2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Feeding the colonies this morning gave me another example of how cats learn. If you drove up you wouldn't see a thing. When I drive up, they're right there. They know my vehicle.

I think a lot of their learning has to do with whether learning benefits them. LOL!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Yeah, how many times can a person contradict what they’ve said and ever be right. I dropped our ballot applications off in the town hall box today. They even had a sign on the box saying deposit ballots here. The actual ballots will have to be mailed to us. I’ll let you know how long they take to arrive. Once we have them and fill them out, I’ll put them in the town hall box. That way, I know they got there.

I agree that there has to be a benefit to a cat for it to respond as you like treats, affection and food are good reasons. Back in the days before opi top cat food, the cats would come running when they heard the electric can opener. It wasn’t always for them but they took no chances they might miss a meal.
  • mdubbs1
    My guys still come to the can opened. I've always split a single can of tuna between the household as part of breakfast. Let's me count noses and see if anyone's "off".
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2020
    I just got an email from someone who wants to come in and volunteer with the cats and dogs.

I can understand that not knowing what TNR means could mean you don't automatically understand we don't have a shelter but what part of Cat Rescue of Maryland are you not understanding?

LOL!
  • Helene610
    What does TNR mean? I’m in the group that never heard of that. Are you going to take this person on? In FL, many shelters had people adopt or foster cats and dog during Covid. I’ll bet a lot of fosters end up being adopted. It’s hard not to become attached so I doubt many are given back.
  • mdubbs1
    TNR = trap, neuter, release. We work with the caretakers of feral cat colonies, providing funding, equipment, answers and moral support.

The only volunteers we have are those that help with fund raising and at the moment they are on hiatus.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Actually, I wouldn’t assume that Cat Rescue was not a shelter either. I know of several animal rescue organizations that actually do operate a shelter.

I had a routine doctor’s appointment this morning that went very well. My BP was good, he is pleased with my cholesterol, and everything else we talked about seemed to be ok. I have been waking up several times a night with my hands hurting, which he thinks is due to fluid buildup in my fingers that occurs when I’m not moving them like I do while awake. It’s not harmful, only a bit painful when I start moving them again. Unfortunately, there is no effective treatment for this. I will see him again in 6 months and hopefully not having to wear a mask and drown myself in hand sanitizer as soon as I leave his office.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Actually, I wouldn’t assume that Cat Rescue was not a shelter either. I know of several animal rescue organizations that actually do operate a shelter.

I had a routine doctor’s appointment this morning that went very well. My BP was good, he is pleased with my cholesterol, and everything else we talked about seemed to be ok. I have been waking up several times a night with my hands hurting, which he thinks is due to fluid buildup in my fingers that occurs when I’m not moving them like I do while awake. It’s not harmful, only a bit painful when I start moving them again. Unfortunately, there is no effective treatment for this. I will see him again in 6 months and hopefully not having to wear a mask and drown myself in hand sanitizer as soon as I leave his office.

But I bet you wouldn't assume we sheltered dogs. LOL!

Sorry about your hands! That sounds like an awful thing to wake up to but glad your appointment went well overall.
  • mdubbs1
    "Spanish Flu, 1918. Family Portrait."

5h2yo5ulkm93.png
  • Helene610
    That’s an amazing photo. I love that they masked the cat and that the cat left it on. You’re right that the guy should have known you don’t work with with dogs. I got 2 of our cats from a group called CLAWS. How’s that for an appropriate name? It stood for Cats Lost And Wanting Shelter. The animal control officer ran it out of her home for several years. It eventually became too much and she closed it after adopting out the last of the cats.
  • Helene610
    Pam, would cutting back on salt help with the fluid retention? Maybe some hand exercises before bed would help to minimizing the fluid build up in your fingers.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Helene, my doctor didn’t mention cutting back on salt. I don’t retain fluid anywhere else, so I don’t think that is a problem for me in general. The way he described it, it’s more of a valve problem that allows fluid to pool in my fingers when they are still for long periods of time, such as while I’m sleeping. The only remedy is to move them again, which is where the pain comes in, but once I’ve flexed and straightened them a few times, the pain goes away. I’ve noticed a similar issue when I walk for exercise. If I walk with my arms down, they get very stiff and feel swollen. I try to walk with my elbows bent, but usually forget after awhile u til my fingers start hurting. DH says he notices the same thing with walking in his hands, but he doesn’t get it at night (yet).
  • mdubbs1
    Isn't it amazing what can go wrong with us that we didn't even know was a thing?

I started researching the bumps that have developed on my left palm and quit when I decided I didn't really want to know any more. When it feels safe I'll head to the hand surgeon.
  • mdubbs1
    p9gfyaim4o3p.png
  • mdubbs1
    All the cheeto can think of to do is voter suppression. Actually govern? Not capable of it.
  • Helene610
    I have a couple of bumps inside my mouth. There are un the inside where my lips are. I’ve had them forever and they don’t hurt. I just know they are there if I run my tongue over them. The hygienist always checks my mouth and neck for any lumps or bumps. I don’t think she ever noticed these and I never mentioned them. When I saw the new hygienist, I thought I should ask her about them. She check and said they are salivary glands and perfectly normal. It was a relief to hear they were nothing.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - that's good news!
  • mdubbs1
    Well, I've apparently emptied the local stores of Stewart's diet root beer and made a dent on Amazon.

Now we're going to have a diet root beer experiment. I went on Amazon and order three brands I never heard of - Fitz's, Boylan's, and Hank's. I guess that's dangerous in a way. What if I LOVE one of them and can never get it again? LOL! I'm such a worrywart.
  • Helene610
    Since I got serious about my steps a couple of weeks ago, I’ve lost one and a half pounds of my quarantine five pounds. I’ve gone back to daily weighing and food logging. I guess one good habit begets others.