2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Jean -

From a Wash Post article:

Many schools had a hard time getting qualified people to become substitute teachers before the pandemic. It doesn’t pay particularly well, has little to no job security, and requires at least some college credit (in many states). Now districts have to find workers who are willing to do the job in a school full of potential virus transmitters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/07/03/12-inconvenient-truths-about-schools-kids-that-should-be-considered-before-reopening-by-teacher/
  • mdubbs1
    From the word a day calendar:

Did you know "ruly" is a word? Just what you'd expect - the opposite of unruly.
  • mdubbs1
    The closest grocery store to our house is a Giant. My #1 online delivery source and the store I went to most often? Both Giant, but NOT the one near our house. I don't know why. They completely remodeled it a few years ago so it's not a horrible store. Anyway, it's the only 24-hour store anywhere near us. I went over this morning at 4 am. Weird experience. Overall, probably stocked at say 50-75% of pre-pandemic, depending on the category. But clorox/lysol type aisle is very empty. I couldn't get into the tp/scot towel aisle as it was blocked by people stocking. I bought some things but nothing that really surprised me. I just wanted to check it out. Since I was there at that hour some weeks ago they've added plexiglass partitions between the self checkout machines. I honestly think I was the only shopper in the store which sort of makes you wonder WHY it's open 24 hours.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited July 2020
    Maryanne--Our state requires a minimum of a 4-year college degree for substitute teachers, and if the degree is not a teaching degree, then they have to take in-service classes. The state also has a set salary schedule for subs based upon degree and experience.

It doesn't pay like a regular teacher but it is acceptable for not having to prepare lesson plans, grade work, etc. A substitute teacher that is called upon to fill a regular position for the remainder of the year gets paid the regular teacher's salary after two weeks in the position.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    It’s probably open 24 hours so workers can restock shelves without lots of shoppers in the aisles. Our Stop & Shop chain has the same parent company as Giant. I used to shop there a lot before I went to FL. I’ve heard it’s always out of a lot of things right now. And it’s more crowded than I like. So I’m finding other places to shop. We have so many options from small produce stands to at least four other chains within 10 miles of home.
  • mdubbs1
    I think our mailman got tired yesterday. They're showing 3 packages delivered at 7:36 pm. I expect they'll show up today. Not the first time.
  • mdubbs1
    "Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) got schooled on Twitter after he argued against mandated face masks and compulsory vaccinations aimed at mitigating the spread of the coronavirus:"

Argued the found fathers would be appalled. Turns out George Washington vaccinated the continental army against smallpox. "Schooled!!!"

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/thomas-massie-coronavirus-masks-fact-check_n_5f0423b8c5b6e97b56897f47
  • mdubbs1
    Also hilarious - Trump campaign ad promises to protect statue. In Brazil.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-christ-the-redeemer_n_5f03fffec5b6db5967461628
  • mdubbs1
    kz0ixeovpieu.png
  • KonaKat
    I put 256 miles on the car yesterday just to get out and drive as I haven't been able to do anything first because of the shutdown and then the surgery. It has been a long 4 months and I wanted to get out before something transpired and I would be looking at 4 walls again.

I went and bought Roundup Extreme this morning and spent 45 minutes putting it on. I'm half done but I'm too tired to do anything more today. I am really out of shape from sitting and looking at the walls and the TV.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - I've done a little discretionary driving myself during this. Partly to see a slightly different part of the world and partly to make sure the van gets some exercise.

I don't envy you the yard work!!!
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I’ve done very little discretionary driving, if any, during this time. I think the last time we filled my car up with gas was more than 4 months ago, and I still have at least a quarter of a tank. DH does most of the errands and shopping in one of his vehicles, so mine mostly stays in the garage. I was just talking with my SIL and we both agreed that we are getting very stir-crazy at this point.
  • Helene610
    I got my first mani/pedi since I got home. I called for an appointment and they asked if I could come right over. Another woman was finishing up a mani so I had the place to myself most of the time. They had installed plexiglass panels to separate customers and staff and we all had masks. I was nearing the end of the mani when a woman came in. She wasn’t wearing a mask and they didn’t ask her to. It was obviously a regular. We were socially distant so I didn’t say anything to her. I think business has been slow and they probably appreciate any business. Joy probably felt safe because she was masked and behind the plexiglass. I’m probably set for a month now.
  • mdubbs1
    How long does it take gas to go bad? Something in the back of my mind says it does. But I'm SO not a car guru.
  • KonaKat
    Believe it or not, there is information on how long a car should be started and run during the Covid-19 closures, etc.
    https://www.torquenews.com/1083/how-often-and-how-long-run-vehicle-during-covid-19-pandemic-closures-keep-it-charged-and-running
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Believe it or not, there is information on how long a car should be started and run during the Covid-19 closures, etc.
    https://www.torquenews.com/1083/how-often-and-how-long-run-vehicle-during-covid-19-pandemic-closures-keep-it-charged-and-running

Thanks! I've had two periods in my life when my vehicle sat for awhile. The first was when I broke my heel. We learned the hard way after that period that you can't just let a vehicle sit. So when I broke my wrist, DH drove my van at least once or twice every week.
  • Helene610
    Debbie starts my the car we leave on the Cape when we’re in FL. She also drives it around the block so it’s not sitting on the same part of the tires while we’re away. She’s told me the tires can develop a soft spot if the car doesn’t move a bit. She probably starts it every week or two. Gas can go stale if not used. Before we hired someone to cut the grass, we had to run the mower dry in the fall and fill it with fresh gas in the spring. I think stale gas can gunk up the engine.
  • Helene610
    I brave the supermarket yesterday. I hadn’t been to my usual store in a couple of weeks. I went later in the afternoon and didn’t have to wait in line this time. The number of shoppers in the store was lower too. They reopened the deli counter so DH was able to get his ham and cheese thin sliced as he likes it. MA just went into phase 3 so the deli counter may have been part of that. I heard on the news that MA is holding steady on Covid infections. There were only 120 new cases yesterday. The governor’s slow and steady approach is paying off.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I brave the supermarket yesterday. I hadn’t been to my usual store in a couple of weeks. I went later in the afternoon and didn’t have to wait in line this time. The number of shoppers in the store was lower too. They reopened the deli counter so DH was able to get his ham and cheese thin sliced as he likes it. MA just went into phase 3 so the deli counter may have been part of that. I heard on the news that MA is holding steady on Covid infections. There were only 120 new cases yesterday. The governor’s slow and steady approach is paying off.

Slow and steady is going to win the race. As the scientists say, we know what to do. The will to do it is just missing in some states. I listen to the news reports and can't help thinking "my fellow Americans are idiots".

I just keep hoping my sister (in Arizona) doesn't get sick and need the hospital.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Texas is a red state, and our governor is quite fond of tRump. I think he reopened our state much too quickly in his ongoing effort to stay in tRump’s good graces and now we are paying the price. My SIL in the Houston area reports that their hospitals are almost at capacity and that morgue trucks are being ordered as the area morgues and funeral homes are maxed out. Her DIL is a Director of nurses over a neuro ICU but she and 3 other DON’s are temporarily stepping back down to serving as Charge nurses over 4 units to free up more staff for bedside nursing. And yet, people are still refusing to wear masks and stay at home. The stupidity and selfishness is truly astounding.