2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    PamS53 wrote: »
    My DH is quite handy, which is both a plus and a minus. His timeline and mine are rarely the same, but if I get tired of waiting and call someone to make a repair or do something he could do, it does not go well. Then there have been incidents where, in the course of repairing something, unintended consequences have cost us more than replacing the item would have. Prime example being when he was determined to repair our 20 year old microwave but while doing it he messed up his knee and needed several weeks of physical therapy which we had to pay for out of pocket because we had not met our deductible for the year yet. We could have bought 5 top of the line microwaves for what that cost.

Oh, I can relate to the pluses and minuses.

Growing up my dad did nothing handy. He just "called John Jacobs". It was a small town and John was the handyman. Except for the cars. They went down to the street to "Ducky". When I bought my first car I asked my dad what needed done routinely (I was SO proud of myself both for buying the car (a used tan Volkswagen bug for which my dad had to cosign) and for asking about maintenance. When the battery went dry I asked dad why he didn't tell me batteries need water (I mean, I ASKED!) His answer? "Ducky does that."

DH's household was the exact opposite. His dad did everything. DH expects to and pretty much does, from electrical work to the computers. He's just not very good at plumbing and he admits that. I've told him I have to die first, and I'm not really kidding. Between his fix it skills and the mounds of "stuff" I can't get him to declutter.
  • mdubbs1
    Well, crossing my fingers, the second plumber visit seems to have done the trick. Still a lot of cleanup to do unfortunately. Our house was built in 1948 and parts are showing their age.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Maryanne, they probably didn’t have election ballots printed up yet. They’d have to wait until the primaries were decided to know who the candidates would be. We applied for primary and election ballots on the same application. We just had the primary yesterday. I’ll let you know how long it takes to get the election ballot.
  • mdubbs1
    I do feel sorry for the plumbers. DH insists on "helping". I'm sure they are thinking dire thoughts. LOL!

The second one this week admitted he'd never seen a dishwasher like ours and he really puzzled over it. When we moved in there was one that you pull up to the sink to use. We've bought newer versions but never went to a built in. The cats need the top of it to get out on the cat porch and the cats are in charge.
  • mdubbs1
    edited September 2020
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Maryanne, they probably didn’t have election ballots printed up yet. They’d have to wait until the primaries were decided to know who the candidates would be. We applied for primary and election ballots on the same application. We just had the primary yesterday. I’ll let you know how long it takes to get the election ballot.

No but most blue states are just sending out ballots. Why this idiot governor decided instead to add a whole extra step - sending everyone absentee ballot applications - I have no clue. Some of his strange actions I can mentally tie to his obvious desire to run for president in 2024 as a republican but this election thing I can't figure out. He would seem to get him no advantage. There's no way he can suppress enough votes to swing this state to the cheeto.
  • Helene610
    MA also sent out applications only. It was a fold up postcard. The ballots themselves were heavier and the postage was more for the ballot than for the postcards. I have a feeling it was cost related. Actual ballots only went out to those who requested them. I think it was more about economics than voter suppression.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Texas also uses a 2 step process. Those of us over 65 automatically received an application for an absentee ballot which had to be completed and returned. Now I’m waiting for my actual ballot to arrive. I still haven’t decided if I will use it or go and vote early in person. If I do go to vote in person I will have to surrender the absentee ballot at the polling no place.

DH’s sister has been driving me nuts for the last few days. She wants to take a trip somewhere, anywhere, in early October over my birthday. Of course, she doesn’t remember that it’s my birthday. Everywhere she wants to go involves flying somewhere, which I am still not comfortable with. I finally told her this morning that this just isn’t how I want to spend my birthday this year. Hopefully she will back off now. I really wish she had a friend or two she would ask to do trips with her instead of always relying on me. I feel pressured to go along with her even though I often have no interest in going where she wants to go. She’s fairly inflexible about going where I am interested in visiting but always expects me to go along with her itinerary.
  • mdubbs1
    I haven't laid eyes on DH's sister (or his one remaining living brother) in decades.

There must be a happy medium somewhere. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    My email isn't catching nearly all the spam coming through these days.

Some of it is bizarre.

Subject line: Single and cold? Warm up with your Christian match

I kid you not. Could I make that up?

Christiancafe.com. Their "motto". All Christian. All single.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Did an hour of exercise this morning Pouring rain with flash flood watches. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be acceptable.

This is an example of our color coding for activities. Greeb is good to go; yellow is a cautionary with a few limitations; orange and red--forget about activities. A new one will be issued each week for the weekend and coming week. The Gov has already closed the bars again in the county where WVU students were partying and bar hopping without masks, etc. One week of WVU students raised our contagion rate to one of the highest in the nation from a previous low.

rs3axoaddzf5.png

• Helene610
    Jean, what color is your county? Did you all see Trump on the news today? He was encouraging his NC supporters to commit voter fraud. He told them to request and mail in ballots. On Election Day, he tells them to go vote in person. It’s supposed to a check on if the mail in ballots arrived. He’ll do anything to cast doubts on the voting process.

Pam, stand up to SIL and tell her you’re not traveling during a pandemic. Don’t go where you don’t want to go or put your health at risk for her. She can’t guilt you into it if you don’t let her. A friend asked me to go to a luncheon meeting next week. The few times we’ve been out for lunch, it was outside with just us or a couple of friends. I’m not comfortable in a group setting even if they limit attendance. We’re probably talking about 50 people plus servers. I thought about it overnight and then emailed her that I’m not going. I’ll go out to lunch with just her but I don’t know how careful Other members have been.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I did tell SIL that I didn’t want to do any of the trips she was suggesting and she seems to have dropped it for now. I won’t be surprised if it comes up again while we’re at the beach next week but I don’t intend to give in on this. As DH pointed out, what happens if we fly somewhere but one of us has a fever on the day of our return flight? I don’t want to risk being stranded and sick in a strange town, unable to get back home. I know it’s unlikely, but it is possible. At this point, I would only fly if it were an emergency and time critical for me to get somewhere quickly.
  • Helene610
    It’s also possible someone on the plane or that you come in contact with during your stay comes down with Covid. Then you’d be forced to quarantine there for 2 weeks. It’s a no win situation no matter how you look at it.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--I am in a "green" county. How long that will remain is always the question.

Pam--Don't go where you aren't comfortable. I just cancelled a trip to see a friend simply because the area in which she lives is experiencing a surge and she has been out and about often.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I did tell SIL that I didn’t want to do any of the trips she was suggesting and she seems to have dropped it for now. I won’t be surprised if it comes up again while we’re at the beach next week but I don’t intend to give in on this. As DH pointed out, what happens if we fly somewhere but one of us has a fever on the day of our return flight? I don’t want to risk being stranded and sick in a strange town, unable to get back home. I know it’s unlikely, but it is possible. At this point, I would only fly if it were an emergency and time critical for me to get somewhere quickly.

That would be terrible - to get sick far from home!
  • KonaKat
    I got in 66 active minutes of exercise today, according to my FitBit. It was actually a few more minutes but some of them were not of the rate considered higher than the HR for regular walking.
  • mdubbs1
    8pfzga48roi9.png
  • Helene610
    Who put all that cheese on my pizza? I asked for light cheese and extra pepperoni. So says White Cat.
  • Helene610
    My Fitbit stopped syncing a few days ago. I read online a number of people had the same problem. I’m kicking myself I didn’t buy the extended warranty. I tried all user suggestions and spent an hour on chat with the help desk worked. I bought it in February so I’m bummed that it failed so soon.
  • mdubbs1
    I decided it was time to make my ticker look less like spring---

m0oqvr77heqd.png