little too true!
  • mdubbs1
    I took a few minutes break yesterday, organized a bunch of my packets and marked the boxes. Amazing how good a little organization makes me feel. Now I should go to the basement and organize the rest of them.

Yesterday's word for the day (calendar) - sansculotte (which spell check thinks I'm spelling wrong). Pronounced just the way you'd expect but does NOT mean "no culotte'. LOL!

Means a radical or violent extremist in politics. When they printed this calendar they had no idea how extremely appropriate that would be.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Appropriate even to the month in which they ran it. Maybe they have a psychic on staff.
  • mdubbs1
    bs8tvfeb17lw.png
  • Helene610
    We did a trial run for lunch out today. DH and I are meeting a friend for lunch Saturday. We decided to go to a local restaurant that’s added outdoor seating. We went at 2:30 so we knew it wouldn’t be crowded. They had set up 10 tables on a grassy area beyond the parking lot. We were the only customers but the tables were nicely spaced out so social distance isn’t a problem. I feel more comfortable going there Saturday after seeing how they’ve adapted to the new normal.
  • KonaKat
    The US has now surpassed 4 million Covid-19 cases, and experts are pleading for another nationwide shutdown to keep things from getting worse. More than 150 prominent US medical experts, scientists, teachers, nurses and others have signed a letter urging politicians to take the unpalatable, but potentially necessary step. As it stands, statisticians from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say Covid-19 may end up being a top 10 leading cause of death in the nation for 2020. Despite the dire warnings, new CDC guidelines for opening schools push hard for an in-person return. If you’re still looking for an ideal mask when you need to be in public, a new study suggests masks are more effective if they have two or three layers of protection.---Good Morning From CNN email, July 24, 2020.
  • mdubbs1
    I read an op ed piece in the Post by someone saying he was wearing a mask to make his neighbors feel better but only for that reason. Geesh, people.... Has no one seen the scenes in our hospitals? Forget arguing about the likelihood of dying from COVID. Are none of you worried that when your child breaks his/her arm too badly for urgent care to deal with that the hospital will be unavailable? That when your husband has a heart attack the hospital will be unavailable?

Of course I also puzzle about why the media is so focused on ICU beds and ventilators. I'm concerned our doctors and nurses will be taken out of commission by fatigue and PTSD long before we run out of hospital beds but that gets so little coverage.

Mitt Romney says the cheeto is going to win re-election. I am so afraid of that. If he does we are all doomed (unless his ignorance gets him infected).

I'm also so extremely peeved at our governor's unwillingness to call for a mail in election in November. Although he's a Republican he was getting some points from me for his handling of the pandemic. But I find this voting decision completely unacceptable. Maryland should be on the leading edge of vote by mail.

I'm also concerned about how many animals are going to be abandoned if millions and millions of evictions go through.

"Twenty-two percent of households say that they don’t expect to be able to make their next monthly rent or mortgage payment, according to a Census Bureau survey."

I'm facing an extremely stressful August with respect to my work on top of all this. My cardiologist wants me to avoid stress. Ha!!!!

On the amusing side, the cheeto's son's school apparently is not re-opening. Well, it would be amusing if not for the fact that he's still pressuring schools to re-open.
  • mdubbs1
    As I sit here at my work computer I look out at the street in front of our house. The millenials across the street and one house down have visitors who have added yet another car to their collection of cars parked illegally although this one's breaking TWO laws. I so want to print out the laws and leave on their windshield but I shall be good and not do that. I'm surprised the guy next to us hasn't had a word with them since they are making it very difficult for him and his wife to get in and out of their driveway.
  • mdubbs1
    edited July 2020
    Knock on wood, although I still am having cravings, I seem to be back on track with the diet. A little short on treadmill time. I've spent at least 2 1/2 hours on amazon support "chat" this week trying to get my tablet working again. It's working as we speak but then that's been true several times before this week. Those support people drive me NUTS!
  • KonaKat
    I know they say there will not be another shutdown despite the calls for it based upon the contagion rate and increasing numbers. I decided to play it safe and ordered another one of those NS dinners and snacks for two people for two weeks. Since there is only me, that will be a month's supply of shelf stable food. Now, are you ready? The expected delivery is August 11.

I considered ordering directly from NS but this deal is cheaper than NS's al carte, and definitely cheaper than its full week ends off program for one. I can easily use instant oatmeal for breakfast. I have two big boxes of the Great Value instant oatmeal on hand right now that I got in the last order.

I'm always a little cautious about making sure of having food on hand since we have only one supermarket locally with the rest 30 to 60 miles away. The shelves locally got a little scarce on some foods.
  • Helene610
    Trump said that Baron would be going and his grandchildren would be going back to school and he felt it was safe. He never mentioned that Baron’s school was closed. Another lie by omission. I saw on the news that he’s canceled the Jacksonville convention. I’m not surprised it’s a hot spot. We stayed there overnight on our drive home and almost no one was wearing a mask. Even if they started wearing masks now, that many weeks of dangerous behavior and denial.

I’m sorry that you’re so stressed. It doesn’t help your physical or mental health so I hope you can find ways to destress. .Exercise can help so keep using your treadmill. I find being out in nature helps too. I love looking at a blooming garden or a water view. I can feel myself breathing slower and deeper when I see the beauty of nature. I try to concentrate on what I can do to stay safe and I keep my distance from those who refuse to wear masks. I try not to bring home the aggravation of behaviors I cannot change. Perhaps some will realize the error of their ways when someone they knows gets sick and will start being more responsible. One can hope anyway.
  • mdubbs1
    Dr. Fauci threw out the first pitch of the season. Really, really badly.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/us/fauci-first-pitch-nationals-yankees-trnd/index.html
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, you raise an extremely important point about hospitals becoming so overwhelmed with COVID patients that they are unable to provide appropriate care for other patients with emergent needs. That is already happening. I don’t recall if I shared this story or not, so if I did, please excuse the duplication. MY SIL does utilization review for a hospital chain, which entails reviewing the medical records of patients in the hospital to coordinate with their insurance provider to make sure their stay is covered. She told me about a case she reviewed recently of a young man who had suffered a fall and hit his head. Upon arrival at the ER a CAT scan showed a small bleed in his brain, so he was kept for observation with a plan to repeat the scan in a couple of hours to make sure the bleeding had stopped. The ER was so busy with COVID cases that the follow up scan was not done for 12 hours, by which time the bleed had become huge and the patient was non-responsive, basically brain-dead. A tragic story, and should have been preventable if the staff hadn’t been so overwhelmed.

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    y4h04q6y7i0t.jpeg
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, you raise an extremely important point about hospitals becoming so overwhelmed with COVID patients that they are unable to provide appropriate care for other patients with emergent needs. That is already happening. I don’t recall if I shared this story or not, so if I did, please excuse the duplication. MY SIL does utilization review for a hospital chain, which entails reviewing the medical records of patients in the hospital to coordinate with their insurance provider to make sure their stay is covered. She told me about a case she reviewed recently of a young man who had suffered a fall and hit his head. Upon arrival at the ER a CAT scan showed a small bleed in his brain, so he was kept for observation with a plan to repeat the scan in a couple of hours to make sure the bleeding had stopped. The ER was so busy with COVID cases that the follow up scan was not done for 12 hours, by which time the bleed had become huge and the patient was non-responsive, basically brain-dead. A tragic story, and should have been preventable if the staff hadn’t been so overwhelmed.

How sad! It's bad and really bad in some places.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    y4h04q6y7i0t.jpeg

Yeah, why the heck can't it be like that?
  • mdubbs1
    Not that funny, per se, what but a cute picture!

yg9t9ayucj9h.png

• Helene610
    What a tragic story about that young man. Cases like that will probably happen more often as things get worse. I wonder if my friend Ray, our choir director, was able to get his hip replacement surgery in FL. He was delayed last spring during the shut down When they canceled all elective surgeries. The surgery was rescheduled for summer but consider the hospital situation in FL, he may have been delayed again. Maybe he was lucky enough to get it done before things closed down again.