2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited July 2020
    I am still watching My 600-lb Life on the treadmill. I also read people's comments on a forum. They have two for most episodes - one while the show is going on that is closed at the end of the show - and a second. https://forums.primetimer.com/

Some of the posters are a hoot! Love this line after a scene of two extremely heavy women getting in their car to go somewhere ---

There needs to be an indicator light on hatchbacks that says "Aw HELL No!"

I have no reason why that touched my funny bone but I'm actually chuckling.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    I’m sure mask wearing could be mandated just as not smoking in public places have been if government officials would grow a spine. The governor of MA is doing an excellent job and is requiring people to wear masks. And many businesses are refusing service to non mask wearers. MA is trending down in cases because people are doing the right thing.

I saw a news report on Charleston SC being a hot spot. Masks are not required and an influx of tourists crowding into the city. One family came from AZ and was walking around with no masks. So selfish!

Jean, that’s wonderful that you’re making such good progress. And I know what you mean about how nice it is to just drive around to see different scenery. Yesterday, we parked down at the beach, stayed in the car and listened to an audio book. Seeing the water and breathing the salt air was a real mood lifter. What you said about wearing a mask during therapy is so true. If you can do, most of the mask refuseniks could do it too. They have that me first mentality that disregards anyone else’s health. I know there are some people who can’t wear a mask for health reasons but that’s not the situation most of people.
  • mdubbs1
    This could be our Tuffy (which reminds me - I haven't given him a new straw for awhile). LOL!

5zxtuer0xe2n.png
  • mdubbs1
    bwmwtjmrkcci.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, I think if an establishment can post a sign saying “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service”, I see no difference in “No Mask, No Service”. People have completely lost their minds about the mask vs personal freedom argument.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, I think if an establishment can post a sign saying “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service”, I see no difference in “No Mask, No Service”. People have completely lost their minds about the mask vs personal freedom argument.

Ooh, another good point! I've got to start collecting these.
  • mdubbs1
    The cheeto apparently has access to an endless supply of mindless idiots:

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany on school reopenings:

"The science should not stand in the way of this.”
  • mdubbs1
    8zpwbpc2h3ae.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited July 2020
    From Kentucky via CNN email.

I know there's an argument going on here in the state over whether the governor can or cannot make you wear a mask. I'm not in that fight. But I'm here to tell you, put it on.

Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, telling the state of Kentucky that, regardless of whether or not the state's Governor Andy Beshear has the authority to mandate mask wearing, people should wear them because it's, in his words, the "best way all of us can be responsible to ourselves and sensitive to the health of others."
  • mdubbs1
    vnbjja7o7m5o.png
  • mdubbs1
    Okay, this pessimism made me chuckle:

Board members discussed potential polling sites, at one point floating the idea of tents in large parking lots. Jones said that idea had been explored, but was dismissed due to cost. Deputy City Elections Director Abigail Goldman said the sites would also be difficult to secure overnight.

Board member Philip a’Becket asked about the potential for sites like M&T Bank Stadium and Oriole Park at Camden Yards, noting that they are owned by the state, have big parking areas and are likely to be empty.

“They might have a season,” a’Becket said of the Baltimore Orioles, “but even if they do, they’re not making it to the World Series.”
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    For sure, that’s a funny comment on the Orioles prospects.
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    From Kentucky via CNN email.

I know there's an argument going on here in the state over whether the governor can or cannot make you wear a mask. I'm not in that fight. But I'm here to tell you, put it on.

Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, telling the state of Kentucky that, regardless of whether or not the state's Governor Andy Beshear has the authority to mandate mask wearing, people should wear them because it's, in his words, the "best way all of us can be responsible to ourselves and sensitive to the health of others."

Now it he'd just start to show a little more sense overall.......
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I heard on the news some speculation that T is pushing kids back into school before it may be safe to appeal to the white suburbanites who support him. Another theory floating around.

Our state had its 100th death today from Covid. I was watching the Gov speak on a live feed via FB where comments are permitted. When the Gov gave the age--less than mine--some jerk posted "didn't die of Covid; died of old age." We hear that often in our state.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, I thought you’d like this.

b6cbhd7aerbf.jpeg
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - cool! Someone collected all that logic in one place!!!
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I heard on the news some speculation that T is pushing kids back into school before it may be safe to appeal to the white suburbanites who support him. Another theory floating around.

He must assume they're all idiots! I think he just wants people back at work. My guess is he still thinks some miracle will bring the economy back before the election.
  • mdubbs1
    edited July 2020
    I'm trying to figure out why what's going on in Portland isn't making bigger news. I thought the military got embarrassed enough after the DC debacle to start resisting orders to be the gestapo but I guess not. What's really scary to me is someone somewhere is deciding how to dress these men (generically) and how to deploy them and they aren't concerned about anyone's rights. What else could they be ordered to do?

From the Washington Post op ed page:

Something terrible, something dangerous — and, yes, something unconstitutional — is happening in Portland, Ore. It must be stopped.

“Federal law enforcement officers have been using unmarked vehicles to drive around downtown Portland and detain protesters since at least July 14,” reports Oregon Public Broadcasting. “Personal accounts and multiple videos posted online show the officers driving up to people, detaining individuals with no explanation of why they are being arrested, and driving off.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/17/whats-happening-portland-shows-trump-is-ignoring-constitution-attacking-america/
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, I’ve been watching that situation in Portland as well. From what little I’ve been able to read on the subject, it may be Customs and Border Patrol agents who have been deputized to form this secret task force. I’m seeing nothing on any of the national news sources about it, but lots on Twitter.
  • PamS53
    It looks like Portland may just be a trial run, with plans to take similar teams and tactics nationwide: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/dhs-under-boss-were-taking-this-national

If that doesn’t convince people to vote that fool out of office in November, then we are doomed as a democratic nation.